viral

Oct 25, 2017
This expansion gives you a flying mount from the beginning, everyone gets their own customisable dragon now which can soar and dive and all sorts.

blizzardwatch.com

World of Warcraft Dragonflight will feature a tamed dragon mount we'll use to fly "from the start" with Dragonriding

World of Warcraft's next expansion Dragonflight will see us journeying to the long-forgotten Dragon Isles and helping the dragonflights of Azeroth. Of cour

Yeah, but that's not really flying. They said in interviews that it's more like a minigame instead of traditional flying and we shouldn't expect it to work the same way at all. Regular flying will probably come later if I had to guess.

To answer the original question, yeah, they wanted to phase out flying in WoD, but the backlash was too much, se they caved. Now flying gets introduced a few patches into an expansion, and you have to do some meta achievements to unlock it.

wingthor

Sep 18, 2021
I wonder how much game design time ends up getting devoured by trying to reinvent the wheel with new borrowed power systems every expansion. Like re-implementing talent trees for 38 roles is a DISGUSTING amount of work too, but they do have three existing tiers of expansions to draw talent traits from and it seems outside of implementing momentum-based flight they're staying really focused on those talent trees being the big mechanical draw from the jump.

It's WoW. Release a new expansion and you'll get a huge chunk of lapsed/retail players to stick their noses back in to fuck around on day one. Especially with a new casting/healer class with a unique cast mechanic for the first time since launch/Mists of Pandaria respectively.

From the previews they've shown, the talent trees are just a ui change of the spell book with some tweaks.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Six months from pre-alpha to release?

Uhhhhhh, that's not promising for them actually testing stuff.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
This expansion gives you a flying mount from the beginning, everyone gets their own customisable dragon now which can soar and dive and all sorts.

blizzardwatch.com

World of Warcraft Dragonflight will feature a tamed dragon mount we'll use to fly "from the start" with Dragonriding

World of Warcraft's next expansion Dragonflight will see us journeying to the long-forgotten Dragon Isles and helping the dragonflights of Azeroth. Of cour
If I remember correctly at one point Blizzard outright stated that flyable mounts had been a mistake and they weren't going to be using them from that point on. Wasn't there some controversy over that with the release of WoW Classic?

I wonder what changed their minds.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I fully expect that they'll push the game out in 2022 but I don't expect it to be in a good state at all

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If I remember correctly at one point Blizzard outright stated that flyable mounts had been a mistake and they weren't going to be using them from that point on. Wasn't there some controversy over that with the release of WoW Classic?

WoW has had a lot of different teams over the years with different opinions, some of the vanilla team members didn't like the direction TBC went in etc. I am not sure if any dev has actually said they regret flying but some of them have said it about blood elves on Horde, Arena, LFR.
The general thought from modern WoW team is flying will be gated and come out later in a patch which WOD introduced, that caused a lot of controversy. Flying early trivializes the content and makes the game too easy, Dragonflight is built around flying and is a different case.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I believe the original context of that quote was giving players full flight at the very start of Cataclysm was a mistake. It created a recurring issue of players bypassing 90% of trash mobs and general navigation elements to park next to an objective/monster, interact/kill or hover out of reach of other monsters until that interactable/enemy spawned, and then to take off again as fast as possible after completing the objective to avoid agroing trash mobs or traversing out of that otherwise reasonably dangerous area.

Dragonflight is restricting flight by adding more gameplay elements that they can slowly pace out over the course of the leveling grind (And possibly a little into the end game). Like yeah you get a dragon, but maybe it can only glide at first like a Goblin Glider. Maybe you can unlock dive bombs to get more speed after jumping off a cliff to let you travel further horizontally, but you still can't get meaningful altitude for a while, etc.

From the previews they've shown, the talent trees are just a ui change of the spell book with some tweaks.
I only vaguely know Frost Dark Knight, and not enough to get a lot of nuance out of the spec-specific tree. I do see that which utility branches we end up leaning into as our "Off-spec" drifts more or less depending on if you're playing with PVE (Blood) and PVP content (Unholy), but the thing about this is that it's still a two DPS/one tank tree that's trying to keep the two DPS specs apart by filling a lot of vital PVE survivability perks into the Blood tree.

So I get what you MEAN, but I need to see how tri-DPS classes like Mage treat the Utility page. There's a bit less room to define one spec as the "You basically have to take this if you're doing any PVE content" as long as Counterspell is as easily accessible in the tree as Mind Freeze is and Shimmer isn't a premium Arcane talent. Spellsteal is very nice, but also conditional and can be swapped out depending on the dungeon. Cauterize is very nice, but as a Frost Mage I can survive just as easily by being more proactive in popping my immunity vs. intentionally eating a mechanic and letting my healer deal with me being a filthy parse degenerate (And there's also Cold Snap too). Stuns and Freezes are both really great in PVE depending on affixes. That sort of thing.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I believe the original context of that quote was giving players full flight at the very start of Cataclysm was a mistake. It created a recurring issue of players bypassing 90% of trash mobs and general navigation elements to park next to an objective/monster, interact/kill or hover out of reach of other monsters until that interactable/enemy spawned, and then to take off again as fast as possible after completing the objective to avoid agroing trash mobs or traversing out of that otherwise reasonably dangerous area.

Dragonflight is restricting flight by adding more gameplay elements that they can slowly pace out over the course of the leveling grind (And possibly a little into the end game). Like yeah you get a dragon, but maybe it can only glide at first like a Goblin Glider. Maybe you can unlock dive bombs to get more speed after jumping off a cliff to let you travel further horizontally, but you still can't get meaningful altitude for a while, etc.

WoW has had a lot of different teams over the years with different opinions, some of the vanilla team members didn't like the direction TBC went in etc. I am not sure if any dev has actually said they regret flying but some of them have said it about blood elves on Horde, Arena, LFR.
The general thought from modern WoW team is flying will be gated and come out later in a patch which WOD introduced, that caused a lot of controversy. Flying early trivializes the content and makes the game too easy, Dragonflight is built around flying and is a different case.

Interesting, thanks peeps.

Sep 5, 2021
Six months from pre-alpha to release?

Uhhhhhh, that's not promising for them actually testing stuff.

Expansion Comparison: How does Dragonflight's potential schedule compare to other expansions?

fvkrbq0mv7791.png