• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Project Eve thread was the first time I've been legitimately, full-spec angry on Era in months. I had to step away for my own sanity.
Weirdest one is the post calling you out for your avatar. As if they are the same thing.

Really stupid takes in that thread.

Edit:
Seriously. The folks who tried to avatar-quote me, as if Rogue's super suit is somehow any dimension similar to what these devs are doing with their teenage girl protagonist, made me see red for a second.
Yeah

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I skimmed through that thread real quick and reported a number of unactioned as of yet posts. We'll see if anything happens I guess. I put in the effort this time.

It is absolutely TERRIBLE that the phrase "prior ban for dismissing concerns of underage sexualization" can ever make it into a ban description. This guy had a prior ban for defending pedophilia, and that wasn't a permanent ban? Wild.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I skimmed through that thread real quick and reported a number of unactioned as of yet posts. We'll see if anything happens I guess. I put in the effort this time.

It is absolutely TERRIBLE that the phrase "prior ban for dismissing concerns of underage sexualization" can ever make it into a ban description. This guy had a prior ban for defending pedophilia, and that wasn't a permanent ban? Wild.
Yeah, I'd like to know more about that because what in the world??

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I peeked into the Project Eve thread, rolled my eyes and bounced... I did NOT see the "do you have a problem with female anatomy" post. time to hate-read

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I peeked into the Project Eve thread, rolled my eyes and bounced... I did NOT see the "do you have a problem with female anatomy" post. time to hate-read
It's gotta be the OT4 title. I didn't think we'd have a contender for cammy's ass being a part of her character so soon.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Like, the most annoying thing about the project eve stuff for me is that I KNOW that Hyung Tae Kim is capable of gorgeous designs that aren't, by definition, pin up trash. While perhaps overdesigned, his more elegant female outfits are quite nice and his male outfits are the kind of Chunni cool that most gamers are looking for, but he doesn't realize that those designs are also cool on women.

So when we see that he's a significant presence on a new game and what we get is....project eve...it's just disappointing.

Knowing he can design characters like this...

bladesoul-female-design9_hyung-tae-kim.jpg

but choosing to mostly design characters like this...

bladesoul-female-design15_hyung-tae-kim.jpg

Is immensely frustrating.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017

In general I see a lot of ban messages with the note that the poster has prior instances of being racist, sexist, transphobic, xenophobic dipshits. I always get disappointed when I see these prior instances aren't enough for a more heavy permanent ban.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
In general I see a lot of ban messages with the note that the poster has prior instances of being racist, sexist, transphobic, xenophobic dipshits. I always get disappointed when I see these prior instances aren't enough for a more heavy permanent ban.

I don't want to derail this thread into a full discussion of ban policies, but generally I agree yeah. The prior ban for pedo shit really jumped out at me as something extra though.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder Taro tweeted to buy it. And the fuck with that bathhouse thread? "You're not a man unless you peak at a minor" who writes this? Who believes this? Fuck

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder Taro tweeted to buy it. And the fuck with that bathhouse thread? "You're not a man unless you peak at a minor" who writes this? Who believes this? Fuck
It's a dumb old anime trope that's also in persona 3-5 (at least I think it's in 5, I know it's in 3 and 4)

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Not sure if I should quote the posts here, but I often see post where I don't know if I should report them or not. Are there any consequences for reporting to much?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure if I should quote the posts here, but I often see post where I don't know if I should report them or not. Are there any consequences for reporting to much?
As long as it's in good faith, it's okay iirc.

People have been banned for abusing the report feature, but that's obviously not what you're talking about doing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb old anime trope that's also in persona 3-5 (at least I think it's in 5, I know it's in 3 and 4)
It wasn't in Persona 5 but they made sure to add it, to the exact letter, in P5 Strikers.

As long as you aren't doing so maliciously or trying to gets someone you don't like banned it shouldn't be a problem.

I reported a post a while back not really for action so much as I read it in a way that came off as particularly harmful, and I wanted to bring it to the mods' opinion to see if I was misreading it so I worded that intention pretty clearly and where my own perceptions and misreading of the post could be factoring in. This was a poster I had previously had it out with elsewhere so I wanted to be sure that if I was reporting it that I be honest with my intentions so it didn't come off as "guy I disagreed with said something bad, time for my revenge."

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I propose all future threads be titled for sexist ridiculous era quotes. now there are 2 strong contenders for ot4... 🤔🤔

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Not related to the current conversation, but my fiance has been playing FFX HD and we've been poking fun at all the male gaze angles and absurdly skimpy clothing on the women npcs. Every time another woman summoner shows up in a cutscene, the camera will change position to her backside to show off their ass. A lot of the early cutscenes with Lulu zoom in on her boobs. When you meet Yunalesca, she's clad in a bikini and, you guessed it, the camera switches to a pan up from the backside of her ass. It's like they made every other woman besides Yuna sexualized to contrast her being the good innocent girl or something. Both her father Braska and the other male summoner Isamu are both fully robed. I like to imagine this is Tidus-vision in-universe and he's just really horny all the time for some reason.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
What I hate about the "It's a different culture" excuse is that it stereotypes an entire group of people based on their media. I'm pretty sure if you got caught peeping at a hot spring in Japan, you'd be in a lot of trouble. If it's not a big deal in their culture, then why does Japan still have separate bath houses for men and women? If it's not a problem, why do they have trains made only for women to ride on? Given that, it should be obvious that the general Japanese public considers creepers and violations of privacy as serious problems. In that sense, their attitudes are not much different than our own.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not related to the current conversation, but my fiance has been playing FFX HD and we've been poking fun at all the male gaze angles and absurdly skimpy clothing on the women npcs. Every time another woman summoner shows up in a cutscene, the camera will change position to her backside to show off their ass. A lot of the early cutscenes with Lulu zoom in on her boobs. When you meet Yunalesca, she's clad in a bikini and, you guessed it, the camera switches to a pan up from the backside of her ass. It's like they made every other woman besides Yuna sexualized to contrast her being the good innocent girl or something. Both her father Braska and the other male summoner Isamu are both fully robed. I like to imagine this is Tidus-vision in-universe and he's just really horny all the time for some reason.

the ass-in-frame shot where the camera is low and a butt takes up one half of the screen while the conversation partner is fully framed in the other half is a time honored tradition of totally great shot-reverse-shot cinematography.

I can't stand it.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

Lulu's victory pose is basically her just bending over with the camera focused on her breasts which of course jiggles.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
that NPC in the middle bottom row runs the item shop in the middle of the Calm Lands. That person doesn't sit so you pretty much see the whole design. The save point is also right there. One day I was demonstrating this game to my brother and his girlfriend since she was interested in RPGs and we all laughed when i loaded the game there.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Seriously. The folks who tried to avatar-quote me, as if Rogue's super suit is somehow any dimension similar to what these devs are doing with their teenage girl protagonist, made me see red for a second.

Wait, is THAT why that Rogue post was there? As a "you're a hypocrite" jab? If anything that Rogue design is how you can do that style of design in an acceptable way without male-gaze pandering objectifying bullshit.

Like, go back to the 90's if you want to see examples of Rogue-as-pin-up cheesecake designs.

842559977794f6d2446d8af8f9468953.png

Hawkeye initiative pose ✔️
Boob socks ✔️
Body paint as clothing texture ✔️

I'd post it there, but looks like the thread is currently locked 😬

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is THAT why that Rogue post was there? As a "you're a hypocrite" jab? If anything that Rogue design is how you can do that style of design in an acceptable way without male-gaze pandering objectifying bullshit.

Like, go back to the 90's if you want to see examples of Rogue-as-pin-up cheesecake designs.

842559977794f6d2446d8af8f9468953.png

Hawkeye initiative pose ✔️
Boob socks ✔️
Body paint as clothing texture ✔️

I'd post it there, but looks like the thread is currently locked 😬

I was so confused. Like of all things, a deliberately toned-down, modernized redesign of a character who is KNOWN for having a history of cheesecake art drawn of her...THAT'S what they choose use as "you're a hypocrite" ammo? Seriously?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The wild thing about the guy avatar quoting you was the blatant misrepresentation of the game he offered with the screenshot he posted as comparison too. Like just straight up lying about what you were complaining about, real gross.

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
It's only tangentially relevant to this thread but apparently it is possible to rile up some of the GamerBros by giving a too realistic physique to a male character:

Though I guess the Carefully-Does-Not-Protect-Any-Vital-Organs style armor is something you would expect to see on a female character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The wild thing about the guy avatar quoting you was the blatant misrepresentation of the game he offered with the screenshot he posted as comparison too. Like just straight up lying about what you were complaining about, real gross.

Seriously. I think they were trying to get a rise out of me on purpose and they almost succeeded.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
It's only tangentially relevant to this thread but apparently it is possible to rile up some of the GamerBros by giving a too realistic physique to a male character:

Though I guess the Carefully-Does-Not-Protect-Any-Vital-Organs style armor is something you would expect to see on a female character.

I'm going to repeat myself trom that thread. GoW 2018 spend all its time telling us how Thor is a drunken madman, angry for unlimited power, prone to violent rage and murders anyone who looks at him the wrong way, feasting to kill time before ragnarok, being bored and despising everything... But they somehow imagined Thor would be this fierce golden greek god like shape...

Also, I honestly love that design. He's clearly dangerous looking, ravaged, pissed, yes, huge belly exposed, maybe because he's got too fat to fit in its armor, but doesn't care because he's so strong, nothing can hurt him. Its no comical at all and I dont understand why people (especially if played the game) dont see that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to repeat myself trom that thread. GoW 2018 spend all its time telling us how Thor is a drunken madman, angry for unlimited power, prone to violent rage and murders anyone who looks at him the wrong way, feasting to kill time before ragnarok, being bored and despising everything... But they somehow imagined Thor would be this fierce golden greek god like shape...

Also, I honestly love that design. He's clearly dangerous looking, ravaged, pissed, yes, huge belly exposed, because he's got too fat to fit in its armor, but doesn't care because he's so strong, nothing can hurt him. Its no comical at all and I dont understand why people (especially if played the game) dont see that.

Also, Thor is a legendary partier in the myths. He probably DOES wind up with a beer gut from time to time. That's like his whole thing. It quite literally fits the character, hah!

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah honestly the Thor design is pretty cool. It's Robert Baratheon in AGOT. Clearly strong and scary, but also uncaring and hedonistic.

I'm convinced the usual suspects are only throwing fits because they see culture war in literally everything. Throw that design in a gacha game and no one would bat an eye.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Also, Thor is a legendary partier in the myths. He probably DOES wind up with a beer gut from time to time. That's like his whole thing. It quite literally fits the character, hah!
I was thinking the exact same thing. Hedonism was a facet of Thor's life. Plus, it would make sense that gods would be able to have amazing power no matter the body type. They're gods!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

For reference, this is what a hyper-dominant, consistently record-breaking powerlifting Gold medalist looks like

talaxadzeee.webp

Something something peak performance something something

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
i missed the project Eva thread

the weird reactions to the forspoken main character's talking like a regular human being is weird though

she's super normal in her reactions and I'm seeing droves of people going "eww cringe"

sorrry she's not stuttering and doing the coy girlish flirt pose thing??

Oct 27, 2017

Also, I honestly love that design. He's clearly dangerous looking, ravaged, pissed, yes, huge belly exposed, maybe because he's got too fat to fit in its armor, but doesn't care because he's so strong, nothing can hurt him. Its no comical at all and I dont understand why people (especially if played the game) dont see that.
Agreed. I really love how he looks. The man looks like a mean bastard and I love it.

We need more diverse body types like this. Men and Women.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
the weird reactions to the forspoken main character's talking like a regular human being is weird though

I don't like her talking like a regular human being because I don't like that she IS a regular human being. The portal fantasy aspect is my least favorite thing about it. Her design as well as the other characters shown have been pretty great though

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I like the person who got mad at me for being mean to the now permabanned member who was just wildly sexist (and who it turns out had previously been banned for defending underage sexualization).

Fuck decorum sometimes.

I laughed when I saw that ban message, you can't make this shit up.

i missed the project Eva thread

she's super normal in her reactions and I'm seeing droves of people going "eww cringe"

sorrry she's not stuttering and doing the coy girlish flirt pose thing??

I know several men in real life who are just pre-programmed to give women (fictional or real) shit for being earnest and they don't even realise they're doing it.

It's like bro they're not being cringe you just hate women, lol.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
In general it's definitely better to report posts than to quote them in another thread, although mods tend to be understanding of quoting sexist shit in this thread. It shouldn't be an issue unless you, like, report twenty posts that have nothing obviously wrong with them. I don't shy from going on reporting sprees in threads like that, myself.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The problem with directly quoting and linking posts from other threads is it can lead to cross-thread/cross-community drama. Of course, it's not like snipes at this thread don't already happen.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I know several men in real life who are just pre-programmed to give women (fictional or real) shit for being earnest and they don't even realise they're doing it.

It's like bro they're not being cringe you just hate women, lol.

I'm sure some people like Marvel esque quip dialogue, but I'm just not for that. Immediately turns me off any character, that includes Nathan Drake. I feel for every villain that wants to put a bullet through his mouth.