Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
And Godzilla flopping isnt surprising.

The interest for these big monster movies just isnt there. And frankly they just arent that good and never have been.

Sure Godzilla 14 had some great trailers and people got a bit hyped but the movie was not very good. And even with the hype it still couldn't crack a 100M OW.

And Pacific rim was not a good movie. It was bad. If anybody else name was attached to that film as director it would be lambasted just like the rest of these type of films. The characters were wooden cut outs as bad as Godzilla 2014 and the attempts at humour were God awful and painfully unfunny. The only redeeming aspect of that film is the sequel was somehow so much worse it made the first look watchable.
Both PR and G'14 were both well received

I do agree though, NA simply doesn't care about monster flicks. If KoTM was well made, maybe it could have bounced back with decent WoM, but it's dead and that makes me sad.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
And other people have made it known they love them for years.

We were talking about the latest entry in the franchise that doesn't have a ton of hype, so I chimed in with my opinion on its history. What a weird thing to do on a forum.

But ok. We're cool.
I find it weird others are still trying to fight you on it. lol

I'll own up to it. My bad.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Vin Diesel bombs in anything that doesn't have Fast or Furious in its title yet he still gets roles. Same thing will happen to Hemsworth.
Ehhh, xxx 1 and 3,the pacifier, pitch black, riddick all made money. He basically has 3 franchises to varying success, xxx riddick and fast and furious and pretty much everything else bombs.

I will say it was amusing that they acted like the last witch hunter was going to be a franchise right up until opening weekend.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Both PR and G'14 were both well received

I do agree though, NA simply doesn't care about monster flicks. If KoTM was well made, maybe it could have bounced back with decent WoM, but it's dead and that makes me sad.
They did fine critically but I'd argue they didn't resonate with audiences very strongly. Hence why their direct sequels tanked. Regardless, I just dont see the audience cache required for movies that require massive budgets.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
disneys third wish was going to be to bring back traditional hand drawn animation back from the dead.

but then they realized one of the rules was no reincarnation

:(

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Brightburn second weekend tanked. 70% drop!. Holy

I saw it Saturday and thought it was okay? As a straight forward horror film it was a decent time.

I guess slathering James Gunn name all over marketing didn't do anything for it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
And Godzilla flopping isnt surprising.

The interest for these big monster movies just isnt there. And frankly they just arent that good and never have been.

Sure Godzilla 14 had some great trailers and people got a bit hyped but the movie was not very good. And even with the hype it still couldn't crack a 100M OW.

And Pacific rim was not a good movie. It was bad. If anybody else name was attached to that film as director it would be lambasted just like the rest of these type of films. The characters were wooden cut outs as bad as Godzilla 2014 and the attempts at humour were God awful and painfully unfunny. The only redeeming aspect of that film is the sequel was somehow so much worse it made the first look watchable.
Pacific Rim had the world building and spectacle of being a live-action mech movie, which there isn't a lot of. At best it was a proof that you could make this type of movie.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll kick u out, dongboi

7368.jpg

What's wrong big brother? Sacred of your little sister's dong?

Jul 18, 2018
I just realized and forgot about this scenario....
But Endgame can have a re-release, even with new clips etc if they wanted to during holiday times. They can push marketing to say we need to beat Avatar.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
But Endgame can have a re-release, even with new clips etc if they wanted to during holiday times. They can push marketing to say we need to beat Avatar.
While Frozen 2 is still playing and Rise of Skywalker marketing and release are ramping up while Endgame has been on home video for months and is just now appearing on their new streaming service.

Checks out.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it can't. Please think about it for a second. You think they would push a endgame re-release when they are focused on marketing and releasing Frozen and Star Wars?

And you think Disney would have a campaign "to say we need to beat Avatar"? Disney owns Avatar and is releasing 4 Avatar movies over the next decade.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Is it wrong for me to think that Rocketman would have performed better if it was released after Elton John passed away?

Also what's the next music biopic film that could be successful?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
No Godzilla movie should have a 130m+ budget.

It's the reason the 98 movie was considered a disappointment too, even though it was the third highest grossing movie WW that year.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Is it wrong for me to think that Rocketman would have performed better if it was released after Elton John passed away?

It is both wrong and completely normal thinking. It is interesting when a biopic like this hits while the artist is still alive, but I do like that apparently Elton was wanting it warts and all. I have not seen it yet so cannot confirm.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Straight Outta Compton did fine and Eazy-E is the only one from that group that died. It might be just Hip Hop biopics that do worse when the person is dead.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
It is both wrong and completely normal thinking. It is interesting when a biopic like this hits while the artist is still alive, but I do like that apparently Elton was wanting it warts and all. I have not seen it yet so cannot confirm.

I wouldn't have trusted it being made at all if they waited till he was dead. Stuff like him being there to demand they not whitewash his sexuality wouldn't have worked in that scenario

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's really important is that Endgame JUST passed He Phantom Menace in tickets sold

This metric is quite interesting considering TPM just did $1b WW. With that said, this means that tickets were cheaper back then and people would have had to purchase a lot more to match numbers for movies nowadays.

For example, AVATAR sold 97,309,600 tickets while Endgame has sold 90,510,700 tickets and they're only $75m apart in the box office.

So to add some spice to the thread. Yes AVATAR sold a shit ton because of 3D but it also had to work a lot harder in order to get to $2.7b than Endgame has had to. For example, we now have IMAX, IMAX 3D, 3D, Dolby, D-BOX, Prime 3D, 4DX, RPX, XD and whatever else premium format. Back in 2009 we only had IMAX, IMAX 3D, 3D.

Fight me.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I wouldn't have trusted it being made at all if they waited till he was dead. Stuff like him being there to demand they not whitewash his sexuality wouldn't have worked in that scenario
Great point. I am also excited about Taron playing the role and actually doing the singing.
How far into Elton's career does the film go actually? Because I love me the fuck out of some 70s Elton. Dude could rock like a motherfucker and people seem to forget that.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Obviously, I don't wish he was dead just for the sake of the movie doing better at the BO but I think this one of the first major recent musician biopics that actually had the artist alive at the time of release. Ray Charles died months before Ray, Johnny Cash 2 years before Walk the Line, etc.

I am see that an Elvis biopic is in development so it'll be interesting to see how that does.

Straight Outta Compton did fine and Eazy-E is the only one from that group that died.
Eh, not really comparable but even then to a lot of people Easy E's death was the end of NWA. That's like saying some members of Queen are still alive when it clearly was about Freddy.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Obviously, I don't wish he was dead just for the sake of the movie doing better at the BO but I think this one of the first major musician biopics that actually had the artist alive at the time of release. Ray Charles died months before Ray, Johnny Cash 2 years before Walk the Line, etc.

I am see that an Elvis biopic is in development so it'll be interesting to see how that does.

Eh, not really comparable but even then to a lot of people Easy E's death was the end of NWA. That's like saying some members of Queen are still alive when it clearly was about Freddy.
Oh, I never interpreted it as wishing he was dead, but it is a natural thing to think about with a major icon's biopic.
As for an Elvis film, they have done that several times already, but none that really stood out. It would be nice to have a warts and all biopic though. But who right now has the swagger to play young Elvis on screen?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No Godzilla movie should have a 130m+ budget.

It's the reason the 98 movie was considered a disappointment too, even though it was the third highest grossing movie WW that year.

The ironic thing is Sony cancelled the original 1994 script for Godzilla (better than what we got, of course) because they felt the budget asked for was too high.

$100 million.

The 98 film ended up costing anywhere from $130-$150 million.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I never interpreted it as wishing he was dead, but it is a natural thing to think about with a major icon's biopic.
As for an Elvis film, they have done that several times already, but none that really stood out. It would be nice to have a warts and all biopic though. But who right now has the swagger to play young Elvis on screen?
If by "warts and all" you mean "met his wife when she was 14" and "had a spotty relationship with black people", then I wouldn't imagine that staying in

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Oh gotcha, sorry I thought that's what you were implying. As far as young Elvis I honestly can't really think of anyone but apparently the project has Tom Hanks attached to it so I'm expecting it to be a high profile film.

https://www.slashfilm.com/elvis-biopic/

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Pacific Rim had the world building and spectacle of being a live-action mech movie, which there isn't a lot of. At best it was a proof that you could make this type of movie.

Pacific rim was a moderate success, many questioned the film even getting a sequel as it didn't do amazing box office. None of these big kaiju movies have done big box office, they do ok at best.

KOTM will probably do ok in the end, but I think the biggest issue with KOTM is that it does seem they went all out on the marketing for this sequel. Godzilla has been plastered everywhere for months, I wouldn't be surprised that they blew a ton of money in advertising this compared to 14 and Kong. That's gonna sting

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
What's really important is that Endgame JUST passed He Phantom Menace in tickets sold

This metric is quite interesting considering TPM just did $1b WW. With that said, this means that tickets were cheaper back then and people would have had to purchase a lot more to match numbers for movies nowadays.

For example, AVATAR sold 97,309,600 tickets while Endgame has sold 90,510,700 tickets and they're only $75m apart in the box office.

So to add some spice to the thread. Yes AVATAR sold a shit ton because of 3D but it also had to work a lot harder in order to get to $2.7b than Endgame has had to. For example, we now have IMAX, IMAX 3D, 3D, Dolby, D-BOX, Prime 3D, 4DX, RPX, XD and whatever else premium format. Back in 2009 we only had IMAX, IMAX 3D, 3D.

Fight me.

That Imax 3D was glorious tho at the time. Truly amazing.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019

Fight me.
I'll fight you. Those ticket sold numbers are domestic only. So, your point could be strengthened, I guess (Endgame beat Avatar domestically on less tickets sold). It would be fun to know the worldwide tickets sold for both movies though.

Then again, those are estimates, I have no idea how accurate they are.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That Imax 3D was glorious tho at the time. Truly amazing.
Theater in CT where I lived was a LIEMax, but didnt care because could do reserve seating finally and saw Avatar there for first time. Then saw it in 2D another time, which was odd since the 2D release was in 2.35:1 aspect ratio and not 1.85:1 like the 3D versions. Eventually saw it in 3D again in theaters in regular RealD.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Theater in CT where I lived was a LIEMax, but didnt care because could do reserve seating finally and saw Avatar there for first time. Then saw it in 2D another time, which was odd since the 2D release was in 2.35:1 aspect ratio and not 1.85:1 like the 3D versions. Eventually saw it in 3D again in theaters in regular RealD.

I remember we went to Avatar at the Indianapolis State Museum in Imax 3D (1570). It was a huge line, and I didn't know anything about the movie or understand exactly what this new technology was. We got those special glasses, went into the giant theater, and the rest was history. Amazing experience.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Following Endgame's box office run has been a wild ride. Before it came out I was convinced it wouldn't surpass Avatar. Then the movie reached the 2b dollar mark in record time and I joined the 3b train. That train derailed hard and it's very unlikely Endgame will surpass Avatar, although it will get close. What a rollercoaster.

If we're comparing to Bohemian Rhapsody, I think it just comes down to Elton John not being as popular as Queen internationally.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I really thought Endgame could do it but alas :(
How long will EG be expected to stay in theaters?

And I was going to go watch Godzilla on Tuesday....surely it can't be THAT bad right? I was looking forward to big kaiju spectacle...

Status
Not open for further replies.