• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

jALeo8f.png

lM6OKKr.png

p4UPDIj.png

yXgW680.png

itCAsjz.png

Weekend Box Office: 'Fifty Shades Freed' Climaxes With $137M Global Debut

Universal's Fifty Shades Freed seduced audiences in its worldwide debut, grossing $136.9 million and propelling the female-fueled, Valentine's Day franchise past the $1 billion mark in global box-office ticket sales.

In North America, Fifty Shades Freed easily dominated, coming in No. 1 with $38.8 million, the top opening of the year to date. There were no signs that the #MeToo movement slowed down the threequel, which came in less than 17 percent behind Fifty Shades Darker, a small drop for a third title, not to mention a third title in a franchise based on a book series that's faded from view.

Females made up 75 percent or more of the North American audience for Fifty Shades Freed. Dakota Johnson once again stars as Anastasia Steele, while Jamie Dornan reprises the role of Christian Grey.

A CGI/live-action hybrid, Sony's Peter Rabbit came in No. 2 with an estimated $25 million from 3,725 theaters. The family film, from Sony Pictures Animation, earned an A- CinemaScore from moviegoers.

The 15:17, placing third, currently has a 20 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, the worst of Eastwood's career. Audiences weren't so kind either, giving the movie a B-. The movie skewed notably older; on Friday, 57 percent of ticket buyers were over the age of 50. Conversely, only 14 percent were 25 and younger.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
That Clint Eastwood movie only got 20% from RT? lol. I figured it would be a little cheesy, but damn!

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still amazed there were 3 Grey movies

Freed is already over a $100M worldwide so we're getting at least one Christian-led movie.

Shape of Water is about to cross $50M in the US. That's a big benchmark for del Toro.

Jumanji and Greatest Showman continue to defy gravity despite three new wide-releases.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
Disgusting that Peter Rabbit did so much better than Paddington 2.

America's greatest failure since electing Trump.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Man fuck 15:17 to Paris. What those guys did should be commended. But to star as yourselves in a movie about the incident feels scummy and Clint Eastwood has shown that he likes to exploit patriotism to fatten his wallet.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone might presume that more rigid attitudes about consent and how powerful men treat of women might make people less enthusiastic about a film where a lady gets tied up and abused. I haven't seen any of the Grey films though so I'm not sure how the BDSM there gets played out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If the next week's title isn't some variation of "what giants do", I will have words with Kswis

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Don't

Miss

The

Climax

Get it? we have to watch the new 50 shades movie boo boo i don't want to miss the climaxxxxxx

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$160m three-day, $190m four-day for Panther.

The Kendrick album drop was perfect timing. The buzz is off the charts for this.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Why?

The first one had a huge ROI. The second one, though earning less, still had big margins.

They are pretty inexpensive movies, all things considered, that earn quite well.
Not because of OMGTHATSUCKS, I actually watched both and man, Grey is a total asshole and Steele is a puppet with the illusion of freedom.

It's really fucked up and I haven't even read the books and I heard it gets worse. Had not been for Panther, I would have wasted a few sneaking in to this.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Jumanji posted the smallest drop of all films.
Peter Rabbit overperformed its tracking.

Sony can do no wro-
8mGaom5.jpg

Oh.

And it looks like Paramount will at least stave off getting beaten by Sony Pictures Classic for a while longer. Then again, they have that sweet sweet Netflix bailout cash.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Showman and Jumanji are still on the top 5 and they came out around Christmas!

Paramount is thankful Netflix brought the Paradox rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.