• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you like it to go?

• One unified YT/Twitch channel where we upload all of our content

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • unified YT/Twitch channel where collabs are uploaded, but solo content stays on individual channels

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • No unified YT/Twitch channel, everyone keeps their own channels and just communicate that way

Votes: 56 57.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, with Super Best Friends Play being finished (I didn't watch them myself but I know many others did), some people have been looking for replacements. I've been thinking though, what if we could be our own replacements? Maybe we can start trying to make our own let's plays and livestreams and share them with each other? Of course, it's not really a complete replacement, but I thought it'd be interesting trying to be a community that way in which we can try to help each other grow and improve.

EDIT: So, with the number of people interested, I decided to create a Discord server to try to make it easier to manage/discuss:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's pretty much already a whole forum dedicated to that at lpzone, but itd be neat

if only i had either A a good voice or B money streaming/lps would be a fun hobby

edit: They're also formed from the remnants of SomethingAwful after Lowtax went shitty. Basically the Resetera of SA

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's pretty much already a whole forum dedicated to that at lpzone, but itd be neat

if only i had either A a good voice or B money streaming/lps would be a fun hobby

edit: They're also formed from the remnants of SomethingAwful after Lowtax went shitty. Basically the Resetera of SA

Well, there'd definitely be growing pains, I myself am horribly shy and awkward, but that's why I think we need others to give us suggestions, confidence and ideas for improvement.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there'd definitely be growing pains, I myself am horribly shy and awkward, but that's why I think we need others to give us suggestions, confidence and ideas for improvement.
its one of those things where I love being ass at games and showing things I love to people, but I get a little too enthusiastic in a way to a lot might come off disingenuous(especially jumpscare games where im a huge baby)

But i sure as hell'd give it a try given the chance

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
its one of those things where I love being ass at games and showing things I love to people, but I get a little too enthusiastic in a way to a lot might come off disingenuous(especially jumpscare games where im a huge baby)

But i sure as hell'd give it a try given the chance

Ah, I'm actually more of the opposite in that things like jumpscares and the like really have no effect on me =D I am not sure what your budget is/what you have to work with, but maybe you could concoct something up within your limits.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
I've just started getting into both platforms.

I really really need to work on my commentary and such.

I think I do a pretty decent job with my edits and such for my youtube stuff. Live streaming is a different beast. I think I have everything set up right, now it's just getting my personal brand integrated into the alerts and such.

It doesn't help either that I'm not the best at multiplayer games like RL or R6. I struggle big time on comiting to streaming cause I just get nervous about it.

It also doesnt help that when my friends are on, they dont exactly have the best....language..

Anyway I'd love for a group of similar people to get feedback or suggestions from.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was already a resetera set up on twitch?
I dont think that can really apply in this instance? Although I'm not sure how Twitch works on the technical side.

Ah, I'm actually more of the opposite in that things like jumpscares and the like really have no effect on me =D I am not sure what your budget is/what you have to work with, but maybe you could concoct something up within your limits.
I've definitely thought about nabbing an Elgato from the sales every now and then, so its not... out of the question completely.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/twitch-streamers-of-era-list-yourself-here.15542/

It was locked because this kind of topic just devolves into self-promotion.
thats a shame :/

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/twitch-streamers-of-era-list-yourself-here.15542/

It was locked because this kind of topic just devolves into self-promotion.

Well, the hope would be that people would provide feedback rather than just promoting themselves. Also, while others may use Twitch I myself use YT more since I frequently can't watch people while they're live streaming and from making videos in the past I am a bit stuck in my pre-recorded ways, so hopefully this would be a bit more broad.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
So like how do you guys handle commentary? I find that I'm pretty quite unless I'm either super concentrated on talking or if my friends are in a party chat with me

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like how do you guys handle commentary? I find that I'm pretty quite unless I'm either super concentrated on talking or if my friends are in a party chat with me
As a viewer rather than streamer, imo a good way with streaming is to interact with the chat often. Instead of just being a video for them to watch, add a little interactivity. Gives viewers a more personal interest both in you as a person and just general motivation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a viewer rather than streamer, imo a good way with streaming is to interact with the chat often. Instead of just being a video for them to watch, add a little interactivity. Gives viewers a more personal interest both in you as a person and just general motivation.

Yeah, that helps a lot for livestreamers. However, since I tend to do pre-recorded videos I tend to have to come up with commentary on my own.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017

That's great advice. Problem is i have a stream with zero viewers alot of the time. So I dont get to really practice I guess?

I guess I feel like I either ramble or dont have anything particularly interesting to say?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that helps a lot for livestreamers. However, since I tend to do pre-recorded videos I tend to have to come up with commentary on my own.
Do you edit your videos? A lot of solo LPers i see tend to edit their videos down to the "best of" bits so, even if there was a lot of dead air during initial recording, the final product is never too quiet.

Though, editing like that only really works well for the LPs leaning more heavily on comedy or blind reactions, so it's not always a great solution.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested. I'm good at talking about what I'm playing, but I usually have 0 viewers so I'm not motivated to do it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's great advice. Problem is i have a stroke with zero viewers alot of the time. So I dont get to really practice I guess?

I guess I feel like I either ramble or dont have anything particularly interesting to say?
TBH I feel I'd be similar. If it were something I was super passionate about, like Silent Hill, I'd be able to easily talk out my ass for hours. But for most other things, nah. Unless Im being bad at the game(which happens a lot sadly lol), Id not have much to go on. It's why if I did focus hard on lps/streams id much rather have a partner or two to bounce off of.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yes definitely ! This is a great idea to have an Era channel. Maybe even have some MP streams going on and make it a variety channel.
I'd even be interested in participating as a streamer/creator.

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
I can talk the ear off of people so I'm super down for this
I got a channel but I guest star and help out other channels all the the time and I love promoting this site

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Having never watched them myself, could someone explain what was "special" about Super Best Friends Play? Like, what was unique about them and their selling point compared to other streamers, and what of it can be effectively "substituted" by ERA people streaming themselves?

I only just learned about them when they stopped, so I don't know what their unique trade was. I would actually be mildly interested in the topic of streaming and such, but the problem is that I am not a native English speaker. So while I would probably be able to do some english commentary, I would be playing games in German and I think that would turn a lot of international folks off. But maybe I'm wrong.

pixelat3d

Dec 7, 2017
I go out of my way to mostly stream things no one has any interest in watching, and so far it has worked out exactly as expected 😁👍

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Sounds like a great idea. My capture card has pretty much been relegated to being a component to hdmi adapter so I'd love an excuse to actually use it.
1000 part Era Minecraft lp when?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having never watched them myself, could someone explain what was "special" about Super Best Friends Play? Like, what was unique about them and their selling point compared to other streamers, and what of it can be effectively "substituted" by ERA people streaming themselves?

I only just learned about them when they stopped, so I don't know what their unique trade was. I would actually be mildly interested in the topic of streaming and such, but the problem is that I am not a native English speaker. So while I would probably be able to do some english commentary, I would be playing games in German and I think that would turn a lot of international folks off. But maybe I'm wrong.
They existed long before streaming, and came about at the start of LP popularity. They were a group of people that meshed well together and did near exclusively group content instead of the solo stuff most did.

Also, you don't have to do english commentary! You could do exclusively german streams. There's tons of german stream watchers.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I'd be interested. My life is kinda hectic right now but if I had a couple of people chatting with me I'd give it a serious chance. I've done Twitch/Mixer/YouTube Streaming before but I only get about 2 people max chatting/viewing occasionally so it was hard to keep streaming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you edit your videos? A lot of solo LPers i see tend to edit their videos down to the "best of" bits so, even if there was a lot of dead air during initial recording, the final product is never too quiet.

Though, editing like that only really works well for the LPs leaning more heavily on comedy or blind reactions, so it's not always a great solution.

That works for highlight channels, but for me I try to do full playthroughs. The way I see it, I just have to get more practice (and since I don't mind all too much about viewcount I shouldn't have to worry much about getting depressed because of that).

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes definitely ! This is a great idea to have an Era channel. Maybe even have some MP streams going on and make it a variety channel.
I'd even be interested in participating as a streamer/creator.

An Era channel, as in a Twitch/YouTube channel? I can see an issue with that, as that'd require approval from the staff which I don't see happening. However, if it is independent from Era branding I guess it could work, but it sounds like a lot of work.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, the old 0 viewers thing is rough. It's difficult to entertain if no one's there, I feel like an insane person.
A group of people in there participating and being a community would be helpful.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
An Era channel, as in a Twitch/YouTube channel? I can see an issue with that, as that'd require approval from the staff which I don't see happening. However, if it is independent from Era branding I guess it could work, but it sounds like a lot of work.
Well we can brand it something else but it'd be people from here.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reading multiple "0 viewers" posts now, I think there might actually be a lot of potential for the community to come together for this now. If multiple people work with each other, I see a real chance of creating something valuable. If you, like most people, have next to no viewers, it might be so incredibly helpful to have other ERA members watch and evaluate your content in constructive ways. Like, what about having a bunch of members here, willing to help you improve, watch for half an hour and give you detailed feedback on what's good and what's bad and what they think you could do to improve? That would be such a great thing to have.

I will be following the development of this thread with great interest!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading multiple "0 viewers" posts now, I think there might actually be a lot of potential for the community to come together for this now. If multiple people work with each other, I see a real chance of creating something valuable. If you, like most people, have next to no viewers, it might be so incredibly helpful to have other ERA members watch and evaluate your content in constructive ways. Like, what about having a bunch of members here, willing to help you improve, watch for half an hour and give you detailed feedback on what's good and what's bad and what they think you could do to improve? That would be such a great thing to have.

I will be following the development of this thread with great interest!
And a group opt in thing where multiple people stream together would help solo streams too, as group streams gather viewers much easier, and exposing people to the solo content as well.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
That would be cool, though I feel like with my limited set up of just the built-in streaming support on the consoles and late night availability might not help much for a official-unofficial channel.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, so I think we can try to get something sorted out!! I think we just need to go over the specifics of what we'd like to do as a community first though before diving in.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If I had better internet I'd be happy to try some streaming. I did a few LP's on YouTube, but I didn't get a lot of interaction and it was hard to upload consistently because of said internet and going through a year of serious illnesses. Maybe later on I can come by and maybe join in.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The other forum has a pretty neat "streamers live now" button that's visible on a lot of pages, I wouldn't mind if we copied that. It's relatively unobtrusive but still allows people to get a lot of visibility.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oheao !!!

You got a solid idea here. If we had a team, and a lot of us who couldn't consistently stream but would like to try it here and there could get into it oh, that would be cool. I'm sure some people would like to drop in and do a session just once in awhile. I know I would.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm certainly interested! I tried my hand at streaming earlier in the year for a few months, but the grind of doing constant commentary when I know there's 0 viewers got to be too grating on me emotionally. But I've been mulling over getting back into it at the start of the new year, so this sounds right up my alley.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The other forum has a pretty neat "streamers live now" button that's visible on a lot of pages, I wouldn't mind if we copied that. It's relatively unobtrusive but still allows people to get a lot of visibility.

This sounds like a great idea . Just started streaming again here , it's been pretty fun so far despite the lack of viewers . Very good opportunity to brush up some public speaking skills .