• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
God damn it. Man, so many of these are super, super awful..... I really wanted to play this game, but ugh. There are at least two very cute boyos but... ugh. :(
What do you mean? Doesn't this outfit just SCREAM hunter?:
EeGiivoU0AA5QGZ

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Minoria: It's a bit odd when you have a game with predominantly female characters, so yay representation but with almost catholic/religious fetish designs for them? From the makers of Momodora, were previous Bombservice games like this? There is even breast jiggle physics. Majority of the artists are men except for one woman, DAKU (fiopico).
Overall I like the game in spite of itself. It has such a queer coded narrative, by default anything involving "witches" tends to be, that it appeals to me. The sex appeal shit is less of a problem to me compared to the bullshit ending.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't seem to stop you from playing the other Nier games.
You can't seriously think the outfits in Automata are anywhere near as sexualized as some of the ones in this new gacha game???
Also, y'know being a gal who likes Jrpgs, I kinda have to be willing to put up with a certain amount of stupid sexualization or I'd never get to enjoy anything. I do, however, have a limit for how much of it I can stand looking at before it starts to overshadow whatever enjoyment I am getting.

What do you mean? Doesn't this outfit just SCREAM hunter?:
EeGiivoU0AA5QGZ
God case in point, what even is that boob piece lmao. Or the one with the bottom part of her tits hanging out, or the shaved head girl who I'm pretty sure has her entire ass out on one of her outfits -- although I do like her other outfits and overall designs at least.
The 2B one really is the worst tho, it makes me so angry cuz she's a great character and she already gets reduced down to her ass everywhere as it is already without alt designs like this needing to feed into it. SIGH

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I think I slowly grew out of them, that and the end portion of P5 drained the life out of me. I just stopped giving a shit and wanted it to end already and it just wouldn't end.
Yeah, as much as I've talked about P5 breaking me from the series, and I do think it's problems are worse than the last two, a big part of it is probably just that I'm a different, more socially aware person than I was when I played 3 and 4. It's why I really don't want to go back to 4 at this point lol.

Also, that thread is a lot chiller than I expected it to be. I didn't realize disappointment at P5 was this common of a sentiment.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as much as I've talked about P5 breaking me from the series, and I do think it's problems are worse than the last two, a big part of it is probably just that I'm a different, more socially aware person than I was when I played 3 and 4. It's why I really don't want to go back to 4 at this point lol.

Also, that thread is a lot chiller than I expected it to be. I didn't realize disappointment at P5 was this common of a sentiment.
Yosuke is trash.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same lol. I thought people would be angrier tbh but nope a lot of people agree.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I am much more openly queer now than I was in 2012 and I cannot imagine how much the portrayals of Yosuke, Kanji, and Naoto would piss me off nowadays.

Yosuke as he was in 2008 makes sense. A teenage boy who is queerphobic and shitty and spiteful about his lot in life? That's all pretty damn realistic. The problem is 1. he never really gets his comeuppance nor apologizes to Kanji, and 2. P5 comes around and the only gay characters are predators who hit on an underage boy, which makes Yosuke in retrospect not seem like an intentional characterization and more like the creator's mouthpiece.

Oct 25, 2017
I am much more openly queer now than I was in 2012 and I cannot imagine how much the portrayals of Yosuke, Kanji, and Naoto would piss me off nowadays.
I like Naoto and Kanji, but at the same time I know what you mean. The narrative seemed like it was demeaning who they wanted to be...also its takes on gender norms is pretty fucking insulting.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yosuke as he was in 2008 makes sense. A teenage boy who is queerphobic and shitty and spiteful about his lot in life? That's all pretty damn realistic. The problem is 1. he never really gets his comeuppance nor apologizes to Kanji, and 2. P5 comes around and the only gay characters are predators who hit on an underage boy, which makes Yosuke in retrospect not seem like an intentional characterization and more like the creator's mouthpiece.
Yeah, totally. P5 made me a lot less willing to forgive this stuff because it turned it from "oh they kinda bungled in a way that's pretty unfortunate" to it being a consistent pattern.

It puts into question of what the future of Atlus games going forward with the change up teams will be like. There a chance that the new blood will do better but as we seen with Ubisoft and CD project red if the influence of problematic views are wide spread in the company, they won't change.
I been a Atlus fan for many years and would like them to do well cause their games are interested but those problems they have with women, queerness, and commentary that just barely talks about social problem need to change.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You can't seriously think the outfits in Automata are anywhere near as sexualized as some of the ones in this new gacha game???
Also, y'know being a gal who likes Jrpgs, I kinda have to be willing to put up with a certain amount of stupid sexualization or I'd never get to enjoy anything. I do, however, have a limit for how much of it I can stand looking at before it starts to overshadow whatever enjoyment I am getting.
012132aafb535a9ee28f506a3ccafd35.png

fe164119da2c81eff0ef06bccd5663a9.png

4a4ca7a2a8920d5457d176d1e957a8d8.png

So you're whining about a mobile game's optional skins of characters you're not even forced to use...

But this was OKAY apparently ?

Alright then.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Wow, I thought Shadow Hearts' depiction of gay characters was questionable.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"Whining"? What thread do you think this is? Don't be like this.

I never said complaining about those designs is whining.

I said this poster is whining about them while having accepted similar designs in the other games to the point of making a character from those games their profile picture.

This is very hypocritical. I have the right to call it out.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I never said complaining about those designs is whining.

I said this poster is whining
First of all: hahahahaha!

Second of all, she explained her perspective. How as a woman she has to put up with sexualization of women in countless game properties. Enjoying things despite problematic aspects does not take away anyone's right to critique similar things. You are ignoring her explanation, and seemingly doing it in defence of this mobile game. "Optional skins you aren't even forced to use."

Again, what do you think this thread is for? I assure you it isn't for you to shout down the opinion of women without even engaging their points.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
First of all: hahahahaha!

Second of all, she explained her perspective. How as a woman she has to put up with sexualization of women in countless game properties. Enjoying things despite problematic aspects does not take away anyone's right to critique similar things. You are ignoring her explanation, and seemingly doing it in defence of this mobile game. "Optional skins you aren't even forced to use."

Again, what do you think this thread is for? I assure you it isn't for you to shout down the opinion of women without even engaging their points.

You would have a point if her reply didn't start with "are you telling me the automata designs are as bad ??" (yes they are).

This is from the same creators. The same artists. With similar designs. Except this time there's also good designs mixed in and not just distateful ones.

I'm not defending the mobile game, I just found it extremely hypocritical to have someone with a Nier Automata avatar somehow declare the mobile game of that franchise is going *too far* with similar looking costumes on a couple of optional skins for optional characters...
Her explanation did nothing to explain why she put him with looking at 2B's ass for 80% of the game but apparently this mobile game having some optional stuff she doesn't like crosses the bar.

"what is this thread for" I never implied there was anything wrong with complaining about the designs. On the contrary. I just thought that was very inconsistent.

People are fully allowed to hate the game even for optional content.I never said the opposite.

But it's hypocritical coming from automata stans pretending like this is any better

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Slaythe You're coming awfully close to antagonizing someone over an avatar here. She also never said that particular pic you keep posting is anything she condones. You're out of line, stop it.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club

this is also part of it for me too

I replayed p4 like four or five years ago and boy some parts of it sure landed differently then compared to when I first played it
Yosuke was always bad though lol, Yuri Lowenthal's voice is his only redeeming quality

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Abby is obviously purely badass, but Ellie late game here has one of the most badass shots of the gen.
Full on Sarah Connor
20200729-201553.png

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seriously surprised that this game wants to be taken seriously. Any game that goes deadpan serious with sexualized designs just trips itself to death.
...unless they're going the tongue-in-cheek edgy camp comedy.

min my dream rpg, the lead villain would so be an evil fashion designer who spearheaded a world wide plot to put attractive people in overly sexy outfits and leave their brutal mark on history via setting global fashion trends.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
That Nier mobile game has given some of the older Nier cast some new outfits. 2B's seems be a in between full and exploded dress outfit.

The rest: https://vk.com/album-187177098_273709398

Yeah I saw the designs and I'm feeling iffy but I can still enjoy the music? Also, the curse of the gacha for every mobage is making me have 2nd thoughts on it despite liking N:A.

It's the usual " I like girls" excuse ppl keep posting for every character design problem w/nier.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You would have a point if her reply didn't start with "are you telling me the automata designs are as bad ??" (yes they are).

This is from the same creators. The same artists. With similar designs. Except this time there's also good designs mixed in and not just distateful ones.

I'm not defending the mobile game, I just found it extremely hypocritical to have someone with a Nier Automata avatar somehow declare the mobile game of that franchise is going *too far* with similar looking costumes on a couple of optional skins for optional characters...
Her explanation did nothing to explain why she put him with looking at 2B's ass for 80% of the game but apparently this mobile game having some optional stuff she doesn't like crosses the bar.

"what is this thread for" I never implied there was anything wrong with complaining about the designs. On the contrary. I just thought that was very inconsistent.

People are fully allowed to hate the game even for optional content.I never said the opposite.

But it's hypocritical coming from automata stans pretending like this is any better
Yes, it does fucking cross a line with me and for the record 2B's naked thong ass bothered tf out of me too and is something I have criticized here multiple times before -- but I also literally never had to look at it once the entirety of playing the game, and its existence didn't overshadow the rest of what I loved about the game. How dare you try to tell a woman what she is and isn't allowed to feel uncomfortable about, and where her personal line with sexualization should lie. I'm sorry you don't have to fucking live it every god damn day of your life, but I do, and where it finally becomes too much is going to be extremely subjective and personal to each individual woman.

I don't know why you're attacking me like I have some bone specific to pick with this mobile game -- when in reality I don't and probably WILL end up playing it just because I enjoy Yoko Taro's works. But I'm allowed to be upset by the outfits and I'm allowed to complain about them and debate if they cross my personal line in regards to sexualization and if I do want to play it or not because of that.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I made an edit adding the 2nd page, but yeah the whole explanation is just Quiet levels of nonsense.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Just to be fair, I like boys so they should all wear super revealing outfits for this very reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this when I first played the game after release, can't imagine how much cringe I'll ensure on a replay.
I first played it years ago and I don't think I minded him too much, but saw his BS on a stream last year and fucking hated him. Him, Junpei and Ryuji are three characters I don't like that much, I throw Ryuji in that trash pile because he's honestly just all kinds of immature. His VA performance is great, but whatever trope that set of characters belongs to I don't like too much.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's already bad enough that the outfits are awful, but the same body type and face makes almost all the female characters look like the same characters but in different outfits. The fact that most of them don't have noses at certain angles makes it worse. Like is there really much of a difference between A2 and that new hunter with the long hair? It's just so boring.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well. great news. In that other mobile game they gave an excuse as to why the female units dress like that:

I've already seen people defending the new designs with this excuse. haha
edit:forgot the second page.
This should be its own thread so that people know Nier is now MGS V levels of sexist nonsense lmao

So 9S gonna have stripped off modes or just the girl? Wait I don't see any "heat sink" version fo male characters...

VK.com | VK

The funny thing is people would praise Yoko Taro for being unapologetic about wanting sexualised characters. "But the biggest reason is I just really like girls" - Yoko Taro

It'd be hilarious if he wrote that heat sink lore explanation for sexist nonsense.

Reading up on him, he wanted a female protagonist to be a former prostitute in Drakengard 3 because that is a rare thing in games. Ok???

He has stated his dislike for the "plain and forgettable" type of female video game character: he demonstrated his dislike for this and the stereotypical role-playing video game romance in Furiae, an important character in Drakengard.[8] Another character he has been greatly involved in creating is Zero, Drakengard 3's protagonist: while creating her, he felt it would be interesting to create a character who was formerly a prostitute as it was a character type that was fairly rare in video games.[26]​
Doesn't like "plain and forgettable" female characters but still uses plain and forgettable tropes for female character designs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how these guys write characters like 2B but then immediately degrade them. Couldn't be me.
You have Velvet Crowe in Tales of Bersaria. A character I actually like the writing and story of, but they dress her like absolute shit in the game. I have her wearing her prologue outfit because the two other costumes are just trashy revealing rags.

Status
Not open for further replies.