Do you agree with WIRED?

• Yes

Votes: 367 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,947 84.1%

• Total voters

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
TIL that moving realistically in armour is unrealistic, and that vegetation growing through decaying architecture, which every Soulsborne game already has tons of, is a "westernized convention"...

Thank you! šŸ˜Š

This is the fluted armor (female, or "body type A", version) chest piece. It's the knight starting gear, but it's also obtainable early for other classes (3-1 level, aka Tower of Latria).

The gloves and pants are mixed light armor. I think the fluted armour looks better on body type A, despite the body type B version being more "iconic".
I knew I should of picked Body type A! That looks better than the more 'iconic version' for me.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that moving realistically in armour is unrealistic, and that vegetation growing through decaying architecture, which every Soulsborne game already has tons of, is a "westernized convention"...

Yup, this is the issue. I wouldn't have a problem with half the criticism if it didn't come across as completely assinine.

Gotta wonder if people actually read what they type before hitting post. It's okay to admit that you just arbitrarily dislike the remake because it's not made by FROM. Just don't come up with nonsense arguments to try and justify it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overgrown vegetation is a western trope lol that's so absurd it is amusing.

Like have you even seen dark souls

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
If games hadn't been remade people would be nostalgic and defend the originals. Since there are remakes often times people forsake the originals to defend the new hotness. Happens on all platforms. Both are fine. Both can be great in their own way.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a handful of the enemy designs are less interesting than before but the amount of whining I saw about it was ridiculous. Yes, the fat official looks worse. Not that much worse, but worse, as do, I guess, a few others. Why care so much? Given the reaction you'd think a few enemies contained the soul of the game or something.

Last edited:

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yup, this is the issue. I wouldn't have a problem with half the criticism if it didn't come across as completely assinine.

Gotta wonder if people actually read what they type before hitting post. It's okay to admit that you just arbitrarily dislike the remake because it's not made by FROM. Just don't come up with nonsense arguments to try and justify it.
For real people whinging about westernization almost make me too embarrassed to make my own case lol

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

This is my problem.

It's fine not to like the changes made.

But so many of the reasons literally come across as unreasonable.

How long until we get someone unironically saying: "A souls game would never have Gothic Architecture, that's westernizing!"

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a sense (character design changes aside, I agree those aren't great), the aesthetic changes people long for from the PS3 is simply nostalgia for the tech from the time. The clunky lighting and murky tech give the game a certain atmosphere, just like how the low-tech grit of Silent Hill 1 adds to the horror element, or a game like "D". It's the same way I miss the "character" the low-tech CG from Tekken 1/2/3 gave the cinematics. It's a vibe that today's tech simply can't reclaim.

Crosspost from the OT
The new one looks "too clean"?!

TWhtaeR.jpg

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I think sotc remake definitely lost some of its atmosphere but demon souls besides some character redesign looks a lot better.

If Ds3 was made by someone else besides from people have said they butchered the atmosphere of Ds series

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A picture is worth a thousand words. How much is a clip worth then...

Good god, what a beautiful game, esp. at a time when the generation was littered with titles with grey and brown colour palette. I ordered the title from Japan late last year in the hopes that PS5 would be BC w/ PS3... FML.
Hah, this game is awesome. Great use of the Sixaxis too, honestly. Playing Astrobot kinda reminds me of how Folklore managed to implement motion to great effect.

OT, awful take.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a sense (character design changes aside, I agree those aren't great), the aesthetic changes people long for from the PS3 is simply nostalgia for the tech from the time. The clunky lighting and murky tech give the game a certain atmosphere, just like how the low-tech grit of Silent Hill 1 adds to the horror element, or a game like "D". It's the same way I miss the "character" the low-tech CG from Tekken 1/2/3 gave the cinematics. It's a vibe that today's tech simply can't reclaim.

You have modern games replicating PS1 graphics up to the warping.

Is not that that in can't be replicated or that tech can't explore non-realistic rendering techniques, is just that the industry at large is not interested in doing so.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any opinion on Demon's Souls, but I have plenty on Shadow, so I get how Demon's Souls fans feel. Ultimately, I came away from the Shadow remake enjoying Bluepoint's take on the game, but I do think it's important to recognize that it is a different take. Despite the game being mechanically the same, the changes in art direction are significant. I don't think the new one is bad, but I do prefer the old one. My bigger problem here is not with Bluepoint but with Sony. Sony's lack of investment in backwards compatibility for anything earlier than the PS4 means that going forward people are only going to know Bluepoint's Shadow as the Shadow of the Colossus. It bums me out that people will come think of that one as the default version. But ultimately we just have to realized that companies will never be as invested in preserving their history to the same extent that fans are, and I've come to peace with the fact that people who really want to play the old versions of Shadow will find ways either through old hardware or emulation. We shouldn't look to company's like Sony to care about preserving the history of the artform because they have no interest in doing so except to the level that it helps them sell you your nostalgia. Really caring about these sorts of differences and how they affect the work will only ever be a thing for the highly dedicated, and I'm okay with that. However, I still don't think that means we should look at these remakes as automatically being "better" just because they're in 4K. Some will be better. Some will be worse. All of them will be substantively different from their originals.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I guess a handful of the enemy designs are less interesting than before but the amount of whining I saw about it was ridiculous. Yes, the fat official looks worse. Not that much worse, but worse, as do, I guess, a few others. Why care so much? Given the reaction you'd think a few enemies contained the soul of the game or something.

King Allant looks like some dude. The Nexus is so teal and orange. The Manta Ray boss looks like some WoW thing. It doesn't have the look of a bizarre creature, it looks like a cartoon.

The designs just aren't as good. And that design is all over the place.

I know it plays well. I don't think it looks as good though technically looking impressive.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more than fine to have a preference for one or the other, considering they are reasonably different for whatever technical, artistical or design reasons, but I don't get the immediate derision of the first pages. Most of the points made are fair whether you agree or not. I don't care about this forum when it gets all weirdly defensive and smugly this-isnt-it-chief about a game it likes.

Oct 26, 2017
Have yet to play the remake, but it's undeniable that the changes that were made took DeSR in a different aesthetic direction. The way we interpret the essence of something comes down to our individual perception of course, but I think there are enough people expressing their disapproval of these changes to objectively state that something was lost in the process.

I can't help but think of cases were remakes were warmly welcomed instead. From a pure character design perspective, I remember Cloud's Smash Bros incarnation being almost universally lauded as being extremely faithful, despite the obvious jump in technology.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
King Allant looks like some dude. The Nexus is so teal and orange. The Manta Ray boss looks like some WoW thing. It doesn't have the look of a bizarre creature, it looks like a cartoon.

The designs just aren't as good. And that design is all over the place.

I know it plays well. I don't think it looks as good though technically looking impressive.

Wait, what? King Allant looks basically identical, only with perhaps a slightly different head shape. The Nexus was literally orange and dull gray and brown in the original and this one keeps a similar aesthetic but adds a little more ethereal colour / quality to it. The Storm King looks nearly identical. Like, are you saying the remakes designs "just aren't as good"? Cause if you are, you must really dislike the original. Like, you guys are trying waaaaay to hard to find something here. This is ridiculous.

Like, these criticisms are just absolutely bizarre. You're either not looking at pictures or your brain is really misremembering the original appearance of King Allant or the Storm King.

If you're gonna criticize the designs, criticize the original designs and not the remake. The remake, especially for the three things, are some of the most similar in the entire game.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017

The new one looks "too clean"?!

TWhtaeR.jpg

The remake is clearly too clean. It doesn't have the same dirty atmosphere at the original. There is too much colour in the new one. /s

Look at the original game. Now THAT looks like a guy who is in heavy armour for sure. The remake looks like he's standing around with cloth instead of heavy armour. /s

EDIT: Oooooops, double post. Shoot me...

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Wait, what? King Allant looks basically identical, only with perhaps a slightly different head shape. The Nexus was literally orange and dull gray and brown in the original and this one keeps a similar aesthetic but adds a little more ethereal colour / quality to it. The Storm King looks nearly identical. Like, are you saying the remakes designs "just aren't as good"? Cause if you are, you must really dislike the original. Like, you guys are trying waaaaay to hard to find something here. This is ridiculous.

Like, these criticisms are just absolutely bizarre. You're either not looking at pictures or your brain is really misremembering the original appearance of King Allant or the Storm King.

If you're gonna criticize the designs, criticize the original designs and not the remake. The remake, especially for the three things, are some of the most similar in the entire game.

No. The thing is, you prefer the new designs so you can't see why they're worse.

The new style is more reminiscent of modern color design. The enemies look more cartoonish in the enemy designs, and even the player and armor just look 'cooler'. It's a style, and it's just not preferable for me. Also, that enormous chested Maiden with 80s rock hair. Come on. These aren't the original designs, which just aren't as loud and 'cool'.

Stop making excuses for why opinions other than yours are wrong. The original has a style, the new one has a different style. That's how it is. And I prefer the original.

Allant looks completely different. He's not gaunt and frightening. He looks like Colonel Sanders.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
No. The thing is, you prefer the new designs so you can't see why they're worse.

The new style is more reminiscent of modern color design. The enemies look more cartoonish in the enemy designs, and even the player and armor just look 'cooler'. It's a style, and it's just not preferable for me. Also, that enormous chested Maiden with 80s rock hair. Come on. These aren't the original designs, which just aren't as loud and 'cool'.

Stop making excuses for why opinions other than yours are wrong. The original has a style, the new one has a different style. That's how it is. And I prefer the original.

Allant looks completely different. He's not gaunt and frightening. He looks like Colonel Sanders.

No, I'm not preferring one design or the other. I haven't actually even expressed my opinion on the designs so you have no place to tell me what my opinion is or is not. I'm simply looking at those specific examples and seeing them all side by side. Look more cartoonish? I've heard it all now. So Wired is saying more realistic and now you're saying more cartoonish. At least pick a critique and stick with it if you're gonna constantly shit in the art design.

Maiden with an enormous chest and 80's rock hair? What?? Again, she looks nearly identical. At least pick better designs to complain about than ones that are basically identical.

I've also never said your opinion was wrong and mine was right. You're just getting overly and dramatically defensive because your examples just don't really make sense. It's not about one style or the other. The examples you used are just not good examples because those specific examples are so close to each from the original to the remake...

Again, go look at King Alliant again and then looks at Colonel Sanders. Not even close, haha. What an odd comparison.