• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I've been seeing a lot of people ask for Harry Potter in the WB crossover game. Those of you who do, I just have some recommended reading for all of you:

www.pinknews.co.uk

JK Rowling's 'transphobic attacks' are damaging LGBT+ rights in UK, warns report

JK Rowling and transphobic hate speech are reasons why the UK is sliding down the ILGA-Europe equality index, a new report says.

Rowling is the sole owner of the Harry Potter copyright. She gets royalties from everything having to do with the franchise.

Supporting Harry Potter is supporting Rowling.

Supporting Rowling is supporting Transphobia.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
She absolutely sucks and it's a damn shame such a magical world belongs to her. Love Harry Potter and Hogwarts Legacy looks like a dream come true, but her being such a POS makes it impossible for me to support it.

On topic though: HP characters are a guarantee to come to Multiversus. They'd be insane not to put the in

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Harry Potter was one of the leaks. So too late
From the leak that had inaccurate information about NRS being the developer. There were also other rumors that mentioned that Harry Potter had legal issues, so it could ultimately go either way.

Regardless, I hope MultiVersus avoids Harry Potter like the plague. Fuck J. K. Rowling.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Suffice it to say, Harry Potter is too popular of an IP and an easy money-maker to leave out so it's doubtful WB will exclude them.

With that said, fuck J.K Rowling!

Or I'd go with the following: She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, She-Who-I-Refuse-To-Name or She-Who-Is-Known-As-A-TERF.

If it's paid DLC, I'll certainly avoid buying anything associated with the IP.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Nintendo wanted to buy the Harry Potter license back before the movies happened. They sure dodged that bullet.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't see them NOT putting Potter characters in this. Its to big of a property.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We'd probably have had better games though
All things considered the EA games are fairly good. But yeah Nintendo going full zelda per HP book would have been something special, and they would 100% commit with the Wii. Also, Smash Bros.

At the same time, the Harry Potter game Niantic made is literally shutting down in two months because no one plays it.

Meanwhile that game that Harry Potter game that released in china is breaking revenue records there. The I.P. still prints money.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
JK is a piece of shit but there is absolutely no way Harry Potter isn't in this game, especially with Hogwarts Legacy releasing next year.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Would be nice if people could at least pretend to care; especially while that flag is up there in the corner of your screen.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you, OP. I hope there's no content owned by her at launch. I'll certainly avoid any post-launch content owned by her in the game.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
People actively asking for HP characters of all things was my daily reminder of how most Era users wear the whole civil rights / anti-bigotry thing as a fashion accessory with no actual engagement or effort on their part. It's fucking Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. :(

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I reckon people here will buy the Harry Potter game too
Yeah I'm already bracing for the shitshow that'll be, there's no way that'll go easy here with how many people here have ignored J.K.'s transphobia and how she's directly supporting anti-trans organizations and hatred.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People actively asking for HP characters of all things was my daily reminder of how most Era users wear the whole civil rights / anti-bigotry thing as a fashion accessory with no actual engagement or effort on their part. It's fucking Cyberpunk 2077 all over again. :(
And it's legitimately depressing.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Thank you. It's very disheartening when I see people, especially here, request Harry Potter while Rowling uses her influence to actively hurt trans people.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
luckily i never enjoyed HP as a child so I have no problem at all removing her work from my life. But the Hogwarts game is gonna be massive sadly

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what, do I burn my books as well? No thanks.

Obligatory fuck J. K. Rowling, but leave fictional characters out of it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

J.K. Rowling directly benefits from anything done with the IP. I know it sucks, but you have to accept that Harry Potter's very existence funds transphobia. Plus it's not like Harry Potter itself is squeaky clean of bigotry.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
You can like and engage with all things Harry Potter and still dislike and disagree with JK.

OP
OP
Lord Vatek

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
You can like and engage with all things Harry Potter and still dislike and disagree with JK.

"I don't like J.K. Rowling but I sure do like giving her money."

I'm not forcing you to do anything but you can't pretend that supporting the Harry Potter franchise isn't also supporting her directly.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to

Nobody said you couldnt. But we are also allowed to want Harry Potter to become irrelevant and not be included in an otherwise cool looking game. Because as an individual trans person, it is very much a deal breaker for me

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike and disagree with JK Rowling, I actively oppose what she is doing.

Game is going to sell very well, can't stop that, I won't be adding to it though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just put Robert Pattinson, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint directly into the roster without mentioning their HP characters

I mean, if Square can put Ariana Grande in Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, surely Multiversus can do something like that

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month) - Dismissing concerns across a series of posts.
J.K. Rowling directly benefits from anything done with the IP. I know it sucks, but you have to accept that Harry Potter's very existence funds transphobia. Plus it's not like Harry Potter itself is squeaky clean of bigotry.
As a person who talks classic and modern literature with young adults due to nature of my work... I have bad news.

You know what? Burn the books. Burn them all, go full on Fahrenheit.

-Reminding people J. K. Rowling went full on bonkers bad human is a-okay
-Telling people to not play/buy skins/feel bad about a fictional character feeding a billionaire, not okay... Why? Because then I have to tell a girl last week who sent a beautiful review of Azkaban that in fact this book that fueled her love for reading sucks... and thats far worse than your hypocricy

Like I said, be consistent, start burnin.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
To ignore how supporting the IP still benefits a hateful, damaging women with worryingly large influence is wilfully ignorant.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I thought JK Rowling wasn't gonna be receiving money or any credit/royalties from hogwarts legacy? I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I thought JK Rowling wasn't gonna be receiving money or any credit/royalties from hogwarts legacy? I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread
I'd want to see the receipts on that one. I think a lot of people are eager to do some serious mental gymnastics to make the idea of them buying a copy "okay".

OP
OP
Lord Vatek

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
She's not directly involved with the creation of the game (allegedly) but she is absolutely making money from it.

Any claims otherwise are most likely full of it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As a person who talks classic and modern literature with young adults due to nature of my work... I have bad news.

-Telling people to not play/buy skins/feel bad about a fictional character feeding a billionaire, not okay... Why? Because then I have to tell a girl last week who sent a beautiful review of Azkaban that in fact this book that fueled her love for reading sucks... and thats far worse than your hypocricy

Rowling is currently causing harm, she manages to do so much harm due to her massive platform which is largely sustained via continued interest in the IPs she created.

There is nothing hypocritical happening here. "All the books" do not have an author who is currently actively using their large platform to push very harmful and Insideous bigotry.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Warner would just pay her off to own HP, but she is already rich as fuck and it would make her less relevant.
So I fear she isn't selling any day soon, unfortunately.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I'd want to see the receipts on that one. I think a lot of people are eager to do some serious mental gymnastics to make the idea of them buying a copy "okay".

She's not directly involved with the creation of the game (allegedly) but she is absolutely making money from it.

Any claims otherwise are most likely full of it.

I just looked it up and for some reason I thought they cut ties with her completely, but yeah i guess that wouldn't;t make sense that she wouldn't receive royalties.

She's just not writing or producing it

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Oh please. Harry Potter fuelled the love of reading for many, myself included.

You know who else it probably fuelled the love of reading for? Countless trans individuals who the writer of the books is claiming shouldn't be treated as human beings. So save it.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rowling is currently causing harm, she manages to do so much harm due to her massive platform which is largely sustained via continued interest in the IPs she created.

There is nothing hypocritical happening here. "All the books" do not have an author who is currently actively using their large platform to push very harmful and Insideous bigotry.
While you're at it, smash your phone to the ground. Why are you actively supporting minors abuse and beyond minimal wages typing a post on a meaningless forum using that evil device? Just smash it. It's not worth it.

You can be selective, yes. Otherwise you'd go mad in this world.

Here are my choices regarding this situation.

-I won't play Potter
-I won't buy Potter skins
-I'll say fuck J. K. Rowling

-I'll definitely show this girl's excellent review of Azkaban to other students and congratulate her passion for reading
-I'll definitely mention Potter from time to time to show them how basic Hero's journey trope works
-I'll cherish my og books and have fond memories of those times

You can do a total opposite of me, and that's fine.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
"But kids love Harry Potter!!! It makes them want to read!"

I am an avid reader who absorbed countless books as a kid. I never once touched Harry Potter. Just show the kids better books without any bigotry in them written by people who aren't bigots LMAO.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"But kids love Harry Potter!!! It makes them want to read!"

I am an avid reader who absorbed countless books as a kid. I never once touched Harry Potter. Just show the kids better books without any bigotry in them written by people who aren't bigots LMAO.

'LMAO.'

Ever heard of curriculum?

Regarding Potter, I was reading the books as they were coming out. Google the years, check the numbers.