• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you'll basically find no old characters in Square games, and even less old females.

Basically.

Old men very occasionally show up as supporting or party members in Final Fantasy, like Fusoya, Tellah, or Galuf. That's basically stopped in modern FF, though.
Old women are mostly relegated to Matoya/Unei roles. They're lucky to have plot relevance beyond being a simple checkpoint in a quest line.

Side-note, but I do adore XIV's rendition of Matoya. Would be nice to have her have more of a presence after the Heavensward expansion.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Valkyrie Profile remains one of my favourite RPGs of that era particularly because of how unique it is in all the different ways. I think it is actually the first game where I actually enjoyed playing as a female protagonist though at the time I was younger and it didn't really make much of a difference to me. No one else really compares, even today when I think about it.

Alas, she's only a supporting character, but The Last Remnant had Emma Honeywell, aged 41.

image snip

And then she died and was replaced by her daughter. Oh, I'm sorry, did you think the old, battle-scarred woman would have a happy ending? No, she dies for her punk 19 year old king. Welcome to JRPGs.

Her last stand against the conqueror remains as one of my favourite last stand moments for a female character. However I find the way they handled everything after kind of, well, incredibly shit. Sure we have the funeral stuff which was good but then Emmy and how Emma was pretty much never mentioned again. The loss of Emma is one of the biggest losses to The Last Remnant and Emmy though she functions exactly the same, perhaps better given she has access to some special ultimates, is a bandaid solution given Emmy's lack of character growth or even just screen time. Then again, TLR's script wasn't particularly great. A lot of missed opportunity, Torgul for instance seems like a really interesting character but there is barely anything interesting done with him. It is all David, the protagonis and the sister. -_-

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the entire crux of Nisekoi was about the two kids of the mafia having to date in order to keep a mafia war from breaking out? And eventually they literally throw all that shit out and like 100 chapters later they bring it up and the dads are like, "wha???? that neve rhappened...shut up"
I noticed the fandom around Nisekoi died pretty quickly once it became a generic harem anime. People seemed excited for a inverted Romeo and Juliet romcom as it seemed like a promising premise. Then it devolved into cliches and tropes right down to a little sister love interest.

The authors previous work Double Arts had an interesting premise too. A boy and girl have to constantly hold hands or else the girl would disappear. And it handle it pretty well all things considered. Too bad it was cancelled.

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Valkyrie Profile remains one of my favourite RPGs of that era particularly because of how unique it is in all the different ways. I think it is actually the first game where I actually enjoyed playing as a female protagonist though at the time I was younger and it didn't really make much of a difference to me. No one else really compares, even today when I think about it.
Yeah, it's my favorite PSX game.
Suikoden 2 is probably my favourite PSX RPG but VP isn't far behind. I think if anything I appreciate it more later while Suikoden 2 is powered far more by nostalgia as well. When I think back to the first time I played through VP I realise now that much of the story and themes washed over me. Chooser of the Slain was more or less a title without meaning to me, it didn't have much weight. The story to me at the time was about playing as a bad ass God doing bad ass things. Divine Assault that, Nibelung Valesti this, etc. It was just a lot of fun running around the dungeon with the platforming and the combo combat to unleash the awesome special moves. Years later I was playing VP2 on PS2 but I must have had a bad disc because at a certain point the game would freeze. Didn't have the money to buy a new one and ended up replaying VP1. At this time I also had access to some guides for the secret stuff and I was blown away by the game again. I actually followed the story and I realised how dark it was. How creepy some of the characters are etc.

Images from the game has been engraved upon my soul. The intro with the walk towards Odin, you lose your mortal clothing and the valkyrie armor materialises on you along with a brief moment of your wings and Freya says there is no need for you to knee like a mere mortal. I also really like the way you fly over the world and listen for to the voice of those on the verge on death. It really reinforces the point that she is not human but some kind of being with higher powers. I was blown away. So good. I wish they would release the PSP version on PSN already.
iW9tdZ8.gif

Any way, that's enough random words on VP. Back to Lenneth's design. I think what caught me was that her design and character fit so naturally. Rarely an instance where it felt out of place. No random blushing or shoe horned trope for cute blushing scene or anything like that. It was, surprisingly believable. Add on top that Lenneth was confident, powerful yet not really striving to over reach her status as Valkyrie until things get complicated with Loki but even then, her growth didn't mean she abandonned her role as one of the Valkyries.

If the game was to be released this year I can see so much going wrong. Her armor would have all kinds of weird gaps to show cleavage, midriff, boobs. Her skirt would be incredibly short. Her personality will probably be aggressive and tsundere for her love interest who is secretly the main character of the game any way. The only thing engraved into the enemy's soul in her PWS attack is probably jiggle breast plate physics and panty shots. I think my blood pressure is rising from thinking of more ways this game can be ruined so I'll stop now. >_>
Again, it's quite ironic that an immortal goddess feels and reads as being more human than 99% of female characters in video games. And yeah, I was similar and loved the game as a kid because it's got a really different combat system from... well, again, basically every other jRPG. Once I played it again when I was older I became much more aware of the game's much darker, non-idealized past, where characters are frequently prominent because they're pieces of shit. Part of becoming an Einherjar is basically fighting for the goddess as penance to cleanse the sins of your past by fighting actual, literal demons. And what's more, there are a variety of situations and considerations for each story. Some die for an ignoble cause, some find death an escape because of a feeling of hopelessness... one of the most interesting things about all the characters is that picking any single one presents a different story that is also relatable. The fact that there's also politics and a real feeling of how the Asgardian war progresses and how you contribute to it makes it even better.

tl;dr Valkyrie Profile does a lot more right than it does wrong, and its systems remain unique to this day among jRPGs (and really, games in general).

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Yeah, it's my favorite PSX game.

Suikoden 2 is probably my favourite PSX RPG but VP isn't far behind. I think if anything I appreciate it more later while Suikoden 2 is powered far more by nostalgia as well. When I think back to the first time I played through VP I realise now that much of the story and themes washed over me. Chooser of the Slain was more or less a title without meaning to me, it didn't have much weight. The story to me at the time was about playing as a bad ass God doing bad ass things. Divine Assault that, Nibelung Valesti this, etc. It was just a lot of fun running around the dungeon with the platforming and the combo combat to unleash the awesome special moves. Years later I was playing VP2 on PS2 but I must have had a bad disc because at a certain point the game would freeze. Didn't have the money to buy a new one and ended up replaying VP1. At this time I also had access to some guides for the secret stuff and I was blown away by the game again. I actually followed the story and I realised how dark it was. How creepy some of the characters are etc.

Images from the game has been engraved upon my soul. The intro with the walk towards Odin, you lose your mortal clothing and the valkyrie armor materialises on you along with a brief moment of your wings and Freya says there is no need for you to knee like a mere mortal. I also really like the way you fly over the world and listen for to the voice of those on the verge on death. It really reinforces the point that she is not human but some kind of being with higher powers. I was blown away. So good. I wish they would release the PSP version on PSN already.
iW9tdZ8.gif

Any way, that's enough random words on VP. Back to Lenneth's design. I think what caught me was that her design and character fit so naturally. Rarely an instance where it felt out of place. No random blushing or shoe horned trope for cute blushing scene or anything like that. It was, surprisingly believable. Add on top that Lenneth was confident, powerful yet not really striving to over reach her status as Valkyrie until things get complicated with Loki but even then, her growth didn't mean she abandonned her role as one of the Valkyries.

If the game was to be released this year I can see so much going wrong. Her armor would have all kinds of weird gaps to show cleavage, midriff, boobs. Her skirt would be incredibly short. Her personality will probably be aggressive and tsundere for her love interest who is secretly the main character of the game any way. The only thing engraved into the enemy's soul in her PWS attack is probably jiggle breast plate physics and panty shots. I think my blood pressure is rising from thinking of more ways this game can be ruined so I'll stop now. >_>

Last edited:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Even when Square does adult characters, they're in the 18-21 range. My dude Cecil is only 20, for instance.
TBF, in a medieval world like FF4's, 20 would be considered a full-blown adult. The concept of adolescence and young adulthood is unique to our modernised society - in the past fifty years alone the threshold for adulthood has risen from 16 to 18 to 21 and now hovers around the 25 mark.

Now, when these fantasy worlds have their young characters acting as if they were (idealised) 21st Century teenagers...

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I'm trying to think of a JRPG (sole/single, not co-) protagonist that is above 21 years old other than gimmick/spin-off characters like Mario from Mario RPG. Even listing those above 18 is hard (Cloud, Kevin, Shion...? I got nothing lol). Some protagonists I can think of don't have an explicit age but are clearly no older than 20, usually more around 16-18 at the most. Even those I just named are still just 22-23. The oldest I can think of is Jack in Wild ARMs at 27, but he's a co-protagonist (with the other being, of course, teenagers). And an "older" (as in, in her late 20's xD) woman? Perish the thought.

You can't just say this and not name the game! :P

I swear, if that protagonist is a 1000 year old demon, I'll slap you :P

I think most of the playable cast in Xenoblade X was in their 20s to 30s yeah? Not quite to your criteria but it always struck me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think there's some more recent VP images posted in this thread, you aren't wrong.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSO2 is pretty much a total trash fire in general when it comes to character designs. Alis is only the tip of the iceberg.
I had fun with it back when it was in beta, but it never really grabbed me enough to keep playing.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a corollary to this post,...

I just wanted to say that as a woman, it really doesn't bother me when women are sexy or show lots of skin in a video game. I don't even mind the fanservice-laden Dead or Alives of the world all that much. I'm not a prude...I dress in skimpy outfits all the time, especially when it's hot out...and I try to be as sex-positive as much as I possibly can.

But when I play games or read or watch shows / movies, the character's personality or the narrative has to reflect it. If she's a brash, bold seductress who runs a whorehouse and traps a wealthy monarch with her sexual prowess, a sexualized design makes sense. If she's an elven dancer performing on a stage at the capital city, a sexualized design makes sense. If she's on a sultry beach on a tropical island, a sexualized design makes sense.

This only really bothers me when you have characters like Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (shown in the quote from my earlier post) where she's shy and kind and gentle and gets flustered easily...but she's dressed and designed like she's a hyper-sexual being everywhere she goes. There is nothing about her personality or the situations she's in which would compel her to dress like that. I shy away from that sort of dissonance in my entertainment because it's a hallmark of low-effort and low-quality design and writing.

I put myself in the character's shoes. If I personally wouldn't dress like that in that type of situation, I don't want to see it being represented because it breaks my immersion. The exact same goes with male characters. Form has to follow function. If the character doesn't make sense, don't include them. I've been an author for 13 years and that's one of my cardinal rules.

The tragedy behind Japanese entertainment is so many times form does NOT follow function. It seems like you have otaku designers (or designers influenced by otaku sensibilities) who create characters first, AND THEN the world comes later. So instead of thinking something like: "Would this make sense in this fantasy world? Does this fit in with the culture? Would her role in this society allow for this?"....they just think "Kawaii desu ne!" and it gets created because she's either cute (moe) or excessively sexualized. For me, that doesn't make them a character in a world. It makes them nothing more than an archetype...and I've read too many books to bother with one-dimensional archetypes who exist solely to fulfill a niche without any thought to their placement. It's a fatal flaw in writing which destroys a book 99 times out of 100...and if you look at Japanese media through the same critical lens you'll see it abound.

That's why I have a love-hate relationship with Japan. When Japanese art is good, it's SUBLIME (like Kino no Tabi, Satoshi Kon movies, Makoto Shinkai movies, or Falcom games). But you have to sift through mountains of trash to get to those gems, and it's unfortunate that so many fans both domestically and internationally willingly champion this narrative laziness.

Ironically, if you ever play some of the fan-translated Super Famicom JRPGs, you'll find that Japanese designers used to be much more vibrant and thoughtful with their character designs despite their incredible simplicity...back when teams were very small and intimate, and the otaku fandom was in its infancy. You know, something like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI. It was peak creativity for Japan, in my opinion. Back then there wasn't even any stigma about Japanese games being "weird" or "for otakus"....they sold JRPGs in the West as regular RPGs and no one cared. I wonder why that's why I love my old SNES games so much today?

01Q4CJy.png

Western RPGs---especially modern Western RPGs---tend to be better about this (although they certainly have their moments). They'll design the world first, and then think what characters would live and thrive in that world. They'll unabashedly design a character super-sexy, but they'll give sufficient context behind it. It's a more mature level of story-telling and I've found I crave it more as I age.

I can't subscribe this post enough. It's exactly how I feel, and why I've stopped playing most Japanese games, or watching most Animes.
I love sexy, but the whole otaku culture is off the hook and most Japanese media is ruined for me due this. I love sexy characters and sex, I have my fetishes as any other healthy person, but most stuff nowadays is just too much and makes me ashamed of the media.

I would gladly play Witcher 3 for example without batting an eye if someone got naked. Xenoblade 2 makes me throw the game on fire.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old noctis is def sexier.

older_noctis_face_close_up_by_rune33-daeidvr.jpg

Yeah no shit! I do have to scoff at how "Old Noctis" is just over 30. I'm pretty sure he's not over 40 and yet you can tell he has strands of grey hair but I digress.

Old Noct is the shit and if I had the choice I'd play with this skin in the whole game. He's one of those practically unheard of JRPG male protagonist who sports *gasp* facial hair! Beards and mustaches have always been present in JRPGs but always as a sign of an older gruffer man in the party. The male protagonist always is younger and clean shaven.

More Old Noctises and less whatever-the-name-of-main-ShiningResonance-dude's name is.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
As a 41 year old geezer, anyone below 30 is a toddler to me. :P

Alas, she's only a supporting character, but The Last Remnant had Emma Honeywell, aged 41.

qLPoRo8.jpg

And then she died and was replaced by her daughter. Oh, I'm sorry, did you think the old, battle-scarred woman would have a happy ending? No, she dies for her punk 19 year old king. Welcome to JRPGs.

And she doesn't look a day above 30 (in that image at least). She could have earned a living advertising skin care products instead.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's some more recent VP images posted in this thread, you aren't wrong.
Yeah... I'd almost say it's probably best to not search... what Square turned Lenneth into is... ugh.

Below is Hrist in the latest VP game.

DGGzy8FUMAIRhC7.jpg

And this is why we can't have nice things.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Great post (and really fortunate that it became first-of-page!). I fully agree that personality and garment choice should harmonize, which is why characters like Morrigan and Bayonetta seem congruent and entirely valid to me, but "innocent childhood sweetheart who happens to dress like a stripper" are huge turnoffs.

I think the reason why Japan blatantly disregards this as of the last decade or two (and I believe this has been touched upon earlier as well) is because it has become entirely normalized that fictional women dress like that, entirely separate from their agency or choice. They're objectified to the point that it's not even immediately obvious that they are supposed to represent human beings with agency that would presumably pick their own clothes. They're literal ornaments, little more than mannequins, and why would ornaments not wear the clothes that makes them the most attractive to the male gaze?

There's something that I've seen called the character's "inner spark" (I don't know if it's a widespread term; as a writer you probably know better if there's an official name for it), which is when a character behaves in a way that a normal person in their position would behave, as opposed to behaving in ways that advance the plot but make no sense from their own point of view and interests (this is referred to as "level 1 intelligent characters here, i.e. the absolute baseline not to insult the reader's intelligence). Anime (and let's not fool ourselves, other media's) characters routinely and spectacularly fail this simple check in the most basic ways (which often promps the viewer to scream at the screen). Choice of clothing would seem to be one more example of "characters do what the author wants, even if it doesn't make sense from the point of view of what they'd want").
Eyup. This is fundamental, Creative Writing 101-type stuff, and the fact that so many designers are so divorced from anything resembling reality that they don't even consider these things says a lot about where they stand as creators. It's not surprising that such a significant amount of Japan's output lately has been completely impossible to relate to when the otaku have taken the reins and no one seems to be around to drag them back in.

This is also a big part of why all of the many myriad excuses for female characters being dressed so poorly have felt straight-up insulting to my ears. Like, literally, it feels like whoever's posting that tripe is insulting my intelligence every time they do so. And, frankly, it is not flattering for the poster's intelligence if they genuinely believe the things they are saying...

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
This is also a big part of why all of the many myriad excuses for female characters being dressed so poorly have felt straight-up insulting to my ears. Like, literally, it feels like whoever's posting that tripe is insulting my intelligence every time they do so. And, frankly, it is not flattering for the poster's intelligence if they genuinely believe the things they are saying...
I get the impression some of the more...ardent defenders are, much like the people behind the designs in question, not big fans of the real world outside of their media-infused comfort zones...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Eyup. This is fundamental, Creative Writing 101-type stuff, and the fact that so many designers are so divorced from anything resembling reality that they don't even consider these things says a lot about where they stand as creators. It's not surprising that such a significant amount of Japan's output lately has been completely impossible to relate to when the otaku have taken the reins and no one seems to be around to drag them back in.

Yup. Anime is currently digging the rock bottom for new lows; it's basically this effect taken to the tragic, extreme conclusion, where each new generation is recursively more distanced from reality.

Which is probably to be expected of anyone who sees shit like, say, the worse Xenoblade 2's designs and doesn't feel insulted themselves...

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Chrono Trigger is an interesting example because it's Akira Toriyama. Toriyama is a self professed pervert and loves perverted jokes, but generally he's pretty tame with his female designs, especially if they're a main character.
Just recently with Dragon Ball Super we had Android 18 in a big fighting role and the outfit Toriyama chose for her was a track suit.
c81b6078fdda6e8fb8bb2e332aa7a100.jpg

I find Toriyama's female designs very interesting considering that he's perverted and how many other modern Japanese artists go for titillation over function.

Yeah I think it's one of the reasons I've been so enamored with Dragon Quest lately and its "If it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. For all the "lol sameface! All his female characters are just Bulma/18/Launch" heckling his recent DQ female designs have been really solid for the most part IMO.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to recently leave my MMO team of four years because I could not handle their views on women anymore. When we established a Discord, a NSFW channel soon followed. To begin with, they are complete japanophiles. Unless the woman is Japanese, you will not see her posted. They are mostly cosplayers, and of course photoshopped to oblivion. Anyone with eyes should be able to see that - but they are not. I began being the party pooper, telling them they are promoting harmful images of women. They insisted said women are real, and asked me why I take them for idiots. This same team had one guy remark that having sex while pregnant would not be possible for a woman, since it would hurt the unborn child. That man is about to be in his thirties, creates "perfect hourglass" characters online and frequently remarks "Where is the chest?" when met with anything lower than an F-cup.

Then there is the hentai that gets posted. While real women have to be Japanese to tickle their fancy, drawings of so called "dark-skin" girls have become increasingly popular with them and in the anime community as a whole. A real black woman would not get a single reaction out of any of them, but a dark elf - basically a black woman with long ears - or the drawing of a ridiculously tanned Japanese girl, way too dark to be that, really hits their spot. In fact, a drawing of a black character was posted at one point, and met with a remark about her nice tan.

Of course there is even worse. One guy among them is particularly fond of posting sexualized drawings of children. Another - sharing that preference - could not help but mention how cute they are each time. Naturally, so he said, just finding them cute does not mean he wants to fuck them. Their doings are repulsive, yet when questioned their defense is always the same: it's just a drawing. Real life has nothing to do with it, and of course they are into older women. Why question what is meant to be mere fap material? Why am I so negative most of the time?

Eventually, I had come to terms with my being unable to change their mind or behavior, and realized I was the odd one out. So I left, unable to stand them any longer. As a matter of fact, I cannot stand a lot of men these days, and you will find a lot of this kind online. These men do not realize they harm others and themselves by living a fantasy no live woman could and should ever match.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
The thing that honestly makes it frustrating is just the completely stagnant environment. It's not even a little variety, it's no variety, and every year it just becomes more extreme, as each company attempts to outdo one another with something more blatantly terrible while still following the same boring design. No evolution in the past decade has just tanked many of these markets because they're now hyper competitive.

And again, what artist seriously just wants to draw the same thing for decades on end?

I really think anyone who hasn't should read this set of articles on the great shift in Japanese pop culture on Neojaponisme. http://neojaponisme.com/2011/11/28/the-great-shift-in-japanese-pop-culture-part-one/
It's a great explanation for what happened and why it's still happening, and while it's a great history it's also pretty indicative that this shit is going to keep getting made because as these companies have become large businesses, the churn has set in and there hasn't been an indie backlash in the same way there was in the west. The big businesses became bigger, and the small businesses are largely pushed out or absorbed within a few years' time.

And by indie backlash, I'm not saying there are not indie companies in Japan; there are a ton of them. But they are all putting out the same crap year after year, trying to compete with much larger studios for the same audience and that... has not worked out well for them. And it's not working out well for the larger companies either, as everybody continues to double down on the same thing. Just the infinite effect of digging a deeper hole to nowhere.

And here's the big question: who are these shows and games for? I sincerely mean that. The obvious answer everyone comes up with, of course, is otaku. But there cannot be enough otaku to buy the same garbage replicated over and over again, ad nauseam. How is this not obvious by now? How is it their market has not shown them the obvious issue of making the same thing, but worse, year in and year out? It should not take decades to realize that there are not enough people in the world to sell the same thing to.

edit: And if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably why some of the greats like Yoshitaka Amano or Hiroo Isono left. It's just a shell of its former self. When Sega is hiring porn artists to work on their biggest franchises, I think it's fair to say there's a problem.

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I've had to recently leave my MMO team of four years because I could not handle their views on women anymore. When we established a Discord, a NSFW channel soon followed. To begin with, they are complete japanophiles. Unless the woman is Japanese, you will not see her posted. They are mostly cosplayers, and of course photoshopped to oblivion. Anyone with eyes should be able to see that - but they are not. I began being the party pooper, telling them they are promoting harmful images of women. They insisted said women are real, and asked me why I take them for idiots. This same team had one guy remark that having sex while pregnant would not be possible for a woman, since it would hurt the unborn child. That man is about to be in his thirties, creates "perfect hourglass" characters online and frequently remarks "Where is the chest?" when met with anything lower than an F-cup.

Then there is the hentai that gets posted. While real women have to be Japanese to tickle their fancy, drawings of so called "dark-skin" girls have become increasingly popular with them and in the anime community as a whole. A real black woman would not get a single reaction out of any of them, but a dark elf - basically a black woman with long ears - or the drawing of a ridiculously tanned Japanese girl, way too dark to be that, really hits their spot. In fact, a drawing of a black character was posted at one point, and met with a remark about her nice tan.

Of course there is even worse. One guy among them is particularly fond of posting sexualized drawings of children. Another - sharing that preference - could not help but mention how cute they are each time. Naturally, so he said, just finding them cute does not mean he wants to fuck them. Their doings are repulsive, yet when questioned their defense is always the same: it's just a drawing. Real life has nothing to do with it, and of course they are into older women. Why question what is meant to be mere fap material? Why am I so negative most of the time?

Eventually, I had come to terms with my being unable to change their mind or behavior, and realized I was the odd one out. So I left, unable to stand them any longer. As a matter of fact, I cannot stand a lot of men these days, and you will find a lot of this kind online. These men do not realize they harm others and themselves by living a fantasy no live woman could and should ever match.

Sounds like whoever manages that guild let NSFW devolve into a cesspool of porn and fetish stuff. I usually like to take a look at NSFW channels but it is pretty rare to find anything of value in any of them, that said I do think having an option there for NSFW talks is nice if the community is actually talking about off topic stuff. I leave a lot of guilds in previous MMOs because of dumb behaviour like this too.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like whoever manages that guild let NSFW devolve into a cesspool of porn and fetish stuff.

I mean that's kind of the point, isn't it? NSFW doesn't mean a cultured and nuanced discussion on the history of erotic depictions in art. It means porn and fetish stuff where people don't have to mince words on the sick stuff they're into. I don't see a problem with it provided there's nothing illegal going on in there and as long as that stuff stays out of the main channels if they're labeled as such. It's not much different from following certain porn artists on Twitter.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's kind of the point, isn't it? NSFW doesn't mean a cultured and nuanced discussion on the history of erotic depictions in art. It means porn and fetish stuff where people don't have to mince words on the sick stuff they're into. I don't see a problem with it provided there's nothing illegal going on in there and as long as that stuff stays out of the main channels if they're labeled as such. It's not much different from following certain porn artists on Twitter.
I don't mind porn and fetish stuff so much, but the child and loli stuff is super creepy, and the disparaging remarks just makes them sounds like jerks (probably sexist jerks). I don't think I'd be able to hang out with people who were into child stuff, nor people who cannot respect my remarks if I find something offensive.

As for NSFW stuff in general, comments should still be above board if you're in a public channel. Be a respectable human being when you're around other people, rather than turning into some slavering asshole. I don't think that's too much to expect. And if you can't, then maybe just... I dunno, don't make comments that make you look like a scumbag?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's been discussed in the smash thread, but elma has a great design that looks badass, and also very tame and not objectiying. Well at least apparently the first half of the game or something and then she gets an awful design.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Solange from Code of Princess is basically the epitome of stupid pandering designs, but when I see Blade Strangers in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKcUYBp0fm4

It still feels somewhat less pandering to me than, say, Mika in SFV or Ivy in SC6 (or that ArcSys girl who wipes her ass with the camera after she wins). It goes to show you how stupid costumes are one thing, but camerawork and the way the character behaves are also part of the problem.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind porn and fetish stuff so much, but the child and loli stuff is super creepy, and the disparaging remarks just makes them sounds like jerks (probably sexist jerks). I don't think I'd be able to hang out with people who were into child stuff, nor people who cannot respect my remarks if I find something offensive.

As for NSFW stuff in general, comments should still be above board if you're in a public channel. Be a respectable human being when you're around other people, rather than turning into some slavering asshole. I don't think that's too much to expect. That sort of behavior is very closely aligned to the "she was asking for it" type stuff. And if you can't, then maybe just... I dunno, don't make comments that make you look like a scumbag?

I mean I don't see it as much different than the downright insulting labeling of a lot of videos on any given porn site, just in a discussion format. A lot of people try to separate (and unfortunately many are unsuccessful) their personalities between the porn world and the non-porn world, with the former being a sort of anything goes kind of deal. I think there's value in that provided those views don't find their way into the "real world" of non-porn stuff.

But yeah, it's pretty weird if that's in a highly visible public discord. Some of the NSFW sections of discords I'm in aren't much different, but they're damn tiny and some are private. I'd also hope people aren't using handles that can be traced back to their real names or more visible usernames as that's a recipe for disaster.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I don't see it as much different than the downright insulting labeling of a lot of videos on any given porn site, just in a discussion format. A lot of people try to separate (and unfortunately many are unsuccessful) their personalities between the porn world and the non-porn world, with the former being a sort of anything goes kind of deal. I think there's value in that provided those views don't find their way into the "real world" of non-porn stuff.

But yeah, it's pretty weird if that's in a highly visible public discord. Some of the NSFW sections of discords I'm in aren't much different, but they're damn tiny and some are private. I'd also hope people aren't using handles that can be traced back to their real names or more visible usernames as that's a recipe for disaster.
I find that sort of labeling of videos to be awful, and it's never appropriate. The "separation" is the issue I'm talking about though. You're not going to see a person state to a cosplayer in real life, "Where is the chest?" Doing it online may make it more anonymous, but it doesn't make that person any less of a jerk. And I mean, I'm sorry, but those people are assholes, and it doesn't really matter if it's a "separate personality" or whatever.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

iW9tdZ8.gif

Well said. VP and Suikoden 2 have a very special place with me.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece

I was reading the foreword by some known editor in a Tezuka manga and the situation in Japan in the 60s and 70s was much different. This manganization did not exist. Manga were unknown or seen as kids stuff.Intellectual books and novels were still popular and the sexualised women archetypes were inspired by lascivious western women instead of moe.

That era was marred by other issues like racism and violence towards minorities, women and children worldwide, something even progressive thinkers would sunk themselves into sometimes. But despite that, the core narrative of those works was a world outside manga, something very difficult to achieve in newer works.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Been screaming for VP3 Hrist for years.... but....

NotLikeThis.gif

Like, literally, it feels like whoever's posting that tripe is insulting my intelligence every time they do so. And, frankly, it is not flattering for the poster's intelligence if they genuinely believe the things they are saying...

I also felt this but I sometimes I start doubting and hate the feeling of looking down on others due to their ignorance or lack of understanding. Yet when it comes to communications with these people it is nothing but headaches because of this and I hate the feeling of as if I'm on some kind of high horse for being able to see this stuff and trying to explain it to others.

I think we will be in disagreement here. NSFW doesn't necessarily mean anything and everything is allowed. Rules can be set in place and enforced by admins. It is their choice how to use it. NSFW is more of a warning about adult content than it is a label for anything goes. It is also why if there is a number of users who are into the porn stuff they can make a separate NSFW porn channel. Even within a porn channel there can be different tolerances. Ok to porn and ok to some of the hentai that is full of rape scenes aren't necessarily the same.

I also don't think this is always the case. Discussion is interaction with others, it normalises it a lot more than a mere label on a "product" that is used for instant sexual gratification. Even with porn labels there are restrictions by law and you will also see that some things are not going to be used as much because they skirt the line of it. "Jail bait" is a typical example. There are bound to be some but it isn't seen in the same light as "teenager" for example.

The way I see it there is value in a place for NSFW content because but it requires some effort to keep the mess out. This is keeping in mind I'm talking about more public and broad places. If you have a particular fetish or whatever I'm sure there are places for that, it just doesn't need to be the focus in a MMO Guild NSFW discord for example.... unless it was a NSFW themed guild perhaps?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is keeping in mind I'm talking about more public and broad places. If you have a particular fetish or whatever I'm sure there are places for that, it just doesn't need to be the focus in a MMO Guild NSFW discord for example.... unless it was a NSFW themed guild perhaps?

That's fair. There's certainly different expectations for an MMO discord compared to, say a Fakku discord or something. Time and place and all that, though it's certainly up to the admins to determine what kind of content they'd allow on their server and that's going to affect how discussion goes as you're still talking to the same people whether it's in the NSFW section or the MMO section.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
ou're not going to see a person state to a cosplayer in real life, "Where is the chest?"

Oh, they do say that :(

But there cannot be enough otaku to buy the same garbage replicated over and over again, ad nauseam.

Chunky sauce.

The audiences in Japan, including those that buy the stuff, likely want stuff to be different. But with far fewer alternativey, they buy that in lieu of alternatives.

Much like people that really wanted chunky sauce didn't boycott all other sauces, they just wanted chunky sauces more, and just weren't being served at all.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
That's fair. There's certainly different expectations for an MMO discord compared to, say a Fakku discord or something. Time and place and all that, though it's certainly up to the admins to determine what kind of content they'd allow on their server and that's going to affect how discussion goes as you're still talking to the same people whether it's in the NSFW section or the MMO section.
This is one of those behavior things that just always seems like an excuse to me, because while I agree there might be a time and place, a guild in an MMO isn't it. And frankly, I still don't see how one can deride women in any context and not have that be somehow indicative of them as a person at a larger scale. It might be acceptable in private if there's a woman or man who wants to pursue that, but it's not something I'd even do in a place where porn is "regular", so to speak (i.e., a porn forum or a porn discord channel). I just tend to find that behavior indicative of problems that individual isn't addressing, and is using the, "it's porn so it's ok", much like the, "it's just video games" excuse, taken to a different extreme.

Been screaming for VP3 Hrist for years.... but....

NotLikeThis.gif
Yeah it's... Squenix just ruins everything of late (I'd argue Nomura ruined everything, but that opinion might be even less popular).

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the fandom around Nisekoi died pretty quickly once it became a generic harem anime. People seemed excited for a inverted Romeo and Juliet romcom as it seemed like a promising premise. Then it devolved into cliches and tropes right down to a little sister love interest.

The authors previous work Double Arts had an interesting premise too. A boy and girl have to constantly hold hands or else the girl would disappear. And it handle it pretty well all things considered. Too bad it was cancelled.

Eh, no, not really. Maybe for people that read scans on the internet but the sales of Nisekoi in Japan actually had no significant drop until the end unlike what is happening at the moment with Shokugeki no Soma, for example, which has almost 200k in difference for the same period YoY in it's last volumes because of an arc.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, they do say that :(
I really shouldn't expect anything less out of these assholes. -_-

Alternatively:
sei_8722052.jpg

Chunky sauce.

The audiences in Japan, including those that buy the stuff, likely want stuff to be different. But with far fewer alternativey, they buy that in lieu of alternatives.

Much like people that really wanted chunky sauce didn't boycott all other sauces, they just wanted chunky sauces more, and just weren't being served at all.
That's more depressing, for a variety of reasons.

Consumerism/capitalism certainly isn't doing creative work any favors.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
That's why I have a love-hate relationship with Japan. When Japanese art is good, it's SUBLIME (like Kino no Tabi, Satoshi Kon movies, Makoto Shinkai movies, or Falcom games). But you have to sift through mountains of trash to get to those gems, and it's unfortunate that so many fans both domestically and internationally willingly champion this narrative laziness.

This reminded me of Sturgeon's Law: "ninety percent of everything is crap." But that doesn't excuse the laziness or harmfulness, of course.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I've somehow avoided every bad NSFW discussion room, I used to be in a discord where the NSFW room was more of a "tax paperwork" channel with mature users, dicussion, and yes, porn, but it was also highly regulated who got in said channel.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
And this is why Yandere Kanojo and Horimiya needs an anime. Fast.

As a Romantic Comedy lover, Nisekoi was such a dissapointment.

Be careful waht you wish for. I was ultra ecited that Wotakoi got an anime last season.

Turns out the director of said anime had no idea what comedic timing or decent pacing is.

Good romance animes, romance animes that aren't two kids sitting next to each other and mincing about regarding who will speak first, are rare these days. I still love godannar because, even though it has a ton of fan service, it still manages to do romance (and giant mech fights) better than most. Even the romance mangas I'm reading right now are so frustrating because they all, ALL, ALLLLLL, hinge in the idea that men are fucking stupid, even when they're brilliant, and women are spineless, even when they are incredibly heroic.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Horimiya had some OVAs. They're super low budget and based on the original webcomic rather than the later full art adaptation, though.

Yeah, saw them and died a little inside. I want a full fledged Horimiya anime based on the adaptation. It would be glorious.

Also, Yandere Kanojo, that manga basically screams for a anime adaptation. It even had a drama CD ffs

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I'd almost say it's probably best to not search... what Square turned Lenneth into is... ugh.

DGGzy8FUMAIRhC7.jpg

And this is why we can't have nice things.
That's fucking awful. How's the latest Lenneth in comparison to this new Hrist?

VP2 had shades of this, ahem, evolution of female characters in jrpgs with Alice and her diminutive skirt with a thigh gap thanks to her over the kneee boots, but it was never this bad.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I really think anyone who hasn't should read this set of articles on the great shift in Japanese pop culture on Neojaponisme. http://neojaponisme.com/2011/11/28/the-great-shift-in-japanese-pop-culture-part-one/
It's a great explanation for what happened and why it's still happening, and while it's a great history it's also pretty indicative that this shit is going to keep getting made because as these companies have become large businesses, the churn has set in and there hasn't been an indie backlash in the same way there was in the west. The big businesses became bigger, and the small businesses are largely pushed out or absorbed within a few years' time.

And by indie backlash, I'm not saying there are not indie companies in Japan; there are a ton of them. But they are all putting out the same crap year after year, trying to compete with much larger studios for the same audience and that... has not worked out well for them. And it's not working out well for the larger companies either, as everybody continues to double down on the same thing. Just the infinite effect of digging a deeper hole to nowhere.
I think it's important to highlight one of the reasons why there hasn't been a backlash: because the mainstream market in Japan has dried up thanks to the country's non-stop recession it's been dealing with since the 90s (and by a lot of accounts, is well on it's way to becoming a lost three decades at that). As pointed out in part 2 of The Great Shift:
The total effect is that as Japan's economy declines, Japanese popular culture is not just dropping in terms of sales but also in terms of total participation as well as "visible" participation. Consumers were once engaged with pop culture most actively through the act of consumption — buying a CD, book, or video game — but not only have they ceased buying goods, they are increasingly not even participating passively when media is virtually free, like in the case of TV. And they are not building significant new cultural spaces online with the same power, influence, and legitimacy as their precedents. There are almost no barriers to creating and distributing content, and yet the amount of legitimate content with engaged consumers is decreasing.
Like it seems insane that Japanese entertainment companies are focusing so much on the niche that is the otaku segment without some sort of mainstream economic backlash - unless the only way to profitability in the market is through the otaku because said mainstream can no longer afford to buy entertainment media. Of course, now you have to question why Japanese companies are still so laser focused on appealing to the their home country and not even considering outside markets when designing their products...

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
And here's the big question: who are these shows and games for? I sincerely mean that. The obvious answer everyone comes up with, of course, is otaku. But there cannot be enough otaku to buy the same garbage replicated over and over again, ad nauseam. How is this not obvious by now? How is it their market has not shown them the obvious issue of making the same thing, but worse, year in and year out? It should not take decades to realize that there are not enough people in the world to sell the same thing to.
I'm not a business analyst but I'd say to the question of, "who is it for", the answer is the industry. Under the banner of "sex sells" new "artistic productions" are made, which spins the wheels for CD releases, Blu-ray releases, artbook releases, Television deals, book signings, events big and small, marketing, merchandising...it almost doesn't matter if it sells as long as the wheels keep moving. It feels like there's this fantasy, and this is with all Japanese pop culture, not just seedy anime works made for 2:30am audiences, that as long as everyone keeps working and no one looks at the books that hard, the machine will live and everyone can keep their jobs. That doesn't always work, which is why things like the trash piles of AKB47 CD's exist, it's feels like in Japanese entertainment, there's this air of "Breakeven. It doesn't have to be a global success, just break even. Break-even and we'll move to the next one. Don't stop for anything, don't get discouraged, just break even because if we do, then this gigantic quagmire of an industry can keep spinning."

As an American, that's weird because we're told "If you do your best, you will be a super star" and that's likely bullshit because the American dream ain't real but still...it's a motivator and when you see western works doing what we're talking about, it's usually because something became an anomaly like the resident evil movies being wildly successful or animated derivatives of popular children's movies doing well enough to not only thrive but build empires on making fake movies based on real blockbusters, weird, oftentimes ghastly phenomena that works. Like, we're made to think that the idea of coasting is the worst possible thing you can ever do ever.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
In the news of Soul Calibur 6. Talim is announced. I'm a bit disappointed but I always knew I was going to be.

This is one of those behavior things that just always seems like an excuse to me, because while I agree there might be a time and place, a guild in an MMO isn't it. And frankly, I still don't see how one can deride women in any context and not have that be somehow indicative of them as a person at a larger scale. It might be acceptable in private if there's a woman or man who wants to pursue that, but it's not something I'd even do in a place where porn is "regular", so to speak (i.e., a porn forum or a porn discord channel). I just tend to find that behavior indicative of problems that individual isn't addressing, and is using the, "it's porn so it's ok", much like the, "it's just video games" excuse, taken to a different extreme.

Being an asshole in a porn forum is still being an asshole. Showing excitement, enthusiasm and getting carried away into misconduct is nothing new and it is still entirely on you. The fact is, there is a "side" to this person that is an asshole. Sometimes it is alcohol that brings it out or anger or criticism etc. The people who read your comments has every right to judge your character based on what you say. It's like saying "I'm only an asshole in this specific room where the asshole me is accepted, welcomed, appreciated and celebrated. Everywhere else I am not an asshole at all and so overall I am not an asshole." It is an excuse. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Content can always be consumed and discussed without the toxicity. Part of the problem is the normalisation of all the rubbish people say.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Being an asshole in a porn forum is still being an asshole. Showing excitement, enthusiasm and getting carried away into misconduct is nothing new and it is still entirely on you. The fact is, there is a "side" to this person that is an asshole. Sometimes it is alcohol that brings it out or anger or criticism etc. The people who read your comments has every right to judge your character based on what you say. It's like saying "I'm only an asshole in this specific room where the asshole me is accepted, welcomed, appreciated and celebrated. Everywhere else I am not an asshole at all and so overall I am not an asshole." It is an excuse. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Content can always be consumed and discussed without the toxicity. Part of the problem is the normalisation of all the rubbish people say.
Yup. The attaching of poor behavior to things that are culturally considered to be "dirty" is a major problem that a lot of people have problems dealing with. I can't remember if it was this thread or a different one but I think I brought up the subject of camgirl streams and how you still have to behave in those things if you want any sort of actual meaningful interaction. If you spam, if you're abusive, if you disrespectful, you get kicked out, and I don't understand why people would think they can get away with those things in something not considered seedy by society when their own definition of a dirty underbelly wouldn't accept their behavior at face value. If you act like a jerk in a bar, you get kicked out. If you act like a jerk in a strip club, you get kicked out. THAT should be the normalization and the fact that there are people arguing, at face value, "Why can't I be racist/sexist/abusive in public anymore" is fucking alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.