• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star Wars license should go to...

• EA

Votes: 65 7.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 100 11.1%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 55 6.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 262 29.2%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 1.6%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 114 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 288 32.1%

• Total voters

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
When the contract expires, Disney will go it alone in a publisher role, outsourcing franchises to the big 3 plus other studios depending on their vetting process. It works with their ingrained policy of complete control of intellectual property.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They should license per game like Marvel games. IF I had to choose 1 publisher, it would be Ubisoft.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
go the marvel route and just contract per game basis.
They're not gonna give the SW license to a company who would make it platform exclusive.
They wouldn't give it to a company that would make it a console exclusive.
how does spiderman ps4 exists then? marvel games turned to sony asking them to make a game, knowing full well it'll be an exclusive, no reason why would this be any different.

Feb 10, 2018
I think there's a lot of hyperbole when it comes to EAs handling of star wars, yes they had a few mishaps but battlefront 1+2 are still very high quality games and so is fallen order.
In ideal world, they should of had some single player focused game from the get go, let Amy hennigs choose her engine and had more faith in her, but even with that said they have done quite a good job.
It could of been a lot worse.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I could see Square getting it since Disney been doing a lot of deals with them lately.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
One superhero out of tons which isn't even the Marvel License as a whole.
I get ya, thats kinda what I meant with the Marvel route; everybody should get a shot at Star Wars, platform exclusive or multiplatform.

Surely you're not calling Spider-Man niche
Its an ERA joke
nichemancoverudd44.png

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Let's go back to multiple different Star Wars games coming out from different publishers and developers. No exclusive rights. The more games the better!!

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft
and Microsoft / Obsidian for KOTOR III

People really voted Sony lol. We got enough Star Wars films

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
go the marvel route and just contract per game basis.

how does spiderman ps4 exists then? marvel games turned to sony asking them to make a game, knowing full well it'll be an exclusive, no reason why would this be any different.

You still have other Marvel things releasing on other platforms like Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch, and the upcoming Avengers game that's coming to all current gen systems and PC.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
To different pubs, let MS make a RPG with Obsidian, Respawn is perfect for the action game, maybe Nintendo can make a Star Wars FPS snd Sony can make a TPS like 1313

Last edited:

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer them not sign an exclusivity deal with any publisher but rather work with the studios like they're doing with the Marvel IP.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Spread it around i say, it's just not worked being locked down to one publisher.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is large enough that no one company should have exclusive access to the license. The various large Publishers all have unique views and talents they can bring to a variety of game styles.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
give it to everyone.

indie devs should get a crack at point and click star wars adventure games.

gimme crypt of the necrodancer, star wars edition

gimme a visual novel starring a bounty hunter who isn't boba fett.

gimme 4x strategy set in the star wars universe.

Nov 28, 2017
No need for Disney to let the license be exclusive to EA, no matter how much billions EA throws their way.

Split it up.

1. Continue JFO with EA/Respawn and see if a trilogy can work out.
2. Give one last chance for EA/DICE when it comes to Battlefront III as they've been doing a great job lately with Battlefront II post-launch support.
3. If Ragtag "REALLY ISN'T CANCELLED" and is still in development as a now open world GAAS title at EA Vancouver, let it happen and see how it turns out.
4. Try CDPR, post Cyberpunk and before the next Witcher game, to do KOTOR III. I'd love Obsidian to it as well, but exclusivity for major IP's suck.
5. Scavenge that canned Darth Maul vertical slice that surfaced some years ago, and hire Platinum Games to it, like what Konami did with MGR.

Just like they do with their Marvel IP's.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Give it to the studio with the best pitch. I don't care much about pedigree, even 1st time developer can make awesome games.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
if we're strictly speaking single player story, then Sony, else they should just not make it exclusive to one publisher really.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just to to join in on the tautological pattern; farm it out.

Disney and Lucus wouldn't need to attempt to pump out a bunch of movies if they just held mindshare via video games. Fallen Order, a KOTOR 3, Rogue Squadron, and so on can all be done by different publishers and developers.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You still have other Marvel things releasing on other platforms like Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch, and the upcoming Avengers game that's coming to all current gen systems and PC.
So why did you say they wouldnt give the license to someone who will make it console exclusive again? I am confused what is your argument here, you just shown another marvel game that is console exclusive.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How about no one? Let the developers/publishers pitch their game ideas to Disney/Lucasfilm.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
So why did you say they wouldnt give the license to someone who will make it console exclusive again? I am confused what is your argument here, you just shown another marvel game that is console exclusive.

You are saying they would lock down Star Wars to Sony. That wouldn't happen. As with Marvel they don't have the rights locked down, only Spider-Man.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever wants to do an RPG. Set it as far away from the 9 movies as possible. There's so much untapped potential.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
No one publisher should have exclusive rights. A few at least should just have by contract-basis based on what is pitched, one is just dumb and stagnates the license. The major thing though is no matter what, if it has any kind of story presented (regardless the genre the game is, RTS, RPG, Flight Sim, Adventure, etc.) Disney and the LucasFilm story people have to greenlight whatever is pitched to fit their continuity.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
EA is awful. Disney should license Star Wars in games similarly to how they've recently licensed Marvel in games. I think it's better to find and nurture partnerships that make sense for a particular game instead of letting a single publisher handle the entire IP.

In my opinion, the more interesting discussion is about not what Disney should do with the license, but what Disney will likely do with the license. As much as I would like to see Disney make a variety of well-thought partnerships for Star Wars games, I think they are most likely to extend the license with EA due to the financial success of the Battlefront games and Fallen Order.

Last edited:

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
It'd be really nice if Disney takes the license back next year and starts lending it out on a game-by-game basis instead of selling the rights exclusively to any publisher.

I would prefer this licensing approach. It would be similar to the Marvel games and we wouldn't depend on one publisher alone.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be licensed exclusively to anyone. EA has shown exactly why -- we only get one game every couple years instead of a ton of different games in various genres. Unfortunately we still have like 5 years left (I believe) before the exclusivity deal runs out.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
They should license per game like Marvel games. IF I had to choose 1 publisher, it would be Ubisoft.
Agreed. Could easily slap a Star Wars skin over most of their major franchises and it would turn out competent e.g. Assassins Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, the Division.
Huggeee difference between licensing a single IP and an entire brand. Tho obviously if Disney sanctioned Star Wars on a case-by-case basis the way Marvel is, then sure why not.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Could easily slap a Star Wars skin over most of their major franchises and it would turn out competent e.g. Assassins Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, the Division.

Huggeee difference between licensing a single IP and an entire brand.
I mean, just combine Starlink with Assassin's Creed and/or Ghost Recon Wildlands and you've got a great all-rounded Star Wars game right there.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
they'll probably stick with EA and/or EA will willingly renew. LA/Disney couldn't give less of two shits about your star wars dream game, they'll take the safe route that best guarantees the 10+ million sellers, games that (in their view) doesn't tarnish the canon or "brand"

not completely dismissing things playing out another way but both sides are probably content with how exclusivity played out even in spite of the BF2 bungle