• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yes, only 23 years of age for three Oscar noms. And she stands a great chance for a nom, with a clearly quite beloved film. Its very likely to be A24's number one priority this year, and we've seen how they can work their magic with the Academy.

meanwhile Jennifer Laurence is in that mother! flop

tumblr_o38oaadaEa1up42jgo5_540.gif

Between On Chesil Beach, Mary Queen of Scots, The Seagull and possibly Sweetness in the Belly (filming hasn't begun yet, so probably not), I'd say she's also set up nicely for another nomination in 2019, in which case she'll pip Lawrence to become the youngest-ever four-time nominee (24 versus 25). Watch out, Meryl. ;)

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Thor numbers good? I'm so burned out on super hero movies and have been for years. They're like the Call of Duty of movies. Never been a fan. Who is watching them to make them keep making 2 a month? Seems like it's just kids and young adults. I just think movies and the movie experience at the cinema appeals more to the lowest common denominator now than ever before and are risk free resulting in uninspired cliched tropes and plot lines.

I think movies in general are on a decline and not very good these days. They seem tailor made to a specific audience as if they're focus tested to extreme amounts. This means the directors vision or creativity is never really in a lot of them anymore or is lost as they're forced to make them a certain way so as many people as possible will watch them. i.e. making movies that are pg13 all the time and the movie suffers because of it. Or putting in stupid forced humour or banter so more people will go see it. Movies are like semi comedies too when they don't need to be. Thor and avengers and stuff like thisguardians of the galaxy are like comedy super hero movies.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Movies are not only still good, there have been too many good movies this year I didn't had the time or chance to catch yet .

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are the Thor numbers good? I'm so burned out on super hero movies and have been for years. They're like the Call of Duty of movies. Never been a fan. Who is watching them to make them keep making 2 a month? Seems like it's just kids and young adults. I just think movies and the movie experience at the cinema appeals more to the lowest common denominator now than ever before and are risk free resulting in uninspired cliched tropes and plot lines.

I think movies in general are on a decline and not very good these days. They seem tailor made to a specific audience as if they're focus tested to extreme amounts. This means the directors vision or creativity is never really in a lot of them anymore or is lost as they're forced to make them a certain way so as many people as possible will watch them. i.e. making movies that are pg13 all the time and the movie suffers because of it. Or putting in stupid forced humour or banter so more people will go see it. Movies are like semi comedies too when they don't need to be. Thor and avengers and stuff like thisguardians of the galaxy are like comedy super hero movies.

tl;dr I'm angry that four-quadrant movies exist.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

This is like the "shame and honor" "I'm an expert" thing, right?

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
colossal was terrible. but yea this year of movies is already better than last years. Especially if you count 2016 releases like:

your name
lady macbeth
silence.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
This year was been rather weak so far, only Blade Runner and to an extent Dunkirk have been amazing (of what I've seen), compared to Nice Guys, Arrival, Manchester and Moonlight. The real decider for me though is if Phantom Thread delivers, if so, this year would fucking fantastic.
I read somewhere that it has a weird ending, TWBB style, if so that would be a real disappointment to end DDL's career on

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This year was been rather weak so far, only Blade Runner and to an extent Dunkirk have been amazing (of what I've seen), compared to Nice Guys, Arrival, Manchester and Moonlight. The real decider for me though is if Phantom Thread delivers, if so, this year would fucking fantastic.
I read somewhere that it has a weird ending, TWBB style, if so that would be a real disappointment to end DDL's career on

i take it you havent seen Get Out

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf, last year was amazing for films. Better than this one too (although 2017 had a fantastic summer compared to the abysmal one last time)

2016>17 easy. It even gave us Scorseses strongest movie of the century

I am liking 2017 so far though. And call me by your name looks damn good. Looking forward to that one

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
2016 had some definite strong contenders.

2017 has been decent though. In terms of that post, I can't see it in a year that included Split, A Cure For Wellness, Detroit, Get Out, Trainspotting 2, Logan Lucky, Colossal, Your Name, It Comes at Night, The Big Sick, Baby Driver, and Dunkirk.

Oct 27, 2017
2017 has been fantastic, but 2016 was great too. Right now I'd say they're about the same, although that could change by the end of the year. Still plenty for me to watch before then.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Wtf, last year was amazing for films. Better than this one too (although 2017 had a fantastic summer compared to the abysmal one last time)

2016>17 easy. It even gave us Scorseses strongest movie of the century

I am liking 2017 so far though. And call me by your name looks damn good. Looking forward to that one
2016 was great. no doubt.

"It even gave us Scorseses strongest movie of the century"

"2016>17 easy"

but you haven't even seen all the movies of 2017 going 2016>2017. you matching my hyperbole with even bigger hyperbole. vicious cycle.

edit:large majority of the best films this year aren't even widely available to the public yet. That inlcudes some Korean films like

A taxi driver
After the storm

Bruh the movie let me down big.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
2016 and 2017 have both been great for me.

If I had to knock 2017, I don't know if a comedy had me laughing as much as The Nice Guys or Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

The Disaster Artist has potential, though.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

If this isn't a copypasta yet, it should be.

tonka

Oct 26, 2017
I saw murder on the orient express
Fun movie
Don't know if it will light up the box office

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with 2016 being better. By the same time, we had: Elle, Handmaiden, Hacksaw Ridge, The Wailing, Star Trek Beyond, Nice Guys, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Cloverfield, etc.

But I feel like 2017 been a bit better for the Blockbusters: DC, Fox, and Marvel all hit it out of the park. Apes and Blade Runner both came out, cementing that we won't get anything like either till a studio is stupid enough again to want to lose money. With It and Get Out being the two most entertaining horror films in a long ass time.

Of course, both fall to the greatness of 2015 which was firing on all cylinders and strongest year for the decade.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Damn starting to see more and more Oscar predictions on my feed.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li.../item/best-director-1045420?facebook_20171101

I'll agree with 2016 being better. By the same time, we had: Elle, Handmaiden, Hacksaw Ridge, The Wailing, Star Trek Beyond, Nice Guys, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Cloverfield, etc.

But I feel like 2017 been a bit better for the Blockbusters: DC, Fox, and Marvel all hit it out of the park. Apes and Blade Runner both came out, cementing that we won't get anything like either till a studio is stupid enough again to want to lose money. With It and Get Out being the two most entertaining horror films in a long ass time.

Of course, both fall to the greatness of 2015 which was firing on all cylinders and strongest year for the decade.
you listed some awesome blockbusters, but 2049 is better than most of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn starting to see more and more Oscar predictions on my feed.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li.../item/best-director-1045420?facebook_20171101

you listed some awesome blockbusters, but 2049 is better than most of them.

I do want to say Richard Gere was great in Norman (even if the movie itself isn't that great). Also, expectations for Wonder Woman getting anything other than a technical award is now getting ridiculous. Gadot has no chance, let alone a "possibility". If any of the big budget summer movies should get a nomination for writing or film, it should be the Apes movie, which totally has no right to be as good as it is. But, seeing the list of everything laid out, I think this year was overall pretty darn good for movies. So many great ones, big and small, that stuff is going to fall through the cracks. Lots of good mid/low/micro budget stuff as well.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Academy will nominate Cars 3. Just, I don't think they'll be that blatant about it.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
Your name wasn't up for it last year because it hadn't gotten a western release yet. If it doesn't get nominated that just confirms what an utter Joke the best animation category is

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the year Nolan wins his Oscar.

BR 2049 seems like it will be ignored but god damn, give cinematography to Deakins already.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, are there any horror films that have ever been nominated for Best Picture?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The Sixth Sense was also nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay.

With all this talk about good movies this year, I'm surprised no one seems to be talking about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Comes out next week, getting great reviews, from the dude who wrote/directed In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. Go see it, losers.

They will give the cinematography to Dunkirk.
Would be the second time a Nolan film robbed Deakins.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
They will give the cinematography to Dunkirk.

In the last few years I would be cool with that but hopefully not this time. Hoyte did great but Deakins is overdue.

Three Billboards and call me by your name are the ones I'm most hyped to see the rest of this year. Mcdonagh is such a dope writer.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$43m for Thor's Saturday.

Holding with GotG2 should give it $120+.

Jesus. Thor really looks set to open above Homecoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.