Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm pretty certain that TFA domestic record is going to stand for some time.

Endgame was the only film that had a legitimate chance at beating it and that's clearly not happening now.

Also, why are people assuming Endgame won't beat Avatar's WW record? Has the overseas revenue dried up entirely?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll fight you. Those ticket sold numbers are domestic only. So, your point could be strengthened, I guess (Endgame beat Avatar domestically on less tickets sold). It would be fun to know the worldwide tickets sold for both movies though.

Then again, those are estimates, I have no idea how accurate they are.
You're not really fighting me though lol but yeah this is just domestic but by looking at this chart, my point would still stand for Endgame v AVATAR in tickets sales.
qy7rm17ppx031.jpg

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I really thought Endgame could do it but alas :(
How long will EG be expected to stay in theaters?

And I was going to go watch Godzilla on Tuesday....surely it can't be THAT bad right? I was looking forward to big kaiju spectacle...
The way people are talking here, you might believe that Endgame is dead. Even if it doesn't top Avatar, the run has been nothing short of spectacular. But we don't have any reason to believe Endgame will leave theaters before September. Beating Avatar worldwide record is still possible, regardless of what you might have lead to believe.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm pretty certain that TFA domestic record is going to stand for some time.

Endgame was the only film that had a legitimate chance at beating it and that's clearly not happening now.

Also, why are people assuming Endgame won't beat Avatar's WW record? Has the overseas revenue dried up entirely?

China is closed and Dom / Rest of World have slowed way down

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Disney maybe even want Avatar to be surpassed by avengers at this point

I mean they need it for avatar 2's marketing :pn

" the sequel to the highest grossing movie ever"

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame is a 2.7 billion bomba

at least that's what it feels like around here :p
No one is talking like that at all. $2.7b is still $2.7b.

The thing is is that a lot of people assumed Endgame was going to blow past AVATAR due to it's insane opening weekend/week numbers and I don't blame them. People were saying $3b-$3.5b WW and ever since that's been shot down now it's just "Endgame will top AVATAR" but that also remains a question.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be interested to see how Toho goes about the new universe they have in mind after GvK is released, even as I'm disappointed that a sequel to Shin Godzilla died for it.
Wait, they cancelled a Shin Godzilla sequel? I really enjoyed Shin for the most part, but I also really liked the two more recent MechaGodzilla movies that had come out before it.

So Toho is going to do some sort of new universe?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I mean, I think the EG run has still been amazing and all the props, I just thought it'd be cool for it to go all the way (maybe it still will??? over the rest of the summer??).

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the only X-Men films I've seen are Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Apocolypse, Logan, and Deadpool 2.

I had a period of time where I was basically relying on other people to see movies, so I missed out on the original X-Men Trilogy, Origins Wolverine, First Class and Wolverine.

Even without seeing the original trilogy and only seeing DoFP, Logan was really good. And I've adored the Deadpool movies.

I guess if I'm being honest with myself. I haven't had a problem with the X-Men films I've seen. But I was getting worried with the people running the show on Fan4stic and how they would handle future X-Men films (like Dark Phoenix).

I guess I didn't hate Apocolypse. But I didn't feel the same way I did getting out of DoFP. Or other comic book films I really like.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I feel like that Force Awakens domestic record will fall sooner than the Endgame OW record will. Because you can hit the big total on legs, but you can only hit the OW on insane hype levels.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sad news about Godzilla. I want to say that the good word of mouth will help it have some legs, but the release date was terrible and there's a big movie pretty much every week for the next few weeks.

At least they already filmed Godzilla vs Kong.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sad news about Godzilla. I want to say that the good word of mouth will help it have some legs, but the release date was terrible and there's a big movie pretty much every week for the next few weeks.

Opinions among fans are rather mixed actually. A shame as I enjoyed the movie and I'm looking forward to watching it again.

And yeah, this movie won't have great legs. I'd be happy to be wrong tho.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

The problem with already having the sequel in the can is they already blew all that money they will probably not recoup. The good thing with that movie in the can is the filmmakers did what they wanted (somewhat) without having the rug yanked out from under them.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. I said your point was strengthened..

And that chart is about dollars again, not about amount of tickets sold.

Which also strengthens my point because AVATAR dominated most countries outside of the US and because it did it means that it sold more tickets because back then it NEEDED to sell more tickets to compare to today's numbers.

I mean, it's just logic by cross referencing the Box Office Mojo chart along with the money related worldwide chart.

Oh huh. Well glad I stopped in here. Will have to look into this.

I was wondering why I hadnt heard anything about a Shin Godzilla sequel though lol.
The shame of Shin 2 getting cancelled is that the ending of the film has such a fantastic hook for a sequel to go even further past the idea of what a Godzilla film can be, but knowing Anno, I get the feeling that he already bounced around some ideas to the suits over at Toho and they were looking like they just saw End of Evangelion for the first time.

That said, I'm not going to turn down something more traditional, especially since Toho has a big opportunity to make something far more consistent in terms of an overarching story than they've had in the past.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Opinions among fans are rather mixed actually. A shame as I enjoyed the movie and I'm looking forward to watching it again.

And yeah, this movie won't have great legs. I'd be happy to be wrong tho.
PostTrak and Cinemascore has been solid

On the upside, exits are great with solid PostTraks from last night in 4 1/2 stars from general audiences and 5 stars from families. King of the Monsters also gets a B+ CinemaScore which is the same grade as Legendary's 2014 Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island.

I loved it personally and have seen it twice so far.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, Endgame deserves to be the highest grossing movie with over 20 movies of buildup and the final performances of Chris Evans and RDJ more than Avatar which was basically a gimmick that somehow managed to resonate with people for like 5 seconds.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least, Endgame deserves to be the highest grossing movie with over 20 movies of buildup and the final performances of Chris Evans and RDJ more than Avatar which was basically a gimmick that somehow managed to resonate with people for like 5 seconds.

"Gimmick" lol

I liked both Endgame and AVATAR (saw Endgame 3 times) but even if I didn't like AVATAR I wouldn't call it a gimmick just because it may still hold the #1 spot over my favorite franchise in the world.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Gimmick" lol

I liked both Endgame and AVATAR (saw Endgame 3 times) but even if I didn't like AVATAR I wouldn't call it a gimmick just because it may still hold the #1 spot over my favorite franchise in the world.
It was absolutely a gimmick. The story and characters were bog standard with the marketing mostly focused on how groundbreaking the CGI was (which is always going to age no matter what) and the 3D. I saw the movie in theaters and had a great time as did everyone who saw it but don't pretend like the movie was anything more than that or that the movie really holds up beyond being ok at best. I guarantee people are going to look at Endgame a lot more fondly than Avatar.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think WOM will help it much at all. It's akin to the situation of Blade Runner 2049, except with much worse WOM. The audience that is there seems to like it well enough, but you're just not going to be getting much broad appeal even with people saying it's good.

The gifs on this page have been worthy of an award. We need more Trek gifs at all times.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling Endgame will start to lose screens way faster than IW.

I already see it happening in theaters near me.

Oct 27, 2017
It was absolutely a gimmick. The story and characters were bog standard with the marketing mostly focused on how groundbreaking the CGI was (which is always going to age no matter what) and the 3D. I saw the movie in theaters and had a great time as did everyone who saw it but don't pretend like the movie was anything more than that or that the movie really holds up beyond being ok at best. I guarantee people are going to look at Endgame a lot more fondly than Avatar.
"biggest cinematic cross-over event everrrrr!" is also a gimmick.

It's quite the feat and achievement, but its also a gimmick.

People have some weird hatred for this movie, man.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even at the time the consensus was that the script was straight out of the 90s and DTV quality stuff. With a smattering of outliers that misconstrued the concensus as hating on Avatar. It's still an anomaly to this day that someone genuinely likes and appreciates Avatar as a whole product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.