• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CthulhuSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I would be fine with ads, as long as they aren't overly intrusive and it ensures the site stays running and stable. I might even be interested in a sub service that lets you access the site ad free and a badge or rank or something to go with it.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the ads are properly curated I have no issues having them here. Browsing GAF on mobile was a fucking nightmare at times with ads that redirected you directly to adware and malware websites and opened google play store pages, and the administration there did nothing to fix this.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am all for non-intrusive ads. No roll-downs, no audio, etc. The website has to pay for itself somehow.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
My take on this why not do banner Ads like GAF did and also offer an Ad Free yearly subscription for those users who wish to be rid of the ads? I'm grateful that the site currently has no ads but I'm more concerned with the financial longevity of the site without ad support.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt mind having a banner or two as long as they are not intrusive.

I would love animated avatars though ^_^.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Never bothered me in gaf, won't bother me here either. I just hope mobile users aren't shafted by bugs.

Radio

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a donation option, please don't make it public who's paying and who isn't. People can be obnoxious enough with "Members" and "New Members" (which I agree is useful for moderating), but let's not divide ourselves more than is necessary.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather just see them take donations and the donations get you something extra, a little heart next to your name or something else. They deserve to not lose money on server costs, and also deserve to make some for hard work.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I wouldn't mind a ResetEra Premium or Advertisements. I want this site to thrive and not collapse considering its currently being funded out of pocket.

The work these guys have done is incredible so I feel they deserve an award.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Ads or a Pateroen. It doesn't matter to me. I just want the site to make some money and I don't mind if some of it goes to the admins. They deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. I'm cool with it as long as they don't become loud and braggadocio about their fortune and how cool they are (something that I'm positive won't happen considering what brought us here).

Last edited:

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
I'm gonna keep it real, there's like a 90% chance I'm gonna be using an adblocker at all times.

That being said, I would definitely be interested in some kind of PLATINUM ERA membership to support the site.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Animated avatars only on mouseover like how Discord does them, and then I support them.

Hatebringer

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like ads but I also understand the extreme costs of running a popular website/forum. I'm completely open to non-intrusive ads but I also know that it's a lot easier said than done. One thing I can definitely agree on is some sort of reasonably priced annual membership or just a public donation system with a cap just to cover costs.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'd personally ideally want the site to be patreon-funded (or with a patreon-like recurring donation scheme), if possible.

But it's of course something for the admins to decide.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd be fine with ads as long as the revenue went back into the site in someone and not just to fund trips around the world for a single person. I'd also be fine with those ads if they weren't obtrusive. I plan on keeping adblock off on this site regardless of whether or not they do add ads.

Yea, I'd be happy with ads or paying. But if there is a ton of excess funding coming in, it would be great to see some of it go to the mods or admins that work on the site.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with ads so long as they aren't intrusive or don't pass malware through

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem at all with ads as long as the website doesn't get riddled with auto-redirects and JavaScript, and as long as the ads aren't carefully placed so that you'll click them by accident several times a day on mobile.

I'm happy to deactivate Adblock if that contributes to a website that I love being a part of, just don't be scummy.

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
I already whitelisted this board on my adblocker. Server bills need to be payed, so i am ok with ads, as long as they are not too distracting and inrrusive!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as some ads contain malware and the like, I'd rather there be an option to donate to the site than having ads. I appreciate not everyone will want to donate or will be able to afford to, but I'm also sure there are enough users who can afford to throw $50-$100 at the site every so often.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Just setup a Patreon or a PayPal donation. I'll donate 10 happily every month.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
However the team decides to do it, they need to monetize fast. I'm fine with ads like on GAF, or a one-time fee like SomethingAwful. Or Patreon, sure, why not, as long as no necessary content is locked behind reward tiers.

Like Tobor, I don't want animated avatars either. Tiring/distracting to look at. Lessens the reading experience.

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
1. Donations
2. Custom ads (eg indie game promos as on isthereanydeal)
3. Banner ads
4. Banner ads with option to pay and remove them

No animated avatars, no paid threads, no pop up ads, no locked features.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd pay to disable ads, whether just for myself or chipping in for the community as a whole. I would not want any visible-to-others denotation of this, though.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will confess, I used adblock in the old place, but I already turned it off here in anticipation for ads.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I think I'm over animated GIF avatars. Unless they're optional, I say just keep them static. No signature of course even though there's an option, but it's 2017, you don't need a signature. I'm all for ads as long as we can keep them under control. There were a lot of ads on the other place that would hijack the tab a lot, redirect you, scroll the page without your permission, they got out of hand all the time. It can't be that hard to keep these companies in check. Surely there's an ad provider who screens their ads first. Looks through the code. Makes sure they're just an image with some animation and no funny JavaScript shit. (Also no Flash. I don't even have it enabled on my browser and very rarely ever find a situation where I need it. Thank you, Steve Jobs.)

If you do ads, try and fit it up in the spot between the logo and search box. I don't want to add to much more vertical space up there. The bottom one can do whatever it wants really.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta pay the bills somehow. I'm fine with anything as long as there is no sound/audio involved.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally ideally want the site to be patreon-funded (or with a patreon-like recurring donation scheme), if possible.

But it's of course something for the admins to decide.
Perhaps it might be best to at least try Patreon first to see if they can cover the costs. If not, then put up banner ads.

Simply Sarah

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm going to be contrary to most of the rest of the thread. I think ads are a bad idea and should be avoided if at all possible. There's just no way to limit things to unintrusive, non-malicious ads and from a personal security standpoint it's a bad idea to browse without adblocking (this includes no whitelisting). The ad hosts just don't have enough control over what gets put up to prevent all dangerous ads from getting through initially. Sure, you can stop them after the fact but by that point damage can already have been done. As such, you can't actually trust any site because they don't have full control over what appears. On top of that, web ad revenue continues to drop as more people ad block.

Ideally this would be community funded by donations, trinket memberships, and/or whatever. I'd certainly be in for that. Of course, it's entirely possible this isn't viable to meet expenses, in which case other solutions would need to be considered.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I'm totally cool with this site having non-intrusive ads. I'm enjoying it so far and if it pays for site maintenance, I'm cool with it.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
One advantage of Ads over Patreon is that the many eyeballs that use this forum as news aggregate will contribute to the revenue, instead of just existing users.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the ads are non-intrusive, I'm fine with them. The site that shall not be named was pretty good with handling ads and making sure stuff with pop-ups and noise didn't last long.

I want to support the site too, so any way for it to make money is good in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.