Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the demand were there it wouldn't be shedding screens faster than Infinity War.
Can we now go back to mocking Godzilla and prepping for Dark Phoenix to bomb?
The faster it sheds screens the faster it makes room for more screens

giphy.gif

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
"later"

When?

"less in theaters"

What is less? When?

"extra money so wouldn't be meaningless"

How much do you it costs to for them to put the movie back in theaters and how much would you expect it to make on a re-rerelease?
I'm saying if they would schedule for it to be rereleased it would be in a date that doesn't conflicts with there other movies, and I would expect a re-release a Avengers Endgame to at least be profitable

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
August would be a nice re-release / expansion window, culminating with one last push by Labor Day. But some just don't want to even entertain the idea of that happening for ~reasons~. :)

I won't waste my time because it is over. Pack it up guys, give up Disney, it's dead Jim.
Yes it is over. 2nd place isn't bad for Endgame

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What numbers are we expecting SLOP 2 to open at? The first one somehow made $880 Million worldwide. Is this one looking to be in the same ball park, lower or higher?

It's probably taking first this week because Lol Dark Phoenix, but is it going to be doing around Aladdin numbers?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I'm saying if they would schedule for it to be rereleased it would be in a date that doesn't conflicts with there other movies, and I would expect a re-release a Avengers Endgame to at least be profitable

Okay, but again

When is that date? You can look at their box office schedule same as everyone else. Tell me when that magical date is.

Do you have any idea how much re-releases typically make?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Reissues of event films in theaters pulled in money like 7 years ago when they could slap 3D onto it and bring in more cash. But a reminder of just how big some reissues of other beloved event films have gone in the last few years:

3h8g2Z6.jpg

ugHV5Pc.jpg

Dhj0qA3.jpg

J4OfvmG.jpg

43rcj3c.png

And that Dark Knight gross was piggybacking off Dark Knight Rises too.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with WB this year and all these soft openings? After 2018, a year where they couldn't miss, they have solid but unspectacular openings for LEGO 2, Shazam, Detective Pikachu and now Godzilla KOTM.

I think that Endgame casting a long shadow at the box office can explain some of the soft numbers but not all. I think WB will see Shazam's numbers as win but DP (finishing over $400m worldwide) could he harder to look upon as favourable even if they were the minority financier.

If Godzilla 2 has similar legs to Godzilla 2014 and finishes under $100m domestic that would be a disaster especially as they try and drum up interest for GvK next year.
There's a very real chance that Aquaman ends up as one of their 5 highest grossing movies this calendar year and potentially the only one in the top 5 not released under New Line.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Reissues of event films in theaters pulled in money like 7 years ago when they could slap 3D onto it and bring in more cash. But a reminder of just how big some reissues of other beloved event films have gone in the last few years:

3h8g2Z6.jpg

ugHV5Pc.jpg

Dhj0qA3.jpg

J4OfvmG.jpg

43rcj3c.png

And that Dark Knight gross was piggybacking off Dark Knight Rises too.
Neither these films are what Endgame or Avatar are. But it's a fool's errand to keep engaging on these arguments. Endgame is still in theaters, it is still playing and it's estimated $74m away of Avatar. It has been barely a month, other than the drama, I've enjoyed the run a lot, and it's clear that it's far from over.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I will just post data, my opinion and that's it.
But your data is usually inaccurate or fails to take in the bigger scope of things
Neither these films are what Endgame or Avatar are. But it's a fool's errand to keep engaging on these arguments. Endgame is still in theaters, it is still playing and it's estimated $74m away of Avatar. It has been barely a month, other than the drama, I've enjoyed the run a lot, and it's clear that it's far from over.
See, this is why you get dunked on.

You say shit like "I will just post data" and then when someone posts data that contradicts your stance you default to "but that data doesnt matter because Avengers has magical movie dust sprinkled on it"

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
There's a very real chance that Aquaman ends up as one of their 5 highest grossing movies this calendar year and potentially the only one in the top 5 not released under New Line.

I think Joker gets in there but I do see your point. New Line has something like 9 releases this year which doesn't seem like that much of a stretch given that the new head of WB, Toby Emmerich, used to run New Line having been there before it was absorbed into Warners proper.

I think that IT Chapter 2 will do even better than the first film as it basically has the first three weeks of September all to itself.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You also post predictions and people challenge those predictions, whats wrong with that.
When it is running im circles and dealing in absolutes, it's non-sense. I have said time and time again that even if Endgame doesn't top Avatar, it still is making a spectacular run. Calling it now that it's over is premature, and I expect the actuals that are coming later today to keep proving that. Discussions that run in circles are absolutely not enjoyable for me. Have fun tho.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, but again

When is that date? You can look at their box office schedule same as everyone else. Tell me when that magical date is.

Do you have any idea how much re-releases typically make?
First I'm not expecting a rerelease to make much but I'm also not expecting the gap to be much ether

Second I don't know the schedule for all the Disney releases but I'd imagine they'd have room next year or this year, like they don't release big box office smash hits every two weeks, some of there movies are going to end up underperforming

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swore for my own sanity that I won't be entering in pointless arguments and drama here. Endgame can still get a re-release. I still think it can top Avatar.

My 2 cents. Now you can go back to the dunking thread or the Cameron thread or whatever these threads are nowadays. I will just post data, my opinion and that's it.
Here's the thing man. You keep moving goal posts and use "it's part of tracking box office" to justify it. No one has an issue with you in other threads (I assume) it's just what you say in here it seems.

Here's something you've said in the past numerous times "Endgame will do better and continue to have better legs than IW, there's data to back this" when in fact the data itself has shown quite the opposite.

This is why I have stated a few times that your posts here in relation to Endgame are filled with fanboism and not actual "data" or logic. And the thing is is that you have repeatedly doubled down on a lot of these scenarios.

Since now you see that Endgame is in fact not following closely to IW's legs and it continues to be the Avenger movie with the worst legs in the history of Avengers, now you're moving your goal posts to OS-C "over performing" and picking up what Endgame couldn't do domestically.

This is the issue people have with you here I believe.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Tracking says $70M
It won't make $880M worldwide with Toy Story 4 and The Lion King consuming all the oxygen.
This is the first time (or one of the few) that a Pixar movie is going to cut the legs out from under Illumination. Usually it is the other way around. Usually Illumination comes in about two to three weeks after Pixar, and this time SLoP2 is gonna have two weekend to itself before Toy Story comes in and steamrolls everything.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
First I'm not expecting a rerelease to make much but I'm also not expecting the gap to be much ether

Second I don't know the schedule for all the Disney releases but I'd imagine they'd have room next year or this year, like they don't release big box office smash hits every two weeks, some of there movies are going to end up underperforming

Their entire schedule for the next five years is out there. If you can't be bothered to do the bare minimum research before posting, maybe you shouldn't post.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
But your data is usually inaccurate or fails to take in the bigger scope of things

See, this is why you get dunked on.

You say shit like "I will just post data" and then when someone posts data that contradicts your stance you default to "but that data doesnt matter because Avengers has magical movie dust sprinkled on it"
I have come to terms that I "get dunked on" because I "get dunked on", even not posting on the thread. I disagree with the assessment, it's my opinion, because these films unlike Endgame, Avatar and Titanic aren't really as big of a box office draw. Stop trying to make me feel guilty for thinking differently than you. It's not an argument to win. Endgame will have a re-release if Disney decides so. If we can't even entertain the discussion without people calling it completely unreasonable, let's discuss I don't know, Godzilla.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now that it's over is premature, and I expect the actuals that are coming later today to keep proving that.
Again, any time someone counters you with raw data you reply with "pure magic" and then shift the goal posts because you refuse to even look at the possibility that you might be wrong. What are you going to do when the actuals reaffirm what everyone else has been saying?

At this point I'm starting to think you aren't even engaging in honest discussion here and are just trying to troll people.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
When it is running im circles and dealing in absolutes, it's non-sense. I have said time and time again that even if Endgame doesn't top Avatar, it still is making a spectacular run. Calling it now that it's over is premature, and I expect the actuals that are coming later today to keep proving that. Discussions that run in circles are absolutely not enjoyable for me. Have fun tho.
Speaking of running in circles, this is the same argument you have tried a few times.

I think Zatt is giving up on the box office threads here. Not trying to stay on a thread I don't feel welcome.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Speaking of running in circles, this is the same argument you have tried a few times.

Nah. I like to talk box office, I will keep sharing data, just like I've been doing when I can. I'm just done with the banter and the arguments. They are to me pointless. I want to enjoy talking about box office, it's simple. When I can, I will. I'm happy with my daily updates and sharing data when I can.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they do an IW/Endgame double feature with some special footage but even that probably wouldn't make up the difference.

I'm sure theaters would love to book nearly six-hour showings for a movie that people have largely stopped being interested in watching, instead of giving that slot to multiple showings of The Lion King or whatever.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fury Road made about half as much money as Ant-Man 2 at the box office. It may shit on all the MCU movies from a great height in terms of quality as you say, but it failed at the very basic level of convincing people to go to the theaters and watch it.
What does this have to do with the conversation of whether fury road is overrated?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Domestically, The Dark Knight was the first movie since Titanic that crossed the 500M mark. It got closer to the at-the-time numero uno than Endgame will (in regards to TFA). It was a big deal.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
All of the unresolved threads in KotM are clearly there to be resolved in Kong vs Godzilla. Spoilers:

You can't exactly have Godzilla and Kong kill each other, they are too bankable. Hence, Mecha-Ghidorah.

Its just teases but someone was taking snaps of all the newspaper clippings during the credits to slow down and read them all, there is tons of things teased which I kinda doubt would fit in one movie. Think they just laid down some teases for potential future sequels if they ever happened. I'm sure GvK will be the end of this series though

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm sure theaters would love to book nearly six-hour showings for a movie that people have largely stopped being interested in watching, instead of giving that slot to multiple showings of The Lion King or whatever.
Yeah, that $1000 or less that screen would get over 6 hours would be a great idea for theaters. They could cram 2 screenings of Lion King or even Dora since it is out in August and pull in more money.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's the end of July. Endgame has missed the #1 spot by a few million. Cameron grins smugly: he won. He is still the king of the box office.

Disney announces an extension of Endgame's theater run. Cameron laughs again: There's no way the movie has enough juice left to pass his film.

Feige calls a press conference. He walks calmly to the podium. "Endgame's re-release will contain two after-credits scenes. One X-Men related, one FF related".

Cameron receives a call. It's Feige. He says five words and hangs up. "I hope they remember you".

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Great movies don't always get people to come out in droves for them. By that same standard, Booksmart is hot garbage because it only made ~14M. The simple truth of the Box Office is that results are generally separate from the actual quality of a film.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I like to talk box office, I will keep sharing data, just like I've been doing when I can. I'm just done with the banter and the arguments. They are to me pointless. I want to enjoy talking about box office, it's simple. When I can, I will. I'm happy with my daily updates and sharing data when I can.
ZattMurdock I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say that we want you to be in these threads and discuss things with us. But, like, dude, you perpetuate a lot of the endless discussion and arguments because you have a long history of doubling down, dipping into the hyperbole well, and shifting the goal posts when it's becoming obvious that you are wrong about something. People have been using the actuals to show that Endgame has been falling off at a faster rate than Infinity War did and that Endgame surpassing Avatar has become less and less likely with each passing day, and all you do is backpedal and say that something that boils down to "well this week the actuals will be different" and give zero evidence as to why there's going to be a sudden resurgence in Endgame viewership.

Then you backpedal into suggesting that Endgame could see an August re-release. Following that people point out that every modern re-release of any major movie doesn't bring in enough money to think Endgame could use that to surpass Avatar, and you respond with "Well Endgame and Avatar are different so the data and trends don't apply to them". This isn't data or any kind of analysis grounded in reality, you're literally responding with random intangibles that can't be quantified in any sense. And it ends up making you look like you aren't even discussing things in good faith any more.

Like, if you just took a second to breathe and maybe admit that once and a while you are wrong it would go a long ways. Everybody in this thread has predicted something, had said prediction blow up in their face, and then had to eat a little crow afterwards about it. We know you're hopeful that Endgame will pass Avatar and I honestly respect your optimism about it, but you clearly have a problem being able to separate your optimism and hopefulness from your ability to look at things objectively

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Their entire schedule for the next five years is out there. If you can't be bothered to do the bare minimum research before posting, maybe you shouldn't post.
Excuse me for not memorizing there entire movie schedule but I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that there's no room in the next couple years to re-release one of there biggest box office success, if you're going to give me attitude for having the audacity to assuming that Multi Billion dollar company can schedule a rerelease then I have nothing more to say to you

And yeah looking at the schedule
Late August 2019
Ant time in September 2019
Early October 2019
Any time in January 2020
Any time in February 2020
Early March 2020
Early July 2020
And August and October 2020 are times I can see a rerelease possible, and that's just looking at the next 2 years

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me for not memorizing there entire movie schedule but I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that there's no room in the next couple years to re-release one of there biggest box office success, if you're going to give me attitude for having the audacity to assuming that Multi Billion dollar company can schedule a rerelease then I have nothing more to say to you

Late August 2019
Early October 2019
Any time in January 2020
Early March 2020
Early July 2020
And August and October 2020 are times I can see a rerelease possible, and that's just looking at the next 2 years
no to August because of late run Lion King.
no to October because that would step on toes of them being all in on Frozen and Star Wars marketing.
no to Jan 2020 because that is still part of TROSs main run.

I would love to know how much you expect Endgame to make in 2020 once it's already on streaming.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Also about movie re-releases. If a movie has millions of people watch a movie just 6 months ago why would they rush to the theatre to watch it again during the re-release? I can understand Oscar movies getting re-released because not a lot of people have watched these movies and have low movie grosses. Therefore when their is Oscar buzz people will want to watch these movies for the first time. But if everyone has seen Endgame who cares that it is getting re-released.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

Late August 2019
Early October 2019
Any time in January 2020
Early March 2020
Early July 2020
Late August will have the tail end of Hobbs and Shaw playing. Early September has IT Chapter 2 opening, which is going to be big.
Early October has Joker and Woman in the Window opening. Mid October has Maleficent.

Even if all of those films aren't Disney or Fox, the others are going to still be monopolizing the screens available.

Again, they could reissue it, but would it pull in enough money at that point to even be worth the expense?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Late August 2019
Early October 2019
Any time in January 2020
Early March 2020
Early July 2020

I'm not expecting you to memorize Disney's schedule. However, if you're coming into a thread to talk about a re-release I expect you to have put in the effort looking at their box office schedule close enough to be able to talk intelligently about the subject. If you haven't put in that leg work, don't be surprised when you get called out for it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
What does this have to do with the conversation of whether fury road is overrated?

It doesn't. I didn't like the Marvel jab and I was responding to that.

Great movies don't always get people to come out in droves for them. By that same standard, Booksmart is hot garbage because it only made ~14M. The simple truth of the Box Office is that results are generally separate from the actual quality of a film.

True, but a failure to resonate with the target audience is in my opinion indicative of some sort of fault.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
There's basically no window from now until, like, roughly February where Disney could re-release Avengers that wouldn't be either stepping on the toes of one of their other movies or running head first into a major new release that would overshadow it. And by then Endgame is going to be available on Bluray, so the appeal of going to a theater to see it is even further diminished.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think Joker gets in there but I do see your point. New Line has something like 9 releases this year which doesn't seem like that much of a stretch given that the new head of WB, Toby Emmerich, used to run New Line having been there before it was absorbed into Warners proper.

I think that IT Chapter 2 will do even better than the first film as it basically has the first three weeks of September all to itself.
Joker should open fairly big I expect but I also bet that it will be a profoundly unpleasant film (think Hangover 3) and that its legs will be shit.
Now it's not a traditional blockbuster of course. But even on its own smaller scale I think it could disappoint.
I do hope I'm wrong though. I've never been on board with the idea of a solo Joker film but I quite liked the trailer.

Nothing I said really goes against your point but I just felt like talking about Joker :P

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not expecting you to memorize Disney's schedule. However, if you're coming into a thread to talk about a re-release I expect you to have put in the effort looking at their box office schedule close enough to be able to talk intelligently about the subject. If you haven't put in that leg work, don't be surprised when you get called out for it here.
All I said was that I assume Disney can find a date, it's not an outlandish assumption, heck it's more outlandish to think they can't

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
There's basically no window from now until, like, roughly February where Disney could re-release Avengers that wouldn't be either stepping on the toes of one of their other movies or running head first into a major new release that would overshadow it. And by then Endgame is going to be available on Bluray, so the appeal of going to a theater to see it is even further diminished.
And Disney+ as well, because you know they are going to use it as an incentive to get people on that service.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah but it would have to compete with the now improved version of the sonic movie in February.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
also, people have seen it, why go see it again
i don't think the soidey bumb is going to be what people think it is
endgame is a 3 hr movie, theaters have seriously low incentive to keeo many screens and showings if it isn't bringing money, which it won't be by late june ( before spidey )

Status
Not open for further replies.