B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Apparently this is coming out May 28th? In Spain's Game website it has that date. 40€ by the way

And there was a new trailer a couple of days ago!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
This game is out on the JP PS4 Store and the HK PS4 Store. The Hong Kong store is listing that the game is in English (as well as CH/JP). It's also on the JP Switch store.

Anyone taken a look at this yet?

I might grab the HK version over the weekend if I hear it's not a disaster.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've played up through getting the earth spirit... It's fine? I guess? It's very faithful, but it isn't very good looking. There isn't really anything new or interesting going on besides being able to save anywhere. They've made minor changes here and there, and they're trying to embrace the background/foreground stuff but outside of the town, it doesn't amount to much.

The translation is TERRIBLE, and I really hope one of the reasons the English release is later is so they can fix it. The JP VA is really quite bad, too, though.

Overall, I'm not really sure I'd recommend it over the original, which was really quite beautiful. But it also isn't a total disaster.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I've played up through getting the earth spirit... It's fine? I guess? It's very faithful, but it isn't very good looking. There isn't really anything new or interesting going on besides being able to save anywhere. They've made minor changes here and there, and they're trying to embrace the background/foreground stuff but outside of the town, it doesn't amount to much.

The translation is TERRIBLE, and I really hope one of the reasons the English release is later is so they can fix it. The JP VA is really quite bad, too, though.

Overall, I'm not really sure I'd recommend it over the original, which was really quite beautiful. But it also isn't a total disaster.
Translation being shitty reminds me of importing multiple Asian English games only to regret it because the western release was better. I guess I'll just wait a month and see.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

man too bad this wasn't given a bigger budget or handled by lizard cube or game atelier.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
I got this on the Hong Kong psn store and it's not bad honestly. I beat the original game back in 2018 and I loved it and I adore the Wonder Boy franchise. It's more of a remaster than a full on remake, gameplay is the same with some qol changes and it looks real nice and colorful in some areas too. But yea if it's your first time, this remaster is perfectly fine, and I don't regret it at all. As long as your not expecting the visuals of a Dragon Trap remake or Monster Boy. But yea if your a Wonder Boy fan then this remaster is worth getting.

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Honestly from what I've seen I'm "kind of" impressed. It looks more polished than I thought it would be

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So I'm watching Kyle Bosman do a full playthrough of the original game right now on his Twitch channel and decided to look up a video of the remake.

And, wow.

The new graphics completely eliminate all of the charm that the original sprites had. Everything is so flat, boring and ugly.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017

That's sad to hear - but also expected tbh. Ever since they first revealed the visuals, this game had me worried.

Doesn't help that the WonderBoy bar was already pushed so high with the Dragon's Trap remaster and MonsterBoy Cursed Kingdom.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Does anyone know if the original game is a code, or if it's on disc/cartridge?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Has anyone bought the western release yet? I'm wondering whether they retranslated the game from the Asian/Japanese version since it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the English wasn't great.

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
In spanish there are typos, some missing dialogue and sometimes lower case at the beginning of a name... I'm enjoying it, though. It's low budget but it looks nice and the controls feel awesome

Nov 18, 2017
gives me a sega ages PS2 vibe for sure but im enjoying it so far the OST is great. in the earth temble though im pretty dissapointed that theres no background layer, just totally pitch black looks cheap as hell.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
The translation sucks. No patches available either.
LwD1Kox.jpg

2IcZ293.jpg

JHwXW3P.jpg

Yi3262v.jpg

The cart is set to another region too. Even though the box has an ESRB rating on it! Can't get My Nintendo points.
b5sbDuD.png

Boxed version comes with the Genesis game and it gets its own tile. It has nice emulation options. It runs well. No save states, though.
T4QKZJi.png

TM5g45G.jpg

Hj5af3P.jpg

p8hGXHA.jpg

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to give this a chance. It's as i initially feared - it's an average remake of a great game.

Animations, particularly Asha's walk/run, are really stiff and lifeless. Graphics are better in person, but not anything special. Music is lackluster as well.

I only cleared the Earth temple so far, so i have a bit to go. Overall it's as good as I expected it to be...which isn't that good lol.

Kinda regretting the purchase overall.

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the physical edition going to be rare or something?

I had intended to wait until reviews hit before I ordered it, but upon checking both VGP, EBGames, Walmart, AND Amazon are all sold out of the Switch version. VGP even pulled the Switch listing entirely which leads me to believe they won't be getting more, otherwise they would have listed it as "Out of Stock". Thankfully Amazon.com still has copies of the Switch version (PS4 is unavailable, though), so I went ahead and paid the premium to import a copy from there just in-case. It cost me an extra $15 than I would have paid if I could have ordered from within Canada, but it's not worth the risk for me to hold out and see if more copies surface.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bought a physical copy just so I can have a cart for the original version on the Switch. The remake...didn't seem like it turned out very well. I'll still give it a try, but my expectations are low.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I reviewed the remake earlier in the week. Basically I think it's better than I went in expecting it to be, but I can't see it replacing the original. The core game is pretty much intact so it's still good, I'd just say play the MD version first then give the remake a go.

Also, there is this absolute gem of a line from after you beat the game on the standard difficulty (technically not a story spoiler but hey)

E2lBYz-XMAAKMVB

Framerate is all over the place on Switch. It's 50ish most of the time. 😕

9G880ra.png

2xWcC5Q.png

0nNNd29.png

cqqovwq.png

OS41JzW.png

I have to imagine the save screen is like 10fps or lower. I have NO idea why, it's so confusing.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Yeah, I bought a physical copy just so I can have a cart for the original version on the Switch. The remake...didn't seem like it turned out very well. I'll still give it a try, but my expectations are low.

That's also the same reason why I bought the physical Switch version. Kinda viewing the remake as an added bonus. lol

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing it for myself I found the blemishes graphics and animation wise to be not so bad, but at the same time they could be better/pushed harder.

Like I like Asha's Attacking animations much more here than in the original, they are significantly more fluid, but the posing is kinda stiff. Asha her self looks great, and I really appreciate the physics with the wind effect in her town, but the weight of her hair really needs to be improved, it's kinda like a wet noodle

Enemies deffo took a hit animation wise though.

I'm not that far in, but it really feels they tried their best, I dunno if they were new to 3d or what but it hasn't been enough to yank me out the game, I still find it very much charming.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A huge plus is being able to replay an area after beating it if you missed any of the life drops. Only really matters if you like to 100% it though.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
I reviewed the remake earlier in the week. Basically I think it's better than I went in expecting it to be, but I can't see it replacing the original. The core game is pretty much intact so it's still good, I'd just say play the MD version first then give the remake a go.

Also, there is this absolute gem of a line from after you beat the game on the standard difficulty (technically not a story spoiler but hey)

E2lBYz-XMAAKMVB
My review is not online yet but i agree it s better than what i thought.

the game play change are minimal and level design is almost the same.
There is some collisions badly managed.
The cinematics are better.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Is the physical edition going to be rare or something?

I had intended to wait until reviews hit before I ordered it, but upon checking both VGP, EBGames, Walmart, AND Amazon are all sold out of the Switch version. VGP even pulled the Switch listing entirely which leads me to believe they won't be getting more, otherwise they would have listed it as "Out of Stock". Thankfully Amazon.com still has copies of the Switch version (PS4 is unavailable, though), so I went ahead and paid the premium to import a copy from there just in-case. It cost me an extra $15 than I would have paid if I could have ordered from within Canada, but it's not worth the risk for me to hold out and see if more copies surface.

Since it's still available on Amazon US, might be Canada getting extremely limited supplies. After much debate, managed to order a copy from Walmart on Friday.

Raiden IV is another title that's almost impossible to find here (added to VGP just recently but only releasing next week). Had to import it from a US retailer.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Why can't I just pay $15 just for the original game? :-/ have zero interest in the remake or in spending 35€ for a physical version, ugh.

Hate Inin Games for pulling this shit again, like with Bubble Bobble (which contrary to PS4 has no ACA BB release on Switch).