Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
If you're able to do what you love or love what you do, there should be no reason to despise it. The simple fact is that's not the case for most people, and when you combine it with debts accrued over time, it's no wonder the goal for many is be lucky enough to not have to deal with it anymore

I'm in my 20s. Between my current living situation (at least temporarily) being month-to-month and having two student loans to paid off, even if I live long enough, I don't see myself being able to afford to retire. I talk to friends about it and a terrifying amount of them are in the exact same position at best (some of them also have credit card debts, car payments etc they don't see themselves getting paid off any realistic time soon)

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Being forced to wake up early every day and spend the majority of the time you are awake doing stuff you don't want to, just so you can avoid not starving to death? Nope, can't really see why some people might despise it at all.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
People can still feel lonely with a job, especially if their work environment is no good.
That depends on where you work. I wear headphones listening to podcasts all night, and don't talk to any of those horrible people.

Certainly. It's just a grass is always greener situation. I'd love more than anything to go back to work. I didn't retire by choice. I loved the people I worked with. I also realize that I'd be less enthusiastic if I hated the work I did.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I just find it insane that after everything our species had to do to evolve we managed to find a way to fuck over everyone and force jobs on them.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I just find it insane that after everything our species had to do to evolve we managed to find a way to fuck over everyone and force jobs on them.
Jared Diamond wrote a essay on this. He said Agriculture was the worse human invention.

Hunter gatherers "work" much fewer hours. But then you wouldn't have the arts we have now. Was it worth it?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think I would carry on "working" if I won the lottery, but as of recent years I wouldn't want to perpetuate the bullshit myths of "enjoyable work is not working". The systems failing to provide meaningful work and the future is a majority working as Uber drivers / Amazon workers. I wouldn't want to be held up as a millionaire who works.

Now I would probably be a wealthy patron for a theatre company for the disabled or something that enables people traditionally rejected by a capitalist society.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There's bragging about how you have a good job you enjoy.

Then there's bragging about not being blue collar.

Then there's bragging about having enough money an dprivallege that you can fail several passion projects straight out of school and still go onto to an enjoyable job.

Then, all the way below that, there's bragging about how you enjoy your white collar, high paying, presumably easy as can be comfortable job so much that you are mentally unable to comprehend why other people working shit 40-50 hour jobs don't enjoy working.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Work gets in the way of my happiness and my dreams. I save money so I may someday buy my way out of this hell.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Seems like he has fun hobbies. What does he do?

I guess it seems the prevailing narrative of lottery winnings is always the same old stuff--quit my job, travel the world. I'm a travel junkie, so I can relate. But even traveling gets old after a while. Moreover, I sincerely believe that people want a purpose greater than themselves. And if you you're winning billions think of the passion projects you can pursue, along with some that may help humanity.

Maybe I'm too idealistic lol.
What does he do ? Read books , watch tv , go for coffee lol. Goes to Europe every 2 years .

I think there's two premises to your thread . A. Would you quit your job B. Would you do absolutely nothing .

They aren't quite the same for everyone

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'd rather have time for fun than work. But if I'm doing work I enjoy I'd keep doing it. Just on my own schedule instead of every day or whatever

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
There's bragging about how you have a good job you enjoy.

Then there's bragging about not being blue collar.

Then there's bragging about having enough money an dprivallege that you can fail several passion projects straight out of school and still go onto to an enjoyable job.

Then, all the way below that, there's bragging about how you enjoy your white collar, high paying, presumably easy as can be comfortable job so much that you are mentally unable to comprehend why other people working shit 40-50 hour jobs don't enjoy working.
He wasn't bragging. You're just insecure.

Madouu

Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is that it is modern jobs that are despised, not work.

The distinction needs to be made between jobs and work.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because my employer steals my surplus value

Aka pay me more
so I can work less hours ANTI WORK AKTION

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Man I gotta say OP, you're right that you're privileged. Almost every time you post on things related to Capitalism or jobs in general it shows. Just comes off as very naiive.

Try being poor with few opportunities for a while. Or, like, anyone other than who you seem to be at this point in your life.

Last edited:

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Because instead of working I can have a daily routine of going to the gym, playing a musical instrument 3 hours a days, devote another 3 hours reading and spend an hour cooking a great meal. By the time this is all done l will still have spent less time than the typical work day. That's how much work really takes away from your life.

I can see the appeal of wanting to work two or three days a week but keeping a full-time job while you can do anything you want?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
He wasn't bragging. You're just insecure.

Insecure? In what way? I know my jobs shit, I don't think otherwise.

The OP is asking "I enjoy my job, why don't people wanna do their jobs?". If they're not trying to stealth brag the alternative ain't a good look.

People commit suicide all the time from overwork. End up homeless or destitute. Their mental health drained and destroyed. Treated like dirt and for what? Barely enough to pay rent.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because 95% will work soul sucking jobs where we are exploited by those who work less than us but make 10 times more than we everh ope to make.

Oct 25, 2017
AgitatedSatisfiedEelelephant-size_restricted.gif
This is more accurate.

tenor.gif

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Insecure? In what way? I know my jobs shit, I don't think otherwise.

The OP is asking "I enjoy my job, why don't people wanna do their jobs?". If they're not trying to stealth brag the alternative ain't a good look.
He's asking why people don't like work in general, not their current job.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much despising work as having the freedom to choose what you want to spend your time working on. At least that's how I view it. My job pays pretty good but I hate the work. I'm pretty much only there for the steady income at this point. Challenge and stress comes with just about every job, but I'd tolerate it much easier if it were something I intrinsically cared about.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And most people in situations like that just can't take risks. No quitting your job or working part-time in order to work on your dreams...

That's really the big difference, see also yesterday's thread on why being born rich is a bigger factor for having success than skill. With an abundance of money, you can take risks and do all that shit, possibly leading to more success...
Precisely. Rich people can afford to make mistakes and take risks while the rest of us have to mind ourselves to not be fired and thus threaten our lives.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really understand the confusion about this at all

People who complain about their work are typically feeling worn out or simply don't like what they do, but are forced to do it to make money

I don't believe a single person on this forum would honestly not prefer to win the lottery right now and pursue creative endeavors on their own, as working at your own pace on your own time without threat to their own financial status is always just going to be preferable

You also mention teamwork and overcoming problems, which may be fine in your position, but in something like retail work would be more of a nightmare than anything else

This just seems like a question with a really basic answer

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Probably because work means making millions/billions off of people you treat like shit, pay barely above minimum wage, certainly not a minimum wage, as they struggle and die in agony while you get rich?

Yeah I think that's why work is despised.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I would never get bored of watching tv shows, playing games and reading. I could easily never do another second of work in my life and be completely satisfied.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Alienation of labor or something like that according to Marx. Working to make the CEO richer is not fun, neither is knowing you are a cog in a machine that's easily replaceable.

I'm trying to remember but basically capitalism has people working jobs they mentally log out of because it's for money to buy shit they don't need.

Wait Marx or Fight Club? Either or both.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It largely depends on the type of work you do.

Work in a lot of cases is a means to an end and the only source of income for most people, and if you do not like what you do I think you learn to despise it. Even if you do like what you do, burnout is real and time, attention, and energy are all finite things for us. Getaways, a break in routine, or entertainment is a good escape for that. It always struck me as odd when work is celebrated though. There was a post I saw a while back on Facebook about a phlebotomist friend working like 40 something hours across 2 and a half days. What is there to brag about? That sounds awful. This idea that working yourself to death seems crazy to, especially when you read about how things are going in Japan with their work culture. No one should want that imo.

I have learned that I like having a job since it keeps my head straight, and just being super rich and doing anything I want sounds kind of terrible to me. Freedom to me works best when it's paired with discipline in some shape or form. I will never play the lotto because well, I do not think money will solve all my current issues. But I will put my efforts into running my own business or freelancing, because ultimately that is the kind of life I want. I have worked under companies for all my adult life so far and the experience hasn't been one that I could see myself doing well into my 30s. It's a rat race and it is quite easy to get stuck in it.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Man I gotta say OP, you're right that you're privileged. Almost every time you post on things related to Capitalism or jobs in general it shows. Just comes off as very naiive.

Try being poor with few opportunities for a while. Or, like, anyone other than who you seem to be at this point in your life.
I think there's is fundamental difference in how people are reading the question.

I'm not looking for an answer. Like there a definite answer to question as broad as this one. I'm lookng for people's opinion on the matter.

I know of the many answers. They're obvious. But my question is what do you think.

Many have given interesting answers here. Work is a huge part of our lives. But if you find the topic uninteresting or too obvious you don't need to participate.

I've enjoyed reading the sincere responses to the question.

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
If the majority of people could live comfortably while still working a crap job I'm sure work wouldn't be despised as much but unfortunately that's not the case.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I would work... maybe a couple hours a week if I would feel like it. I'm just much happier outside work.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think I would carry on "working" if I won the lottery, but as of recent years I wouldn't want to perpetuate the bullshit myths of "enjoyable work is not working". The systems failing to provide meaningful work and the future is a majority working as Uber drivers / Amazon workers. I wouldn't want to be held up as a millionaire who works.

Now I would probably be a wealthy patron for a theatre company for the disabled or something that enables people traditionally rejected by a capitalist society.

Well, that and the bullshit that nowadays we all "just" have to constantly "reinvent" ourselves. Yes, just what I want to do, spend tons of my time not at work spending money learning new skills so that I stay relevant only to get passed over anyway for some younger person. Hell of a life, that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's because it takes up the majority of your waking hours and instead you could be doing other things

If I didn't have to work I would sleep until 9am. Then I'd go on a walk. Then I'd chill with some coffee and some food. Then I'd go for a swim, hot tub, and sauna. Then I'd have lunch. Then I'd play some video games. Then I'd read some stuff. Then I'd write some stuff. I'd travel whenever I wanted to, etc, etc, etc.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
I took the summer off and no part of me wanted to go back to work. I kind of even enjoy my career path. I enjoy just about everything else more though.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely easy to pass the time not working. Whenever I do have a weekday off at home it's like holy shit it's 3pm already!?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Most work is mundane or someone solving a problem that has been solved millions of times before by another person in another company. Very rarely are people actually doing what I would call meaningful work. Especially if they can be eventually replaced by automation.

Having more money that one can spend allows people to do what they really want to do and to take risks without fearing failure. That can be liberating and not be seen as work but experiencing passion.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I'm retired. There are plenty of things to occupy your time, and doing volunteer work is also rewarding.

I think the biggest difference is the interaction with people. While I got along with most coworkers, there are always some who can make you despise your work. All it takes is one or two. Even worse if it's a boss or supervisor.
You also act differently. Some people are great to work with, others you tolerate, others you really would rather not deal with at all. Unfortunately you can't always do that so you have to grin and bear it and act differently than what you would prefer.

Now I have 100% control of who I interact with. If I think a person is a jerk or a negative influence, I can ignore and avoid that person. I no longer have to be that good coworker with assholes and idiots. I chose and deal with my friends only and no longer need to be a work acquaintance.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I think there's is fundamental difference in how people are reading the question.

I'm not looking for an answer. Like there a definite answer to question as broad as this one. I'm lookng for people's opinion on the matter.

I know of the many answers. They're obvious. But my question is what do you think.

Many have given interesting answers here. Work is a huge part of our lives. But if you find the topic uninteresting or too obvious you don't need to participate.

I've enjoyed reading the sincere responses to the question.
I don't think the topic is uninteresting or too obvious, and if I came off as attacking you or saying the general premise wasn't worth discussing that wasn't my intent. I just see the manner in which you discuss these sorts of things and it gives the impression you have a number of blind spots in regards to others' relationships with our understanding of work, jobs, money, etc which influences how you approach this stuff. And that's worth pointing out, not as an attack or dismissal but as a simple acknowledgement. But I'll admit I came off as more antagonistic than I should have and for that I apologize.

Others have said it better than I could, but it does really come down to what one considers "work", what of that is fulfilling, what systemic elements one wants to avoid, etc. Lots of things are "work" but aren't considered "jobs" in our society. Even you ITT (again, not an attack) have at one point framed this in the sense of doing something within a capitalist "job" framework (such as suggesting opening one's own production company), which also led me to my initial comment. But that's only one aspect of it. I'd argue pursuing personal growth (something I value quite a bit) is a lot of work, but that ain't something you can just turn into a "job". On the contrary, being part of the workforce as we understand it can be an impediment to this. Where I live there are a lot of folks who just want to take care of their families & neighbors and be part of a communitt. Is that, as-is without a "job" label attaches, included in "work" here?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I have no talents and gifts, so I'd be okay with it. If I won some ridiculous amount I'd put a shitload of it to good use in the world, though.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because people hate getting up at early in the morning and then having toil away for for hours and then having to deal with their bosses, co-worker, traveling to and from work and only having 2 days off work. Oh and you only get 25 days off for holiday than what you used to get when you were in schools, so that sense of freedom is now gone.

Plus you can spend years working at a company only for them to turn round and make you redundant so you have to do the job hunt.

If I won the lottery then it would give me the freedom to stay at home and just focus on my writing rather than going out to work and then having to work on my novels after work.