Oct 28, 2017
squirrel.jpg

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I am pretty sure that Death Stranding line is not meant to be serious at all. Just like that hilariously cheesy slow mo run across the beach afterwards.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I actually think "I'm fragile, but not that fragile." Is worse than the princess beach line cus the game not only thinks it's profound but uses it multiple times as a stinger.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Dragon Age 2. One of your allies saying, "I like big boats, I cannot lie," before turning on you.

Yeah, Bioware. A Sir-Mix-a-Lot reference during an important moment in your fantasy RPG. GREAT idea.

Then again, it demonstrated the exact degree of care and quality control that went into that title.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Exactly Right, so it's supposed to be cheesy, if it's supoosed to be, that mean the line is perfect for its context therefor, the perfect line, not the worst one

I'll never understand the, "It's supposed to be stupid/awkward/cheesy!" argument. You see it all the time with the Tidus laughing scene too. If the creator's intent was to make a bad line, and they succeeded, it's still a bad line.

It's the Matt Hazard effect. They set out to make a bad game lampooning bad games, and in so doing, created a bad game.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never understand the, "It's supposed to be stupid/awkward/cheesy!" argument. You see it all the time with the Tidus laughing scene too. If the creator's intent was to make a bad line, and they succeeded, it's still a bad line.

It's the Matt Hazard effect. They set out to make a bad game lampooning bad games, and in so doing, created a bad game.
Because with the Tidus laughing bit the whole point of it is Yuna asked him to fake a laugh. Tidus thinks that's bullshit so he fakes a laugh in the most obnoxious way he can to make his point that you shouldn't fake your emotions. Yuna is embarrassed at first, but comes around and joins him. Everyone around them thinks they've gone nuts. Tidus was trying to embarrass Yuna and succeeded.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Because with the Tidus laughing bit the whole point of it is Yuna asked him to fake a laugh. Tidus thinks that's bullshit so he fakes a laugh in the most obnoxious way he can to make his point that you shouldn't fake your emotions. Yuna is embarrassed at first, but comes around and joins him. Everyone around them thinks they've gone nuts. Tidus was trying to embarrass Yuna and succeeded.

And it is painful to watch and I wish it wasn't in the game.

There's nothing natural or normal about the conversation. None of it is delivered like a human being.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
After hearing this for the 1,000th time, I will now assess the video.

Okay, I'm back. It's still a terrible scene.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
And it is painful to watch and I wish it wasn't in the game.

There's nothing natural or normal about the conversation. None of it is delivered like a human being.
People always point to the laugh itself, which isn't supposed to sound like it's delivered by a human being. It's delivered by a walking, talking ass.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure that Death Stranding line is not meant to be serious at all. Just like that hilariously cheesy slow mo run across the beach afterwards.
Agree. As someone who loved DS, I didn't like that part but it was just a Kojima joke, not some serious dialogue!
At least it was much better than some MGS funny(?) moments like those Akiba scenes in MGS4.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Recent choice is absolutely THAT line from Death Stranding. I get the feeling Kojima's limited English is to blame here, as Japanese people seem to like making weird puns like that in their native language, but he didn't realize just how dumb it sounds in English. Or maybe localization is at fault. Either way, it made ne groan in exactly the wrong way.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
That we're still talking about the laughing scene decades later is proof that it succeeded at being extremely awkward.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
"It was never going to work out for me. It even rained on the day I was born."

"You got it all wrong, you were the lightning in that rain."

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

I think the point there is a lot of people like, call Tidus laugh "bad voice acting", but it's not bad if he is perfectly recreating what's supposed to happen. Like, It's not voice actor that did a bad laugh, where in universe it was a good laugh. It was supposed to be a terrible laugh IN-UNIVERSE, and voice actor job is to reflect what happens IN-UNIVERSE. therefore, even if scene is still bad, VA still did their job.