Status
Not open for further replies.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Here we are thinking Endgame's legs were bad but it's starting to seem like movie ticket sales for blockbusters are down across the board.
Is Aladdin the only summer-blockbuster to meet or overperform projections?

Endgame is overperforming projections. Everyone knew it would be big, no one realistically thought it'd end up with $100M of Avatar.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here we are thinking Endgame's legs were bad but it's starting to seem like movie ticket sales for blockbusters are down across the board.
I would say Wick, Aladdin, & Endgame overperformed. Godzilla and Pokemon underperformed.

Basically, it is this: People go see movies they want to see, skip ones they don't want to see. There is no downward trend or anything.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We all just went crazy when Endgame came out with such ridiculous numbers.

It still did 2.7 billion and that's massive.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
DQ83wueX4AAuvw8.jpg

How many good franchises are left?

How many stayed that way?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would say Wick, Aladdin, & Endgame overperformed. Godzilla and Pokemon underperformed.

Basically, it is this: People go see movies they want to see, skip ones they don't want to see. There is no downward trend or anything.

Did Aladdin really overperform though? If I were Disney, looking at how much Beauty and the Beast made, and then looking at how much Aladdin is projected to make, would I be happy?

It's also got a 183 Million budget, at present it's looking like it's probably going to be just a bit over breaking even.

Not like Disney is going to complain too much when they are very likely going to have 1st, 2nd and 3rd for the Summer Box Office with Endgame, Lion King and Toy Story.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
A few people on here shat on me for saying it would comfortably outgross The Force Awakens WW and this was just a few weeks before release. When it comes to predicting the BO on here, there are a shitload of bad takes.
Oh wow, I had no idea. I knew it would beat it's WW gross as soon as I read how fast those tickets were selling out.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Did Aladdin really overperform though? If I were Disney, looking at how much Beauty and the Beast made, and then looking at how much Aladdin is projected to make, would I be happy?

It's also got a 183 Million budget, at present it's looking like it's probably going to be just a bit over breaking even.

Not like Disney is going to complain too much when they are very likely going to have 1st, 2nd and 3rd for the Summer Box Office with Endgame, Lion King and Toy Story.
Aladdin was expected to open below Solo and drop off immediately but it opened higher than Solo and has had really good legs so far.

It has a good shot at $300m domestic, which is nearly double what was expected before release.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Wick did.

It doubled the last ones opening.

True, I forgot about John Wick 3. I do remember reading an article saying that ticket sales are down YoY and that would make sense given all the "bombas" we've seen so far. I mostly say this because I pegged SLOP 2 as a guarantee for a $100M DOM opening and if it comes in at half that then that seems very telling.

Edit: Yeah, according to BOMojo, sales are down 7.8% YoY.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?view2=ytdcompare&view=releasedate&p=.htm

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we all knew this would be true.

We knew it. Since we saw the very first trailer we did. Hopes and beliefs to the contrary were generally an engagement in self-deception.

And so Fox's X-Men finally die. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. A proper reflection of their entire dry and unmemorable run with this storied franchise.

Here's to better days to come.
It's had so many highs and lows and made people's careers. Hard to think where Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds would be without the X-Men.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
There's a new international trailer for the lion king and its super cute. It shows a lot more young simba and mufasa plus we get to hear the new young simba for the first time.

Not posting it cause' I just know people here are going to trash it.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new international trailer for the lion king and its super cute. It shows a lot more young simba and mufasa plus we get to hear the new young simba for the first time.

Not posting it cause' I just know people here are going to trash it.
Just post it. Because you just made me waste 2 minutes looking for it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the X-Men franchise was doing pretty well not that long ago Days of Future Past + Logan were very well received and then you had Deadpool spinning off into a huge success.

For whatever reason they just shat the bed with the last two movies.

If you don't have a good script, you really have nothing.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
One thing i've noticed is that Simba and Nala aren't in an elephant graveyard anymore.

The area they are in reminds me of the place where the lions from tlk2 lived (kovu, zira, vitani, nuka, etc)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
The movie looks absolutely gorgeous , that's not a question. Yeah the colors are muted but it still looks pretty beautiful.

The problem is when there's any character on character interaction, it just doesn't look organic at all...looks off.

Whenever Simba is doing anything at all , his expression and emote looks absolutely the same.

Been harping on this but Jungle Book works soooo much better because it has a human character. Maybe I'll be wrong when it comes out but nothing at all has swayed my feelings on the character interactions yet.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I really hope they nail The Lion King remake because the original animated one is literally my fave Disney animated movie and even if it's not as good it should be a good movie!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's a color thief on the loose. First Solo now Lion King.

He must be stopped at all costs or The Giver is our new reality

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
We've barely seen anything besides a few short out of context clips. I'm not too worried yet.

Besides, I think the new babby simba is super adorable so i'm a bit biased....

Oct 31, 2017
I'm impressed with Aladdin. Already close to 500MM WW and 200MM domestic. After the first trailer I was thinking 160MM domestic and 350-400MM WW. It's looking like it'll do 600-700MM.

For fun this is what I think the top 5 will be for the rest of the year domestic:

1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 720m
2. The Lion King - 575m
3. Frozen 2 - 545m
4. Toy Story 4 - 490m
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home - 420m

I need Frozen 2 to do less than 426,239,002 domestic. Everything else can stay. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2017

Uhhh Endgame way overperformed. Going into opening weekend most people didn't think $300 million was physically even possible due to run time and that $280 was the ceiling. The highest grossing weekend when factoring in all movie grosses was at $318 million. But it alone crushed both records. Not only that but we thought it would barely get 1 billion worldwide OW it even crushed that record.

Before the fastes movie to 1 billion was IW at 11 days, and the fastest to 2 billion was Avatar at 47 days. Endgame did 2 billion in 10 days. This is some wild out there record smashing never before seen.

But all people care about is Avatar.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Overall attendance has been dropping for some time, and we've never seen a 300m opener. It's irresponsible to contextualize endgames legs as bad without doing some math work to make projections or having more movies opening in that range to compare against.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017

Personally I think Aladdin both is both overperforming based on reception from trailers + critics and underperforming from its fullest potential lol

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Overall attendance has been dropping for some time, and we've never seen a 300m opener. It's irresponsible to contextualize endgames legs as bad without doing some math work to make projections or having more movies opening in that range to compare against.
Why are you taking my half serious post so seriously lol

Status
Not open for further replies.