GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Looks fine to me...

Movement seems the same, which doesn't quite match up with the new visuals, but the visuals themselves seem fine.

Oct 30, 2017
I was hyped based on the art in the IGN article. Was that original for the remake, or just art from the original release? If new, bow can't they see how that style is so much better than what they came up with?

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like absolute garbage.

...Why not just bring the translated release to modern consoles.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Physical Switch and PS4 versions are going up on the Strictly Limited Games partner store in less than an hour. 40 Euro for base game, 100 Euro for the CE, and 180 Euro for the Mega CE.

In addition to the remake, the Switch version comes with the translated MWIV on the cart while the PS4 version comes with a PSN EU DL code for it.

www.strictlylimitedgames.com

Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World

Publisher:ININ Games / Studio ArtdinkDeveloper:Studio ArtdinkPhysical Edition Pre Order Date:17.12.2020Platforms:Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4 Go to the collectionThe Saga continues with Asha and her little friend!Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World!Asha is chosen to leave her village in order to...

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can get the original game even on digital? I don't mind get the remake if it's not a standalone release.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of want the Switch physical just to have the original on cart. I think this is the first physical release it has in English?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Strictly Limited games usually end up having regular releases (like with Ys Origin for Switch). Does anyone know if that will happen to this too? It's by ININ Games after all

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The original being a download exclusive to the release and not sold separately is odd, last time I remember that happening was the Genesis version of Castle of Illusion that came with the remake on the PS3.

Strictly Limited games usually end up having regular releases (like with Ys Origin for Switch). Does anyone know if that will happen to this too? It's by ININ Games after all

We probably won't know until closer to the actual release, and it could end up being slightly different. Space Invaders Invincible Collection got a western release (physical and digital) just this last week, for instance, but it was different: it was called Space Invaders Forever and had less games (lower priced, at least).

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
The original being a download exclusive to the release and not sold separately is odd, last time I remember that happening was the Genesis version of Castle of Illusion that came with the remake on the PS3.

We probably won't know until closer to the actual release, and it could end up being slightly different. Space Invaders Invincible Collection got a western release (physical and digital) just this last week, for instance, but it was different: it was called Space Invaders Forever and had less games (lower priced, at least).
There will be a regular retail release but with a different cover and no manual

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
There will be a regular retail release but with a different cover and no manual

Oh, nice!

So I'll be able to order the retail release through Amazon or whatever, and get the physical MWIV (original) on there too? That saves me a bit of money, since importing the ININ release to Canada isn't exactly cheap (due to currency exchange and possible brokerage charges). I know I'll be missing out on the manual (and possibly reversible cover?), but to save a bit of money it's a worthy trade-off.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Awesome! I'll just wait for the regular retail release on Amazon I guess, doubt it'll hit shelves here in my country (but you never know).

I wish Wonder Boy Returns got a physical release on Switch too, just for the sake of 'completion'. I don't think it did anyway? I know there is a PS4 one.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I treated myself and ordered the Switch Mega Collector's edition. This will be my second time ordering from SLG, I was really impressed with their deluxe Darius Cozmic Collection box set which was very high quality so can't wait for this. Besides all the collector items, it will be great to have the localized MD version of MW IV on cart as well.

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a physical version I can purchase where I can get the physical that has MWIV dlc code for the NA PSN?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Ordered the standard switch release!

Isn't it kinda odd the original game comes on the Switch cart, but it's a download on PS4. Wonder why.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks slightly better (maybe watching it embedded makes it a bit more flattering) but the framerate is still off. Main reason I'm really considering buying the physical at this point is to get the original version

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's cute but the animations aren't great. I still don't see what this version brings to the table, the original still looks better imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I wish this looked like the rest of the new entries mostly for the sake of consistency but I think this looks fine.

(Then again, I don't know if I should buy it since I didn't really enjoy the last two releases despite of the hype around here. I would get it just because I'm a completionist).

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the presentation improved somewhat. I'd say it looks merely alright now. Same deal as with Trials of Mana where a bare minimum 3D depiction can't really outshine the highly refined 16-bit pixel art.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Looks better than before but still not that great, they should improve animations and some textures' quality at least.
Still, seems very interesting and somewhat ambitious, it kind of reminds me of the Castle of Illusion 3d remake.

Hopefully it'll improve further and it'll be at least nice looking, an old 2d Sega ip being handled by some of its original key designers and not looking like a french-belgian cartoon it's such a rare sight nowadays.

Last edited:

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Wow the gameplay sections in the new trailer look horrible. It looks like it's running with frame skip and it's sped up too much.

The last two Wonder Boy games are miles ahead.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
OMG, saw this in the trailer description. Physical versions include the original MW IV!!

Including the original Monster World IV As an ode to the game's legacy, the beloved original Monster World IV is included in all physical editions of ININ Games. The original game is not included in any of the digital versions, it's exclusively available in the physical retail and limited editions for North America, Europa and Australia. For the Nintendo Switch, it will be featured on the cartridge, while there will be an exclusive download code included with the PS4 disc version.

Does anyone know if ININ games releases are hard to find or to pre-order?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Man, those visuals are tragic. I find it actively unattractive, to the point that it puts me off of ever wanting to play it. What a shame, considering the past couple titles

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks better, but like others have said, the animation is the weakest part of this game. Just copying the original is not enough.

Suppose i can stomach the visuals as long as the gameplay is solid, much like Bloodstained.

lmao no way it does with those framerate drops.

also, MWIV original isn't even as good as Monster Boy. :P
Bet the trailer's running on Switch hardware.

Can't say i'm a fan of Monster Boy being so heavily puzzle-oriented.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely looks better. Sure, I would've loved 2D sprites but I'm actually quite happy with how it looks now. I went from "eh, I will play it, because I love the original so much" to "yeah, I actually like it now for what it is". I hope it will play too. The original is still one of my most favorite games.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Looks better than last time. I really need to play through the original to appreciate/criticize the new version appropriately.
Still would rather have preferred a sequel than a 1:1 remake.

OMG, saw this in the trailer description. Physical versions include the original MW IV!!

Including the original Monster World IV As an ode to the game's legacy, the beloved original Monster World IV is included in all physical editions of ININ Games. The original game is not included in any of the digital versions, it's exclusively available in the physical retail and limited editions for North America, Europa and Australia. For the Nintendo Switch, it will be featured on the cartridge, while there will be an exclusive download code included with the PS4 disc version.

Why the discrepancy? Can't be a space issue.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

It'll be exclusively through Strictly Limited Games

store.strictlylimitedgames.com

Exclusive Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PlayStation Vita games in strictly limited quantities.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be exclusively through Strictly Limited Games

store.strictlylimitedgames.com

Exclusive Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PlayStation Vita games in strictly limited quantities.
No, the "ININ Games" label is what they use for retail releases, this one is getting a retail release. That's why it's under the "Partner Store" section of the SLG website.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Looks better but still not what I want. Some of the animations are pretty cute.

MWIV being physical only is extra bullshit though. ININ has been frankly awful with leaving retro games from their Taito releases too (Bubble Bobble SMS, Sagaia GB, a ton of Space Invaders games). Fuck this company.