• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought "well... at least you can ignore the shitty swimsuit dlc", but that is just the base game isn't it? You are stuck in swimsuits. ugh.

edit: Oh wait, this is some mobile gacha game shit? I'm not exactly sure what this game is.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Tales designs always seem to teeter on the brink between fashion statement barbie dolls (high contrast, primary colors, dresses everywhere) and odd what the fuck designs (whatever the hell Velvet Crowe is supposed to be wearing).

2B is particularly weird given the backstory that game has... though the entire Nier series is one of the weirdest things ever, to be honest. It's a very modern anime aesthetic which is... I dunno. Awkward at best? The game's aesthetic in particular is between grunge and gothic but with titwindows.
I like it personally (EDIT: Not to say I'm defending tit-windows, just that I like the anime art style), but I get why some don't. I think the aesthetic clashes hard with the themes, but I find that enjoyable rather than frustrating. It gives everything this aburdist ridiculous feel, like why am I watching this pretty anime boy cry right now. I also really like the Kaine character stuff, as silly as it can all be. And that's matched my impression of the creator. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it comes down to trying to market the themes to a global audience. I think that anime aesthetic is pretty well-recognized by now, and in Japan it practically feels required to at least allude to. At the end of the day, a developer has to go and convince an old man in a suit that this game will be profitable. Someone Japanese may be able to speak more at length about it.

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
When you think of Mega Man, what's the first thing you think of? That's right. Swimsuits.

Well it's not the first time they've gotten Swimsuits actually. If you cleared the new X Challenges in the X Collection you'd get this:
de323a37f19fc010e24b161e0ee92b19.jpg
The new problem though is they've gone an extra step with Layer's swimsuit this go around. Whats worse, according to Rockman enthusiast Protodude, there's something a lot worse coming.

Although fun historical fact too, Roll's is a throwback to this Rockman 8 summer artwork (Where you get you get to see Rock and Blues in skin!):

Can I get X and Zero in swimsuits too? kthx

For what its' worth they had Zero in a white lab coat for White Day. A one off though, current data mining shows no sign of the males getting any summer action. That said Capcom Taiwan did a stream recently and it showed the playerbase was 95% male and 5% female unfortunately. On a different note though, they do release some really badass characters like Ultimate Armor X from CM, Sigma, or Awakened Zero (That said there's like a million Zeros) and the animations for all of the characters are full of great Rockman fanservice.

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I was wondering how they'd make the giant X-era legs and feet work in their trashy swimsuit dlc, but of course they didn't bother, and just gave them tiny human feet. I always assumed their usual outfits were part of their bodies too. This just implies these robots either wore metal clothes, or they screwed their heads on swimsuit bodies for... reasons. The whole thing's as lame as it is contrived.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well it's not the first time they've gotten Swimsuits actually. If you cleared the new X Challenges in the X Collection you'd get this:

The new problem though is they've gone an extra step with Layer's swimsuit this go around. Whats worse, according to Rockman enthusiast Protodude, there's something a lot worse coming.

Although fun historical fact too, Roll's is a throwback to this Rockman 8 summer artwork (Where you get you get to see Rock and Blues in skin!):

For what its' worth they had Zero in a white lab coat for White Day. A one off though, current data mining shows no sign of the males getting any summer action. That said Capcom Taiwan did a stream recently and it showed the playerbase was 95% male and 5% female unfortunately. On a different note though, they do release some really badass characters like Ultimate Armor X from CM, Sigma, or Awakened Zero (That said there's like a million Zeros) and the animations for all of the characters are full of great Rockman fanservice.
Oh god. There's nothing about this Mega Man franchise that screams sexualised outfits for its female characters other than cater to horny straight males. No wonder they only have 5% female audience if they keep doing this sexism.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the Disgaea 6 character designs and I'm not really impressed. NIS also has a record of sexualizing its younger characters. A shame because I do like Disgaea. There's nothing like grinding and building the ultimate character to stomp but NIS makes the enjoying the franchise hard.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the Disgaea 6 character designs and I'm not really impressed. NIS also has a record of sexualizing its younger characters. A shame because I do like Disgaea. There's nothing like grinding and building the ultimate character to stomp but NIS makes the enjoying the franchise hard.
Wait Disgaea 6 was announced :O

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought "well... at least you can ignore the shitty swimsuit dlc", but that is just the base game isn't it? You are stuck in swimsuits. ugh.

edit: Oh wait, this is some mobile gacha game shit? I'm not exactly sure what this game is.

Yeah. It's called Rockman X Dive. I think it came out this year. It's a platformer but you can get playable characters through its gotcha system. The swimsuits are for their summer event.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Not yet, but they teased this image and it might be Disgaea 6.

Look at the backwards tree branch "6" to the right

Thanks for the link, I'll wait for an official announcement before I start to examine the designs... although you are right they don't often have the best track record (even if it's done for parody a lot)

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the link, I'll wait for an official announcement before I start to examine the designs... although you are right they don't often have the best track record (even if it's done for parody a lot)
Yeah, because like I said, there's pretty much nothing else like Disgaea. Building the ultimate character is so addicting in these games. The fanservice bits drags it down a lot though it makes it hard to recommend it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Akira Kazama is getting announced for Street Fighter V!!

I've always looooved her design. It's 110% tough (and Capcom art is fun when they "go all in" on a concept), a fierce helmet and biker suit with a rather adorable tomboy underneath (she's pretty short to boot). I love the contrast.

vETgy5W.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I've always looooved her design. It's 110% tough (and Capcom art is fun when they "go all in" on a concept), a fierce helmet and biker suit with a rather adorable tomboy underneath (she's pretty short to boot). I love the contrast.

vETgy5W.png
I wonder how she will look.
Most of the returning characters got a redesign. Some better than others.

I love that they are finally doing something with her (and that they connected RS to SF finally).

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Pretty much the story for any niche genre that comes out of Japan these days. Indie devs have made advances in some areas, for sure, but for every step forward they tale in regards to narrative and character diversity, there's a dogged adherence to gameplay norms (ah, those dreaded "roguelike elements"!) :S

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Layer has the darkest skin, so of course she gets sexualized the most. 🙄 Though it's slightly better than the baffling design she has in X8.
It's a shame too, Keisuke Mizuno is the current lead character designer on the X series (Including Rockman X Dive) and it's the best the X series has looked. He was responsible for the awesome X Legacy collection covers as well as the ver Ke. (Keisuke get it?) X model.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Let that Cammy thread and the thread about accessibility in controllers illustrate just how progressive certain members of this site really are.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017

vETgy5W.png
Awesome looking design. Wonder how it will translate to SFV.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I lurk this thread and just wanted to pop in and say the Cammy thread really creeped me out.
Same, I've noticed the forum is not always as liberal as it seems, at least not in ways that matter.

Kind of a separate matter, but it makes me also wish the forum facilitated more impactful discussion than hot takes, daily news, LTTP, "convince me to play X", etc.

This thread is a light in the darkness. I don't contribute much because I'm a cis white male and would rather have others besides me provide their input, but I wanted to say this thread has been incredible since OT1, and has helped me to gain perspective, understanding, and help to articulate the matters at hand.

Thank you to everyone that regularly contributes here.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same, I've noticed the forum is not always as liberal as it seems, at least not in ways that matter.

Kind of a separate matter, but it makes me also wish the forum facilitated more impactful discussion than hot takes, daily news, LTTP, "convince me to play X", etc.

This thread is a light in the darkness. I don't contribute much because I'm a cis white male and would rather have others besides me provide their input, but I wanted to say this thread has been incredible since OT1, and has helped me to gain perspective, understanding, and help to articulate the matters at hand.

We do have threads talking about diversity, trans, and racial issues in gaming but they seem to fizzle out after a while. The hot takes and etc generates more discussion I guess

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Dat poll in the Cammy thread. This outfit looks so much better as a default look honestly.

h7cp99zp63fz.jpg

Hell, she looks great with the STARS outfit.

Oct 27, 2017
I lurk this thread and just wanted to pop in and say the Cammy thread really creeped me out.

I also lurk this thread, and somehow missed the Cammy thread. Just quickly had a look and yeah.. Creepy is the right word.

Same for me. Couldn't have said it better. Thanks all.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that poll in the Cammy thread a long with the replies going "but her ass makes her who she is!" are depressing.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with cammy is....her sex appeal is not something that is part of her personality at all. Its tacked on, and in her canonical case, it's also creepier in context.

She is the most straight laced, most conservative and steadfast and milquetoast of all the cast besides Guile and Ryu.

Unlike a character like Juri or Poison, her method of dress kind of makes no sense because Cammy is not flirty, or uses sex appeal in any way shape or form. She's a soldier/former assassin. (and a clone of bison). The only reason she has worn her outfit was because Bison had a thing for dressing up his all female harem of mind controlled psycho soldiers in skintight thong leotards because, thats his thing. (Also Cammy and Decapre are female bodied clones of himself that he was gonna transfer his mind into...but that's another can of worms)

In her SF3 ending she was developing her own personality somewhat.

hqdefault.jpg

And she gets that outfit again in SFV

11_sf5costume04.jpg

Albeit, without pants...(and I must scream)

Which they actually addressed (or at least designed better) in her school uniform costume

001.png

Her personality doesn't even acknowledge her own sex appeal, so to emphasize it so much as being "part of her character" makes it even worse. She was a doll created by a psychotic evil despot.

Her squad delta red was given similar goofy and revealing outfits to fit her aesthetic for some reason, but it's just as stupid seeing the rest of the team running around in them.

latest

So the ass thing. Its nothing more than a relic of classic SF2. Cammy is body positive but not an exhibitionist.

(Yes I know I have an R Mika avatar) R Mika Classic costume is so fucking abysmal, but everything about her other than her costume is fantastic.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Why Women Criticise Sexualised Character Designs |OT3| Fans: Lore! Director: No, I just wanted to see tittties
Why Women Criticise Sexualised Character Designs |OT3| Look, I just want some pants. A decent pair of pants!
Why Women Criticise Sexualised Character Designs |OT3| Because Heat Sinks

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017

I'll be another lurker to chime in and say "Same!" couldn't have said it better than myself, some of the attitudes in the rest of ERA skeeve me out.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Oh yeah, it isn't going to be Why Women Criticize Sexualized Character Designs anymore, but something more general.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I say, let's get philosophical 🧐

Why Women Criticise Sexualised Character Designs |OT3| 2B or not 2B, pants is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.