Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a mechanical perspective I honestly feel like there's a reasonable argument that Disgaea doesn't even count as a Strategy RPG unless you deliberately limit yourself and play only the main campaign. Also Anime.
After a lot of thought I feel like being an SRPG fan would be ludicrously difficult right now if you prefer prevalent Japanese schools of game design but are repelled by prevalent Japanese schools of the other kind of design.

Oh, I get that, but it's the only series I can think of that has a SRPG like design that has unique characters and an...attempt of a story between them. It's still light years away though from FE.

Also, congratulations to Dary for being the #5000 poster!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
There's always SPRG Studio if it ever gets an English translation. :( Until then, maybe some of the games to come out of that won't be too bad in the female design department.

The only other one that comes close (and even then they're vastly different) is the Disgaea series and THAT SRPG is a whole different can of worms.
I tried to get into Disgaea despite really disliking the character designs but I just couldn't do it. :/

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
This thread has even surpassed many AAA game threads, both in numbers and quality.
Congratulations

Only amiibos are missing

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know Dragon Age gets rightly shit on for some of its designs but also:

So good.
Aveline is such a good character that gets forgotten in the disdain for DA2.

She dresses for the job (like most female soldiers in DA to be fair). Her husband dies at the start and it's not to open up a route for the player to romance her.
Does she go on an obsessive rampage? No. She quietly gets on with stuff, throwing herself into a new job, making a difference where she can.
She's friends with the player in that she calls out Hawke on his bullshit, and the way noble adventurers can choose to do what they like.

What I love about her is that she has her own life. She isn't sitting around waiting for the player to turn up, she clearly isn't interested in Hawke romantically, she's got her own people to manage, her own goals and relationships and politics to deal with. Dragon Age 2 is a game that never makes good on a fantastic concept (what if it was set in one fantasy city over a decade of strife?). However, what it got right was that characters like Aveline and Varric were the type of friends you could imagine having a beer with after a dungeon crawl because you're a party of equals rather than one adventurer with a crowd of adoring lackeys and love interests all hanging on your every word.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, though, I love the idea of the Xenoblade games. Western fantasy is forever stuck masterbating over Tolkien, and I love Takahashi's eclectic mix of magic, mecha and Gnosticism - so to see it spiralling further down into the murky mire of otaku pandering bullshit is depressing.
I'm extremely thankful that I've spent so long in that hole that it doesn't really bother me anymore even if it's, from an academic standpoint, awful to consider that I've basically been desensitized to the pandering by now. It's sort of like that moment where you realize that you've watched so much anime that the sense of humor has actually started to click with you--a beneficial thing, but one that comes with a pretty sizeable dose of shame and self-loathing. I don't feel like it would be a stretch to say that by western standards it's a culture (or subculture) that literally doesn't understand the core conceit of how humor is supposed to work. Something weird happening and then someone saying out loud that the weird thing happened in a shaken voice is not a joke, dammit! It just isn't!

But I still laugh at it nowadays, god help me.

What I love about her is that she has her own life. She isn't sitting around waiting for the player to turn up, she clearly isn't interested in Hawke romantically, she's got her own people to manage, her own goals and relationships and politics to deal with. Dragon Age 2 is a game that never makes good on a fantastic concept (what if it was set in one fantasy city over a decade of strife?). However, what it got right was that characters like Aveline and Varric were the type of friends you could imagine having a beer with after a dungeon crawl because you're a party of equals rather than one adventurer with a crowd of adoring lackeys and love interests all hanging on your every word.
I'll always contend that for any (holy mother of god so many) problems I have with DA2's actual mechanical and narrative execution, the core conceit of it is one of the strongest concepts I've ever seen for an RPG, and some of that shines through despite itself. Aveline's entire story arc is one of those things. Also literally everything else about her.

I wish more stories would just give me a town, a cast, and some kind of long-term narrative or set of goals and just let the years pass and the people develop while maintaining an intimate character-focused perspective instead of being a far-view sim. It's basically just Dragon Age 2 and Atelier, that I can think of.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Fire Emblem goes, I do think it's a good example of what people talk about when they mention supporting or not supporting games or other works that you really enjoy. I know some don't believe that can work. But ultimately if something isn't selling, then it's unlikely that a publisher will continue funding it. Anyway, FE is a franchise that had been around since 1990. By 2013 when Awakening was released Nintendo had decided that it just wasn't a series that was selling all that well. It'd actually been trending down rather consistently since it peaked in the early-mid 90's. So they told Intelligent Systems that Awakening would likely be the last entry unless it sold better. As a result IS went all out. They brought back fan favorite features, introduced new ones, made more fan service-y designs and so on. Basically if this was going to be the last then they'd just throw everything and the kitchen sink in. But it somehow worked. Just to put some perspective into how much things changed, the first week sales of Awakening (242k) was higher than the lifetime sales of Radiant Dawn (171k) which was released on the Wii when that console was on fire. The series also finally took off in the west.

So just from that IS/Nintendo could see that those changes are what they should build off of with the future of the series since Awakening had saved it. And sure enough Fates did even better, opening at 303k when including eShop sales. It also once again increased the series popularity in the west by selling 300k in its opening weekend alone. Awakening, which was the previous best opening for the series in the west, sold 180k in its first month. The series now compared to pre-Awakening in terms of popularity is just night and day, especially in the west. And with that a clear mold is established for them to work off for future entries.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Umm yes I've played all of those. You'll notice I said there were no SRPGs like it, not that there were no SRPGs at all. None of them are really quite like Fire Emblem mechanics wise. To start with, I can't even get more than like six characters on the map in most recent SRPGs like Banner Saga.
Yeah, Tactics Ogre is probably the closest analog to Fire Emblem, and even it is much closer to Final Fantasy Tactics in design than in the simple triangle-based (rock-paper-scissors) battle system of Fire Emblem. There is really nothing quite like the combination of what Fire Emblem put together, and it's unfortunate that the design has declined into such an obviously pandering, shallow aesthetic.

That said, that neojaponisme article really does illustrate quite well why the decline in design has both been so rapid and so pervasive in Japanese video games (namely, the need to appeal to the otaku consumer subculture).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I wish more stories would just give me a town, a cast, and some kind of long-term narrative or set of goals and just let the years pass and the people develop while maintaining an intimate character-focused perspective instead of being a far-view sim. It's basically just Dragon Age 2 and Atelier, that I can think of.
It's bizarre that so few fantasy RPGs do it, they seem stuck on the idea of a journey across lots of different types of terrain (forest, desert, caves, mountain etc) to offer variety, and then you reach a city after three minutes walking across the 'great plain' that has all of a dozen houses. Most of the tabletop RPGs I've played over the years have been set in a single city, it's possible for different areas to have completely different vibes without resorting to such well-trod themes as the elements or the most 'exciting' part of a settlement being it's ludicrously over-sized sewer system.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The fact that this isn't a thing yet is beyond disappointing.
Well, can Sims 4 count for that? They brought in a giant Gender Patch, where a sim can use either gender clothes/hair/makeup, can set a different body type from gender (can chose a feminine body for a male sims, and vice versa), and can enable whether a sim pees sitting or standing or enable whether a sims can get pregant or get other sims pregnant or neither. I don't think I've ever seen another game include so many options for gender, specially so detailed.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Well, can Sims 4 count for that? They brought in a giant Gender Patch, where a sim can use either gender clothes/hair/makeup, can set a different body type from gender (can chose a feminine body for a male sims, and vice versa), and can enable whether a sim pees sitting or standing or enable whether a sims can get pregant or get other sims pregnant or neither. I don't think I've ever seen another game include so many options for gender, specially so detailed.
I keep forgetting about Sims because... well, EA. But you know, it is good that they more or less do offer androgynous options for shaping the face and body (not to mention all of the gender option stuff).

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I would love to see more of this. I'm a pretty big fan of the Atelier series, and I really enjoy the low-key, more personal stories you see in the better titles. Sometimes, I would rather focus on a single town than go on a sprawling journey to save the world. I'm not sure why these types of stories are so rare.

On topic, Atelier also has a few great female character designs.

J9b9HaV.jpg

QPZ3ry3.jpg

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually going to pull from an unfortunately shortlist of Fate designs I like and use Mordred's armor as an example. It is a gendered design since the faulds are elongated to evoke the look of a dress however I think it really works here because this stylistic choice dosen't undermine the fact that it is armor. In fact the character is more armored because of it. The heels are eh, but not deal breaking for me.
l2bhdPX.png

It sucks that her unarmored designs and the series she comes from are bad. Though weirdly enough her and Astolfo (A guy in a dress) are the only things I really ended up liking from that series.

Speaking of Fate and gacha, I find the armored Knights of Round in Fate/Grand Order really cool:

uxRLokN.jpg

Artoria is the one in the middle. She pretty much gets the same armor treatment as the rest.

But of course, the men get more armored and clothed as they level up, while the women are the opposite.

VNBqMEp.jpg
RDA5pfF.jpg

1uebW64.jpg
bpFCsBZ.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Speaking of Fate and gacha, I find the armored Knights of Round in Fate/Grand Order really cool:

uxRLokN.jpg

Artoria is the one in the middle. She pretty much gets the same armor treatment as the rest.

But of course, the men get more armored and clothed as they level up, while the women are the opposite.

wCWch06.png
pXCfJ5E.png

qjBLJcj.png
FEFSONt.png

Oh. Of course they disrobe as they get stronger. I guess Fate runs on Kill la Kill logic, except only with the women.

Artoria on the bottom confuses me. How does she fit in that tiny armor? It looks painful. Should be broader.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I would love to see more of this. I'm a pretty big fan of the Atelier series, and I really enjoy the low-key, more personal stories you see in the better titles. Sometimes, I would rather focus on a single town than go on a sprawling journey to save the world. I'm not sure why these types of stories are so rare.

On topic, Atelier also has a few great female character designs.
As much as recent Atelier games have had bits and pieces of skeevy content, a CG here and there, a few designs, some DLC outfits--it's always been a series with a primary female target demographic trying to reach into the otaku money pit as best it can without fully alienating, which I think has done it pretty well at mitigating its backslide where some other series have just gone completely mad. More importantly, I feel like for anybody who's over the hump and acclimated to Japanese tropes and character writing quirks, the actual writing in a lot of the games is absolutely stellar at moments, even if it has its more "uhhh..." stuff going on here and there.

Atelier Totori is one of my favorite games in the series because despite the fact that it's centered around the wide-ranging adventures of a girl trying to balance following in her adventurer mother's footsteps with finding her own place in the world, and she spends an increasingly large amount of time in the big city as the years pass instead of her rural hometown, everything always leads her back home to her dad and sister again eventually and it creates an incredibly strong emotional core for the game. Even with the most recent subseries' somewhat escalated pursuit of iffy designwork (though that's mostly a Yuugen problem. I like NOCO. She's great and her characters dress sanely.), I'm absolutely terrified of the prospect of the next game in the series tackling the same kind of stuff Totori did. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not going to do very well with a story about a pair of twin sisters with a single dad just trying to keep his head above water who're pursuing a career in the shadow of their late mother. Family drama kills me, even when it's anime as hell.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Speaking of FGO, I love Raikou but God if she isn't the embodiment of "how do women's bodies work???" in Japanese game design.
latest

Tiny ass waist and neck, humongous breasts with vacuum wrapping, wide hips, no shoes... Just. I can see why people are put off of FGO, shall we say?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
As much as recent Atelier games have had bits and pieces of skeevy content, a CG here and there, a few designs, some DLC outfits--it's always been a series with a primary female target demographic trying to reach into the otaku money pit as best it can without fully alienating, which I think has done it pretty well at mitigating its backslide where some other series have just gone completely mad. More importantly, I feel like for anybody who's over the hump and acclimated to Japanese tropes and character writing quirks, the actual writing in a lot of the games is absolutely stellar at moments, even if it has its more "uhhh..." stuff going on here and there.

Atelier Totori is one of my favorite games in the series because despite the fact that it's centered around the wide-ranging adventures of a girl trying to balance following in her adventurer mother's footsteps with finding her own place in the world, and she spends an increasingly large amount of time in the big city as the years pass instead of her rural hometown, everything always leads her back home to her dad and sister again eventually and it creates an incredibly strong emotional core for the game. Even with the most recent subseries' somewhat escalated pursuit of iffy designwork (though that's mostly a Yuugen problem. I like NOCO. She's great and her characters dress sanely.), I'm absolutely terrified of the prospect of the next game in the series tackling the same kind of stuff Totori did. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not going to do very well with a story about a pair of twin sisters with a single dad just trying to keep his head above water who're pursuing a career in the shadow of their late mother. Family drama kills me, even when it's anime as hell.
Are any of the recent Atelier series released on PC worth purchasing? I've always been kinda vaguely interested in the Atelier series but have always been pretty back and forth on the designs and the really hammy writing.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I've not played an Atelier game since Iris crashed on me during the final boss. There are so many of them, and half of them have remakes, that I'm never sure which one to actually try...

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of FGO, I love Raikou but God if she isn't the embodiment of "how do women's bodies work???" in Japanese game design.
Tiny ass waist and neck, humongous breasts with vacuum wrapping, wide hips... Just. I can see why people are put off of FGO, shall we say?
Quoting myself from ~25 pages back because it's relevant again, lol.
It's honestly one of the most fascinating things I've seen in all my time following anime and Japanese art communities, Raita's slide from a relatively technically skilled artist who actually knows what a human looks like and exaggerates for effect to whatever the hell happened. There's been such a twisted pursuit of exaggerated sex appeal that it appears to have made him forget what women even look like.
It's such a weird thing, that.
Are any of the recent Atelier series released on PC worth purchasing? I've always been kinda vaguely interested in the Atelier series but have always been pretty back and forth on the designs and the really hammy writing.
The Steam Atelier games are less than perfect (but not disastrous) ports by my understanding, but Atelier Sophie is the start of the most recent trilogy and probably one of the better games to start with. One of the two character designers produces some iffy stuff--this is the most pandery Atelier has gotten to the otaku crowd thus far--and the game's cast is kind of lacking in the strong emotional core that makes the better games more successful (they're largely just nice people being nice and kinda boring) but I thought it was an enjoyable experience overall.

I don't think it gives an accurate representation of the series biggest strengths or best moments, but it's a good way to see if you'd enjoy the basic idea of an Atelier game in an environment without the time limits the series is usually known for, anyway.

It also has one of the most uplifting battle themes in the history of the universe. GUST's composers are incredible.

Firis is a sequel and a significantly weaker game, though there hasn't been an Atelier game I haven't liked on some level yet.

I've not played an Atelier game since Iris crashed on me during the final boss. There are so many of them, and half of them have remakes, that I'm never sure which one to actually try...
It was such a bizarre bug, that infurated me when I was younger. You had to turn the sound all the way down to mute to finish the damned game.

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017

uxRLokN.jpg

wCWch06.png
pXCfJ5E.png

qjBLJcj.png
FEFSONt.png

Mordred's dosen't even make sense since you'd think she would ascend into her armor since it's a part of her full power. And Arturia Lancer is so cool before MASSIVE BOOBS. Thank god you can select which art and form you can have in battle no matter the level.

Though credit where credit is due there are male characters that disrobe such as Gil. Which weirdly enough makes more sense for him since he considers his bare body a treasure or whatever.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Tiny ass waist and neck, humongous breasts with vacuum wrapping, wide hips, no shoes... Just. I can see why people are put off of FGO, shall we say?

Raita is a meme hentai artist. Even people who like sexier stuff won't stan for Raita and his art. I don't know why anyone hires him.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not to be the damper on what you're saying, but isnt it true that the stupid waifu shit(anime tropes/etc) is what saved Fire Emblem since the series was in heavy decline before Awakening came out? (and being on the 3ds*) )

There was always this misconeption.

It was ACTUALLY MARKETING THE DAMN SERIES that saved it. Like until Awakening, Fire Emblem didn't even get commercials beyond the poisoned mutton one.

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me wonder what Nintendo has in store for Fire Emblem that is coming out for the Switch next year actually... please be like pre-Awakening, please!

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
  • Character creation that allows androgynous appearances and also options for androgynous clothing
The fact that this isn't a thing yet is beyond disappointing.
Yeah, it's bloody weird. The closest you'll get is generally "cute" races like Lalafell in FFXIV or Lyn in Blade & Soul, and obviously that's incredibly restrictive if you happen to not be a fan of those respective races' aesthetics.

Since we're sharing anecdotes: I think I learned of my love of androgyny way back when I rolled female Iksar in EQ2. There's just something about that sleek aesthetic... It was one of the first times I really managed to get "stuck in" with an MMORPG - and also one of the first times I participated in actual roleplaying. Sadly, however, there is literally no other game since, to my knowledge, that has added an equivalent race, so I'm stuck rolling either the "cute" races or relying on incredibly robust character creation tools (with Dragon's Dogma being a standout in this regard). My attraction to androgyny is so strong that I'll attempt to roll an androgynous (female) character in every game that has character creation, and if the game doesn't support my choice enough to my tastes I'll likely drop it before even giving it a chance.

This was the case for games like Age of Conan, The Secret World, Star Wars: The Old Republic (serious disappointment here - I'm a big Star Wars fan and the character creation was a noticeable step down from Star Wars Galaxies), hell, even World of Warcraft was something I took two looks at and went "ehhhh, no thanks" because not a single race would support my choice to play as a purely androgynous-looking woman. (Seriously, wtf, Blizzard? You have how many races in this game and not one lacks gender dimorphism? EVEN WITH THE NEW SUBRACES???) It likely sounds petty to people who can't imagine wanting something this badly and hardly ever getting it, but it really is a deal-breaker for me in this day and age. I genuinely don't think it's too much to ask with the resources major game developers have.

Oh yeah, I should mention Black Desert - people love to praise that game for its character creation, but you know what? It was nothing but disappointment for me. Disappointment that the body slider variation is absolutely minuscule. Disappointment that the free outfits are all pretty closely identical variations of the same base outfit, and all the paid-for outfits bar one or two are pure pandering for the male gaze. Disappointment that character models are tied directly to character class (seriously, why?). I love the game's concept and the unusual approach it takes with regards to non-combat activities, but I have a really hard time getting past the fact that the character just doesn't feel like mine when I have so little control over how they look in the end (not to mention the fact that I can only realistically play Tamer because they're the closest to the body type I want).

Life's hard for non-binary folks in this world.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Steam Atelier games are less than perfect (but not disastrous) ports by my understanding, but Atelier Sophie is the start of the most recent trilogy and probably one of the better games to start with. One of the two character designers produces some iffy stuff--this is the most pandery Atelier has gotten to the otaku crowd thus far--and the game's cast is kind of lacking in the strong emotional core that makes the better games more successful (they're largely just nice people being nice and kinda boring) but I thought it was an enjoyable experience overall.

I don't think it gives an accurate representation of the series biggest strengths or best moments, but it's a good way to see if you'd enjoy the basic idea of an Atelier game in an environment without the time limits the series is usually known for, anyway.

It also has one of the most uplifting battle themes in the history of the universe. GUST's composers are incredible.

Firis is a sequel and a significantly weaker game, though there hasn't been an Atelier game I haven't liked on some level yet.

Ive avoided those games cause young cute anime girl really has me suspicious these days :/

Are they kinda somewhere along the lines of ghibli with whimsical fantasy with character growth focus and stuff? that's kinda what a brief view looks like

The trailers on two of the games I clicked on steam started with panning up the characters' bodies with some lingering on the bottom of the skirt and breast area and the character design seems to get in questionable territory :/ but yeah those are just the steam games so hopefully the rest would do better

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

I think I'll put Sophie on my wishlist for now and maybe decide if I want to dive in later.

As for the criticism blog, if you have a subdomain you want and are willing to pay the $15 or so for the domain name (it's a yearly charge), I can provide a Bluehost Wordpress site for you for free. Alternatively, Wordpress blogs are completely free. (animebullshit.com is available. ;) )

Oct 27, 2017
Ive avoided those games cause young cute anime girl really has me suspicious these days :/

Are they kinda somewhere along the lines of ghibli with whimsical fantasy with character growth focus and stuff? that's kinda what a brief view looks like

The trailers on two of the games I clicked on steam started with panning up the characters' bodies with some lingering on the bottom of the skirt and breast area and the character design seems to get in questionable territory :/ but yeah those are just the steam games so hopefully the rest would do better
I don't wanna give the impression that Atelier games are ever free of pandering in the modern era, because it's just not a reality of anime games. This stuff is a matter of degrees at this point, and everything is sliding closer to Peak Anime at its own pace as time passes. As far as how much pandering you're gonna get, it depends really heavily on the individual subseries you're playing.

The earlier localized games, Atelier Iris 1-3 and Mana Khemia 1 and 2, predate modern otaku pandering trends (though they're still very anime) and are in-line with anime from the era in which they released. That said, they all have male protagonists, are more in-line with standard RPGs rather than sim hybrids, and were a brief foray into attempting to draw a larger audience for the series before Otaku Hell started. The modern games get a bit more complex.

The Arland trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru) get into iffy territory but, in my mind, manage to pull through with strong (but anime) character writing and some pretty strong design (The designs MaskedNdi posted up the page are from this subseries, but so too are insane frilled monstrosities in leotards with transparent and very short skirts). All three are whimsical fantasy romps about girls running alchemy shops, though the second game which I discussed up a ways has a really solid and more serious plot running concurrently. The setting they share is light and fluffy and happy and conflict, in general, is low and extremely personal when it does show up.

The Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie) pulls back on the fanservice and otaku pandering to an insane degree, though not completely, and focuses on an absolutely fascinating apocalyptic world--one dying slowly and inevitably, long past the point of no return. The stories are still extremely personal and low-stakes compared to most RPGs, because even if the casts are sometimes tangentially involved in trying to figure out how to save the world, it's not a matter of heroic spirit. Entropy is eternal. It's my favorite setting in the series by far, but the games themselves are somewhat weaker than the previous three.

The Mysterious trilogy (Sophie, Firis, and the upcoming Lydie & Suelle) is by far the most egregious of the games when it comes to otaku pandering, likely because the Dusk games had a marked decrease in sales that I'm sure was assumed to be from lower otaku secondary demographic interest. They take place in a much less distinct setting and appear to be an attempt to catch the lightning in a bottle (relatively speaking) that was the sales of the Arland games again by trying to make something similar.

Provided you're familiar with anime, which has its own dramatic language and a lot of very heavily codified tropes that appear almost universally, each of the games in the series is still written primarily for its more enduring fanbase--the people who made the "This is straight up a shoujo anime in game form" game that was Atelier Marie into a success twenty years ago. Most of their themes, story arcs, and character archetypes remain in-line with that. They tend to pursue very deeply personal story arcs with low global stakes. There's a series wide focus on family drama, pursuit of dreams and careers, light romance, and friendship over saving the world. The games absolutely do things to pander to otaku, though--many of them have at least one extremely uncomfortable scene here or there that was blatantly thrown in for the secondary demographic's benefit, lots of them have somewhat skeevy DLC costumes, and some of the character designs for female characters can get iffy even without those costumes.

I think the best thing you could probably do is skim through lets plays or something to determine how the otaku pandering hits you, or whether it's innocuous to mostly avoid, if you really want to get into the series. These are unfortunate realities of niche Japanese games at this point. Atelier's still backsliding, it's just got a somewhat better foothold than Xenoblade did.

Someone really does have to make that website, though...
(animebullshit.com is available. ;) )
...and this is good to know. Hah.

EDIT: In the interest of showcasing how extreme the difference in general atmosphere is in the Dusk games since you looked at the steam trailers for the Mysterious games, this is how Atelier Ayesha first presents itself:

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Raita strikes again!
Raita is a meme hentai artist. Even people who like sexier stuff won't stan for Raita and his art. I don't know why anyone hires him.
It's honestly one of the most fascinating things I've seen in all my time following anime and Japanese art communities, Raita's slide from a relatively technically skilled artist who actually knows what a human looks like and exaggerates for effect to whatever the hell happened. There's been such a twisted pursuit of exaggerated sex appeal that it appears to have made him forget what women even look like.
Wait what that's RAITA'S work?
Like I knew his characters were... slimmer than actuality, and could have pretty large chests as per Selvaria but like they never seemed THAT bad... for him to have gone in this direction...
And then I clicked on the up arrow on rabbit's quote to dive back in the thread, saw that gacha card of Selvaria as opposed to her in-game model and had a sad.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what that's RAITA'S work?
Like I knew his characters were... slimmer than actuality, and could have pretty large chests as per Selvaria but like they never seemed THAT bad... for him to have gone in this direction...
And then I clicked on the up arrow on rabbit's quote to dive back in the thread, saw that gacha card of Selvaria as opposed to her in-game model and had a sad.
I'd link you to his twitter so you could witness firsthand just how absurd he's gotten, but I'd literally get banned.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'd link you to his twitter so you could witness firsthand just how absurd he's gotten, but I'd literally get banned.
Then please don't. I'll go google fu and witness the horror myself.
Edit: ... wow, that'. Wow. Everyone's emaciated. ._.;
Yeah, it's bloody weird. The closest you'll get is generally "cute" races like Lalafell in FFXIV or Lyn in Blade & Soul, and obviously that's incredibly restrictive if you happen to not be a fan of those respective races' aesthetics.

Since we're sharing anecdotes: I think I learned of my love of androgyny way back when I rolled female Iksar in EQ2. There's just something about that sleek aesthetic... It was one of the first times I really managed to get "stuck in" with an MMORPG - and also one of the first times I participated in actual roleplaying. Sadly, however, there is literally no other game since, to my knowledge, that has added an equivalent race, so I'm stuck rolling either the "cute" races or relying on incredibly robust character creation tools (with Dragon's Dogma being a standout in this regard). My attraction to androgyny is so strong that I'll attempt to roll an androgynous (female) character in every game that has character creation, and if the game doesn't support my choice enough to my tastes I'll likely drop it before even giving it a chance.

This was the case for games like Age of Conan, The Secret World, Star Wars: The Old Republic (serious disappointment here - I'm a big Star Wars fan and the character creation was a noticeable step down from Star Wars Galaxies), hell, even World of Warcraft was something I took two looks at and went "ehhhh, no thanks" because not a single race would support my choice to play as a purely androgynous-looking woman. (Seriously, wtf, Blizzard? You have how many races in this game and not one lacks gender dimorphism? EVEN WITH THE NEW SUBRACES???) It likely sounds petty to people who can't imagine wanting something this badly and hardly ever getting it, but it really is a deal-breaker for me in this day and age. I genuinely don't think it's too much to ask with the resources major game developers have.

Oh yeah, I should mention Black Desert - people love to praise that game for its character creation, but you know what? It was nothing but disappointment for me. Disappointment that the body slider variation is absolutely minuscule. Disappointment that the free outfits are all pretty closely identical variations of the same base outfit, and all the paid-for outfits bar one or two are pure pandering for the male gaze. Disappointment that character models are tied directly to character class (seriously, why?). I love the game's concept and the unusual approach it takes with regards to non-combat activities, but I have a really hard time getting past the fact that the character just doesn't feel like mine when I have so little control over how they look in the end (not to mention the fact that I can only realistically play Tamer because they're the closest to the body type I want).

I've always been fascinated by androgyny myself, so I know exactly how you feel. I'm happy to hear you were able to find at least one game with it. Was very disappointed to get anywhere close to it in, say, Dragon's Age, I had to make an elf and even then he ended up looking more young than anything... :/
You'd think it'd be a thing by now. It seems more practical too. I can only speak for myself but sometimes having to choose a gender in a game feels rather pointless.
It really doesn't seem like something that'd be that hard to implement but so many devs seem intent on having male characters all have hard bodies and faces and the women all have curves and slender faces. Like you'd think it much easier to just have a default character model and then alter it towards feminity or masculinity rather than having two seperate ones to alter. But I'm not a game designer.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Just did the same thing. Oh...oh dear.

I mean, seriously, you need to be a total shut in to even think breasts work like that... It's not even attractive, for crying out loud!

Imagine if they drew dudes with watermelon balls and throbbing dragon cocks they could use for jousting competitions...

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
its almost like people have fetishes and anime boobs don't have to look realistic

if people didn't find his work hot they wouldn't buy his doujins

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It really doesn't seem like something that'd be that hard to implement but so many devs seem intent on having male characters all have hard bodies and faces and the women all have curves and slender faces. Like you'd think it much easier to just have a default character model and then alter it towards feminity or masculinity rather than having two seperate ones to alter. But I'm not a game designer.

Honestly, I doubt they even realise it's "a thing". Most people don't, in my experience. Seems society as a whole has enough problems with two genders, let alone the ambiguity between!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
In addition the website idea, I'd be interested in writing some kind of article that compiles the stories shared in this thread by women who were impacted by sexualised designs in games growing up. I write for a small Australian website that probably wouldn't be an appropriate place... Could just make a blog and rely on word of mouth I guess, any interest?

Oct 27, 2017
its almost like people have fetishes and anime boobs don't have to look realistic

if people didn't find his work hot they wouldn't buy his doujins
Oh, yeah, the guy wouldn't be so prolific and successful if people didn't want to buy what he was selling, and absolutely ginormous breasts are clearly a thing a lot of people like for what are probably pretty obvious reasons.

I just find it interesting that if you were to assess his artwork just on whether or not it gives the impression that he has his fundamentals down--ie., that he's taken life drawing classes, his older work would say "yes" and his newer work, paradoxically, would say "no." You can draw ginormous breasts, even to that degree--hell even bigger, and still have the result read like a cohesive human through the abstraction, and I'd generally assert that he fails at that these days. I'd actually argue that his use of color has gotten significantly weaker also. It's entirely possible for an artist to tunnel so hard into stylization that they accidentally forget the basics until the next time they take those ten steps back and look at the canvas again, metaphorically. I'd argue he's in that position right now.

Obviously his target audience vehemently disagrees, and I'm totally cool with that.

Just did the same thing. Oh...oh dear.

I mean, seriously, you need to be a total shut in to even think breasts work like that... It's not even attractive, for crying out loud!

Imagine if they drew dudes with watermelon balls and throbbing dragon cocks they could use for jousting competitions...
I guarantee you that's a thing but I refuse to look for it on principle even though I kind of want to see it now.

Last edited:

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I doubt they even realise it's "a thing". Most people don't, in my experience. Seems society as a whole has enough problems with two genders, let alone the ambiguity between!
Japan has to understand the appeal on at least some level - I mean, their boy bands look like this:
12465167.jpg
DA-ICE_artist_profile.jpg
fe2a4a60e590c0_full.jpg
Of course, boy bands usually court a majority female audience, so the lack of such options in video games with character creation is a major indicator of how little these developers actually care about having those options available for anyone other than heterosexual men. Like they say, the men are designed for men and the women are designed for men and everyone else is kind of left out in the cold.

Which is why it was particularly jarring to me to see Cindy in FFXV, in a game that would otherwise be really appealing to an often-underserved audience. Of course, the whole hullaballoo surrounding Mobius sure didn't help matters, either. Really sad about how this all shakes up in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Japan has to understand the appeal on at least some level - I mean, their boy bands look like this:
Of course, boy bands usually court a majority female audience, so the lack of such options in video games with character creation is a major indicator of how little these developers actually care about having those options available for anyone other than heterosexual men. Like they say, the men are designed for men and the women are designed for men and everyone else is kind of left out in the cold.

Which is why it was particularly jarring to me to see Cindy in FFXV, in a game that would otherwise be really appealing to an often-underserved audience. Of course, the whole hullaballoo surrounding Mobius sure didn't help matters, either. Really sad about how this all shakes up in the end.
Yeah, honestly it surprises me the most that Japanese games don't cater to this kind of stuff with character creation more. Even Xenoblade 2, which is shooting completely for the male shonen and Gacha audiences has Morag in it as far as androgynous characters go. It's not an uncommon archetype at all. Heck, she's even voiced by Mitsuki Saiga for god's sake.

Edit: For the record the second I saw Morag and Brighid together I would've bought the game no matter what they did. That's how you grab a person's attention.

0pHgFdV.gif

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

The closest I've seen myself in the games I'm familiar with have been the charr in Guild Wars 2. The female faces have softer features in general, but there are still options that don't look blatantly feminine, and their armors are actually unisex.
800px-Charr_Female_Warrior_concept_art.jpg

800px-Charr_female_faces.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.