• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
us.shop.battle.net

World of Warcraft®: Dragonflight - World of Warcraft | Battle.net

Join forces with the dragonflights of Azeroth as they return to the Dragon Isles, a lost realm of magic and wonder. There await the dracthyr evokers, an...

"*World of Warcraft®: Dragonflight will be available on or before December 31, 2022."

For people who aren't following along, the alpha hasn't gone public yet. So I think this release date will come as a surprise to many!

twopenny

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate they want to get this expansion out the door given the general state of the game, but man… that doesn't seem possible

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It would be one heck of a feat and it's possible depending on the alpha, I suppose.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's hope they're not rushing it then. The last thing that game needs is another expansion launching before it's ready.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They really really need to take their time with it and make the best damn expansion they can.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem we may see is potential willingness to launch something that is Just Not Ready to make a deadline. I hope I'm wrong.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
It's important to note that development on Shadowlands has been lighter than any other expansion, which means that Shadowlands development was probably heavier than any other expansion since maybe Legion.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they stick the landing, but the last thing WoW needs is a rushed/half-assed expac. This needs to be good. I'd rather they just take as long as they need to ensure quality and just stick with Classic Wrath this year,

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
It'll 100% be rushed if it comes out in 2022. For the first time I'm not pre-ordering and I might officially stay out of WoW (can't ever say 100% I quit I came back too often in the past lol).

I really hope it's what the players deserves.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Too soon, you've awakened me too soon Executus!

This won't inspire confidence in anyone.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It is possible it squeezes in. Their alpha/beta periods usually last around 5-6 months. Though releasing it right before the company goes on their holiday break doesn't seem wise. Usually you have weeks of almost daily hotfixes.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take your time.

FF14 delayed as needed. Just wait until it's cooked so you can restore faith.

Just launch WoTLK classic and put this out in like April next year.

They also have overwatch launching this year so Blizzard will be making bucks especially considering the profit immortal made for them. They aren't hard pressed to shove this out the door.

The only reason I could think they want to get it out in an "ok" state would be to clear the focus and schedule next year for Diablo 4 only.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
There's not many point to Alpha or Beta testing we kept screaming from the rooftop every single problem Shadowlands had and they all went in like naw the players are wrong and it blew up in their faces.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's no way this launches this year without being rushed. Find it hard to believe they were able to make an expansion in 2 years like normal under continued pandemic development combined with everything happening at Blizzard.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
They did basically remove a major patch/tier from Shadowlands though right? Kinda reminds me of them doing that in WoD to focus on Legion. That worked out quite well for Legion but I'm not that confident.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Getting Battlefield 2042 vibes from that release date

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
There's not many point to Alpha or Beta testing we kept screaming from the rooftop every single problem Shadowlands had and they all went in like naw the players are wrong and it blew up in their faces.

Yeah this is where I'm at. If they aren't going to take the feedback then what's the point? Sure there might be some giant bugs found but they could do a smaller round of alpha/beta for that.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
They're going to release WotLK and Dragonflight within a month of eachother, aren't they.

OP
OP
Hixx

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't believe them when they said Shadowlands was only intended to have two major patches so yeah, I reckon Dragonflight probably has had an extra few months of full production than most other expansions would have had at this point. The curiosity is whether they are going to have less public testing for this expansion and what that would mean.

If Dragonflight's endgame systems are simple and light (lol) then this timeframe makes some sense. But we won't know until the alpha/beta starts which I imagine will be in the next 2-3 weeks?

Gonna be an interesting summer for WoW fans either way.

They're going to release WotLK and Dragonflight within a month of eachother, aren't they.

Definitely could. 2 months at most if they actually stick this release timeframe. Shame for people who want to play both... like me.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I thought it would be 2023 with Wrath Classic coming out this year. I hoped it would get extra development time too.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I still don't believe them when they said Shadowlands was only intended to have two major patches so yeah,

Of course not they were lying through their teeth. That would mean you paid the same expansion price for less content, 2 major patch instead of 3 and a shoddy season 4 to try and squeeze.

I really hate how they can't just admit when they fucked up when some of the competition (FFXIV) can but then again these devs seems to love their game way more than Blizzard does. Own up you massively screwed up, tell us how you'll fix it in the future, and actually do it don't just say it cause it sounds good, take your time and do it right. This will be the first expansion I'm not playing on release I really don't see me going back, Shadowlands was the proverbial final straw for me.

Edit: Oh they just released a new battle pet on the store for 10 bucks . I guess they're really trying to shore up their financial since the quarter finishes up today

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
It's not. The only reason its "releasing" 2022 is for you to prepurchase the game before they inevitably delay it. The game is not ready and won't be for a while.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Honestly it doesn't even matter. They delayed Shadowlands like everyone wanted them to and that still sucked. So whatever happens happens with this one. Fuck it send it in.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
That's surprising. Not fully sure I trust it, but it would be a pleasant surprising IF it means they're not crunching their staff to get it out the door. The last thing we need is more employee abuse from Blizzard, or them forcing another expansion out the door before it's ready.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
After Shadowlands got by with only a month delay(despite COVID completely upending the world) I dont think this is that crazy. Especially since they should have been working on this even longer with how Shadowlands ended

like I fully expect it to come in hot(or delay into Q1 2023) but it's not like some ridiculous target, the WoW team has been doing this exact scheduling for like 12 years...the only people more consistent are sports game devs

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
yeah 2022 seems... optimistic. I'd be incredibly surprised if we don't see a delay a few months from now.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited, but hopefully this launch date isn't coming at the expense of a quality experience. After 2 misfire expansions they need to get this one right.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
Ready to jump on the hype train to later be dissapointed after that 1 week of honeymoon we all experience during each expansion :D?

I know I am!: D

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for solo rated. I quit last time because I was tired of having to play healers just to get fast teams.

I don't expect this to launch before late Feb though

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
They can make it easy. They skipped a Shadowlands patch and Dragonflight doesn't have any weird intricate systems, I believe they can make it. Expect an end of november beginning of december release, it coincides with FFXIV 6.3 patch release in mid december (before christmas).

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll get pushed back for a 2023 release. I see the date as a placeholder to sell people the product early for pre-orders.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I think they pulled a WoD with SL, so it might be ready by the end of the year.