• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should've made the last boss some deranged fan of the original game pissed off because the new one was put together by Americans, starred women, and butchered the all-important canon.

I mean...

That's kind of what the secret last boss is. It's the two actual girlfriends pissed off that they aren't the main characters and its a bunch of "Japanese only girls".

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair(?) to the game, they were probably going to go for a joke ending no matter what given how this game kind of is. Most of the plot is "X might have kidnapped these two! Let's go beat everyone until we find out we're wrong!!" Still probably could have picked a better joke though then this one. Like, the plot could have been anything, these main characters are clearly characterized to be violent girls who are itching for any excuse to beat everyone within a five mile radius, it's not necessary for them to be attracted to Kunio and Riki.
Yup, that last part only makes them look like psychos :/
Should've made the last boss some deranged fan of the original game pissed off because the new one was put together by Americans, starred women, and butchered the all-important canon.
oh shit this is kinda awesome tbh

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I was, ah, considering getting River City Girls to play with my girlfriend actually but yikes at that ending

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I was, ah, considering getting River City Girls to play with my girlfriend actually but yikes at that ending

The game is very much tongue in cheek. The game breaks the fourth wall constantly. Theres more moments and the ending could be seen coming from a mile away while your playing....everyone you fight has no idea what they arr talking about and the bosses either dont know or care about rikki and kunio. Its meant to be more about humour than actual plot.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Technically too, Kyoko and Misako are current gfs in one of the most recent releases, Tokyo Rumble. Shrug? What Joe said nails it tho, this entire game is light-hearted and humorous. Never ever taken seriously. The dialogue is a riot.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Any thoughts about RIver City girls? I've seen the character designs and they look amazing but since i heard about the secret ending i just don't wanna touch this game :/

the story seems to be about two girls rescuing their boyfriends but in reality they are just the boy's ex girlfriends in a dellusional state trying to take them back from the current gfs, and the boys were just chilling at a spa and in no danger at all

For fuck's sake. >_< Of course we can't have women actually saving men in a videogame.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Okay maybe I will then. I just...idk I'd want us to feel triumphant if we beat it together
I mean you're still gals kicking up huge fellas just ignore theplot and hope they make a better sequel, i just think it's a fair warning overall :/
For fuck's sake. >_< Of course we can't have women actually saving men in a videogame.
it could be a licensing issue, now that i've been working with japanese media i've seen that they are pretty protective of specific things when licensing stuff like this(the canon jokes might be a part of that )

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Plot aside, you got a character that can do powerbombs, German suplexes, the stone cold stunner And tiger knee. What's not to love.

Soundtrack is pretty sublime too.

bjI7cku.gif

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The game is very much tongue in cheek. The game breaks the fourth wall constantly. Theres more moments and the ending could be seen coming from a mile away while your playing....everyone you fight has no idea what they arr talking about and the bosses either dont know or care about rikki and kunio. Its meant to be more about humour than actual plot.
"It's just a joke!" is really shitty justification.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean. A grossly misogynistic plot is kind of a hurdle for enjoying a game for me. Moreso than sexualised designs, even.
Yeah I can understand why it is a mark against it. It doesn't help that it's utterly pointless to add it in. Nothing about the game really changes that plot point isn't there. None of these girls need motivation to beat people up. They're already characterized as violent and trigger happy.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah I can understand why it is a mark against it. It doesn't help that it's utterly pointless to add it in. Nothing about the game really changes that plot point isn't there. None of these girls need motivation to beat people up. They're already characterized as violent and trigger happy.
Same could be said about Kunio and Riki? They're delinquents looking for a fight regardless.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, im hoping for a sequel so they can just ditch the boys and be awesomely delinquent D:

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
687cbafa22e079b7ced253288a9f3c2f-800x500.png

tumblr_n89undoq1b1r7sijxo1_500.gif

88_Beyond_GnE_Cover.jpg

Really does feel at times like female characters can only break out of obscurity if they have big tits :/

It's not really a big tit thing. We could put in Elphelt from Guilty Gear in and most people would be confused and upset. The lash-back would be worse than Terry Bogard.

With that in mind -- and slightly changing subjects --

I have no clue who the first one is. The second one...is from a cult classic nintendo DC game. Third one is "Jade," and while I never played her game, it did have some popularity and might be a good pick. But that's kinda the issue; you kind of have to dig deeper to find good female characters to put in. For example, they could put in McGee's Alice, but if I remember correctly that wasn't a particularly influential game. People would just be wondering 'Why?'

The worst thing you can do is just randomly throw in characters off a list of female game characters. Why put in a character no one wants? That's just going to piss people off because you'd be impacting quality and purpose for the sake of a political statement. It's not as though that we can't find any good picks despite the low-hanging fruit being taken.

As I said, Terra would be one. Trixie Kong possibly another. Justice could be another if we're not sick of fighting game characters. (Or perhaps Baiken circa 1998). I also don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of female game characters.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really a big tit thing. We could put in Elphelt from Guilty Gear in and most people would be confused and upset. The lash-back would be worse than Terry Bogard.

With that in mind -- and slightly changing subjects --

I have no clue who the first one is. The second one...is from a cult classic nintendo DC game. Third one is "Jade," and while I never played her game, it did have some popularity and might be a good pick. But that's kinda the issue; you kind of have to dig deeper to find good female characters to put in. For example, they could put in McGee's Alice, but if I remember correctly that wasn't a particularly influential game. People would just be wondering 'Why?'

The worst thing you can do is just randomly throw in characters off a list of female game characters. Why put in a character no one wants? That's just going to piss people off because you'd be impacting quality and purpose for the sake of a political statement. It's not as though that we can't find any good picks despite the low-hanging fruit being taken.

As I said, Terra would be one. Trixie Kong possibly another. Justice could be another if we're not sick of fighting game characters. (Or perhaps Baiken circa 1998). I also don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of female game characters.
Unfortunately i'd say lightning is more likely than terra, i'd rather have celes or Y'shtola though :/

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Unfortunately i'd say lightning is more likely than terra, i'd rather have celes or Y'shtola though :/
Thought:

Curly Brace from Cave Story. Cave Story was like the original mega-popular indie game. It's actually pretty influential in the indie scene and relatively well known. Curly Brace is the most iconic character from that game. And she'd fit in great aesthetically.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, im hoping for a sequel so they can just ditch the boys and be awesomely delinquent D:

River City Girls kind of want to have it's cake and eat it too. There are multiple points where the main characters just talk about how great it is to beat up men and women without being sexualized and then the ending kind of falls into another stereotype instead.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Thought:

Curly Brace from Cave Story. Cave Story was like the original mega-popular indie game. It's actually pretty influential in the indie scene and relatively well known. Curly Brace is the most iconic character from that game. And she'd fit in great aesthetically.
You'd need someone more famous than a free indie game character... currently i think only Shantae and Madeline could scratch that position for non triple A games....2B and Lara are still the safest choices you could make cause they are famous af :/

River City Girls kind of want to have it's cake and eat it too. There are multiple points where the main characters just talk about how great it is to beat up men and women without being sexualized and then the ending kind of falls into another stereotype instead.
we can't have nice things can we?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another entry in "How not to write women"

Now, I'm not that familiar with the anatomy of women, but I'm still like 99% sure you all don't put purses up your privates.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
You'd need someone more famous than a free indie game character... currently i think only Shantae and Madeline could scratch that position for non triple A games....2B and Lara are still the safest choices you could make cause they are famous af :/
"Free Indie game" is underselling. For starters, it's been ported, remade, and sold all to heck. But it's one of the indie game's that started the main stream indie phenomenon. It's characters have cameo'd in several other games. Quite frankly, it was a much more influential game than Shantae which was mostly a GBC curiosity until "Pirate's Curse" came out. Shantae also isn't really an indie game.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
"Free Indie game" is underselling. For starters, it's been ported, remade, and sold all to heck. But it's one of the indie game's that started the main stream indie phenomenon. It's characters have cameo'd in several other games. Quite frankly, it was a much more influential game than Shantae which was mostly a GBC curiosity until "Pirate's Curse" came out. Shantae also isn't really an indie game.
Might be, but i'd never know this game if i didnt have this one indie developer friend that happened to be japanese that showed me an obscure copy of it and told me to play it, one person amongst 50 or so people i know play games regularly knew it, and i velieve this is the second time i've ever seen it being mentioned in era, i never knew it had a female lead untl today

granted, it could be me not looking but at least in my country this game is really obscure D:

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Might be, but i'd never know this game if i didnt have this one indie developer friend that happened to be japanese that showed me an obscure copy of it and told me to play it, one person amongst 50 or so people i know play games regularly knew it, and i velieve this is the second time i've ever seen it being mentioned in era, i never knew it had a female lead untl today

granted, it could be me not looking but at least in my country this game is really obscure D:
It also came out years ago, and most games, even if influential, are not discussed ad nausem; only a special few games are like that if they're not part of a franchise. So it could also be a timing thing on the most part.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I think you're downplaying Lara: she's pretty much the figurehead of 90s video games. She's the sort of character people who don't even play video games will recognise.

Now, I'm not that familiar with the anatomy of women, but I'm still like 99% sure you all don't put purses up your privates.

I'm guessing the (male) logic is "well, if a baby can come out of there..."

It's surprising how many people don't realise how...bloody childbirth can be...

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
crazy ex-girlfriend is a bad BAD trope :/ they could have done it without the twist xD

Few people actually twist that formula in games with swapped genders iirc

A bad BAD trope, but such a good GOOD TV show as well! :D

I'm sorry I laughed so badly at this one. I don't know about y'all, but I for one can use my vagina in order to store all sorts of daily objects like my wallet, keys and makeup, thus rendering bags totally obsolete. Checkmate, capitalist patriarchy!

How does one write this, and not realize how absolutely bonkers it sounds like, baffles me.

Last edited:

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017

I just can't stop laughing at the idea of pulling out that tiny little purse to pay for a latte at starbucks.... the writer really didn't think any of it through now, did he?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I mean people can already get annoyed and irritated by tampons inhabiting their vaginas because they can be very uncomfortable for some, imagine a mini-purse holding something as solid, wide and sharp-edged as a credit card and a driver's license. This woman wouldn't be able to walk/move without very possibly hurting herself and painfully bleed as a result. This is hilarious.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
It also came out years ago, and most games, even if influential, are not discussed ad nausem; only a special few games are like that if they're not part of a franchise. So it could also be a timing thing on the most part.
Yup, probably, you wtill need the buzz to be relevant though :/ i wished the game had more of it for how much it did for indies :/
I think you're downplaying Lara: she's pretty much the figurehead of 90s video games. She's the sort of character people who don't even play video games will recognise.
by comparing her to 2B? Not at all, these two are a matter of "when" and not "if" to me lol

Oct 27, 2017
What is that ridiculous book even about? Why would she stick things up her thing instead of just buying a bag or wearing a pants with pockets?

Those texts are really ridiculous.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
or wearing a pants with pockets?

Ok, I can answer that one: our pants often don't have pockets. I joke you not, I have some that don't, and it's the biggest annoyance ever, I have to rely on my SO to carry on my phone sometimes (and when they do exist, their size are a fourth of a man's pocket).

And you guessed it: it's rooted in sexism (OF COURSE IT IS!):

www.vox.com

The Sexist, Political History of Pockets

Why men were given pockets while women bought bags to carry

So hey, at least on that part, the writer was (unintentionally) believable.

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I can attest that trying to find a pair of dress pants with functional pockets is a gigantic pain in the ass and I fucking hate that it is.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I can answer that one: our pants often don't have pockets. I joke you not, I have some that don't, and it's the biggest annoyance ever, I have to rely on my SO to carry on my phone sometimes (and when they do, their size are a fourth of a man's pants pocket).

www.vox.com

I hate this
SO much.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is that ridiculous book even about? Why would she stick things up her thing instead of just buying a bag or wearing a pants with pockets?

Those texts are really ridiculous.

Apparently it's a thing with him. Note, I have not confirmed this myself as that would require me to actually give the author money for his..."work".

Edit: WAIT, THIS IS STUART WOODS!?!

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
As for female SNK fighters who should be in Smash, I will die on the King hill as my pick...so long as they don't do the dumb "hit her hard enough she loses her shirt" thing they keep doing.

Much respect, but I gotta keep it with Nakoruru myself. I mean if anything SNK actually has a youth activity program called the Terry (sports) and Nakoruru (nature) Club. She's still one of the best choices in regards to Smash's criteria. As said in this thread and shown in the other Smash thread, it's unfortunate but, a lot of the options out there really aren't great.

??????

???

I need to see the previous excerpt about her breasts being disappointing even in gravity.

Yeah, I'm really confused by the lack of context. If she's disappointed with her breasts even in zero-g, what's her hangup normally? Is it some anime-like A-cup angst?

Ok, I can answer that one: our pants often don't have pockets. I joke you not, I have some that don't, and it's the biggest annoyance ever, I have to rely on my SO to carry on my phone sometimes (and when they do exist, their size are a fourth of a man's pocket).

www.vox.com

This reminds me of a lot of the stuff brought up in The Kids Are Alright (RIP)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

www.vox.com

Thanks for the link. I gotta read through it later as what I read is really interesting.

Not having pockets sounds like a nightmare. It really does make wonder why this issue isn't brought up as much as it should be. I was surprised when I learned about this a few months ago and I forgot about it until you explained it to me.

Apparently it's a thing with him. Note, I have not confirmed this myself as that would require me to actually give the author money for his..."work".

Edit: WAIT, THIS IS STUART WOODS!?!

This sounds crazy. Like I can think of countless solutions to this issue instead of sticking it there. Like why not make a makeshift small bag if there is absolutely no where to put your wallet in?

I am sure he wrote it this way because of sexism instead of thinking logically.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I was really curious about River City Girls, and some of my trans friends were pushing me to get it at launch. A shame. :/

Also, can we ban sci-fi writers from talking about zero-g genitals forever? Or at least make every professional writer take an anatomy class?

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I mean. A grossly misogynistic plot is kind of a hurdle for enjoying a game for me. Moreso than sexualised designs, even.

Gotta agree with that. Been strugglying to play through Tales of Berseria due to the misogynistic and stupid sexist remarks from the male companions all the time. Like women are manipulative and deceptive.

I would rather have neither but it is painful to be reminded all the time.

Definitely will wait with River City Girls.

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta agree with that. Been strugglying to play through Tales of Berseria due to the misogynistic and stupid sexist remarks from the male companions all the time. Like women are manipulative and deceptive.
Not just the male companions. The women all agree, too. Of course, they aren't themselves one of those manipulative women, it's all the rest of them. So they say.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Not just the male companions. The women all agree, too. Of course, they aren't themselves one of those manipulative women, it's all the rest of them. So they say.

Yeah you are right. The female cast are just trying to distance themselves from other women as if being a woman is a bad thing. The skits always go back to the same thing. It will probably be my last Tales game. I must have tolerated this more before than I remember.

Everyone also comments Velvets excuse for "clothes", and others have to remind everyone that she is just animalistic and cannot feel the cold. I like how the menu even describe her default clothes as crafted for easy movement! They really couldn't objectify the lead female character any less. She has a temper, not like other manipulative "women", and does not care about her half naked appearance. They are trying hard to "justify" with anime logic for why Velvet is portrayed the way she is.

Sorry I went a bit on a rant but I just have been annoyed with how bad this so called recent good "Tales" game has one of the worst depiction of a woman, not just titillating but outright sexist and rampant misogyni. It has a been a while since I have played something this bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.