• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i haven't seen any hype at all for pokemon let's go so that wouldn't surprise me

that said, i don't think the amazon top sellers mean much for pre-orders, and especially not when pokemon sales are split between two SKUs

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Pokémon will go on to sell 15M+ units LTD. Smash will probably be the best selling Smash game but wont touch Pokémon's numbers.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon will still sell well regardless. I know for sure I'll be buying it digital as I have been disappointed in Amazon for a while now.

mazpratim

Oct 27, 2017
It has a chance to I'd say. I honestly hope Let's Go ends up underperforming, GameFreak has been getting really stale as of late.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
its uncharted territory due to the insane sales and downloads of pokemon go, so potential market is far larger than existing core pokemon games but we dont know if people will convert

personally I think pokemon LG is bigger, and thats due to how big pokemon has become not because smash is a slouch

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
I think Smash might sell better than Let's Go on the basis that Let's Go will sell a little less than the usual 15M+ due to being in direct competition with the Gen 8 games which come out the very next year, significantly reducing the legs. Smash is a once-in-a-generation game and so far has way more hype than Let's Go.

Gen 8 however might sell better than Smash depending on the scope.

No. Pokémon will go on to sell 15M+ units LTD. Smash will probably be the best selling Smash game but wont touch Pokémon's numbers.
But that's almost Brawl numbers..

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Probably not
You can't tell too much from Amazon charts. Don't forget Pokemon is spread across 4 different SKU's with the 2 standard games and the 2 bundles with the Pokeball.

There's definitely more hype for Smahs though, I think. Quite a few fans are unhappy with the direction Gamefreak took Let's Go, whether that will effect sales or not is yet to be seen.

Fuck it, I'll say yes Smash will sell better.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Never use Amazon rankings to judge software sales (ESPECIALLY not hourly). Ever. At best, you can make note that a game may be received favorably, but that's about it.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I think it'll very likely outsell Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee, but both would seem unlikely. It'd require very high receptional for Smash Bros-which seems likely-but it'd also require incredibly lukewarm reception for Let's Go. However, Gen 8 coming out next year and eating into Let's Go's sales will help Smash.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
I think Smash might sell better than Let's Go on the basis that Let's Go will sell a little less than the usual 15M+ due to being in direct competition with the Gen 8 games which come out the very next year, significantly reducing the legs. Smash is a once-in-a-generation game and so far has way more hype than Let's Go.

Gen 8 however might sell better than Smash depending on the scope.

But that's almost Brawl numbers..

Direct competition is an exaggeration. They don't even have names yet.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon numbers don't mean much, but Smash will likely win long-term since it'll be the only Smash game on Switch while Let's Go's legs will be cut off by the next 20 Pokemon games. Ultimate is going to smash franchise records that's for sure.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's 4 sku's for Pokemon for a start and it's more casual focused so it's less likely to have as many pre-orders.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I think an insider on the results thread mentioned that Pokemon overall is not doing much in the preordering sense but that is because it is more casual and that audience tends to preorder less. I don't think you have to worry about Pokemon doing well.

Green098

May 19, 2018
Let's Go is just a remake and not a new gen so Smash Ultimate is very likely going to outsell it no problem (2019 Pokemon game is of course another story).

Let's Go isn't a typical "Pokemon" game so it doesn't fall under the same line as Sun and Moon and X and Y, it will sell a really decent 10 million+ lifetime, but not the amount of standard new gen Pokemon game (16 million+).

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think so.

Let's Go won't sell as much as Sun and Moon, it will do well though (better than Pokèmon spin-offs like Pokkèn and possibly over 10 mln copies).

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
most of pokemon GO players will notice the "lets go" games when there is an announcement on PokemonGo telling them about that, and the new pokemon that they can only get with the game xd

so dont expect preorders from them, they will come when the game is already on the shops

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think it might. I have no doubt smash will do very very well on this system but I'm also pretty confident let's go will be the best selling pokemon games for a awhile so I don't actually know

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go legs won't be cut as tight as before with the release of 2019's game, because it will still be a product tailored for Pokémon GO's players, unlike next year's game.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Of course it will.

Pokemon Let's go is the fourth remake of the original game, and it will be forgotten when the real new Pokemon releases next year.

Smash will continue selling forever until a new console is out.

Even the developer is saying to wait for the real Pokemon.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough call, but I'm not positive smash moves consoles. Pokemon definitely could move consoles if it's received well with the market Nintendo is aiming for and if they do some good bundles.

Oct 26, 2017
Do people think this Smash game is going to sell less than 20m or something?

I think it's gonna clear 20m and I have seen no indication that Pokemon Let's Go is going to break out beyond normal Pokemon numbers.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl outsold HGSS while Smash 3DS + Wii U beat ORAS. It's not like there isn't a precedent of Smash outselling the nearest Pokemon remake. Both get the Switch boost this time while the full effect of the the GO influence is still unknown.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Both will be huge, but Smash will have long-term sales while Pokemon is replaced yearly with a new edition.

I could see Let's Go having a huge groundswell at launch, though. That game is going to be bigger than Era gives it credit for.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Smash has a great chance of outselling Let's Go. LG isn't going to be as popular as the usual mainline games, and Smash could be the best selling one yet.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is going to be a casual-heavy title, and casuals don't preorder games to anywhere near the same extent as the Smash Bros. audience.

Smash will sell 20-25m pretty easily lifetime.

Not sure anyone will buy Let's Go after Pokemon 2019 comes out.
Saying that Ultimate will "easily" sell almost double what any other title in the series has sold is a... bold call.

Let's Go and Pokémon 2019 are gunning for different audiences by the sounds of things.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's possible. Smash Bros Ultimate will sell all Switch life and Let's Go will lose their legs as soon as the 2019 titles come out.

Anyway, comparing preorders is stupid. The type of audience that Let's Go is focused on is not the one that reserves video games.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This is just hourly/daily chart, which can be all over the place. The chart of the entire year is a bit more stark though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2018/videogames

That said, keep in mind that LG doesn't just have 2 SKUs, it has 4. Also with it being more casual leaning, and a franchise that targets younger audiences in general, I would expect preorders to be not super high. Amazon rankings in general are not super accurate for overall performance either. It wouldn't surprise me if Smash outsells it though, I think people are really turned off by LG, and that reception is leaking out to the wider audience across social media.

Oct 26, 2017
Both will be huge, but Smash will have long-term sales while Pokemon is replaced yearly with a new edition.

I could see Let's Go having a huge groundswell at launch, though. That game is going to be bigger than Era gives it credit for.

I mean, it could I guess, but the preorders numbers have been ehh for Pokemon compared to Smash (as seen here and in the Media Create thread) so we're not seeing it yet.

It's also going to be hard to build up hype for the game coming up since they've shown... basically everything in the game already.

Ereineon

Nov 8, 2017
the worst part for GO players is that this game is limited to only gen 1. i know many people that consider it an "incomplete game" because they wont be able to transfer all their pokemon. (unless they patch that in the future)

anyway Pokemon GO will make a GREAT source for exposure of the game.

other than that... Smash will have the whole generation to sell, while LetsGo games porbably wont have a life bigger than 2 years or so (i see them launching a LetsGo on 2020 for Gen2)

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Don't the remakes usually sell less then the brand new Pokemon games anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.