Oct 27, 2017
You're not allowed to make a complaint.

Uncle please sit

nXPruDN.gif

sansa.jpg

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
The sequel is more focused on the water benders. Maybe earth is for Avatar 3.

Oh right, right. James Cameron put all that money into water effects. I forgot.

So then was avatar 1 air? What would that make avatar 5 then?

I think that's the one where they use the force.

I haven't seen it either funny enough. I guess we're the only two that haven't.

I should get around to seeing it one of these days.

Oh hey! I'm not alone!

I'd see it if it's on one of the major streaming services.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Godzilla was the definition of dumb fun popcorn movie. Plot had some issues and was fairly incoherent l, especially for casual viewers, but damn if I didn't have a good time in there. Much better than the borefest that was Aladdin.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Exactly, based on statement by Feige and the Russos, Cap could have lifted the hammer all along but didn't want to hurt Thor's feelings.

Disney just cut the legs off of Endgame so that Cameron wouldn't be embarrassed and pack up his stuff and go snorkeling or whatever it is he does when he isn't making movies.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Godzilla is a lot of fun, if you like big monsters hitting each other this one delivers. That said I also really enjoyed Pacific Rim: Uprising so maybe fuck me and my opinion.

The marketing was all over the place for this movie though. This was one of the TV spots I saw this weekend before going to watch the movie:

Like, what the fuck happened to the classy piano thing they had going with the trailers? Anyway, as far as dumb human plot filler in Kaiju movies go, I felt like this was one of the better ones. Ken Watanabe, Kyle Chandler, and Millie Bobbie Brown turn in really good performances and they are fun to see on screen even if the plot itself is nonsense. Vera Farmiga's performance was weird. Like, I felt like I was seeing a confused actor whenever she would speak. Which is fair because her character and motivation make absolutely no sense. That said, Millie's character has a similarly confusing arc but she seems to just roll with it. I look forward to seeing her in more stuff in the future.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
LOL what the hell happened in this thread?

For all the gifs religiously deifying Nolan or Villeneuve, this is pretty much a direct re-enactment of what happens among directors and talkback every time Cameron drops a new film --

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine thinking Fury Road is overrated but stanning for Mahvel's nonstop barrage of factory-made mediocrity. Fury Road shits on all those 20+ movies put together from a great height.

Fury Road made about half as much money as Ant-Man 2 at the box office. It may shit on all the MCU movies from a great height in terms of quality as you say, but it failed at the very basic level of convincing people to go to the theaters and watch it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I knew console and phone warring was a thing.

But movie warring is a totally new concept to me holy shit lol.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Fury Road made about half as much money as Ant-Man 2 at the box office. It may shit on all the MCU movies from a great height in terms of quality as you say, but it failed at the very basic level of convincing people to go to the theaters and watch it.
Is there a worst post on Box-office ERA contest going on or something?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So did Blade Runner 2049 but we aren't talking about that. In fact there are A LOT of these examples but I don't see the point in listing them.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so good, you surpassed being basic.

In all seriousness, I don't know what the marketing could have done to make it look anymore attractive.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a worst post on Box-office ERA contest going on or something?

I don't dispute the movie's quality. However, its underwhelming box office performance is a fact. Isn't it?

So did Blade Runner 2049 but we aren't talking about that. In fact there are A LOT of these examples but I don't see the point in listing them.

The point is that Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049 and indeed a lot of other good movies didn't manage to attract enough of an audience to the theaters. The MCU's popularity isn't something easily achieved.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't dispute the movie's quality. However, its underwhelming box office performance is a fact. Isn't it?

The point is that Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049 AMD indeed a lot of other good movies didn't manage to attract enough of an audience to the theaters. The MCU's popularity isn't something easily achieved.

I get that but:

70 or so years of established characters throughout different mediums will certainly help, in comparison to original films such as AVATAR which is king of the WW box office.

But what's the point of pointing that out? I'm sure we can all agree quality>quantity right?

Look how John Wick blew up for reference. It didn't have that Disney/Marvel appeal and it has done great for itself.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I get that but:

70 or so years of established characters throughout different mediums will certainly help, in comparison to original films such as AVATAR which is king of the WW box office.

But what's the point of pointing that out? I'm sure we can all agree quality>quantity right?

Look how John Wick blew up for reference. It didn't have that Disney/Marvel appeal and it has done great for itself.

Fully agreed. John Wick did what Fury Road and BR 2049 could not. It pulled in enough of an audience to justify its budget and theater release. Any movie that does that, any movie, deserves some amount of respect. Even movies that I personally consider total garbage like the Transformers sequels.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fully agreed. John Wick did what Fury Road and BR 2049 could not. It pulled in enough of an audience to justify its budget and theater release. Any movie that does that, any movie, deserves some amount of respect. Even movies that I personally consider total garbage like the Transformers sequels.
Wick 3 had good WoM from years of buildup, nevermind the memes and shit. Fortnite collab probably helped a little too.
BR2049 and FR may be "sequels" but they were totally isolated from the rest of their franchise.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs to pull in MCU levels of money to be respected. We can be disappointed in it's box office run but that's different.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Wick 3 had good WoM from years of buildup, nevermind the memes and shit. Fortnite collab probably helped a little too.
BR2049 and FR may be "sequels" but they were totally isolated from the rest of their franchise.

So maybe that's one of the reasons that they failed at the box office. It's not just marketing but also a variety of other factors, including the one you mentioned. I know that when a good movie fails or a bad movie succeeds, our instinct is to say "audiences are dumb" but I think it's never as simple as that.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
If there is only Fury Road or MCU, I choose MCU everytime.
I rather have more than 20 movie from wide range mediocre to good to watch than great one 20 times then masturbath over the idea of greatness.

Oh wait, we dont need to choose.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Avatar is James Cameron's worst real movie, (Piranha 2: The Spawning doesn't count), that's not to say it's bad it's just kind of average. It was a technical marvel and looked amazing in 3D, but as a film, it rang hollow for me. I think he was too focused on the technical aspects, I was wowed by that more than the actual content of scenes. I'd have loved Cameron to come back with a new Terminator movie that was more like the original, small scale, nasty and gritty. A sequel to True Lies with Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis as aged spies on their final mission before retirement. Instead he's doing Avatar sequels, and that kind of bums me out. Maybe he'll inject it with some great Cameron action and make it work, make it memorable, I hope so, I can barely remember a damn thing about Avatar while I can remember a bunch of his earlier work. I don't doubt the next Avatar will do well, it's a new James Cameron movie. Even if it wasn't a sequel to a box office monster it'd still get a shit-ton of interest based on that alone. He could release a 3 hour epic about carpet samples and it'd make a billion, that's part of the reason for the original's huge success.

Status
Not open for further replies.