• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I won't derail the thread but I'd love to be told how P3 was fanservice-y and stuff. Maybe in PM?

Things like the hatred from Yukari for Mitsuru, Mitsuru's relationship with her company, Fuuka's primary relationship being about a friend who used to bully her, etc all came off as good plot points to me but I understand if I missed something. I thought the "cooking" jokes in P4 and the clear waifu bait in 5 were far worse, personally.

There's also just a lot of generic "benevolent" sexism. https://www.bustle.com/articles/131...sm-that-are-just-as-harmful-as-hostile-sexism

I'm not saying it's as bad as P4 or P5, it's worse there, but even in P3 it's smattered throughout.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

There's also just a lot of generic "benevolent" sexism. https://www.bustle.com/articles/131...sm-that-are-just-as-harmful-as-hostile-sexism

I'm not saying it's as bad as P4 or P5, it's worse there, but even in P3 it's smattered throughout.

AH right forgot. The beach scenes always get ya.

I still think you can show boys being idiots about girls without it being sexist, but the beach scene is definitely bad all around.

I'd love for a game to handle things like what my gf and her friends say for once. If half the things my gf says about Ryan Reynolds made it into a game script it'd get interesting really quick

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mandatory romance for the female S.Links when playing as a boy is atrocious, made worse by the reasoning behind it ("we couldn't imagine friendship between a boy and a girl"). They didn't even bother to change that in P3P, so MasC is still terrible! I wouldn't be able to play P3 without FeMC.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Which stinks because as a fan of dating mechanics in games like Mass Effect and P3 it seems like games are going "You either all are after one thing, or completely asexual" and I don't know how to feel about that.

I liked forming relationships in Fire Emblem Awakening, but then hated them in Fates. It's weird that we had like a brief time where dating and character relationships were popular and now everyone is just not doing it, or doing it completely terrible.
The dating / relationships in these games are couched in parochial, backwards nonsense for the majority of their discourse. They are caricatures of human relationships.

At least a fair amount of that comes from gamifying the relationship, which is why it so often comes off as pick-up artist garbage.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Of P3-P5, my favorite female cast is no question P5 but god damn the whole way the narrative treats Ann's body is so obnoxious. I'm already dreading Kasumi's portrayal and her outfit.

I know this would never happen but if you're going to have horny characters make them at least college students. So sick of schoolgirl sexualization bullshit.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mandatory romance for the female S.Links when playing as a boy is atrocious, made worse by the reasoning behind it ("we couldn't imagine friendship between a boy and a girl"). They didn't even bother to change that in P3P, so MasC is still terrible! I wouldn't be able to play P3 without FeMC.

And even worse, they refuse to acknowledge the FeMC to the point where they refused to put her in the dancing games because "canon" but was fine with going back in time to resurrect dead people for other cameos. Basically we got Q2 and that has been it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The dating / relationships in these games are couched in parochial, backwards nonsense for the majority of their discourse. They are caricatures of human relationships.
I understand a certain level of caricature is needed for game scripts to work. As much as I'd aspire for "realism" in relationships with characters most characters with basic motivations can't even get 100% well written, let alone an intimate relationship being written typically by people who aren't used to them or in them for the most part.

But I still enjoy finding fictional characters I like and attaching my character to them in whatever form that takes if they're a personality I find endearing or likeable. Maybe I've got a bad perception of it because I'm in a relationship and we both enjoy dating mechanics (she loves Chrom/P3P/etc) but I see "characters" usually as just a set of personality traits attached to an either attractive or unattractive design. So maybe my perception is different than others.

I'm just saying we could build on it and have more/better versions in the future. For all parties involved.

May 13, 2019
And even worse, they refuse to acknowledge the FeMC to the point where they refused to put her in the dancing games because "canon" but was fine with going back in time to resurrect dead people for other cameos. Basically we got Q2 and that has been it.
I honestly blame Hashino for that. As soon he's out of the picture, FeMC makes a triumphant return.

I seriously think he had a hand - or rather, a whole arm - in keeping FeMC out of the series.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of P3-P5, my favorite female cast is no question P5 but god damn the whole way the narrative treats Ann's body is so obnoxious. I'm already dreading Kasumi's portrayal and her outfit.

I know this would never happen but if you're going to have horny characters make them at least college students. So sick of schoolgirl sexualization bullshit.
They're already fetishizing Kasumi's legs and flexibility, so we're in for a trip. I'm fearing she has a creepy devotion to the protagonist.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dating in Persona games isn't even fun. You say "I love you," spend time in your room and that's it. It doesn't exist outside of the S. Link. Even some stuff like Mementos dialogue that pops up when you've romanced someone would make it more worthwhile.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Dating in Persona games isn't even fun. You say "I love you," spend time in your room and that's it. It doesn't exist outside of the S. Link. Even some stuff like Mementos dialogue that pops up when you've romanced someone would make it more worthwhile.
Maybe I've misremembered then. I could have sworn it was each jump in SLink rank attached to dialogue/going out someplace with dialogue options and the like but maybe I'm forgetting. Apologies!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If FemC was canon I'd probably like P3 more. The fanservice-y bullshit (and blatant sexism and objectification) brings P3-P5 way down though.
In my heart, she will always be canon and the true leader of SEES.

I really hate how Atlus has treated her all these years. At least they seem to be correcting themselves with PQ2. Time will tell if she will continue appearing).

Besides the other issues people have mentioned, I also want to mention how Atlus is allergic to Female Protagonists. It reeks of sexism. Not surprising considering how they view LGBTQ+ people.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
That break did me a lot of good.

OZdp.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
In my heart, she will always be canon and the true leader of SEES.

I really hate how Atlus has treated her all these years. At least they seem to be correcting themselves with PQ2. Time will tell if she will continue appearing).

Besides the other issues people have mentioned, I also want to mention how Atlus is allergic to Female Protagonists. It reeks of sexism. Not surprising considering how they view LGBTQ+ people.

It's a definite problem though certainly not the only JRPG series where this happens. Dragon Quest hasn't had a female protagonist since DQ4, Final Fantasy has only done it twice across 30 years of mainline titles, it took Tales 20 years, etc.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's a definite problem though certainly not the only JRPG series where this happens. Dragon Quest hasn't had a female protagonist since DQ4, Final Fantasy has only done it twice across 30 years of mainline titles, it took Tales 20 years, etc.
DQ 9 and 10 had customizable protagonists who could be female. Although it's true they've dropped gender choices outside of those two cases that had full character creation systems.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Agree about this. And if there is the option of selecting a male and female protagonist, if they adapt the game into other media like Fate/Extra and Fate/Grand Order for example, they go with the male protagonist and ignore the female protagonist.

May 13, 2019
To think that Phantasy Star series had a female protagonist in the very first game back in 1987.

One of the many ways the game was ahead of its time.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's all remember this gem:
There aren't too many female characters in Shin Megami Tensei IV compared to Atlus games like, say, Persona. I mean, there's Isabeau and I guess Burroughs counts as a female lead, but why are there so many guys in this game?

This isn't specific to Shin Megami Tensei IV, but to the core Shin Megami Tensei in general. Because the game is more about survival, on average male figures have a better chance to survive than females that's why the games lean towards more male characters. Of course, there are very strong females, strong willed and females with strong physique, that survive, so we hand pick a few of those strong female archetypes to represent the female side.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I understand a certain level of caricature is needed for game scripts to work. As much as I'd aspire for "realism" in relationships with characters most characters with basic motivations can't even get 100% well written, let alone an intimate relationship being written typically by people who aren't used to them or in them for the most part.

But I still enjoy finding fictional characters I like and attaching my character to them in whatever form that takes if they're a personality I find endearing or likeable. Maybe I've got a bad perception of it because I'm in a relationship and we both enjoy dating mechanics (she loves Chrom/P3P/etc) but I see "characters" usually as just a set of personality traits attached to an either attractive or unattractive design. So maybe my perception is different than others.

I'm just saying we could build on it and have more/better versions in the future. For all parties involved.
I like when characters seems to have thoughts and feelings outside of the player character and dating mechanics tend to destroy that notion.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I'm conflicted since I like DL's story (except the fact that you can't choose MC gender) but their female designs are all over the place. Like I get it but sometimes I want believable armors/clothes for everyone.

600px-110256_01_r05_portrait.png

110023_01_r03_portrait.png

110047_01_r03_portrait.png

The only positive aspect I can think of is that some of them are wearing pants.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the usual crowd think people mean when they say Tifa should have more muscle mass:
tenor.gif

What people actually mean at most:
morry-_-0619.jpg

I want Square to announce that they've added extra muscle tone to Tifa's limbs, but the amount is so minimal that you would have to zoom in with a browser extension just to spot the difference.

Even that extremely tiny amount will have people screaming "What have they done you buffed her up like a fucking gorilla!!!"

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That post wow. Tells women they have a victimhood complex, proceed to paint himself and some "men" as the most oppressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.