Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Literally just tech support for a pretty big company. I get it for government jobs and what you mentioned above, but helping old people on the phone with computers?

It didn't stop people from showing high anyway.
The issue with drug testing for THC is besides it being invasive, it also lasts way too long in your body. Why would anyone give a shit if someone smoked a joint a week and a half ago on a Saturday night? Sucks

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Massachusetts passed legalized marijuana in 2016 after decriminalizing it in 2014 but it took 2+ years for it to finally be purchased legally. Was a massive clusterfuck at first too because the state botched approving stores and cultivation facilities. But ... 8 or 9 months later things are pretty smooth now.

There's still a large black market but I think it's driven by price. The legal retail marijuana is pretty expensive, $40 or so for an 1/8, upwards of $50 or $60 for specific strains. You get what you pay for but the black market fills that lower cost.

Surprisingly Canada has some weird restrictions like no vape pens or edibles in their government stores right?
I believe Canadians will have access to edibles, concentrates, and topicals after the middle of December.

Oct 29, 2017
I think a combination of less usage and lower punishments to begin with means less incentives to campaign for legalization. I don't smoke myself (used to) but I hope it will be legal in all of Europe some day.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Different societal priorities or something? Doesn't look like most of the world cares that much.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Probably because I need to get somewhere and the prices are ridiculously expensive.
Walk? Sorry, I'm not going to feel a whole lot of sympathy for someone who simply wants to get a free ride (literally). Just because you feel something costs more than you think it should does not entitle you to take it. Anyway, they probably when making the law didn't think anyone was foolish enough to risk jail time to avoid a train fare.

You can go to jail for weeks/months depending on how often you got caught and if you paid the fine.

You shouldn't ever get caught, because you should always pay...

As to the rest of the world being slow to adopt cannabis legalisations, it's probably not as big a deal as it was in the US, but hopefully more come around because it doesn't seem that cannabis is all that harmful, and probably less so than alcohol.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Barely illegal and legal with stores you can walk into off the street to buy regulated edibles, flower, etc whenever you want are very different things though.
It is an important reason as to why there has been no major movements to legalize it though. If you can easily get a hold of it and don't get arrested for posession people tend to not care as much as opposed to the US where it being legal vs illegal is a day and night difference.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
TIL cannabis isn't even technically legal in the Netherlands? WUT

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've never actually been drug tested during employment (employers say they have the right to do it at any time, but in my experience only ever do when there is some kind of accident or something), rather only at hiring.

Basically what it comes down to is that the drug tests aren't "we want to make sure you never use drugs" and more "we want to make sure you aren't so hopelessly addicted that you can't quit using drugs for a couple of weeks before the test"

Your workplace doesn't care if you smoke weed, they only care if it will affect your productivity.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've never actually been drug tested during employment (employers say they have the right to do it at any time, but in my experience only ever do when there is some kind of accident or something), rather only at hiring.

Basically what it comes down to is that the drug tests aren't "we want to make sure you never use drugs" and more "we want to make sure you aren't so hopelessly addicted that you can't quit using drugs for a couple of weeks before the test"
But a good chunk of drug test screenings are random

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
marijuana is nowhere near the same level of popularity in Europe as it is in the U.S, and nor is its enforcement and punishment so heavy handed as it was/is in the U.S. unless you are a drug dealer, personal possession is very low on priority. drug screenings are very rare, never had one either personally.

People go to jail in Germany for not having a train ticket, marijuana being illegal is just another feature of our bullshit legal system.
unless you are not paying the fines and repeatedly not buying a ticket, I have never heard of someone going to jail for this. besides, unless you are using ICE, using regional trains is pretty cheap.

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
But a good chunk of drug test screenings are random

Maybe in certain professions, but I've never worked anywhere that has a significant number of random drug screenings.

They claim there could be random drug screenings but they don't seem to ever happen. Maybe that's just coincidental where I have worked, but I've worked in both public and private sector and I can't recall any random drug screenings.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Don't commit the crime, no problem. How much jail time we talking here? If it's just a night or two, just buy a ticket.

he is spreading bullshit. you don't go to jail for not buying a train ticket.

if you get caught without a ticket and straight up refuse to pay for it over an extended period of time because you are an entitled ass, at some point they can convert it to jail time.

no different than refusing to pay taxes or something like that.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do Americans compare their one country to the entirety of Europe, that's made up of several different countries.

That's my question.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
he is spreading bullshit. you don't go to jail for not buying a train ticket.

if you get caught without a ticket and straight up refuse to pay for it over an extended period of time because you are an entitled ass, at some point they can convert it to jail time.

no different than refusing to pay taxes or something like that.
You have no idea what you are talking about. If the public transportation provider presses charges against you it will go to trial no matter if you paid in the meantime.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
How can you compare marijuana to alcohol? One kills tens of thousands of people a year and the other doesn't kill anyone. Also you are ignoring the tax that would be raised on legalising it.

No one? You do realise driving under the influence of drugs kills people, too? Or that marijuana is the well-known entry drug for harder drugs like cocaine or meth? You're completely downplaying the threat of this drug and I'm for one am very glad it's forbidden where I live and I hope it stays that way.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd legalise it in the UK, but mostly because whatever strain the dealers round here grow smells like fucking vomit. Maybe then my neighbour could smoke without making the neighbourhood smell like shit

It's not like the police have the resources or the willpower to enforce a ban here anyway. Might as well legislate and tax it. No desire whatsoever to smoke myself, though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they'd legalise it in the UK, but mostly because whatever strain the dealers round here grow smells like fucking vomit. Maybe then my neighbour could smoke without making the neighbourhood smell like shit

It's not like the police have the resources or the willpower to enforce a ban here anyway. Might as well legislate and tax it. No desire whatsoever to smoke myself, though.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess there is no war on drug and it's kinda an accepted behavior.

No one i know got in trouble for smoking it, so there is less pressure for calling a broad legalization.

You still have some politician calling for legalization but it's not see as a priority.

Last edited:

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhm.... That map is wrong... It's not decreminalised in Belgium... I was at interrogation a few weeks back of a guy who was caught with some..

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is that amp accurate? I thought Portugal made drugs legal some years ago.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
No one? You do realise driving under the influence of drugs kills people, too? Or that marijuana is the well-known entry drug for harder drugs like cocaine or meth? You're completely downplaying the threat of this drug and I'm for one am very glad it's forbidden where I live and I hope it stays that way.

That's nonsense, sorry.

Some good answers were already given:
-there is not much political pressure because the situation is functionally the same as legalization.
-there is not much room for societal debate because of other more pressing problems

I'd like to add that decriminalization has had negative effects for Dutch border towns. Couriers bought supply and the drove it to countries where mj is still illegal. Pressure from those countries and the border towns is also a counteracting force.

And discussions about how to legalize are still ongoing. There are test planned with government grown weed.

I think in this very specific case, the US full confidence in market economics is actually a boon. Here, there are worries that the supply side that is dominated by criminal elements will be guided into legality without seeing any sort of punishment for actual crimes. While buying as a consumer is a fairly relaxed affair, the supply side is still very much a place where criminal elements reside.

Jan 11, 2019
Around here, we are hesitant to legalize new drugs since we've already suffering the consequences of making beer and wine such a normal part of our everyday lives. You can get beer at the store at 16 where I live. Good look trying to raise that age limit lol. Yea we love booze and many love it a bit too much. You might say, we're… traumatized almost.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You're right on the first part and dead wrong on the second part.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Basically the precautionary principle: for a minute lets ignore the existing legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco which were grandfathered in, most European countries have adopted the EU's precautionary principle: basically those proposing an action have to prove that it is harmless or the harm is not significant.

This is different from Canada and the US where it's the harm which has to be proven. While marijuana is relatively safe, there's not really the depth of studies to prove that especially in the realm of mental health ergo it currently fails on the precautionary principle. Given the money being made in the US on legal weed, I imagine there will be a boat load of studies launched to give legal cover, it'll just be slower here in Europe.

Aside from that, the UK aside there's never really been the same crackdown on it as there was in the US. It's not legal in most of Europe but it's tolerated.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I got the impression here in the UK the police generally tolerate weed, and bust a farm every so often for appearances sake. Correct me if I'm wrong

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands was always the destination for Marijuana but even there it was never really totally legal. We've seen big movements in the Americas with Uruguay legalizing weed nationally in 2014, but Colorado and Washington states legalizing in 2012 and so far legalized in 11 states and DC to date. Legal weed in the USA doesn't appear to be in any trouble because even the Trump admin hasn't clamped down on states with legal weed and they keep expanding. Canada legalizes weed nationwide starting January 2019.

Untitled.png
I'd say a lot of the push for legalisation in America amongst the more liberally minded comes as a result of your 'war on drugs' and the mass incarceration of young black men for drug related non-violent crimes.

In my experience, our police don't give a shit by and large, I've lived in several places where you'd just walk down the street smoking weed and nothing would ever happen.

I think if our police were more cunts about it like American police then you'd probably see more of a push, my family in Spain grow marijuana so they're fine. I can't speak for the rest of Europe because they're different countries.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It won't, and I'm glad people like you will be ignored.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly at this point in the UK it might as well be - the amount of people who smoke it openly in the public is staggering to me. I remember as a teen smoking hashish (we had that rather than weed for some reason) we basically hid away petrified of being caught, this was 22 ~ years ago.

Also the amount of people I know who are openly growing it and again publicly talking about it is equally staggering.

I want it legalised as all the weed around where I live is so fucking strooong, no one seems to grow any mellow stuff anymore so I just don't ever smoke it.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just decriminalise it. Fuck legalizing it, don't want big corporations pushing out the small independents. Marijuana has been a good equalizer in the profits going to the lower classes and not big business like alcohol.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Funny, Sweden just made smoking in general in public areas illegal. And are on track to outright ban smoking in the next decade. Hopefully vaping will also be part of that, and all the other shit that falls in the same bucket of poo.

As for use in home, I couldn't care less if people killed themselves fast, let alone poisoned themselves over many years.