Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Went and saw booksmart based off of the reception here. I've been burned by y'all's opinions before by oxenfree, but you didn't let me down with this movie.

Really liked it!

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Went and saw booksmart based off of the reception here. I've been burned by y'all's opinions before by oxenfree, but you didn't let me down with this movie.

Really liked it!
Welcome to the club. There's beer and chocolate covered strawberries in the back. Be sure to grab a gift bag.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your answers. The reason is that unadjusted lists make no sense to me, so inaccurate lists are better than nothing. Something that reflects # of tickets sold at least a little.

No one outside of the studios themselves has an accurate tickets sold number, the adjusted lists are mostly BS because they assume that every movie that comes out in the same year has the same ticket price (guess what? They don't), and the reason Hollywood doesn't give out that number is because they care more about profitability than number of butts in seats, which is more a way of saying "my movie is better than your movie" than anything else. In the countries that actually do use a tickets sold metric, it's the usually the theaters themselves that put together that number.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
And for a very recent reason why using tickets sold vs money is shit, just look at the difference between a regular 2d showing, 3D showing, imax, and Dolby showing prices on the same day. Very different prices per ticket even today.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
No one outside of the studios themselves has an accurate tickets sold number, the adjusted lists are mostly BS because they assume that every movie that comes out in the same year has the same ticket price (guess what? They don't), and the reason Hollywood doesn't give out that number is because they care more about profitability than number of butts in seats, which is more a way of saying "my movie is better than your movie" than anything else. In the countries that actually do use a tickets sold metric, it's the usually the theaters themselves that put together that number.
Sure the studios prefer to post new record numbers all the time.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it is what I want to see.

Adjusted numbers may be inaccurate, but they are much closer to actual ticket sales regardless. It might not make much difference in the Avatar vs. Avengers discussion, but talking about Gone with the wind etc. the difference ticket sales/unadjusted gross is, well, gross.

Like comparing todays british pound to the time when it actually was worth one pound of sterling silver.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Oy. Are we really explaining again why it's incredibly silly to account for inflation? Don't forget to account for Hitler.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Remember when some people here thought Endgame wouldn't even outgross Infinity War?
I didn't think it would, and i remember seeing some(fairly credible) websites and critics explain why they didn't think it would. IIRC it was that post cliffhanger films tend to do worse than the original, the crowded film schedule, Infinity War (obviously) had a great run, the overhyping of Pikachu(fair to say it's massively underperformed v what the majority thought) and no-one was sure how they would market it given they had already used the whole 'The end of the MCU line'.

I'm glad, i was so so wrong, what a run so far.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Sure the studios prefer to post new record numbers all the time.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it is what I want to see.

Adjusted numbers may be inaccurate, but they are much closer to actual ticket sales regardless. It might not make much difference in the Avatar vs. Avengers discussion, but talking about Gone with the wind etc. the difference ticket sales/unadjusted gross is, well, gross.

Like comparing todays british pound to the time when it actually was worth one pound of sterling silver.

Comparing anything released in the past 30 years to Gone With the Wind is extra dumb, seeing as before the advent of TV, movies took up an entirely different place in the realm of popular entertainment (there was no other competition except theater, and only then if you were in a major city, and movies would be in and out of theaters for years). The eras are so different as to make the actual numbers completely unimportant.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Obviously we can't use tickets sold because we don't have the data but I can see why people want to use that metric. It tells you how many people actually went and saw a movie rather than just how much money it made (which is really more for the studios).

Ultimately though the only reliable metric we have is straight box office data and that's the only one that really makes sense to use (even if there are flaws).

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
I'm going to see Rocketman in a few hours. My local theater already stopped showing it :( but there's a theater a distance away showing it.

I ain't missing this movie for the world.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a super simple example of why most adjusted for inflation numbers are even wrong for modern movies:

What do you think sold more tickets, A Star is Born or Mission Impossible: Fallout? How about Bohemian Rhapsody or Ant-Man and the Wasp?

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see Dark Phoenix's numbers. Disney really might get its 3 wishes.

hodayathink i don't know this one. Who is she lol

I didn't think it would, and i remember seeing some(fairly credible) websites and critics explain why they didn't think it would. IIRC it was that post cliffhanger films tend to do worse than the original, the crowded film schedule, Infinity War (obviously) had a great run, the overhyping of Pikachu(fair to say it's massively underperformed v what the majority thought) and no-one was sure how they would market it given they had already used the whole 'The end of the MCU line'.

I'm glad, i was so so wrong, what a run so far.

Eh, IW was marketed as the biggest crossover event in history, not as the end of the MCU. Everyone and their mother knew a Part II was coming a year later.

They reserved that "the end of it all" ploy for EG.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Dark Phoenix tonight so I can get that commemorative keychain haha. If Fandango hadn't sent me a $5 credit I would have skipped it but what the hell.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Buy your Dark Phoenix collectible t-shirt and hang it next to your Dark Universe collectible t-shirt.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Your new avatar almost makes the all-caps redundant. I just hear her angry robotic voice.
I should have left the theater after they handed me a pass for another movie after I walked in for Dark Phoenix. It was a sign. 'Wash the taste of Dark Phoenix out of your mouth with this movie about aids in San Francisco.'

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Can't wait to see Dark Phoenix's numbers. Disney really might get its 3 wishes.

hodayathink i don't know this one. Who is she lol

Eh, IW was marketed as the biggest crossover event in history, not as the end of the MCU. Everyone and their mother knew a Part II was coming a year later.

They reserved that "the end of it all" ploy for EG.
Maybe not the end of it all, but they definitely went with a 'It's all been leading to this' vibe.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you guys remember in Game of Thrones when Robb Stark became the King in the North, and we all cheered But then he died and we all got depressed, then Jon Snow became the next and we all got fucking hype again?

Well Endgame is Robb Stark, and it died, but the lion king is Jon Snow and Avatar is gonna down boys!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
So you guys remember in Game of Thrones when Robb Stark became the King in the North, and we all cheered But then he died and we all got depressed, then Jon Snow became the next and we all got fucking hype again?

Well Endgame is Robb Stark, and it died, but the lion king is Jon Snow and Avatar is gonna down boys!
You must not have watched season 8 if you are making this comparison lol

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Season 8? As I recall the show ended at season 6.
giphy.gif

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Toy Story 4 is going to make more oW than Pikachu will in its lifetime.
Speaking of TS4, what is the short term tracking look like now?

Meanwhile ERA was calling this a lukewarm hit...

I have still yet to see it but seriously congrats to Disney for pulling it off. For a second there it looked like they were doing to miss a slam dunk but now it seems like they can salvage a layup out of it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested, if possible, to see the demographic breakdowns for Aladdin. When they first announced it, I figured it would be huge with millennials (in retrospect it'll probably be Lion King that eats off this demo) who remember the original, but then the footage started to hit and they seemed to have the biggest backlash against it. I wonder if it's just doing really well with younger kids who have no real memory or fondness of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.