• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
In an interview with Xbox's Corporate Vice President, Mike Ybarra, we finally got the chance to ask exactly what happened in the last two years since the Xbox One X's unveiling, and what Microsoft has planned for VR on consoles in the future. Ybarra's answer? In short, it's just not that easy.

"For us, we're going to continue to invest on the Windows side where people are engaging. Our MR devices work with Steam games now - I love what's happening there - and in the living room there are still, in my opinion, challenges to be solved. But we're looking at that and we're listening to customers and fans, but our investment profile will remain on Windows for now."

When asked for any details about who Microsoft might be talking with to bring VR to its consoles, Ybarra said that he couldn't comment on that at this time. At no point was there an outright no to VR on consoles - but it's likely that it will still be some time before Microsoft is ready to bring any of its MR devices (or VR devices for that matter) into the living room.

https://www.techradar.com/news/what-happened-to-vr-on-xbox-one-x-we-tried-to-find-out

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I think it's simply VR as a market hasn't super taken off, and unless they go all-in and start funding VR games and moneyhatting exclusives, it'll just reflect poorly in the minds and hearts of players--"MS can't compete with PSVR, look how few exclusives they have!"

And I sort of agree with Phil in that he doesn't seem to think it's ready yet for the broad consumer masses. While I enjoy my HMD Odyssey, there aren't very many games or experiences that justify putting on the headset for me, much less pay $20+ for something that only lasts two hours. I think his idea is that once it gets truly wireless, the market will have matured enough that either they will be able to jump in with zero worry, or it'll faltered in a way that nobody will blame them for skipping out.

Yeah. I think the slow state of VR has only re-enforced he was right. Really love my Vive (now that I've settled into the things I actually like in VR... which is probably outside the norms a bit). But I've always completely agreed with his stance on wireless. It's such a buzz-kill. I get so much more immersion/presence from seated games simply because I hate the cable with a white hot burning passion. There are well known presence multipliers in VR, well wires should create a term called presence divider. Because as far as I'm concerned, it reduces presence by such a dramatic degree that it's crazy.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I think MS are omitting a significant reason/obstacle but they know it internally: even if the One X supported WMR, it doesn't have a big enough installed base to make VR software sales thrive. They shouldn't even consider supporting VR until they have a 20M console installed base. So in 4-5 years the stars should align with wireless VR being mainstream ready and MS's next-gen installed base being 20M strong.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like SteamVR is integrated into WMR now (in beta). No more using the desktop app.

Someone made a good video:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The Acer OJO 500 Windows Mixed Reality Headset.

$399. November. US/EU.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/29/...d-reality-headset-features-price-release-date

t33nOzp.jpg

XgjN8Yw.jpg

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just heard that Odyssey + has just passed China C3 certification, indicating that it will be launching there too

OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't kept this really up to date, so here's a bunch of info on the HMD Odyssey+, which is an update Samsung's making for the HMD Odyssey. Biggest change (outside of some minor hardware changes like different padding and nose pad shape) is that they're now using some sort of filter on the screen to diffuse light into the area between pixels. Short and long of it is that it'll blur the image a little, but completely eliminate the SDE (screen door effect). Here are some impressions and pictures:

Top is Odyssey+ and bottom is original Odyssey. User who posted this said that the decreased vibrancy isn't something to worry about; it's only noticeable when comparing the two headsets back to back, otherwise the Odyssey+ looks plenty vibrant, and even then this picture isn't a true representation of color saturation, just the SDE differences.

This is the main point of the headset. Is it screen door free, yes. The detail resolve in Robo Recall is very very good. No other headset at the moment can compared to it, it is simply the best looking image that you can achieve besides the new Pimax.

Technique used is not intrusive, which essentially is that Samsung implemented a layer over the display to diffuse the pixels so we dont see the black between pixels. The implementation is very good, so kudos to Samsung for taking the initiative to find a solution without having to make every user to upgrade their GPU's
Yes, now that SDE is not an issue, we can clearly see in what area the visuals can improve. More active pixels. Although you can't see distracting pixels in far away object, more pixels can help clean up the detail resolve. This is the inheritance of needing higher density displays.

Now when I see Robots flying very high on the sky towards me, they do not look pixelated. It sort of look like the graphics of a old PS3 or Xbox 360
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/9s1ihi/samsung_odyssey_initial_test_impression_with_robo/

Some more pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/6nD2nwX

Official PR: https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-hmd-odyssey-plus-mr-mixed-reality/

It's $500 like the last HMD and is available in a bunch of different markets already, including the US. No word on EU support.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't kept this really up to date, so here's a bunch of info on the HMD Odyssey+, which is an update Samsung's making for the HMD Odyssey. Biggest change (outside of some minor hardware changes like different padding and nose pad shape) is that they're now using some sort of filter on the screen to diffuse light into the area between pixels. Short and long of it is that it'll blur the image a little, but completely eliminate the SDE (screen door effect). Here are some impressions and pictures:

Top is Odyssey+ and bottom is original Odyssey. User who posted this said that the decreased vibrancy isn't something to worry about; it's only noticeable when comparing the two headsets back to back, otherwise the Odyssey+ looks plenty vibrant, and even then this picture isn't a true representation of color saturation, just the SDE differences.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/9s1ihi/samsung_odyssey_initial_test_impression_with_robo/

Official PR: https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-hmd-odyssey-plus-mr-mixed-reality/

It's $500 like the last HMD and is available in a bunch of different markets already, including the US. No word on EU support.
Damn that looks great!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Lenovo Explorer for 199 coins ... yay or nay?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Really want to give this a go, wish there was a Microsoft store near me.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It was the one I got. Price is low enough to not get irritated because I don't use it very often. It works. I find it comfortable. I do need to wear my glasses when I use it (didn't expect that)
I've pulled the trigger after doing some research and actually got the headset already. Spend 2-3 hours messing around with it. I'm shocked how seamless, plug and play Windows Mixed Reality is. I just connected the headset, Win10 already started installing the software while I emerged from under the desk, hooks right into Steam VR, BAM, DONE, no BS. Played Redout, can't go back to 2D now. WMR might not be the best VR solution, but it's amazingly convenient and quick to get going.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've pulled the trigger after doing some research and actually got the headset already. Spend 2-3 hours messing around with it. I'm shocked how seamless, plug and play Windows Mixed Reality is. I just connected the headset, Win10 already started installing the software while I emerged from under the desk, hooks right into Steam VR, BAM, DONE, no BS. Played Redout, can't go back to 2D now. WMR might not be the best VR solution, but it's amazingly convenient and quick to get going.

Yah. Its the most plug and play high end VR solution among all platforms and hardwares

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
For the sets without headphones, is it absolutely necessary to plug headphones into the head set or can it be plugged into the PC?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
For the sets without headphones, is it absolutely necessary to plug headphones into the head set or can it be plugged into the PC?
You don't have to plug the headphones into the headset. The headset audio is just another USB soundcard. You can freely route the audio how you see fit with the Win10 audio systemtray thingy. WMR got an option to auto route audio to the headset upon headphone insertion, but even that can be toggled on/off in the Win10 settings.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to plug the headphones into the headset. The headset audio is just another USB soundcard. You can freely route the audio how you see fit with the Win10 audio systemtray thingy. WMR got an option to auto route audio to the headset upon headphone insertion, but even that can be toggled on/off in the Win10 settings.
Ah, got it. Hopefully my headphones will fit over Lenovos.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Windows Mixed Reality in Windows 10 19H1

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to put this out there. I'm a fairly large VR user - have the PSVR, Vive and Rift. PSVR has recently been my go-to for the ease of use and quality of games (Astrobot etc etc).

However just has some spare cash and bought the Samsung Odyssey plus. Very impressive - lightweight, comfortable and much sharper image than the 1st gen Vive.

I have tried the Vive Pro but wasn't that impressed - this is much cheaper than that and the inside out tracking worked a lot better than I thought - I'd assumed lighthouses were a must for VR, but am sold on the newer approach.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
None of my PCs or laptops are powerful enough for WMR. My Xbox One X is, but Phil Spencer removed WMR from it right before launch for "reasons". I *really* hope WMR is available on the next Xbox. I just can't justify a new PC or laptop just for VR. Gahhhhh.

WMR Minecraft looks SO cool. Have they fixed the movement? That was the big complaint when it first came out.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a general PC VR OT anywhere? I searched, but can't find anything.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a general PC VR OT anywhere? I searched, but can't find anything.
www.resetera.com

PCVR Game Discussion Thread - A New Era of Gaming

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR Hardware thread or the Oculus thread. This is a thread for PCVR users to discuss VR games available on all the compatible platforms (Steam/Oculus/Windows). In the previous incarnation of the thread I tried making a...

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
www.resetera.com

PCVR Game Discussion Thread - A New Era of Gaming

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR Hardware thread or the Oculus thread. This is a thread for PCVR users to discuss VR games available on all the compatible platforms (Steam/Oculus/Windows). In the previous incarnation of the thread I tried making a...

Thanks! I think I was searching for "VR |OT|" which is why it didn't find that.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing it, or are there no links in that article? Would have loved to have seen the actual patent (since it must have been a patent for something).

Strange article. I do think I like the pictures (assuming it's anything more than a generic patent mockup). It seems like they returned to a hinge design? And it seems like there's vents on the front? Not sure why this isn't a thing. I don't see why you can't have the actual screens sealed for dust, but still have vents for all the electronics to breathe.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

More interesting pictures there (and text if you know Korean).

Reddit is speculating it's using Lighthouse, but I see zero proof at all. Really looks like there's 2 forward facing cameras and then two cameras that look left/right. This would align with the 4 camera MWR revision that's been rumored.

If they're implementing their curved OLED patent (for a higher FOV), they could have a real niche with this. The Vive Pro/Samsung Odysessy/Oculus Quest OLED screens are a couple years old. So it's reasonable to think there could be a resolution/refresh rate bump coming at some point.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
O+ seems to be out of stock everywhere except the official Samsung website and they're selling it for 229.99. They have to be clearancing out the old stock.

If they're genuinely close to unveiling the new model (why else get rid of all the stock with this pricing of late), I'm surprised MS didn't just let them unveil things at CES.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My roommate gave me his old Lenovo Explorer today since he replaced it with the Samsung Odyssey a while back. The Explorer itself is really nice-- I know the FOV is more limited than something like the Odyssey, but the unit is so much more comfortable for long sessions.

That said, the controllers are kind of... eh. I flat-out hate the touchpads, and I wish there were more buttons. Playing something like VRChat with these controllers is really annoying.

What are my options for getting different controllers? I think the Index controllers would work if I were to get the base stations for them, but that's out of my price range for a while. Are there any other alternatives folks suggest?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My roommate gave me his old Lenovo Explorer today since he replaced it with the Samsung Odyssey a while back. The Explorer itself is really nice-- I know the FOV is more limited than something like the Odyssey, but the unit is so much more comfortable for long sessions.

That said, the controllers are kind of... eh. I flat-out hate the touchpads, and I wish there were more buttons. Playing something like VRChat with these controllers is really annoying.

What are my options for getting different controllers? I think the Index controllers would work if I were to get the base stations for them, but that's out of my price range for a while. Are there any other alternatives folks suggest?

Cheapest option would be to hope the new WMR2 controllers are backwords compatible and you can buy those. There doesn't appear to be any reason they shouldn't be. They're Touch knockoffs and get rid of the dumb trackpad for the Touch layout.

www.resetera.com

Next Gen HP VR Headset ( Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft)

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/ Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft, the next gen HP VR headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable and compatible experience than the previous...

We're beyond confirmed at this point. The HP tweet matches perfectly with the leaked photo that exposed the WMR2 controllers. The only question at this point is whether WMR2 NDAs will expire before HP unveils all the G2 info in 46 hours. Could be more headsets waiting for an NDA to expire.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Cheapest option would be to hope the new WMR2 controllers are backwords compatible and you can buy those. There doesn't appear to be any reason they shouldn't be. They're Touch knockoffs and get rid of the dumb trackpad for the Touch layout.

www.resetera.com

Next Gen HP VR Headset ( Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft)

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/ Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft, the next gen HP VR headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable and compatible experience than the previous...

We're beyond confirmed at this point. The HP tweet matches perfectly with the leaked photo that exposed the WMR2 controllers. The only question at this point is whether WMR2 NDAs will expire before HP unveils all the G2 info in 46 hours. Could be more headsets waiting for an NDA to expire.
I hadn't seen this, thanks for linking to it. I hope those controllers are sold separately and work with the older WMR headsets. They look a lot better than the current ones.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't seen this, thanks for linking to it. I hope those controllers are sold separately and work with the older WMR headsets. They look a lot better than the current ones.

In the HP interview with Sebastian, HP confirmed they will be backwards compatible with all WMR Gen 1 HMDs and HP will be selling the controllers separately for people who want to upgrade.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
In the HP interview with Sebastian, HP confirmed they will be backwards compatible with all WMR Gen 1 HMDs and HP will be selling the controllers separately for people who want to upgrade.
Absolutely perfect. Thanks a lot for pointing this out. I'll probably end up buying a pair.