• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
because the media and government pegged him as a bad guy, therefor most of the US views him that way. Its a load of crap though like you said OP

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He risked his butt to release info on spying, great.

But let's say hypothetically that the U.S. "system" gets destroyed. It's not like this place just becomes a magical spying-free paradise after that. Other governments will swoop in and take over the infrastructure and it will be back to square one, same shit different day. Maybe even worse. And nobody has recommended a better place to stay, that's also easy to immigrate to.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
This forum is weird. Most people say never buy Huawei because they spy on us, but then get mad on Snowden for showing us the US does the same. Anyone who can expose a government for wrongdoings is a hero to me.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
His passport was revoked on his way to Ecuador so he was stuck in Russia which doesn't have a extradition treaty with the us. In my opinion i see Snowden as a hero but the messeger isn't important what is important is the message.
This is saddening. Half the people in this thread have preconceived notions of what went down and not-a-one cares enough to do even the smallest amount of fact-checking. Thanks for trying tho, Pixel.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Any evidence for this or is it just mindless hysteria?
I know you already know the answer to this, lol... but yep, the latter.
Snowden's a huge nra, alt right moron
Jesus Christ...
why is he a traitor? isn't the goverment spying on their own people the bigger traitorous act?
If you aren't mad about this stuff, but you are angry that Edward Snowden fled the US after providing us hard proof that the Obama administration violated the civil rights of millions of Americans, then there's something deeply wrong with you.
Right?

I'd say that's stupid not brave.
Self-preservation is cowardice, apparently.

He isnt living in Russia rent free buddy. He is giving the FSB information on the NSA. He is well past the point of no return.
What do you mean he didn't take anything with him to Russia or China? Of course he doesn't need to take anything to those countries. They can just sit and have a conversation. Lmao. He can give them names and intelligence about people who work in the government which is highly dangerous.
And of course he is doing it. Do you think Putin is some nice saint who would give him a free pass? Seriously. Answer that question.
He's become a Russian asset and a Wikileaks stooge.

I have no doubt he helped with Russia's election hacking methods.

Russia is using him as negotiation bait.
All of the above is pure conjecture (at best) with zero evidence. Literally none.

Believing that strongly in things that have not a shred of evidence is basically like believing in religion or conspiracy theories.

I agree, once you look at the work that Snowden did to help elect Trump, it does become less surprising.
Are you confusing him with Assange, because that's sheer nonsense.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when liberals like him and conservatives hated him. What he did didn't change but how each side feels about him seems to have swapped.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was because the majority of documents he stole and leaked had nothing to do with what people want to think of him as a hero for.

Oct 25, 2017

Snowden's Twitter was doing strait agitprop shit during the election that pretty much perfectly lined up with what the Russian troll farms were doing. I think it is probably more of a case of him being a dupe than a mastermind but it's not a great look in hindsight.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
This thread is one of the most alarming things I've ever seen on this forum.

What if it is a complicated situation where there is no clear right or wrong? Just a lot of actors all trying to manipulate world events? That is actually what historical precedence would suggest.

The main problem I have with the people who 100% defend Snowden is that they are simplifying things in a way that I see as extremely dangerous.
The US government and media propaganda train immediately shifted the conversation to Snowden himself, when in fact his actions are what really matter, see below:

His passport was revoked on his way to Ecuador so he was stuck in Russia which doesn't have a extradition treaty with the us. In my opinion i see Snowden as a hero but the messeger isn't important what is important is the message.
This is exactly correct. Whatever sensitive data Snowden released is temporary collateral damage compared to the macro, long terms, and lasting effects of illegal and unconstitutional actions by the US government which should, in my view, appal any critical or logically thinking individual. But the US government and media has shifted the conversation to the individual himself.

It really alarms me that people are so angry at Snowden for what he has done, but god forbid being angry at the US government spying on every citizen and its allies in the most appalling and illegal manner. It demonstrates a completely unprincipled stance when it comes to human rights, liberty, and freedom.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I know you already know the answer to this, lol... but yep, the latter.

Jesus Christ...

Right?

Self-preservation is cowardice, apparently.

All of the above is pure conjecture (at best) with zero evidence. Literally none.

Believing that strongly in things that have not a shred of evidence is basically like believing in religion or conspiracy theories.

Tell you what, unless Putin hands him over to the USA, then I will believe he isnt an agent of the FSB and Russia. For now it is what it is.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is exactly correct. Whatever sensitive data Snowden released is temporary collateral damage compared to the macro, long terms, and lasting effects of illegal and unconstitutional actions by the US government which should, in my view, appal any critical or logically thinking individual. But the US government and media has shifted the conversation to the individual himself.

So it was just a big coincidence that Snowden just happened to be staying at the Russian consulate in China before then getting stuck in Russia soon after?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e107edf9897_story.html?utm_term=.d70482d7c34c

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, as I said, pure hindsight. That view was way more accepted back then too. It was "here's my hot take, but Hillary is going to win anyways so it doesnt matter."
It's not pure hindsight!! It was blatant crap then, and it's the type of stuff that was deliberately being played up and amplified at the time because it would encourage people to see it as a "both sides are just as bad" situation.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
the problem isn't that he's treated as a hero but that he's treated as a villain

he exposed some heinous government crimes and now we're all like "what a loser!"

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not pure hindsight!! It was blatant crap then, and it's the type of stuff that was deliberately being played up and amplified at the time because it would encourage people to see it as a "both sides are just as bad" situation.

The man was chased out of the country for exposing the encumbent party's illegal spying on the American people. You gotta be shitting me.

It does this fall under the same "ignore bad stuff when Dems do it" umbrella that Obama's war crimes do?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The man was chased out of the country for exposing the encumbent party's illegal spying on the American people. You gotta be shitting me.
He was a Ron Paul stan who had no problem with the program under Bush and defended government surveillance programs at the time, but freaked out after Obama was elected. And he ran to Russia listening to advice from people like Greenwald/Assange.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
So it was just a big coincidence that Snowden just happened to be staying at the Russian consulate in China before then getting stuck in Russia soon after?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e107edf9897_story.html?utm_term=.d70482d7c34c
What exactly are you responding to in my post? It seems like you are just proving the point I just made that the US propaganda machine has shifted the conversation to one man's 'criminal' actions. Russian connections are just conjecture and irrelevant when discussing the absolutely positive effects of what Snowden revealed and the completely disgusting and illegal actions of the US government.

Snowden's whole "A Choice Between Donald Trump and Goldman Sachs" thing.
Again, people are so caught up in his personal opinions that they cannot see any good in what Snowden has done. Why don't we discuss what Snowden did (prove the US' heinous crimes) versus what the US government did (heinous crimes) instead of just attacking Snowden for what he's said or where he happens to be situated (I don't get how being in Russia somehow completely makes him a Russian stooge and makes right the actions of the US govenrment).

Why aren't people mad that he was forced to flee or of the governments crimes? No, just be mad at someone who was trying to protect the liberty and freedoms of US citizens (and allies).

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people will never like him because he exposed the fact that even Obama was a piece of shit. And a lot of people will like him for exactly that reason. The act of exposing what the government was doing was definitely heroic.

Snowden's whole "A Choice Between Donald Trump and Goldman Sachs" thing.
He wasn't wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
If he had only released information on direct spying on American civilians and then stood for it, he would have been viewed in a much more positive light.

But he didn't just do that. He data dumped a huge amount of operational knowledge that is perfectly legal and normal tradecraft. Then he ran. It should not be surprising (or the work of some propaganda campaign) that he would not be viewed positively in America.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

The US government and media propaganda train immediately shifted the conversation to Snowden himself, when in fact his actions are what really matter, see below:

It really alarms me that people are so angry at Snowden for what he has done, but god forbid being angry at the US government spying on every citizen and its allies in the most appalling and illegal manner. It demonstrates a completely unprincipled stance when it comes to human rights, liberty, and freedom.

Yup, this thread is a sobering reminder that once Trump Republicanism is purged, we still have the long term problem of irrational nationalism and military industrial complex. This might be the issues that millennials and Gen X cling on too as incoming generations are like wtf you old mills stop voting.

Oct 25, 2017
He risked his butt to release info on spying, great.

But let's say hypothetically that the U.S. "system" gets destroyed. It's not like this place just becomes a magical spying-free paradise after that. Other governments will swoop in and take over the infrastructure and it will be back to square one, same shit different day. Maybe even worse. And nobody has recommended a better place to stay, that's also easy to immigrate to.
So don't ever try to change something because nothing will change and hey this not literally the worst place in the world right now anyway.
That's dark.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Yup, this thread is a sobering reminder that once Trump Republicanism is purged, we still have the long term problem of irrational nationalism and military industrial complex. This might be the issues that millennials and Gen X cling on too as incoming generations are like wtf you old mills stop voting.

Gen z is looking more conservative, so I somewhat doubt it.

Nationalism is built into the foundations of most extant states in the West. It's not going away anytime soon because states find it incredibly useful.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gen z is looking more conservative, so I somewhat doubt it.

Nationalism is built into the foundations of most extant states in the West. It's not going away anytime soon because states find it incredibly useful.
I'm a need a source for that Gen Z statement. If you're talking about Incels and 4Chan edgelords than yeah there are a ton but there are a ton of liberal minority groups too.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even IF you accept the idea that he had to flee to Russia (he would've had a much better plan were this not the case.), are you so naive as to think he hasn't told Russian intelligence some useful information to remain alive? So he either betrayed the country with the leaks, or betrayed the country afterwards. He's willing to risk his freedom as you say, but won't die rather than give up vital US intelligence, therefore martyring him further?

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I'm a need a source for that Gen Z statement. If you're talking about Incels and 4Chan edgelords than yeah there are a ton but there are a ton of liberal minority groups too.

This is a pretty well noticed phenomenon I think. Here's the first example I found.

https://www.marketingweek.com/2016/...m-millennial-is-useless/#.V9kYPw2SASg.twitter

Anyway, let's flip this on its head. Why do you assume they would be better? Blind Whiggishness?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
If he had only released information on direct spying on American civilians and then stood for it, he would have been viewed in a much more positive light.

But he didn't just do that. He data dumped a huge amount of operational knowledge that is perfectly legal and normal tradecraft. Then he ran. It should not be surprising (or the work of some propaganda campaign) that he would not be viewed positively in America.

Are you confusing him with manong and wikileak?

He hamded his information to i.ternational reapected news service that is still shifting and release stiff to this day

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Even IF you accept the idea that he had to flee to Russia (he would've had a much better plan were this not the case.), are you so naive as to think he hasn't told Russian intelligence some useful information to remain alive? So he either betrayed the country with the leaks, or betrayed the country afterwards. He's willing to risk his freedom as you say, but won't die rather than give up vital US intelligence, therefore martyring him further?

He didn't flee to Russia. Doing something the state doesn't like shouldn't be considered a bad thing in itself. Also you're acting like it's so strange someone isn't up for dying. Give me a break.

If you want to die for the American state, that's your perogative I guess. I'm not expecting anyone else to or seeing anyone who does as a martyr.

This is ignoring the fact it's not even naive to think they would leave him alive. Similar situations happened a million times in history.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Julian Assange and WikiLeaks was his travel agency. They arranged travel. Even bought a bunch of fake tickets to throw the US off. That alone stinks considering WL is Russian Intelligence. Then the stay at the consulate and other stuff. Hardly farfetched that he was never meant to leave Moscow.

He did the right thing for the wrong reasons is the nicest way I can put it.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty well noticed phenomenon I think. Here's the first example I found.

https://www.marketingweek.com/2016/...m-millennial-is-useless/#.V9kYPw2SASg.twitter

Anyway, let's flip this on its head. Why do you assume they would be better? Blind Whiggishness?
Okay so first off your own source (Which has also been sourced by a Forbes fuckin' contributer lol) lists 2000 UK adult responders... In an article which defines Gen Z as post 2001 and was written in 2016.
A survey of almost 2,000 UK adults finds that on issues such as same-sex marriage, transgender rights and marijuana legalisation, 59% of Gen Z respondents describe their attitudes as being between 'conservative' and 'moderate'. By contrast, 83% of millennials and 85% of Gen X respondents state that they are 'quite' or 'very liberal' on such issues.

And my information comes from stuff like this:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59ea34f7e4b034105edd4e32
Generation Z is more liberal in areas like marijuana legalization, and transgenderissues, according to a study done by The Gild.

56% of 13-to-20-year-olds said that they knew someone who went by gender neutral pronouns such as "they," "them," or "ze," compared to 43% of people aged 28 to 34 years old, according to the results of the Innovation Group's major new study.

Over a third of Gen Z respondents also strongly agreed that gender did not define a person as much as it used to. This figure dropped to 23% among Millennials who were 28 and up.

75% of Gen Z support same sex marriage. They're more likely to have grown up around same sex parents, and therefor don't see this as unusual—or illegal.

76% are concerned about global warming. This makes sense considering the amount of environmental disasters they've witnessed so far, including the 2013 Colorado forest fires (most destructive wildfire in history,) tornado in Joplin, Missouri in 2011 (single deadliest tornado in US history since advent of modern weather forecasting,) the flooding devastating Mississippi river valley (one of largest and most damaging floods recorded in past century,) and much more.

It has been reported that Generation Z are, "the least likely to believe that there is such a thing as the American Dream."

Having grown up bombarded by mass shootings in their own country, and terrorist attacks overseas, this generation more likely supports gun control.
So socially liberal and 'fiscally conservative' which lines up with my anecdotal experience too.

Edit: Heres another source that packages some of the diversity/gender questions into more digestible graphs which was also sourced in the HP article: https://www.jwtintelligence.com/201...gender-binaries-in-new-innovation-group-data/

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yo Cocaloch your source is actually pretty fucking garbage after researching into what 'The Gild' actually is, mate.
http://afterthemillennials.com/why-generation-z-is-not-more-conservative/
If you follow generation Z news closely, you might have noticed a sudden increase in headlines that projects Generation Z as being more "socially conservative" than older generations. The finding, which claims that Generation Z are less open to same-sex marriage, gender fluidity and body adornments such as tattoos go back to a survey (actually a quiz) carried out by a British marketing company called The Gild. As many as 59% of respondents born after 2001 reported to belong to the 'conservative' or the 'moderate' categories against only 15 to 16 percent of Millennials and Generation X.
Having followed generational attitudes for almost a decade and a half myself, the findings fly in the face of most surveys and observations I have seen about Generation Z's open-mindedness. I was curious and decided to find out how they got these results.
As soon as I landed on The Gild's website I was invited to partake in the very same survey. No filter question to make sure I met sampling criteria or any other requirements were needed to participate. The Gild prepped my motivation by telling me: "Big Business and Governments are stereotyping you into one of six generational groups" and, "At The Gild, we think that's wrong and needs to stop, so we've designed this Generation Quiz to prove or disprove our theory, and we need your help." So as the freedom-loving, justice-seeking arm-chair activist I am, I was ready! I'd show those Big Businesses and Governments they can't pigeonhole me or create mind-controlling Newspeak based on my generation or my preferences!
First I was asked to compare statements and pick the one from each category I agreed the most with. Since the statements were double-barreled and categories were overlapping, I had a hard time finding a statement that fit me. None of the 5 answer alternatives managed to capture my preferences and idiosyncrasies. But the biggest puzzle to me was: How do they get teenagers with 8-second attention spans to read through questions with five long winded answer alternatives like: "My main focus is on being fit and healthy, enjoying life and spending quality time with my family."? Having designed a few nation-wide surveys aimed at this age cohort myself, I've learned to keep the butcher knife close, chopping up and eliminating even the tiniest part of bad meat from my sentences to accommodate this easily distracted target group.[\QUOTE]
Spoiler alert: It's a glorified internet quiz by an ad Corp.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
the problem isn't that he's treated as a hero but that he's treated as a villain

he exposed some heinous government crimes and now we're all like "what a loser!"
He should have waited for a Republican President to expose illegal, un-transparent spying systems in the United States.

Like Ellsberg, he exposed how both parties were the creators and proponents of this undemocratic, secret spying apparatus.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Yo Cocaloch your source is actually pretty fucking garbage after researching into what 'The Gild' actually is, mate.
http://afterthemillennials.com/why-generation-z-is-not-more-conservative/

I'm not super interested in looking into this, as I said I used the first source that came up.

Ironically your own source in that first post also cites it.

Edit: This doesn't seem to have a positive claim either. Maybe that source sucks, I haven't looked into the methodology because I'm not really that interested. But do you have any positive sources for your thoughts that Gen Z is more left leaning? As it is, all you've done is torpedo any sort of claim other than it seems to be around the same position, slightly better, as millennials on gendered issues and significantly to their right on fiscal matters.

I'm certainly not seeing anything on gen z being broadly to the left of millennials based on your sources (even though you've discounted one of your own). As far as I can tell that's still just Whiggery from you. It'd be particularly interesting if we corrected for demographic differences, but there seems to be a pretty poor data set at the moment.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

There more media propaganda trains than just American government's. Also Snowden's actions are still what is germane here, it's just the totality of his actions that we need to consider.

A whole bunch of people including some liberals were arguing the same shit at the time. This is pure hindsight.

Hindsight is allowing new information to change your pre-existing stance.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not super interested in looking into this, as I said I used the first source that came up.

Ironically your own source in that first post also cites it.
Right... So still waiting on that that source that Gen Z is more conservative/socially regressive.

And yeah because both are unsourced contributer articles. One key difference would be that there are actually sources in the HP link I referenced, ones that lead to actual surveys or results. For example, click on the gay marriage statistic and you get a PDF of the survey conducted on Generation Z (16 - 19) with a +/- 3.08 margin or error in a sample of 1,015. Their methodology is also included. That one concluded that this generation is "highly progressive" in social issues.
Edit: Should mention 2014 BTW.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Right... So still waiting on that that source that Gen Z is more conservative/socially regressive.

And yeah because both are unsourced contributer articles. One key difference would be that there are actually sources in the HP link I referenced, ones that lead to actual surveys or results. For example, click on the gay marriage statistic and you get a PDF of the survey conducted on Generation Z (16 - 19) with a +/- 3.08 margin or error in a sample of 1,015. Their methodology is also included. That one concluded that this generation is "highly progressive" in social issues.

The HP article also includes at least one source you dislike and one slide room page. Again, I'm not super interested in this topic past having a general interest in challenging whiggery.

Seems that the data is poor. I'm willing to accept they might not be significantly to Millennial's right. Certainly I don't have data off the top of my head to demonstrate that. Are you willing to accept that you don't seem to have much of a source basis for asserting they are to the left? Especially enough to reject things like Nationalism?

That one concluded that this generation is "highly progressive" in social issues.
Edit: Should mention 2014 BTW.

Just read through that one, the methodology was not included so I don't know why you said it was, and it wasn't comparative so that's not super useful. It needs to be comparative to get at the point.

Edit: Gave all this another read
ones that lead to actual surveys or results.

The ones under "are they liberal" don't lead to actual studies. Seems like we're on the same basis here because the data isn't very good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Snowden was a mouthpiece for Russia's disinformation campaign during the 2016 election. He was constantly pushing the "but her emails!" talking point.

The dude's a troll who's hiding behind Putin.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are you responding to in my post? It seems like you are just proving the point I just made that the US propaganda machine has shifted the conversation to one man's 'criminal' actions. Russian connections are just conjecture and irrelevant when discussing the absolutely positive effects of what Snowden revealed and the completely disgusting and illegal actions of the US government.

Again, people are so caught up in his personal opinions that they cannot see any good in what Snowden has done. Why don't we discuss what Snowden did (prove the US' heinous crimes) versus what the US government did (heinous crimes) instead of just attacking Snowden for what he's said or where he happens to be situated (I don't get how being in Russia somehow completely makes him a Russian stooge and makes right the actions of the US govenrment).

Why aren't people mad that he was forced to flee or of the governments crimes? No, just be mad at someone who was trying to protect the liberty and freedoms of US citizens (and allies).

Because the positive effects don't really seem so positive when it's actually being done for nefarious reasons. Stealing the dirty laundry of democratic nation to turn around and help push propaganda and hide with the support of an even worse autocratic, corrupt, and human rights stifling nation isn't winning him many brownie points.