Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Only the obvious, why would a studio who offloaded a job take it into their own hands, even the tone of the press release is fairly clear

Especially a studio who has a massive slate like CD project

They couldn't get it done for one reason or another and now CDPR are picking up the slack
The assumption that this decision was made because of poor performance seems more of a stretch than assuming the work was pulled away as a response to Russian aggression. This seems to be them severing financial ties with companies within Russia, just as countless other companies are doing, including Visa, Mastercard, etc, while sanctions are imposing restrictions on banks.

Feb 16, 2022
They never specified required you needed to own DLC to be entitled to the next-gen update. Not even in the press release in every article that has covered the news for the update from various major gaming publication / news outlets. If it required DLC to claim ownership, as much folks want to be skeptical with every current PR statement from CDPR, I doubt they would have glossed over the fact if such a prerequisite was required.

Issues with Cyberpunk aside. Both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 also recieved extensive updates of their Enhanced Editions were entirely free to owners of the original game. If anything CDPR has been consistent with is giving free updates to their current games and DLC when they make plans to do so.
I do understand how silly it must seem. It's just... Nowadays specificity can be comforting. Hopefully you're right, though. Even if the GotY edition comes cheap every now and then, it'd suck to have to buy it again, especially for people who already owned the base game + season pass. The GotY version being separate from base+SP was a bit baffling to me back then.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Cool, CDPR severed ties with what is de jure American company to fuck with their Russian devs even tho there's a chance that they actually pay taxes in Murica. 10/10 grandmaster move. All to stop all of them orcs from making money.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Cool, CDPR severed ties with what is de jure American company to fuck with their Russian devs even tho there's a chance that they actually pay taxes in Murica. 10/10 grandmaster move. All to stop all of them orcs from making money.

A company pulling out relations as result of the current geopolitical situation of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, nevermind several other major companies doing so for similar reasons, and trying to frame it as some sort of "Gotcha" is certainly some sort of take.

The controversy with CDPR regarding CP2077 aside, this seems to come across as seeming non-self aware in joking or making light current situation with Ukraine. It just seems in poor taste.

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Only the obvious, why would a studio who offloaded a job take it into their own hands, even the tone of the press release is fairly clear

Especially a studio who has a massive slate like CD project

They couldn't get it done for one reason or another and now CDPR are picking up the slack

I am not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic with this statement...
You know that the studio section of Saber who was working on this project was station in Russia right? CDPR has stopped business with Russian customers by not selling their games or allow GOG sales.
Also this article came out last month mentioning this as well:
It is in Russian and provided in the Kotaku article posted eariler.
https://ixbt.games/news/2022/03/31/...a-razryva-s-rossiiskoi-saber-interactive.html

Saying they did a bad job considering the current situation seems... odd to say the least.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The controversy with CDPR regarding CP2077 aside, this seems to come across as seeming non-self aware in joking or making light current situation with Ukraine. It just seems in poor taste.
I didn't make any light of the situation in Ukraine. Sorry I don't find devs from here potentially losing their jobs because they were born in a "wrong" country to be a cause for celebration.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't make any light of the situation in Ukraine. Sorry I don't find devs from here potentially losing their jobs because they were born in a "wrong" country to be a cause for celebration.

CDPR is of course not doing this just to fuck with the devs, but between the sanctions and Russian counter sanctions, having a business relation with a dev team from Russia is most likely becoming extremely hard and complicated. It sucks for the devs that are innocent in all this, but there is only one party responsible for this and that is putin and the Russian government.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
CDPR is of course not doing this just to fuck with the devs, but between the sanctions and Russian counter sanctions, having a business relation with a dev team from Russia is most likely becoming extremely hard and complicated. It sucks for the devs that are innocent in all this, but there is only one party responsible for this and that is putin and the Russian government.
The question is, are they actually doing transactions with the Russian office or with Saber's HQ in the US? I might be wrong about this but things like that are usually handled by the accounting department in the HQ and then they transfer money to the workforce in the local offices.