• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At cloak rank 3 I was able to do 2 corrupted zones + thrall, tried to do 1 corrupted and one lost at rank 4 but I was gonnna cut it to close so I bailed and killed thralll. At rank 5 the cloak goes from 25% to 40% so I think a lost zone will be duable for me next week.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Doing the Vulpera recruitment questline. These guys are just the coolest. They fit in so well with the Horde already. Really, ever since they were introduced as these survivalists struggling to just not die in the wilderness, they've always channeled that Horde energy.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Doing the Vulpera recruitment questline. These guys are just the coolest. They fit in so well with the Horde already. Really, ever since they were introduced as these survivalists struggling to just not die in the wilderness, they've always channeled that Horde energy.

I am so pumped to be playing one. Now I'm rockin a rogue in 8.3 as my main hordie. Who fuckin knew. It's the race and class I never saw myself playing.

But they're so fucking cool.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Did Tol Dagor for my first time tonight (M+11). I didn't know that's what we were running so I didn't look at any info.. It was fine up until the last 2 bosses. Barrel boss was ok after getting the hang of it. The last boss.. despite getting the 20 second rundown I didn't understand the mechanics until I read Wowhead after. I'm pissed off to the point of not wanting to run anything.

The benefit of coming back from a multi-year break is having a few friends to help out. The curse is experiencing everything for the first time when everyone else knows wtf is going on.

I miss learning the encounters together.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Seems like you could essentially grind out Rajani rep just by doing the "events". 75 rep each isn't much but you could knock out ten+ easily.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just got that Drake mount from Ishak in Uldum. Are these supposed to be as low % chance as the ones in Mechagon?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying myself in patch 8.3 so far. But it's definitely going to run dry fast. This should have been four assault zones, minimum. It's JUST going to be these two. For eight months.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying myself in patch 8.3 so far. But it's definitely going to run dry fast. This should have been four assault zones, minimum. It's JUST going to be these two. For eight months.
Yeah it's going to wear out quickly for me. Also I wonder what the thought process was behind the Black Empire gear tokens. The azerite pieces are only three rings whereas the Benthic gear had five. Seems like an issue in terms of power level for alts. Using it on my characters doesn't seem to give them a huge leap in terms of power than what I got giving them Benthic pieces.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have a feeling once I hit exalted on both factions on my main I will be back to not playing much, I don't really care about cloak ranks since I don't raid anymore, although I am a whore for challenge content so I probably will have to at least get that solo challenge achievement for the visions.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Please god not eight months.

I feel like they'll break with the rhythm and maybe do 9.0 (or whatever patch includes the level squish/revamp) 2-3 months earlier than Shadowlands. I wouldn't mind that. Take a little longer to give us a great expansion, but give us something fresh in the summer.

Because 8-9 months of 8.3 is not going to go over well with the community.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Blizzard has failed to provide adequate content between expansions almost every single time. Not sure why people would think it would be very different this time, especially given all the troubles of BFA and the way the plot and story has been all over the place.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean, Blizzard has failed to provide adequate content between expansions almost every single time. Not sure why people would think it would be very different this time, especially given all the troubles of BFA and the way the plot and story has been all over the place.
Yeah, it seems pretty clear that 8.3 is all they've got planned until Shadowlands releases. There haven't even been any hints of a pre-release event happening prior to 9.0 so it seems like we're just going to be sitting on our hands for a bit.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
The anemic state of 8.3 (and BfA to a larger extent) is not indicative of increased progress on Shadowlands. Most of what they had to show was threadbare or seemed like...conceptual more than anything else. We have no idea what The Maw actually even is, or how radical the work to classes will be. Obviously they can cut corners on features, but having no new classes, no announced class overhauls, and an indication that their focus is reimplementing PvP talents into normal gameplay is worrying. Any turnaround time before late this year (Nov/Dec) would be overly ambitious unless they are just sitting on some wealth of content they've been hiding away. It's unlikely that they could even introduce the revamped leveling early because many of the systems are connected to other pieces of Shadowlands.

Rushing expansions is what created loads of Battle for Azeroth's problems to begin with, and trying to live fix them over the course of the live player experience only thrust needless complexity on the game as systems were gutted and had entirely new systems built on top of them repeatedly. Everyone knows BfA is bad. Let it continue to be bad and don't push the next thing out before it's ready. A hurried pace also doesn't help fix the obviously broken production pipeline. They need to get on a better track for more regular content releases.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The anemic state of 8.3 (and BfA to a larger extent) is not indicative of increased progress on Shadowlands. Most of what they had to show was threadbare or seemed like...conceptual more than anything else. We have no idea what The Maw actually even is, or how radical the work to classes will be. Obviously they can cut corners on features, but having no new classes, no announced class overhauls, and an indication that their focus is reimplementing PvP talents into normal gameplay is worrying. Any turnaround time before late this year (Nov/Dec) would be overly ambitious unless they are just sitting on some wealth of content they've been hiding away. It's unlikely that they could even introduce the revamped leveling early because many of the systems are connected to other pieces of Shadowlands.

Rushing expansions is what created loads of Battle for Azeroth's problems to begin with, and trying to live fix them over the course of the live player experience only thrust needless complexity on the game as systems were gutted and had entirely new systems built on top of them repeatedly. Everyone knows BfA is bad. Let it continue to be bad and don't push the next thing out before it's ready. A hurried pace also doesn't help fix the obviously broken production pipeline. They need to get on a better track for more regular content releases.

BfA was rushed? It didn't feel like it. It's just all the new features they worked on were huge duds like Warfronts and Islands.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
BfA was rushed? It didn't feel like it. It's just all the new features they worked on were huge duds like Warfronts and Islands.
The state of class balance in 8.0 and the absolutely abysmal Azerite traits definitely felt like they had rushed the game out without a tuning pass. The reaction to the August release date was general confusion because nobody expected the game to actually launch like that.

Warfronts were a bad idea in general, but they at least released feature complete. Islands were in a weird state until 8.1 retuned all of them and made the rewards simpler to understand.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always scratchin' my head at all the BFA hate. It's got issues, but with so much positive in it, too, it still ranks up there in my top 3. I know I'm alone in this. The expansion's features outside of core gameplay tuning never get enough love imo (story, characters, art, visual design, music, etc.) and BFA knocked it outta the park for me on all those fronts, compared to previous expansions before Legion. Oh well. I'm not one to care too much anymore about min-maxing and trait balance and all that stuff, so it irked me less. I actually kind of liked Az traits, a bit...? It was different and fun. I don't mind the systems upon systems. I guess I just appreciate that they're trying new shit.

8.3's audio/visual look has been so great so far. I love the music in the Vale/Uldum.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm always scratchin' my head at all the BFA hate. It's got issues, but with so much positive in it, too, it still ranks up there in my top 3. I know I'm alone in this. The expansion's features outside of core gameplay tuning never get enough love imo (story, characters, art, visual design, music, etc.) and BFA knocked it outta the park for me on all those fronts, compared to previous expansions before Legion. Oh well. I'm not one to care too much anymore about min-maxing and trait balance and all that stuff, so it irked me less. I actually kind of liked Az traits, a bit...? It was different and fun. I don't mind the systems upon systems. I guess I just appreciate that they're trying new shit.

8.3's audio/visual look has been so great so far. I love the music in the Vale/Uldum.

Bro... are you really saying that BfA has a good story?

BfA has probably the worst overall story in the game.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Bro... are you really saying that BfA has a good story?

BfA has probably the worst overall story in the game.
Has a lot of problems. It was still told in a way more attractive and exciting way than most previous expansions. You guys didn't like all the cutscenes and drama and the production value of the whole thing? I'm trying to remember what BC, and Wrath, and Mists all did so well that everyone puts them on another level. As far back as I can remember, people have been shitting on WoW's stories, way back to BC, always saying it's garbage, retconning classic WC 1-3, and that Blizzard's lost its way, haha.

Hell, even when WC3 was current people were upset that IT was shitting on WC 1-2! lol

I don't even remember a cohesive story pre Cata or Mists. It was far more fragmented.

Wrathgate was horrendous for me as a player. I had no idea who any of the key players were, and it was SO tonally out of sync with anything else happening in the game at the time that it stuck out like a sore thumb. Yet somehow, it's heralded as one of the best pieces of storytelling in the game's history. I seriously don't get it, haha.

Maybe I'm precisely Blizzard's actual target customer right now. The world and story and characters as pretty much as enthralling to me as they ever have been. I think the game has a long way to go to being 'good storytelling', but I love getting swept up in it all anyway.

Outside of story, I kind of love how much Allied Races brought to the flavour of the game. I love that there's so much more player customization and options for race/class combos and personal player stories. Add in the buttload of new mounts, xmog, pets, all the extra shit they keep packin' in, man, it's like, a lot. I'm always in awe of it. Yeah, it's not the greatest individual character customization in an MMO, but is it way better than it has been before? I say hell yeah.

Legion and BFA are probably my fave two expacs, haha. I'm gonna get heat for that, I'm sure.

(and yes, I think Islands and Warfronts were both pretty terrible, despite being great ideas on paper)

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowlands was the first cinematic that got me excited in years, I think the last one was probably Mists. I liked Warlords, Legion, and BFA's from a technical standpoint, but narratively and hype-wise they did nothing for me.

Warlords I can kind of understand. Legion's though...and BFA's? LAWD. BFA's cinematic was designed to be a hype machine. The crowd reaction videos get my blood pumping.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

I can't remember - at this point in previous expansion life-cycles (i.e., the Jan before a late summer/fall expac release), did we have an indication of class reworks and more detail on that front? I remember there was a massive Legion info blow-out, but I think the previous expacs all had trickle-out info besides Blizzcon's, at least, this early on? I could be super wrong.

Since 7.0, they've almost always had the PTR up for the next patch or half-patch up within a month of the previous one's release, right? I'd expect a Shadowlands alpha to be starting in Feb or so, with beta in May...does that fall in line with previous expansions?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Warlords I can kind of understand. Legion's though...and BFA's? LAWD. BFA's cinematic was designed to be a hype machine. The crowd reaction videos get my blood pumping.

See, for me I've always liked the world part of World part of WoW more than the War part, and I've felt like they've leaned too heavily on that the past few expansions. Shadowlands is the first expansion in a long time where I feel like I'm about the venture into the unknown.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
See, for me I've always liked the world part of World part of WoW more than the War part, and I've felt like they've leaned too heavily on that the past few expansions. Shadowlands is the first expansion in a long time where I feel like I'm about the venture into the unknown.
I hear that. I feel the same way right now. I want to get off planet and do something new for sure! But I also enjoyed having the war take over all of Azeroth for the past year and change. It felt neat to bring all these mini factions and races together for the conflict. The whole concept of allied races worked for me.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
You're all really forgetful if you think 8.3 will last less than 8-9 months. 7.3 lasted a whole year.
Its very clear blizzard, as the community a long time ago, has realized bfa is a lost cause and poured all resources into shadowlands, similary to what they did with wod.
I dont expect shadowlands to release before october/november at this point, Blizzcon build had basically nothing, just ONE zone, literally no class changes and almost none of the new system implemented, they are/were so far behind for real.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Done with 5 cloaks now. So I like this patch overall but a few things need fixed. Spawn rates in the assaults are some hot ass, the mob tuning seems to be over by quite a bit. My main and my 2nd account main don't have many problems but anything else and they get waxed pretty quickly.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
At the end of one of the Uldum questlines it's revealed that you were actually
bombing your own camp and people.

So I'm kinda guessing that Nyalotha is actually Stormwind/Orgrimmar. And all the bosses and enemies we kill are our own leaders and people.

Sylvanas shows up and is like I got a plan, y'all. Follow me... Into the Shadowlands. Then we go help her assault Icecrown in the prelaunch event.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

My biggest issue by far is how the excessive pruning from Legion to BFA made the game such a fucking slog to play. None of the other stuff really matters as long as the core gameplay experience just ends up feeling frustrating and sluggish. I don't think I'll be touching the game again until the next class revamps.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to kill thrall yesterday, which was pretty damn cool. I really like the idea of these zones, they're basically solo dungeons, but I feel a bit undergeared for them. I need a better weapon though, so it looks like I'll need to do LFR or something.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of one of the Uldum questlines it's revealed that you were actually
bombing your own camp and people.

So I'm kinda guessing that Nyalotha is actually Stormwind/Orgrimmar. And all the bosses and enemies we kill are our own leaders and people.

Sylvanas shows up and is like I got a plan, y'all. Follow me... Into the Shadowlands. Then we go help her assault Icecrown in the prelaunch event.

I doubt this is it.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited for a new raid opening up after months of eternal palace.

Hopefully we clear normal and some of heroic this week.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Just as an aside: there was a pre-expansion event mentioned at Blizzcon. We'll be dealing with another Scourge invasion when the Shadowlands are ripped open so there will be some new content in the prepatch.

Not to say 8.3 won't dry up quickly but we won't be waiting until only the Shadowlands launch before having something new to do. But buckle in because it's gonna be August at the earliest.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just as an aside: there was a pre-expansion event mentioned at Blizzcon. We'll be dealing with another Scourge invasion when the Shadowlands are ripped open so there will be some new content in the prepatch.

Not to say 8.3 won't dry up quickly but we won't be waiting until only the Shadowlands launch before having something new to do. But buckle in because it's gonna be August at the earliest.

In an ideal world we'll get the squish a month before the scourge return.

But they're probably going to lump it all together.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I hopped off WoW before doing yesterday's bug mount daily so I guess I should just give up forever.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Hopefully they show the Shadowlands being ripped open and have a cinematic of all the important deaths in WoW lore. ANd the final one shown is Garrosh and it repeats 47 times just to hammer home the point that he's the worst character in the franchise and the only one who should stay permadead after this is all over. He can be the Uncle Ben of the franchise except far less influential or important.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Will Emissaries be wiped tomorrow? Wondering if I should finish today's emissary and then let it sit until tomorrow for a higher ilvl piece.

They haven't been wiped in the past, but I'm not sure if the ilevel will increase. I'll probably just wait and see.

Interesting article.

One of its main themes is how the early development effort was extremely informal. "The [development] area was a dump," he writes in the book's first chapter. "It was decorated like someone's basement … Half the lights were burnt out. The closest thing to a kitchen was a tiny microwave next to a sink full of dishes. Food stains were ground into the carpet."

Last edited:

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to rank the allied races because I'm bored today.

1. Dark Iron Dwarf - Race changed my paladin immediately once I unlocked them. Could have just been customization options but at least they did enough work to set them apart. The best of the recolor / minor work tier.

2. Zandalari - Still haven't made one but I mostly like them.

3. What Nightborne should have been - one of the best side races they've ever introduced.

4. Void Elf / Maghar - Mostly competent recolors. Maghar should have just been customization options. Void Elf fairs better than most allied races in terms of customization variety (but could still use more).

6. Kul Tirans - Strictly better than regular humans. Class options of shaman and druid allowed human theme to expand a little, which I think was a missed opportunity with many other allied races. That they are ultimately just humans is why they are so low.

7. The Nightborne we actually got - Seemingly high effort, low quality work with few customization options. Can make one or two acceptable looks.

8. Vulpera - I appreciate the work went into them. Seem to have a good number of options. I absolutely love the Goblin skeleton (my hunter and DK are both goblins). I just know I likely won't ever play one after playing around with the character creator.

9. Mechagnomes - I don't play a gnome but don't hate them. These aren't real mechagnomes. Should have been customization options. If I'd ever play a gnome there's a decent chance I'd choose mechagnome over normal ones. As an aside, I find it funny that fans (and maybe devs?) have cited gear display issues as reasons to not add races like Sethrak, Naga etc. over the years, but then there's just a normal humanoid race that can't show that many gear slots (seems like that could have just been accomplished with hidden transmog slots, but whatever, at least it's different). This is above Highmountain because they put more work into them.

9. Highmountain tauren - Nothing about what they did with them justifies it not just being customization options. Even if they would have just incorporated Feltotem and allowed warlocks or even meme rogues it would have made a difference, at least. In a just world this would be the worst allied race. I actually leveled one in Legion despite not really liking Tauren. It never gets played.

10. Getting run over by a car.

11. Lightforged Draenei - Almost zero thematic or aesthetic departure. Limited customization options. Fewer class options. Worst base models in the game. Should have just been customization options. Even worse, they had Broken right there in front of them, even the lesser Legion Krokul version, which could have allowed them to expand to rogues, warlocks and druids (I think it's technically Lost Ones that became druids in BC? Close enough for me though). I will never understand this.

Oct 25, 2017
ok so.

you grind out 10,000 of these little things to do one run and then we go to the save the shamans area and get one shotted and thats it?

neat man. garbage patch

Status
Not open for further replies.