• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

KyGN7qX.png

YUleLVO.png

LBquBII.png

jVAfOXr.png

ojuqWr6.png

'Mission' Notches Best 2nd Weekend For Franchise With $35M; 'Christopher Robin' No Eeyore With $25M

Paramount is reporting a second $35M for its Skydance co-production of Mission: Impossible – Fallout, which is easily the best second weekend for the Tom Cruise franchise. Depending on how you slice and dice it, M:I: Ghost Protocol had a funky platform release during the 2011 holiday season, going wide in its second weekend with 3,448. That said, the second weekend here of Fallout at $35M beats the second ($29.55M) and third weekend ($29.4M) of Ghost Protocol. Domestic currently stands at $124.4M, pacing 16% ahead of Rogue Nation through 10 days. Fallout saw a 49% increase on Saturday from Friday, and overall, the hold was -43%, besting Rogue Nation's -49%.

Disney is calling Christopher Robin at $25M, which as we mentioned previously is better than Pete's Dragon, Disney's previous August feature adaptation of one of its vault classics, plus in a few days stateside will beat the entire global run of the last 2011 feature toon Winnie-the-Pooh ($33.1M). Robin's opening also is in sync with Sony's Peter Rabbit ($25M opening, $115M domestic) and higher than 2015's Paddington ($18.9M, $76.2M domestic). The studio's Marvel Black Panther finally hit $700M after 25 weekends in the theater, and ranks as not only the highest MCU movie ever at the domestic B.O., but the third highest after Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.6M) and Fox's Avatar ($760.5M).

Disney reports that families repped 60% of Christopher Robin's business this weekend, however PostTrak shows that it's adults leading the way with 55% general, 30% kids, and 15% parents. When you back out the $1.5M Thursday previews from Robin's $9.4M Friday (hence $7.9M), Saturday was slightly up for the Disney pic at 9%, but not in the way that Pete's Dragon spiked (it didn't have previews) between its Friday-to-Saturday at +21% and Peter Rabbit which saw an enormous +97% surge in its first days, also sans Thursday previews. Again, whether it's the kids or parents leading the charge here, Christopher Robin is a feather in Disney's extension of its estimated $6 billion Winnie the Pooh universe.

Lionsgate is reporting a blase $12.3M for the R-Rated female action comedy The Spy Who Dumped Me. The pic cost around $40M with more than half the budget funded by foreign sales. The Hitman's Bodyguard, Spy Who Dumped is not. That movie Ryan Reynolds-Samuel L. Jackson summer comedy opened to $21.5M and legged out to $75.4M last summer. Typically Lionsgate will preview the summer titles they're excited about at CinemaCon, re: Hitman's Bodyguard, so when they showed up this spring without an early cut for Spy Who Dumped Me, we had our suspicions (that said, the comedy's stars Kate McKinnon and Mila Kunis were certainly there promoting onstage). And Fox's YA feature The Darkest Minds is encountering the darkest ticket sales of the weekend's wide entries with $5.8M. We deconstructed in the previous update what went sideways here: They're both been-there-done-that titles in their execution Dumped too similar to Paul Feig's Spy and Darkest Minds far too similar to X-Men. In this parched era for pure live-action comedies at the box office, Universal's Blockers has the best opening to date in 2018 with $20.5M, while New Line's Game Night is the highest cume wise with $69M. There is an argument to made that Deadpool 2, though being a superhero movie first, is technically the best comedy given that it's a hysterical hybrid ($125.5M opening, $318M domestic).

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - $1.260B
The Incredibles 2 - $1.047B
Ant-Man and the Wasp - $426M
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - $330M
Hotel Transylvania 3 - $302M
Ocean's 8 - $273M
Skyscraper - $261M
Mamma Mia 2 - $231M
The First Purge - $121M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You mean to tell me audiences aren't feeling the spawns of hell Disney is calling Pooh and Tigger?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Kinda disappointing with Pooh, no? Wasn't everyone here convinced it would do crazy nostalgia numbers?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The Darkest Minds is a dumpster fire. Course the book is terrible too.

Hope TTG movie made a profit. It deserves the money.

less

Oct 25, 2017
The Darkest Minds is off to a pretty bad start which given the quality of the trailers seems reasonable. If next week's drops are big enough then it might not even make back the production budget. Happy to see Mission: Impossible - Fallout still doing well. Probably going to end up watching it again.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Ant-Man and the Wasp passes $200M next weekend. China releases later this month before people ask about the worldwide total.

Incredibles 2 is going to hit $600M domestic, making this the first time that we have had 3 films over that mark in a year. Disney has had four films over $600M in a span of about 9 months, which is crazy.

Fallen Kingdom still looks like it's heading towards $420M or so. That worldwide total is respectable too. Universal can probably squeeze a third one over $1B with the close to $300M drop margin they will have after this film. Assuming that audiences were mostly OK with what they got.

BP was given its $700M, but we talked about that earlier. Infinity War is looking like $679-680M. It's funny how close those two ended up domestically.

Teen Titans Go's drop was pretty large for an animated film, but it had higher than typical previews for last week's opening.

Last edited:

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Paddington is better than Pooh.
*sighs* Like in the last thread, we already came to the conclusion that Ted is the real hero of live action CGI bears!

Ted = 766 mil at the Box Office

Ted was also nominated for an Oscar! When has Paddington ever even come close!

The audience chose Ted and the audience is always right.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The Miseducation of Cameron Post opened to a pretty solid PTA, not anything mindblowing. I do hope it catches on, since it's the more appealing to me of the two gay conversion therapy dramas we're getting.
Puzzle's PTA going up by more than double despite no change in theatre count is interesting, so I'm intrigued to see how it will play out.
Eighth Grade expanded really well, nice for A24 to have another successful film. They're not doing all too shabby this year so far.

Equalizer 2's drop is much smaller than I anticipated and it's (just) ahead of the first one's cume. HT3 did slip behind HT2, but it could make up for that in the weekdays. Sony has to be pretty thrilled by how both are doing though.
M:I - Fallout looks like it could have good legs.

Fantastic hold for Fallout.

Given the performance of the last couple of Pooh theatrical features, I wonder if that property is simply too ubiquitous to get people into theatres anymore? It's one of the only iconic Disney animated features that is arguably more associated with TV at this point.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Fantastic hold for Fallout.

Given the performance of the last couple of Pooh theatrical features, I wonder if that property is simply too ubiquitous to get people into theatres anymore? It's one of the only iconic Disney animated features that is arguably more associated with TV at this point.

I don't think it's expected to be some sort of smash hit. This is in line with expectations, perhaps a bit lower.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BP reaching $700m dom. always felt like a weird extra goalpost people wanted just to celebrate it more.

And I get it, the amount of money it made is definitely an important stepping stone for a mainstream blockbuster with a majority black cast.

But we already got there. Months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.