Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Princess Beach is meta dry humor perfection and I WILL stan

"Not that fragile" sucks though

Also "I was just like any other cliff..." bruh. I overall really like the story in Death Stranding, but it would be so much better with some specific lines of dialogue taken out lol.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Actual worst line from OG FF7 for including ableist language as a result of a bad translation job.

iLo8lPZA6pQiB4ISs_D-n6R3Lu1G6DCMZnP8OEfOyl0.jpg
So, this is only really abelist in retrospect. Remember, the game came out twenty years ago and and language and perspectives change. If you don't believe me, ask Australians about the word "Cunt". Where I live, "Cunt" is an extremely sexist slur and should almost never be said; it's extremely foul. In Australia, its actually extremely frequently in friendly ways, as long as it's with guys.

This is kinda important to point out, as language and culture are constantly evolving things, and this is something that was considered much milder during it's time, and it's a bit silly to retroactively judge it by modern standards. Where I lived "retard" was consiered a mild-to-moderate insult on intelligence at best. Being called a moron was actually a worse insult on intelligence than retard when I was growing up.

Now, you can criticize society for ever using the word "retard" as an insult; using the handicapped as an insult is demeaning to the handicapped, and comment on how it's good that we're moving past that. But, it's not a binary thing were the severity is always the same, so retro-actively treating it according to current standards is bad recipe.

The word "dumb" is in principle a slur as well. It originally referred to people Mute people, who at one time where perceived to be less intelligent. So, in principle if you call someone dumb, your using an ablest slur except: over the years that meaning has vanished. Which again, shows that language is a constantly evolving thing. In principle, someone from a hundred years ago would yell at you for using ablest slurs by calling someone dumb.

As to why I'm going off about this? It's simple: People keep posting this and it's getting annoying because it's taken out of context and blown out of proportion, as though the original game committed some kind of unforgivable sin. And it's like: Yes, that line is no longer appropriate and it's good that it got changed. We know. It's like complaining about Huckleberry Finn's use of certain words when it was that book was written in the 1800's. This does not need to be constantly brought up in unrelated topics like this one.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Gotta be the worst. It's so cringy. And that voice is... not good.
No matter what explanation is given it's just awful (the fact it needs one is maybe proof enough).

Except the explanation is that it's SUPPOSED to be bad. This clip completely removes the context of the scene that sets up why he's laughing so obnoxiously like that in the first place and removes the transition into the natural laugh that follows because of the previous established context.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 has alot of bad dialogue

Heck, Resident Evil 0 suffers too.

Marcus: "It was I who scattered the T-Virus and contimated the train too"

Birken: "What?"

Markus: "Revenge on Umbrella" *Sings opera*

God, this line sucks.

Halo 3's writing and story is a massive downgrade over Halo 2.

Last edited:

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Except the explanation is that it's SUPPOSED to be bad. This clip completely removes the context of the scene that sets up why he's laughing so obnoxiously like that in the first place and removes the transition into the natural laugh that follows because of the previous established context.

I played the game a lot and, therefore, through that part in its entirety (plus, I love FF, even the ones you probably loathe).
It's still terrible. Like, I think it deserves the fame it got.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Resident Evil 4 has alot of bad dialogue

What? The cheesy tone of RE4's dialogue was one of the best things about that game. It contrasted perfectly with the horror atmosphere most of the game has going for it, while not going too overboard that it feels like the game isn't taking itself seriously enough (hello Dead Rising 4).

If RE4 does get remade, I don't want that changed. Up the horror as much as the devs want, but I don't want things to be too dour when it comes to character interactions. Brief moments of brevity can make the whole thing flow much more smoothly.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? The cheesy tone of RE4's dialogue was one of the best things about that game. It contrasted perfectly with the horror atmosphere most of the game has going for it, while not going too overboard that it feels like the game isn't taking itself seriously enough (hello Dead Rising 4).

If RE4 does get remade, I don't want that changed. Up the horror as much as the devs want, but I don't want things to be too dour when it comes to character interactions. Brief moments of brevity can make the whole thing flow much more smoothly.

It's not cheesy, it's just bad. It was literally the writers not being good at writing dialogue.

Apr 26, 2020
Idk this line always cracks me up, maybe it is the combination of the face and the way she says it or because English isnt my main language. Seems like a weird sentence to me.
Maybe not the worst line in video gamesfor everybody , but for me it certainly is XD

sorry-my-face-is-tired-16414348.png

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Gotta be the worst. It's so cringy. And that voice is... not good.
No matter what explanation is given it's just awful (the fact it needs one is maybe proof enough).

I feel like this is like watching a cringey scene from The Office or Nathan for You and thinking it's supposed to be a serious show and saying that the show makers are bad at their job even after someone tells you that it's supposed to be cringey. Like it's totally fine to not like it, but acting like the creators did a poor job when they achieved what they wanted feels like you don't want to admit that you were wrong. I especially get that feeling because people never have a good reason why they still think it's bad after you have sent them a video of the full scene or explained the context to them. They just say "Well it's still bad" without any further explanation.

Last edited:

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

- A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory, a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream.
- Darkness within darkness awaits you.
- The darkness of being alone makes me stronger.
- Oh we don't hate the darkness. It's just kinda... scary.
- So that was Sephiroth. He looks so much like Cloud.
- They stole our —. And not just the —. But the actual word, too!
- Wow, look at that crowd! *Cuts to an empty stadium*
- Who's to say it's even safe inside, Riku?
- Take care of Riku, okay? *Cuts to a wide-eyed Riku lying dead on the floor.*
- Yes, them! They're our arch-nemenies!
- "Why does looking at you always tick me off?" "Who knows, maybe it's destiny."
- I've been having ice cream by myself lately, but it's just not the same. All I taste is the salt and my hands get sticky.
- "You earned this icing on the cake." "Huh?" "C'mon, I'll show you."

And my favorite:
"I was so excited to go to the ball. And my friends made me this beautiful dress. But my stepmother and stepsisters ruined it and started laughing. And now I don't know what I'm supposed to do."
"Darkness always finds a way to a wounded heart. We must cling to the light within, so we can overcome the hardest of trials."

Last edited:

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I feel like this is like watching a cringey scene from The Office or Nathan for You and thinking it's supposed to be a serious show and saying that the show makers are bad at their job even after someone tells you that it's supposed to be cringey. Like it's totally fine to not like it, but acting like the creators did a poor job when they achieved what they wanted feels like you don't want to admit that you were wrong. I especially get that feeling because people never have a good reason why they still think it's bad after you have sent them a video of the full scene or explained the context to them. They just say "Well it's still bad" without any further explanation.

Jesus Christ, I (remember, not you, I) think it's the worst.
Doing fake laughs with that voice acting to the sea to cheer up somebody is cringey to me! This is not Steve Carell in the office, not a dumb person doing sarcarm to another person. It's supposed to be charming and touching. It's the worst to me.

But here, quote this part and be happy:

"Hey, Tidus laugh is great!"
Opa-Opa. April, 2020

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Jesus Christ, I (remember, not you, I) think it's the worst.
Doing fake laughs with that voice acting to the sea to cheer up somebody is cringey to me! This is not Steve Carell in the office, not a dumb person doing sarcarm to another person. It's supposed to be charming and touching. It's the worst to me.

But here, quote this part and be happy:

"Hey, Tidus laugh is great!"
Opa-Opa. April, 2020

The main thing I was responding to was " No matter what explanation is given it's just awful (the fact it needs one is maybe proof enough). " Saying that the need for an explanation is proof that it's awful which I think is pretty dumb and why I made the Office comparison. And as I said if you don't like it that's totally fine. I think the scene is fine, but I don't think it's amazing myself. The Tidus laugh just kinda reminds me of the IGN Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire review with the "Too much water" complaint that people made fun of when that is actually a legitimate complain and they explained why in the text of the review, but because a lot people had not played had game or read the review they acting like the reviewer did a bad job even after the context was explained to them. For some reason that kinda thing really annoys me, so sorry if I came across as a bit hostile that was not my intention.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The mountain is your mother.
In context, this isn't a bad line. It actually makes sense cause they don't know. She came from behind a door in the mountain.

On the flipside people who don't like Death Stranding a free to let go of people that like it.
We're in a thread talking about bad lines. Death Stranding is not off limits. The guy swooping in to defend his game made it this way. It's not like we're in here talking about how the gameplay is awful.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
In context, this isn't a bad line. It actually makes sense cause they don't know. She came from behind a door in the mountain.

We're in a thread talking about bad lines. Death Stranding is not off limits. The guy swooping in to defend his game made it this way. It's not like we're in here talking about how the gameplay is awful.
And now we've made a mile out of a molehill.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality"

Tales of Symphonia 2.

It gets repeated several times like it's the most profound thing ever said too.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next few lines are somehow even worse. "These are not the wings of a monster ... these are ... angel wings."

God knows mid-to-late '00s were full of emo teen angsty drivel.
It's incredible that this scene doesn't even feature the actual worst-written character in the game. Crisis Core was wild.

And to think that there is no solitary scene in Crisis Core that is as bad as the average scene in Third Birthday, which I'm surprised hasn't made an appearance in this thread yet.

PSP-era Square Enix was really on some "next level shit" lol