• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Damn that sucks. I stopped going to Regal after I realized that they're concessions were more expensive than Cinemark's and I would always watch everything in XD in Cinemark. Then I stopped going to every other theater chain except AMC due to A-List and it has been a blessing ever since. Dolby and IMAX all the time (lieMax) bit Dolby>IMAX anyways.

I went to school in KY for a bit. Stayed in Shelbyville. Beautiful state, plenty of land everywhere.
Shelbyville you say?

And jett , you know what film does have universal acclaim?
f17fceaa-7251-4d1d-bb4c-96b95c1629dd

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't appreciate Fury Road I suggest you find yourself another hobby, like playing make believe with marvel action figures.

I was actually gonna edit my post because I didn't want to get into this again, but you just fucked up right there.

That's literally what I just described... (ffs I watched it before even posting).

It's fine if you like Avatar though.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
agi2Yfw.png

Guess which movie does not have universal acclaim on Metacritic.

Some people's brains literally turn off when they think about Avatar, don't they.

My brains just fine mate, nothing you just posted contradicts what I said. Go take a look at the reviews and overall opinions on the film, specifically what its weakest point was. I guess we can file this as an example of someone (with an outlier like genuine appreciation of Avarar as a whole) interpreting critisms as 'hating on Avatar'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
God I'm so tired of talking about fucking Avatar and pretending it didn't defy everything even with a kinda wack opening weekend

It's a fun movie that hits on all cylinders + Cameron's fucking magic voodoo or whatever, it's both mind boggling and kinda logical that it's the final boss

Paddington can kiss my ass tho

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Deserves every bit of it.

Hell, yeah.
God I'm so tired of talking about fucking Avatar and pretending it didn't defy everything even with a kinda wack opening weekend

It's a fun movie that hits on all cylinders + Cameron's fucking magic voodoo or whatever, it's both mind boggling and kinda logical that it's the final boss

I have proof that you enjoyed Paddington though...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

avatar is only known for the box office and cameron. When was the last time it was quoted?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Avatar was groundbreaking in a lot of respects, especially in vfx, but it wasn't a movie that lends itself to watching it outside of theaters or even just re-watching it. I think that's why nobody talks about it besides its box office and the sequels.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
The mojo chart I posted was to be used as a reference for tickets sales not money made. The pictured chart I posted has to do with actual money and isn't adjusted for inflation which again, strengthens my point even more.

You better not be fucking with me lol
I'm sorry if my post comes across as fucking. I think it easy to misread tone from text.

That said, the mojo chart about ticket sales is not accurate. They just divided the total gross to average ticket price or something like that. And it's domestic.

About the picture chart it's actual money like you said, so it has no bearing on the argument about ticket sale because there are many other factors to consider between actual money and amount of ticket. Especially inflation and exchange rate.

It's no easy at all to check ticket sales/admission because many countries including the US do not release these information.

For countries with admission, I have information from South Korea about Avatar and Endgame:

Endgame: admission 13,831,771 total gross 104,015,033$ (for now but it wont change much)
Avatar: admission 13,624,328 total gross $111,345,404$

As you can see Avatar admission is lower than Endgame but gross more because exchange rate.

I made this post just to say that comparing ticket sales worldwide is not possible for us normal joe.

Edit: oh I just realize i confused between the mojo chart and the picture chart in the last post. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking Fury Road is overrated but stanning for Mahvel's nonstop barrage of factory-made mediocrity. Fury Road shits on all those 20+ movies put together from a great height.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Hell, yeah.

I have proof that you enjoyed Paddington though...

Not anymore you don't!

Avatar was groundbreaking in a lot of respects, especially in vfx, but it wasn't a movie that lends itself to watching it outside of theaters or even just re-watching it. I think that's why nobody talks about it besides its box office and the sequels.

Motherfucker nobody talks about it because EVERYBODY ALREADY SAW IT A DECADE AGO lol

And it obviously had hella repeat people, you don't get to 2.8 Billy without em

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar was a great theater experience, nothing more, nothing less.

Cameron has made better movies, but Avatar was tailor made to be experienced in theaters, its brilliant in that way.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if my post comes across as fucking. I think it easy to misread tone from text.

That said, the mojo chart about ticket sales is not accurate. They just divided the total gross to average ticket price or something like that. And it's domestic.

About the picture chart it's actual money like you said, so it has no bearing on the argument about ticket sale because there are many other factors to consider between actual money and amount of ticket. Especially inflation and exchange rate.

It's no easy at all to check ticket sales/admission because many countries including the US do not release these information.

For countries with admission, I have information from South Korea about Avatar and Endgame:

Endgame: admission 13,831,771 total gross 104,015,033$ (for now but it wont change much)
Avatar: admission 13,624,328 total gross $111,345,404$

As you can see Avatar admission is lower than Endgame but gross more because exchange rate.

I made this post just to say that comparing ticket sales worldwide is not possible for us normal joe.

Edit: oh I just realize i confused between the mojo chart and the picture chart in the last post. Sorry about that.
Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you meant now and you too have made a good point.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Avatar was literally a reference piece for videophiles on Blu Ray lol

It was that, Speed Racer, and Planet Earth

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I still have my panasonic 3D plasma from 2010. Sadly, never got the 3D player or glasses to utilize it, but it had superior picture quality for 2D which is why I went for it.
Now onto LG OLED. Gotta stay consistent for black levels and viewing angles at home.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What the hell is going on, end game not passing Avatar has seriously addled some minds. Your favourite movie isn't top grossing of all time, Jesus Christ move on. And then no matter what supported arguments are made apparently are incorrect because reasons. Only popular in theater, but best selling BluRay "yeah but!". No one ever talks about, a movie that came out a decade ago "yeah but!". It was always a bad movie, countless good reviews "yeah but!"

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i have a copy of the lion king 3D blu ray. I have never owned a 3D blu ray player or 3D tv.

And I now own a copy of the movie in 4K with no 4K tv or 4K blu ray player. Shits expensive, hopefully it'll not be expensive one day.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Batman gets a new actor and a trilogy and Superman loses a director and possibly a sequel. It's all going according to plan over at WB.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have my panasonic 3D plasma from 2010. Sadly, never got the 3D player or glasses to utilize it, but it had superior picture quality for 2D which is why I went for it.
Now onto LG OLED. Gotta stay consistent for black levels and viewing angles at home.

OLEDs where its at for movies, I would even buy Avatar if it came out in 4k UHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.