• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a cheaper non-portable Switch?

• Don't own a Switch, Yes

Votes: 208 23.6%
  • Don't own a Switch, No

Votes: 98 11.1%
  • Own a Switch, yes(if I had the choice)

Votes: 94 10.7%
  • Own a Switch, no(if I had the choice)

Votes: 482 54.6%

• Total voters

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
I know I would buy a cheaper non-DOCKABLE Switch, that's for sure. I can't use the Switch as a handheld. It's too big.

That's where I'm at, I have small hands.

Give me the Switch mini for 200€ :

ob_0b956b_capture-d-e-cran-2017-04-25-a-21.png

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Switch because it is a handheld and there are some multiplatform games coming. Have no interest in an underpowered console.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 2DS exists and if I follow the logic, the 3D of the 3DS was it's main selling point.

the 3D feature was also only rated for kids 7 and up and the 2DS released ahead of Pokemon. also the feature that was cut (3D) is baked right into the name of the console (2DS) without losing the DS branding. I don't think the Switch has that luxury nor is its main hook limited to people ages 7 and up. would they call the home console version the Nintendo Stay? the Nintendo Stationary? how would they communicate that it's under the same umbrella as the Switch and plays all the same games? what about the handheld only games? sounds like a nightmare for their marketing and Nintendo definitely doesn't need that. it'd be a big unforced error on their part. it also just doesn't make any sense given how the vast majority of Switch owners use the system never mind the fact that the Switch's hybrid functionality already caters to the small amount of people who only use it docked.

herbchamberz

Oct 27, 2017
I was a Wii owner. I was a Wii U owner. I bought them because I wanted to play Nintendo games. Same reason I bought a Switch. But what I didn't realize I would end up doing is playing all these indie titles in portable mode. And I think that kind of echoes the results of your poll so far. I just wanted to play Nintendo games. But now the form factor, as well Nintendo's focus on "Nindies" and other third party titles, expanded how I intended to use the system.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also be contrary and say "hell yes"..

I pretty much left mine docked all the time so I could play it as I do PS4/X1, on a larger screen etc. But I ended up donating it to my son to replace the Vita that I gave him that obviously has no use anymore..

C-Ron

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
United States
Different revisions are possible but not really needed. The only feasible thing I see Nintendo doing is making a cheaper, non-portable solution meant to play lighter eShop games and whatever the successor to the Virtual Console brand is.

Oct 25, 2017
No. Even if they would do that, I ended up using portable mode way more then I thought. The idea of a handheld/console was perfectly nailed. Its totally worth an extra amount of money for the portability.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Switch because you can go between both modes of play so seamlessly. That's the entire appeal of the thing to begin with.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
the 3D feature was also only rated for kids 7 and up and the 2DS released ahead of Pokemon. also the feature that was cut (3D) is baked right into the name of the console (2DS) without losing the DS branding. I don't think the Switch has that luxury nor is its main hook limited to people ages 7 and up. would they call the home console version the Nintendo Stay? the Nintendo Stationary? how would they communicate that it's under the same umbrella as the Switch and plays all the same games? what about the handheld only games? sounds like a nightmare for their marketing and Nintendo definitely doesn't need that. it'd be a big unforced error on their part. it also just doesn't make any sense given how the vast majority of Switch owners use the system.

The name "Switch" doesn't necessarily have to represent a function of the console, I understand that in it's current form it does, but I don't think having a "Switch Home" for example would muddy anything. I certainly don't think offering a cheaper alternative with one of the features some people have no intention of using, would be bad for Nintendo.

It's not like anyone's saying they should stop selling the current version at all, just that choice is a good thing.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone remember those constant requests for Nintendo to release a cheaper Wii U sans Gamepad?

I bet that had a better chance of happening than this.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Nope. I already have various stationary machines that are more powerful and have tons of games. My switch is special because of what it is. The games are great, don't get me wrong, they are special and add to the appeal of Switch, but being able to play it wherever and then come home and dock right back into my game is what seals the deal.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
That's where I'm at, I have small hands.

Give me the Switch mini for 200€ :

ob_0b956b_capture-d-e-cran-2017-04-25-a-21.png
The Joycon are a major part of the system that I can't see Nintendo ever excluding from the bundle. Games like 1 2 Switch and Just Dance need them and games like Mario Odyssey heavily recommended them. Imagine booting up Odyssey and seeing the Joycon Splash screen without having a pair to hand? Switch can switch. It's the point of the system. It can switch between a handheld and a console and a single player device to a multiplayer one in a snap. If Switch ever gets a miniature version I can't see the Joycon going anywhere. Without the Joycon and flexible form factor Switch isn't Switch.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Yes. Considering getting a second Switch at some point for the gf and we aren't going to need two portable ones. I'll happily trade portability for a better price in my case.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I so want that. Get rid of screen and battery and the need to make everything fit in a flat design and just give me a cheaper box I can plug into the TV. It is a no brainer in my opinion, give consumers the option.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A smaller "docked version" would be cool.

A device like the PlayStation TV. No screen, slot to put the game in, 3-4 USB ports, Bluetooth (for headphones), LAN port, WiFi, SD port for storage expansion for $100? I'm in.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The name "Switch" doesn't necessarily have to represent a function of the console, I understand that in it's current form it does, but I don't think having a "Switch Home" for example would muddy anything. I certainly don't think offering a cheaper alternative with one of the features some people have no intention of using, would be bad for Nintendo.

It's not like anyone's saying they should stop selling the current version at all, just that choice is a good thing.

if that choice muddles their message up and causes confusion among consumers then it would be a bad thing, absolutely. the Switch already accommodates people who only want to play docked by the very nature of its hybrid functionality. also yes calling it the Switch Home would cause confusion for consumers. how could it not? imagine how many parents would be back at the store they bought it at confused as to why their Switch doesn't switch.

the general gist of this thread to me is that people want a cheaper version of the Switch, which is fine, but expecting a price drop for a console that's selling extremely well, isn't even a year old, and hasn't even been through a holiday season yet is unrealistic. patience people, patience. the Switch will not be $299 for its entire life.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I always see people say Nintendo made the 2DS it's no big deal to make a Switch that doesn't Switch. But the Switching element is also strongly tied to the Joy-cons and those are more akin to the Dual Screen aspect of the DS and 3DS and 2DS. Think of the logos for these systems. The dual screen is featured on the DS line an the Joy-Cons are featured on the Switch. And Nintendo never gave up the Dual Screen concept on that line.

Introducing a machine without those Joy-cons would require a lot of explaining. It would be like launching a whole new console. I can only imagine that would be worth it late in the Switch's life and as a means to squeeze a few more bucks out of it.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Probably if it's cheap enough, but I don't think Nintendo should do it. And I think I'd end up regretting it.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
No, I almost exclusively play mine portable, the other way around maybe. The hybrid nature is really amazing though, top feature for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Memphis, TN
I don't think that Nintendo would ever do it but if they did yes I would buy it. I dont have a lot of interest in portability and would probably buy a significantly discounted switch if I could treat it like a normal console. But Like I said I think the likelihood of it happening is pretty low.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's far more likely we'll get a stripped-down, portable-only Switch aimed at the younger market a la 2DS. Something sturdy, smaller, without the removable controllers and dock for a lower price that would be able to crack the kid market that has been strong for Nintendo in the past (but which might not be serviced as well by the pricier Switch).

A Switch microconsole just smacks of PlayStation TV. I don't think it's a great market.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Definitely. The switch being half portable is a negative to me because I feel like I'm paying for a screen and battery that I'm never going to use.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
?

I don't see at all how this is a logical conclusion. What would they add to the console that would make it more expensive?

A non portable wouldn't make sense unless you get the extra performance out of it, the extra processing power and cooling and a constant 1080.

I don't see how it could it be made cheaper unless you're downgrading.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
if that choice muddles their message up and causes confusion among consumers then it would be a bad thing, absolutely. the Switch already accommodates people who only want to play docked by the very nature of its hybrid functionality. also yes calling it the Switch Home would cause confusion for consumers. how could it not? imagine how many parents would be back at the store they bought it at confused as to why their Switch doesn't switch.

the general gist of this thread to me is that people want a cheaper version of the Switch, which is fine, but expecting a price drop for a console that's selling extremely well, isn't even a year old, and hasn't even been through a holiday season yet is unrealistic. patience people, patience. the Switch will not be $299 for its entire life.

You may be right, I'd imagine after their issues with marketing the Wii U they'd be very careful about their branding.

Looking at the question slightly differently though, if the console was the same price regardless of portability I think I'd still go for the non-portable version, as there's less parts to fail and therefore I feel it'd stand a better chance of lasting longer. I do however realise I am in the minority.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love my Switch but had it not been portable then I'd probably not have put a quarter of the time into it that I have

No from me

sourbeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aww here
The more thought I've given this, the more I'd walk away (playing my Switch :lol). Even they hit a $200 MSRP or some ridiculous. Outside of Zelda and Mario (which are still great fun with company) almost all of my enjoyment from the Switch itself comes from the detachable controllers AND I truly believe the locations I've chosen to break it out. I have more luck finding other players literally outside my apartment, in the doggy doo doo area than I do trying to battle ISP and every other collegiate living around. I'm pretty introverted by nature but, like the Gameboy before it, commonalities get me outta my shell. I like that.

Plus, I remember how much I loved the idea of that attachable Gamecube screen... Well, tomato tomato, for me anyway. Portable home console was always one of my childhood fantasies.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Taking into account Nintendo is selling standalone docks for like $80 (whether it's worth that much or not is another story) and Reggie's recent talk about hitting the $100 and $200 price point this holidays with the 2DS and 3DS family, I can clearly see Nintendo releasing a regular Switch but with no dock and no joycon handle for $200 as soon as they can financially justify it, or as soon as a mainline Pokémon game hits the system.

It's not in their best interest to split the userbase with a Vita-like system with non-detachable joycons like so many people have been requesting or implying for almost a year already (since it was announced basically). If anything, they might end up making a Switch XL with the same body size so current joycons still fit but a bigger screen with less bezels.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Not necessarily a cheaper one. But a non-portable with the fabled SCD or a SCD-Dock for the portable Switch, I'd buy instantly. Not sure how many developers would support it, but it'd be a nice way to upgrade the console in a few years without the need to buy an entire new hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the option to have it be portable. I play mainly docked, especially at home, but if my TV is preoccupied or I want to go to a friends place or kill some time during break at work, then there's nothing else like that out there.
I first saw myself as just being a Docked only kind of guy, but after getting it, I just can't not have that option to take it on the go.

This, all the way. I rarely play out of the dock, but whenever I'm travelling or having slow days at work, it's a miracle. I need the option.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I know what you mean. And it's infectious, whenever I bring this bad boy to a public place it gets more converts. It's a dream come true for long airplane rides.
I've always had a fascination with small form factor/portable devices. I remember playing Ocarina of Time 3D and being amazed I was playing a graphically enhanced version of one of my all time favorite console games portably. I had the same feeling when playing Mario World and FFVI on the GBA. Now we've gotten to the point that Nintendo has just begun releasing all their new games on a portable system. It really makes sense that I love my Switch as much as I do considering how obsessed I've always been with playing console games on the go, well before it was in vogue. I'd love to see an XB1P someday, especially if the current ecosystem sticks around.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
If I was tethered to a TV to use the device I would have never bought one in the first place. I am 85-90% portable.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Please. Nintendo, make this happen.

The only reason I'm interested in the Switch is for the exclusives. Couldn't care less about portability.

Selerulf

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really hope Nintendo makes a cheap non-portable Switch for third world countries, I just want to play Nintendo games.
I don't own a Switch but even my 2DS I use it exclusive in home and carry it with me only in travels that I have a safe place to use it free from sight of strangers.