Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The fucked up thing is if this underperforms more than TLJ then Kennedy might be axed which shit.
Which Disney executive made the choice of pushing a trilogy forward without any sort of plan to stick to from the outset? Because whether that's Kennedy or someone else, that person probably deserves to be on the chopping block.

People can whine and argue about which of Abrams or Johnson shit the bed harder, but what jumps out to me is that the two of them are basically oil and water. Of course this relay race between the two of them would fall apart once both were given as much creative freedom as they were. They are clearly not at all interested in telling the same types of stories, and the choices of one ended up handicapping the other one from each hand-off IMO.

Star Wars definitely needed a Kevin Feige to at least plot a path for this story. Like at least the bare minimum of a framework of themes and goals for the writer-directors to actually work toward. It's kind of insane that this franchise has been handled as haphazardly as it has been.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to be surprised that people have pulled out a right wing troll battle cry and seriously entertain it as a possible remedy for the unforgivable sin of *checks notes* releasing a film that only comes in 10th place in the all-time domestic opening weekends.

But I'm not.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to be surprised that people have pulled out a right wing troll battle cry and seriously entertain it as a possible remedy for the unforgivable sin of *checks notes* releasing a film that only comes in 10th place in the all-time domestic opening weekends.

But I'm not.
Basically the Woody Crying Money gif.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
You know a movie can make a lot of money and still fall below expectations, right?

I'm not saying Kennedy should or would be fired, but I really don't think this box office trajectory is what Disney was hoping for.
Yeah if that happens, oh boy, that first stockholders meeting of 2020 is gonna be a doozy.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Which Disney executive made the choice of pushing a trilogy forward without any sort of plan to stick to from the outset? Because whether that's Kennedy or someone else, that person probably deserves to be on the chopping block.

People can whine and argue about which of Abrams or Johnson shit the bed harder, but what jumps out to me is that the two of them are basically oil and water. Of course this relay race between the two of them would fall apart once both were given as much creative freedom as they were. They are clearly not at all interested in telling the same types of stories, and the choices of one ended up handicapping the other one from each hand-off IMO.

Star Wars definitely needed a Kevin Feige to at least plot a path for this story. Like at least the bare minimum of a framework of themes and goals for the writer-directors to actually work toward. It's kind of insane that this franchise has been handled as haphazardly as it has been.

I agree with this take. I enjoyed all three movies, but

the whiplash in ROS reverting a lot of TLJ direction was really something.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine what it must be like to watch numerous sequels that keep erasing and rejecting the work of the writers before them.

Actually wait, I read comics. Sike.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SW had no chance of ever coming close to Endgame. China alone made sure of that unless you're speaking strictly domestically. Even then, I doubt Disney themselves thought SW could match that $357 million opening weekend Endgame had.

I dunno, part of me thinks that if they handled the sequel trilogy well and made an actually interesting original story instead of a retread of the same old shit with a big hype cliffhanger leading to episode 9, it could have gotten pretty close

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The big issue for SW is not necessarily the money Skywalker makes, but the long term sustainability of the brand. What does it look like going forward? Can they keep consistently putting out billion dollar movies? Can they expand internationally?

Nobody invests in a brand hoping it can comfortably, slowly decline overtime. Disney is obviously going to have a legendary year, but I can see them reshuffling Lucasfilm a bit while they figure out how to maximize its profitability.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it really matters if Kennedy remains in her position or not. The 180 after TLJ and the success of The Mandalorian provide a pretty clear picture for the future of the Star Wars franchise. I fully expect a "back to basics" strategy, I think it's safe to say that the Rian Johnson experiment will not happen again.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it really matters if Kennedy remains in her position or not. The 180 after TLJ and the success of The Mandalorian provide a pretty clear picture for the future of the Star Wars franchise. I fully expect a "back to basics" strategy, I think it's safe to say that the Rian Johnson experiment will not happen again.
They should do that more though, just give it to people worth a shit like Faverau.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The big issue for SW is not necessarily the money Skywalker makes, but the long term sustainability of the brand. What does it look like going forward? Can they keep consistently putting out billion dollar movies? Can they expand internationally?

Nobody invests in a brand hoping it can comfortably, slowly decline overtime. Disney is obviously going to have a legendary year, but I can see them reshuffling Lucasfilm a bit while they figure out how to maximize its profitability.
But how do you maximize profitably with Star Wars? Even Star Wars fans can't agree what to do with it.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
rian johnson's film came in #4 all time opening weekends and #13 all time world wide grosses.

disney would not mind that happening again.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Mando's charm wears off once you get used to Baby Yoda and "It's a Star Wars take on a Western!"

But I know I'm alone on this. It's not even bad, I'm just not nuts for it.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Mando's charm wears off once you get used to Baby Yoda and "It's a Star Wars take on a Western!"

star wars is a star wars take on a western.

(They just couldnt hold onto that western angle for longer than half a movie but it was intended as a "space western")

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, you aren't alone here. I've definitely been seeing the reaction to the show cool as the weeks wear on. Probably should have been a movie, because I don't think the novelty's going to be completely worn away by the end of the season.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
TROS is destined to be the first trilogy ender to gross the least and people are still talking about how TLJ's dropoff doomed the series.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
One thing I think we can agree on is that I feel that the ST failed to capture the next generation of Star Wars fans in a reasonable way. Anecdotal, but none of my younger family members care about the brand or are interested in any of the movies.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
So jumanji 2 second weekend tracking to do better than the first movie opening weekend? That's a little wild, figured it would be more front loaded.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
One thing I think we can agree on is that I feel that the ST failed to capture the next generation of Star Wars fans in a reasonable way. Anecdotal, but none of my younger family members care about the brand or are interested in any of the movies.
Yep, Marvel has captured the hearts and minds of this generation of children.

Status
Not open for further replies.