Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Jumanji is doing so well. I thought 2017's would be lightning in a bottle. Guess Sony's got another franchise now (to run into the ground in a few years).

Nothing came out last weekend and his weekend was light other than Jumanji so I could see it. The star power in that film is incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a screening of Richard Jewell last week, the main actor is a dead on ringer for him which was crazy, but I found it to lack all subtlety and be wildly anti-media and anti-government. I just don't like where Eastwood is as a citizen these days to make something like this.

Still need to catch Knives Out, maybe this afternoon.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That's what they said last time. Never count out the Jumanji! The slightest hint of weakness and it'll be ready to pounce!
Nobody is counting it out. Just pointing out it isn't going to put a dent in Star Wars grosses. Just like last time.

EDIT:
Last Jedi did 53% more money domestic than Jumanji
Last Jedi did 38% more money worldwide than Jumanji

Yup. Sure was hurting.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Cats is coming out in like 9 countries this week...I wonder about it's opening weekend.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Cats is coming out in like 9 countries this week...I wonder about it's opening weekend.
giphy.gif

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
You'll bet that Sony will most certainly greenlight the next Jumanji sequel with these weekend numbers alone and could get the same legs as the previous film

Knives Out continuing to hold pretty good

Richard Jewell flopping is good, Eastwood really screwed the movie with putting in his own horseshit in to piss off everyone who's not a Trumpster just enough to not see it

Black Christmas, it'll make some money with it's $5 million budget, I hope in a decade or two, it doesn't get remade again

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I saw a screening of Richard Jewell last week, the main actor is a dead on ringer for him which was crazy, but I found it to lack all subtlety and be wildly anti-media and anti-government. I just don't like where Eastwood is as a citizen these days to make something like this.

Still need to catch Knives Out, maybe this afternoon.
Yeah, the actor was great great in I, Tonya.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Nobody is counting it out. Just pointing out it isn't going to put a dent in Star Wars grosses. Just like last time.

EDIT:
Last Jedi did 53% more money domestic than Jumanji
Last Jedi did 38% more money worldwide than Jumanji

Yup. Sure was hurting.

Mainline star wars coming off a 2 billion dollar gross only did 38% more than Jumanji worldwide? Damn Jumanji did far more damage than i released for shame!!!

I wonder how many exclamations marks do i have to put into my posts before you realise i'm not serious.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It would take a minor miracle for Cats to even outgross Jumanji's second weekend. They are hoping for Greatest Showman-level business and I just don't see it happening.
That's the power of Disney buying out theaters to make it look like a success to justify still having Johnson work on Star Wars. 😉
giphy.gif

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Who would've thought Jumanji would be having the success it's having. Gusss the 2017 version wasn't a fluke after all.

Black Christmas was terrible. I'd rather watch the 2006 version with Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Oct 25, 2017
I am so happy Knives Out is doing well

Shithead youtubers like Angry Joe and Jeremy Jahns and internet nazis btfo

Happy for Rian

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Mainline star wars coming off a 2 billion dollar gross only did 38% more than Jumanji worldwide? Damn Jumanji did far more damage than i released for shame!!!

I wonder how many exclamations marks do i have to put into my posts before you realise i'm not serious.
With all the dumb ass takes about Star Wars that have been posted over the last few years, it is very hard to tell if someone is being serious or sarcastic. There are so many posts that were totally serious saying similar things across other threads.
Apologies that I didnt see the sarcasm before.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
After being ho hum with Jumanji 2 (or is it 3?), the promises the ending had actually make me glad another one will be made now.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Cats, why did they decide to release that on Star Wars weekend? Didn't that film have a budget like Infinity War?

Counter programing. Star wars didn't stop the last jumanji from being a ridiculously unexpected success. Two weeks of millions of people on vacation with time off is a great window to release a movie.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Counter programing. Star wars didn't stop the last jumanji from being a ridiculously unexpected success. Two weeks of millions of people on vacation with time off is a great window to release a movie.
Yeah, holiday is interesting to watch because usually you don't have monster opening numbers (well, except Star Wars), but the daily grosses play more like weekend days. So it is like a ten day stretch of weekend days, so the grosses climb fast even if the weekend totals look tame.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black Christmas was one of the year's worst. Glad it tanked. Wretched film.
It had good ideas that were executed poorly and was Black Christmas in name only.
There was a better Black Christmas a few years ago.
Black Christmas was terrible. I'd rather watch the 2006 version with Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Nah the 00's one is definitely worse. It's borderline unwatchable, where this one was just bad.

Reminder that the 00's one had
the mom locking her kid in the attic then raping him for another kid when her boyfriend couldn't get it up.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chart is up, copying what I posted in the first post for it.

xNG7lHx.jpg

Now it has been reported that Disney has grossed past $10 Bn for the year already, this is most likely from holdovers from the previous year (Ralph 2, Mary Poppins Returns, The Nutcracker Film everyone forgot about.) though since I don't have exact figures on how much they grossed this year, they aren't being charted, and I dunno, maybe there's some fudge? Who knows. 10 Bn for this chart is almost certainly being hit this week with Star Wars opening though.

Jumanji opened well and beat tracking, that's nice I suppose. TIme to see if it can get close to the 900 Million the first did with a release before Star Wars this time.

Oh and Cats is happening next week.

Oh Cats.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Chart is up, copying what I posted in the first post for it.

xNG7lHx.jpg

Now it has been reported that Disney has grossed past $10 Bn for the year already, this is most likely from holdovers from the previous year (Ralph 2, Mary Poppins Returns, The Nutcracker Film everyone forgot about.) though since I don't have exact figures on how much they grossed this year, they aren't being charted, and I dunno, maybe there's some fudge? Who knows. 10 Bn for this chart is almost certainly being hit this week with Star Wars opening though.

Jumanji opened well and beat tracking, that's nice I suppose. TIme to see if it can get close to the 900 Million the first did with a release before Star Wars this time.

Oh and Cats is happening next week.

Oh Cats.
Thank you for keeping the chart updated.
As for grosses from early in the year from holdovers, you could go to the weekly or monthly grosses of the films online and add those in. The Numbers does break down daily and weekly. I know it is a lot of work for something mostly meaningless, because most of us are just looking at this chart as "movies released in 2019" instead.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for keeping the chart updated.
As for grosses from early in the year from holdovers, you could go to the weekly or monthly grosses of the films online and add those in. The Numbers does break down daily and weekly. I know it is a lot of work for something mostly meaningless, because most of us are just looking at this chart as "movies released in 2019" instead.

I'll see what I can find for it, I don't think I can get the exact values from holdovers, but I can probably get close figures at least.

Nutcracker and the Four Realms surely isn't adding that much to the numbers anyway.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It had good ideas that were executed poorly and was Black Christmas in name only.

Nah the 00's one is definitely worse. It's borderline unwatchable, where this one was just bad.

Reminder that the 00's one had
the mom locking her kid in the attic then raping him for another kid when her boyfriend couldn't get it up.
I had forgotten about that part. While disturbing, it at least wasn't boring. Plus I liked the cast a lot better, and the kills were bloody. Not a good film, but I love B horror movie schlock

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at how well Jumanji did considering the rather lukewarm pre-release hype (or lack of it). Time to see if it will have the legs to come close to its predecessor.

So Ford vs Ferrari, Knives Out and Doctor Sleep all came out this weekend here. Couldn't find the time to watch Ford vs Ferrari and its unlikely that movie will stay in theaters for long so I'll most likely have to watch it on its home release. Did watch Knives Out and Doctor Sleep and damn, that was a great double feature. Really enjoyed both movies.

Was it necessary to go to town on that baseball kid like that in Doctor Sleep tho? Holy crap that was one of the hardest things I've had to watch in a while.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Knives Out and Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood this week. Both great movies.

Gotta see Dark Waters, Richard Jewell, and Queen and Slim at some point before they leave theaters. Kinda have no interest in Jumanji, at least not right now.

Avoiding theaters like the plague next weekend.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one pulling for Cats to be good. Maybe they should give them lightsabers to dance with.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really glad both Jumanji and Frozen have done well, great sequels.

Hope both eat into Star Wars now. The franchise had a good run but the last mainline entry killed it sadly.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really glad both Jumanji and Frozen have done well, great sequels.

Hope both eat into Star Wars now. The franchise had a good run but the last mainline entry killed it sadly.
Humor me, how many dead franchises have tracking numbers pointing to a 200m opening weekend now?

Which btw, would be more than Frozen and Jumanji's OW's combined. Would love to hear how you think what TROS will do equals dead franchise.

The only logical answer is no one has ever taught you what the word dead means.

Status
Not open for further replies.