• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands was always the destination for Marijuana but even there it was never really totally legal. We've seen big movements in the Americas with Uruguay legalizing weed nationally in 2014, but Colorado and Washington states legalizing in 2012 and so far legalized in 11 states and DC to date. Legal weed in the USA doesn't appear to be in any trouble because even the Trump admin hasn't clamped down on states with legal weed and they keep expanding. Canada legalizes weed nationwide starting January 2019.

Untitled.png

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who doesn't smoke so I don't really follow where it is or isn't legalized, that map really puts things into perspective. I didn't realize the US was that far along.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
I think in the US, the process of legalizing it in those states started as ballot initiatives where they get X amount of signatures then its added to the ballot to be voted on. Don't know if European countries have a similar process.

If I was a betting man, I'd say support for legal marijuana is stronger in EU than in the US

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts passed legalized marijuana in 2016 after decriminalizing it in 2014 but it took 2+ years for it to finally be purchased legally. Was a massive clusterfuck at first too because the state botched approving stores and cultivation facilities. But ... 8 or 9 months later things are pretty smooth now.

There's still a large black market but I think it's driven by price. The legal retail marijuana is pretty expensive, $40 or so for an 1/8, upwards of $50 or $60 for specific strains. You get what you pay for but the black market fills that lower cost.

Surprisingly Canada has some weird restrictions like no vape pens or edibles in their government stores right?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I've somehow managed to live a full and productive life without perceiving any benefit in inhaling smoke of any kind. I'm now in my sixties so I can get all the drugs I need free from any pharmacist, and legally. That doesn't include cannabis, but I don't think anybody seriously proposes that it could be some wonder drug.

Do European countries screen for weed in drug test ran through jobs?

I've never been drug tested for a job myself. For most jobs that sounds rather unnecessary. Maybe driving jobs would merit such an intrusive test, but first you'd have to persuade candidates that the job was worth the bother. Sounds like a pretty high bar.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I think in the US, the process of legalizing it in those states started as ballot initiatives where they get X amount of signatures then its added to the ballot to be voted on. Don't know if European countries have a similar process.

Yeah, good point. I also wonder if Europe has a similar ballot process.

Nov 23, 2017
The reason is they probably never had strongly enforced any laws about it anyway nor used those laws to systemically oppress an underclass like in the US, so there was never a political movement to change the laws about it.

Edit: talking more about continental Europe, feel like the UK history with it is much more like the US' history with it.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If I was a betting man, I'd say support for legal marijuana is stronger in EU than in the US
Illinois just did it legislatively. Canada too. Hopefully the trend continues here. No good reason to not just legalize it.

Sep 7, 2018
As a citizen of one of the nordic countries I do not support legalization, even if it is comparable to alchohol. It is inevitable that there will be people that will be addicted, along with other external costs to society. It will increase the strain on government finances, and as a taxpayer I do not want to add another factor that will increase the cost of our social safety nets.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
personally I think it's a combination of the illegality of it barely being enforced in the first place for users, and all the available political focus and capital being completely taken up by other matters - the immigration/refugee crisis and rise of right-wing populism across the continent for example (right wingers being exactly the kind of people to impose "law and order:, and not be too favourable to progressive drug policies) among other things. brexit in the UK, catalonia here in Spain, the reactionary regimes of hungary and poland. the nordics - who would otherwise likely be the policy leaders in the field, given nordic social democracy - are I believe notoriously strict on drug laws and culture, and I'm not sure why? etc etc

meanwhile in the US devolved state legislation means different governments and parts of the country can all proceed at their own pace even if President Wacko would never legalise, and of course that means progressive areas like colorado and the pacific northwest push right on ahead. Canada under Trudeau has so far avoided the whole right wing populism thing (though who knows for how long given current trajectories) and, besides I guess the China and Saudi Arabia diplomatic crises and that whole domestic legal fiasco, maybe had their political landscape free enough for this sort of thing to go through?

basically I imagine it's like how germany took forever to legalise gay marriage, mostly because of political inertia and other priorities, without really reflecting the changes in the populace.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a citizen of one of the nordic countries I do not support legalization, even if it is comparable to alchohol. It is inevitable that there will be people that will be addicted, along with other external costs to society. It will increase the strain on government finances, and as a taxpayer I do not want to add another factor that will increase the cost of our social safety nets.

How can you compare marijuana to alcohol? One kills tens of thousands of people a year and the other doesn't kill anyone. Also you are ignoring the tax that would be raised on legalising it.

Oct 27, 2017
Do European countries screen for weed in drug test ran through jobs?

I've never been drug tested. The notion is bizarre to me. Do you get drug tested in the US as a matter of routine?

I live in Europe and it isn't legal here but it's barely illegal either unless you have dealer quantities on you. Nobody and I mean nobody is in jail for getting caught with a personal quantity of weed on them. The will to legalise isn't really there from anyone I don't think.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
the thing is if I can waltz into Walmart and buy 6 cases of Budweiser with no questions asked, stroll into the liquor store and buy my buddies Jim, Jack and Jose, and drive down and buy tacos from Taco Bell, chicken from Kentucky Fried, burgers from Wendy's/McDonalds/Burger King, and a Blizzard from Dairy Queen, there is absolutely no reason I can't ingest weed. All of those things are worse for me than smoking a bowl or five.

though those five bowls explain why I need all that garbage

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017

Keeping cannabis criminalized is in fact more expensive, mainly due to the cost of incarceration and law enforcement. Then there's the significant revenue legalization brings in. The sum result is that legalization is a net positive economically.

Here in the US, we've seen large savings, reduced teen use, and no significant change in traffic accidents. It's also providing an alternative to horribly addictive opiates. Legalization has been a resounding success.

I'd suggest reading more about the results of legalization, because there isn't really any good argument against it.

Zento

Oct 28, 2017
Tech industry in New Zealand doesn't really get tested for anything. It's pretty lax here to be honest, unless you're growing large scale and dealing police have better things to do than small possession. A referendum next year is due to legalise nationally (hopefully).

OP
OP
konka

konka

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been drug tested. The notion is bizarre to me. Do you get drug tested in the US as a matter of routine?

I live in Europe and it isn't legal here but it's barely illegal either unless you have dealer quantities on you. Nobody and I mean nobody is in jail for getting caught with a personal quantity of weed on them. The will to legalise isn't really there from anyone I don't think.

Barely illegal and legal with stores you can walk into off the street to buy regulated edibles, flower, etc whenever you want are very different things though.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
As a swede, growing up in the nineties/early 00's marijuana just wasn't that common. It's become more popular but I don't think it's anywhere close to america before decriminalization. Also cannabis wasn't a thing with our parents so they are still of the mindset that grass leads to heavier drugs and psychosis. I think you need to reach an inter generational critical mass for these things to change.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the rollout here has been pretty damn bad, especially here in ontario, but there's no question that it should be legalized. it's fucking lunacy how something so ultimately harmless is treated so harshly compared to alcohol which is about a billion times more destructive.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Almost every job I've worked has drug tested me.

Weed is a no go in a lot of professions in the US. Companies don't mind paying for them either. One place I was at would straight up run them at random throughout the year. Pretty ridiculous imo.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People go to jail in Germany for not having a train ticket, marijuana being illegal is just another feature of our bullshit legal system.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost every job I've worked has drug tested me.

Weed is a no go in a lot of professions in the US. Companies don't mind paying for them either. One place I was at would straight up run them at random throughout the year. Pretty ridiculous imo.

Was this a job where being high could put you or someone else in danger, or was this a desk job? If it was the latter then what the fuck.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wait weed isn't fully legal in the Netherlands? I've been bamboozled

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
From one of the nordic countries but spoken like an American Conservative in the South. Damn

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Was this a job where being high could put you or someone else in danger, or was this a desk job? If it was the latter then what the fuck.

Literally just tech support for a pretty big company. I get it for government jobs and what you mentioned above, but helping old people on the phone with computers?

It didn't stop people from showing high anyway.