• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017

Its a spell that puts a zone on the ground that deals physical and curse damage to enemies, and leeches health back to you. It is quite overtuned and certainly one of the easiest easymode ways to get through the game. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I found that just ignoring enemies and constantly refreshing spell scrolls was taking away from my enjoyment of the game, so I discontinued use of it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this escaped me somehow, but watching that trailer, it looks terrific. I was ready for it to be a sorta Little Nightmares type affair with mostly stealth, but that combat looks deap. Enemy variety looks terrific as well. And sounds like it runs nice on the Deck, so that's me sold, will absolutely grab this. Thanks for the heads up OP!

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of tough enemies in this game can be tackled with consumables and status ailments. I can't remember if the Butcher can be bled and/or poisoned easily with flasks and weapons, but if so give that a try. Early on I often filled up enemy bleed meters and then just ran away. If you can get distance and cast a door trap on a wardrobe in there and then hide somewhere past it, enemies will open it trying to find you and get blasted.

I used bleed effects and acid jars on him.

Got him! Ate most of my resources but I got him! Abused paralysis and acid jars to get me through lol

Something I'm really liking so far are the mirrors at the entrance of boss rooms. I was a bit worried about the roguelike elements but it's actually oddly forgiving most of the time. It's great that I can activate the mirror, give the boss a go without needing to really worry about resources, then go make some different items or try something new if I die. I was expecting it to be far more frustrating, honestly.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Something I'm really liking so far are the mirrors at the entrance of boss rooms. I was a bit worried about the roguelike elements but it's actually oddly forgiving most of the time. It's great that I can activate the mirror, give the boss a go without needing to really worry about resources, then go make some different items or try something new if I die.

This is one of my favorite things about the game. Losing to a boss and having to start all over before getting another shot is what usually leads to me dropping roguelikes, so this makes a big difference.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Got into Chapter 2 and oh my god it's stepped up the difficulty a bit lmao
almost all those safe rooms, just gone lol

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack will release next Friday the 26th, but the Bandcamp and Steam pages for it are up. Looks like it will be $4. You can listen to some of the tracks on the Bandcamp page now and preordering it lets you download them. There are 117 tracks in there (anywhere from 30s to shy of 2 min. long)!

moonlessformless.bandcamp.com

Withering Rooms Original Soundtrack, by Moonless Formless

117 track album
store.steampowered.com

Withering Rooms Soundtrack on Steam

Withering Rooms is a challenging 2.5D horror RPG set in a procedurally generated Victorian mansion that changes each night. Explore Mostyn House to collect the perfect items for your build and face a huge cast of overgrown undead, invisible ghosts, devious witches, and more.

But everyone's just going to buy this one even if they don't get the whole album: https://moonlessformless.bandcamp.com/track/3-blackett-house-exterior

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
The soundtrack will release next Friday the 26th, but the Bandcamp and Steam pages for it are up. Looks like it will be $4. You can listen to some of the tracks on the Bandcamp page now and preordering it lets you download them. There are 117 tracks in there (anywhere from 30s to shy of 2 min. long)!

moonlessformless.bandcamp.com

Withering Rooms Original Soundtrack, by Moonless Formless

117 track album
store.steampowered.com

Withering Rooms Soundtrack on Steam

Withering Rooms is a challenging 2.5D horror RPG set in a procedurally generated Victorian mansion that changes each night. Explore Mostyn House to collect the perfect items for your build and face a huge cast of overgrown undead, invisible ghosts, devious witches, and more.

But everyone's just going to buy this one even if they don't get the whole album: https://moonlessformless.bandcamp.com/track/3-blackett-house-exterior

Genuinely cannot wait, the soundtrack is superb - such an old school feel to it, feels like there's a bit of Luigi's Mansion in some of the more IDM synthy music songs too

What a fantastic surprise this game has been - I've made it into chapter 3 now and it's just full of secrets, the drip feed of new mechanics and systems is absolutely brilliant! It's one of those games I can't stop thinking about, might honestly be my GOTY at this rate.

OP
OP
GenericBadGuy

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack is out now on Steam and Bandcamp, and the game got a balance patch last week. Melee should see some love.

Withering Rooms v1.24

New Features

* Added a new melee ring - the Knight's Ring - which boosts melee damage and shield effectiveness. Sold by the merchant in the East Attic Stairwell in Chapter 3/4.

Polish

* Japanese and German localization improvements
* Improve descriptions for several level up options to make it more clear why they are beneficial

Balance Changes

* Can dodge, roll or block sooner after a light melee attack
* The "invincible" portion of dodges and rolls when the Evasion Codex has been slightly increased
* Parlor NPC in Chapter 2 and Attic and East Stairwell NPCs in Chapter 3/4 sell more amulets and rings
* Pills sold by the nurse NPC in Chapter 3/4 are cheaper
* Bloody Ring now adds +1 bleeding to melee attacks, and the bleeding effect on the wearer it incurs has been halved
* Shield Ring now adds +10 poise
* Night Mother's Blade, Bloody Bell, Throwing Knife and Cholera Patient Head do more damage
* Bleed damage for Nail Trap reduced
* Curse Rot resistance for Eclipse Ring has been reduced
* Phantom Thread toll is no longer reduced with Spell Toll resistance, and Curse Rot damage is applied while wearing it
* Frog's Eye Ring has more poison resistance, but adds less poison damage to melee
* Poise and hyper armor length after poise break have been increased for all bosses after the church boss
* Lost Horse has improved AI

Bug Fixes

* Fix some bosses, such as the Church Invasion, Blood Tower Roof boss and New Game + boss, not having their cinematic properly play out and leaving the game in an odd state and/or not leaving proper rewards. If you haven't started a New Game + cycle, their rewards will appear in your inventory upon loading the game, otherwise you will need to defeat them again in your current cycle.
* Fix the ability to glitch into the mausoleum door before defeating the Chapter 1 hedge maze boss with certain button presses during the cinematic
* Fix healing barrier not lasting its full duration when boosted with higher Spell Damage
* Fix some seeds of the Observatory generating with furniture too close to a door to open it
* Reduce the number of volumetrics present in several areas to improve Very High/Ultra performance, particularly on AMD cards - if you continue to see issues on your particular configuration in an area, please file a bug report so I can check it out
* Fix the ring upgrade screen displaying [ERROR] for certain Windows system language/locale settings
* Fix the Scythe occasionally doing the heavy attack when it shouldn't
* Fix odd visual FX when rolling using Burning Protection
* Fix the minimap being offset when playing in ultrawide configurations
* Fix changing outfits during Spirit Form not applying the proper material
* Fix Mannequins not counting as one of your 3 enchantments
* Fix Sothach & Baw returning to life after being defeated and returning to the room
* Fix enemies that heal potentially healing on the same frame as their death(making them invincible)
* Fix queueing up a healing item while the Phantom Threads are equipped causing repeated attacks
* Fix being able to pick up Tesla Coil Mace twice
* Fix Edgar leaving a trail of map NPC icons when following the player
* Fix the Sword (Left) for Nightingale's Creature not displaying stats
* Fix the Comforting Bear not having its intended (small) curse healing effect when not being cuddled
* Fix being able to peek into the secret room in the Church of Burdens
* Fix rings with random heal/damage every X seconds effects sometimes not working properly