Votes: 367 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,947 84.1%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
WIRED

mod edit: added link directly to Wired article

The PlayStation 5 reboot, like Shadow of the Colossus before it, loses the visual language of the original, undoing its magic.

Demon's Souls, like Shadow of the Colossus before it, breaks down the visual language of a classic to achieve little in return. Because, ultimately, video game realism doesn't even look like the real world. In reality, sometimes the light is too bright. Sometimes, the clouds diffuse light and you can't ever figure out where it's coming from. Sometimes overgrowth twists into bizarre patterns or dies too early. Sometimes reality is magical; often, it's surreal. The evolving aesthetic of video game realism, instead of looking like reality, just ends up looking like other video games. And after decades of gameplay, that is unbearably boring.

What do y'all think? Has Demon's Souls lost its original aesthetics or do you prefer the new visuals?

Last edited by a moderator:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe now people are defending 2008 era bloom.

Literally the meme of that whole generation.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
And Wired tries too hard to have article even when they have nothing interesting to say.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside the obvious upgrade in technical fidelity, I thought the Colossus remake was a massive step down as far as art design is concerned. Demon's looks okay, barring some occasional sanitized creature designs and boring UI.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Wired tries too hard to make sense. Defending piss filters and bloom as wonderful aesthetic choices .. just nah...

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty strange to have an article like this without comparison pictures or videos.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Demon's Souls person so it's hard to have an opinion of the changes outside of just thinking the PS5 game looks gorgeous.

But I cannot possibly agree with the Shadow of the Colossus comments. It's an upgrade.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly kind of agree - Bluepoint's idea of art design is surprisingly unimaginative and, at least as monsters are concerned every single redesign they attempted to do is for the worse.

The Man Centipede enemies from Latria were originally these weird skittering statue demons with the exact same head as the Maneater, drawing some kind of weird connection between the two monsters - are they the same entity? do man centipedes evolve into maneaters eventually? who knows - whereas in the remake, Man Centipedes are just twisted chunks of misshapen flesh and the Maneater is literally just a dude with wings.

It feels like a team that either A) doesn't respect the original art design or B) doesn't think it can do it justice in a remake, and both of those are problems.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That's quite the article to complain about a game being remade and not remastered.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks leagues better than the original, both technically and artistically. They nailed it.

The article writer just seems to be viewing PS3 era's over usage of bloom and brown filter with rose tinted glasses. I say I'm glad that period of video games is over and done with, and I never want it to return.

Oct 27, 2017
This might be controversial, but I feel like while Bluepoint is good at making very graphically stunning games, those graphical improvements tend to hide the fact that the art directions take somewhat of a hit. This hit was way more jarring and apparent in SOTC (although it was primarily with Wander that it was noticeable)

Bypassing the paywall.
Wired doesn't have a paywall

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who believes that Bluepoint ruined the atmosphere and what SOTC was trying to tell visually, they have done a much better job with Demon's.

That said, why take away the ragdoll bodies? :P

I don't know if it's just me but I don't want games to be more visually impressive if that means they also have to be more static.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
When I play Demons Souls on ps5 it looks exactly like how it looked on ps3 in my memory. The devs did a great job.

Oct 27, 2017
That part about the vanguard haha

Don't tell them it was copy pasted from another game:
zr5fjaoyn6m51.jpg

Only issue I have with the remake is the music.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
What a nonsense article. Quick, what stupid hot take can we come up with that will piss people off and get some clicks....

May 19, 2020
Some of the redesigns are basically from a Blizzard game and don't capture even a flicker of the original artistic intent. The fat official is now just some gross moblin from Tristram.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Looked off from the beginning compared to the original, but I'm fine with it since it's a remake by a different company.

I'll never forgive them messing up Maiden Astraea's theme though, bad bluepoint.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
🙄I love Demons to fkn death but it looks like ass on PS3 and never was a visual darling. How can people miss the piss filter!?

As someone who believes that Bluepoint ruined the atmosphere and what SOTC was trying to tell visually, they have done a much better job with Demon's.

That said, why take away the ragdoll bodies? :P

I don't know if it's just me but I don't want games to be more visually impressive if that means they also have to be more static.
They didn't take it away it still runs on Havok. Think they just toned it down some..

May 26, 2018
Visually it's... okay (not technical visual quality.) It's not like Shadow of the Colossus where design looked a bit too "common open world." But that's just what you're going to get when someone else is in charge. Different aesthetic taste and artistic expression. Such things should be mysteries to nobody!

Deleted member 27647

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Strongly agree. The remake has much more fidelity, but it has lost so much character from the original game. Everything except for world 5 looks like it could've come from an Elder Scrolls game.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
While I think the Bluepoint games look stunning, I wish they adopted more of the mentality of going back to the original creators to replicate character/ creature designs. Like using the concept art as a reference point vs in game models. Or reaching out to the OG concept guys and having them do the updated versions at least.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Haha that quote. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I'm entitled to laugh at them.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I agree with Wired. The technical limitations and graphical shortcomings of their time in some games (like bloom, short drawing distance or fog) somehow can't show things thus make it up to the players to imagine these unclear portions of the world in the game themselves, and thus make it a lot more magical instead of a remake in which everything is shown graphically and technically in the world like the worlds in all those other games. Gone is the imagination and magic.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
its an opinion

they killed the atmosphere in some aspects
in others they improved greatly

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
The PS3/360 gen were notoriously known for having a brown and grey color palette on almost every game that came out. Because back then that's what made games more "realistic." Now that it isn't anymore, we want it back? Lol, I guess we don't need HDR since we don't want color in our games.... 🙄

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol. Yeah, the visuals are just too damn realistic. Damn you blue point. Damn you to hell!

But no. Honestly I feel like its what FROM games would actually look like if they had the time/money/technical talent. I mean, let's face it. FROM are still pretty mid-tier developers are far as visuals are concerned...they have great art of course, but there is still an awful lot of improvements to be made from a technical standpoint, even in some of their most recent releases.

I think if FROM could make their games look as good as blue point has managed to make demon's souls look. They totally would! But I'm sure in an ideal world there games wouldn't have tanking framerates and framepacing issues either. But nostalgia is a bitch I guess *shrugs*

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this: the mockery around piss filters and bloom feels misplaced. It was an overdone trend, but that doesn't mean that literally every application of it was bad by default. Every single generation of games had overdone trends that crept into the absurd (parallax scrolling, mode 7/scaling/rotation, colored lighting, bloom, etc. Just look at how many early PS4/XBO games relied on wet pavement and showers of particles!) but those still form part of those games' visual identities. There were games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Resident Evil 5 that were clearly made with overly warm color grading ("piss filters") in mind and look haphazard with it removed.

(Also: mark my words that in 10 years there will absolutely be "retro" games with overdone bloom, aggressive color grading and faux-camera filters, and Plasticine character models. People will love it. You're going to read this and say, "no way, that visual style has aged so badly!", but that's 100% what people said in the mid-2000s about the possibility of retro nostalgia games that emulated early 3D.)