Which would prefer?

• Hybrid

Votes: 1,420 85.9%
  • Standalone console and/or handheld

Votes: 234 14.1%

• Total voters

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
They'll never go back to that business model.. But I'd much rather have a dedicated small handheld than a hybrid.

The games and the size ensure that'll never ever take my Switch outside.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hybrid is the core, but on a technical level, like the Switch is not that far away from XB1/PS4 level performance, heck it can already run some games like Witcher 3 and NBA 2K and Overwatch and DOOM as is.

If Nintendo said to Nvidia "hey give us a Tegra chip with 2.5x the CUDA cores and double the memory bandwidth", you'd have a compact little 25 watt system that could run basically any PS4/XB1 game plus all Switch games at higher resolutions/performance.

The issue really is more would 3rd parties really care that much to make games specific for that SKU. That's probably a no. The industry has kind been down this road -- three consoles that play the same games just isn't some that's a big need for developers or consumers.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no going back from the hybrid model, and it's better that way unless people really want another failure of a home system, and are also absolutely eager for 70 dollar Nintendo games.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I much prefer the hybrid model. As much as I would like Nintendo to release a next-gen equivalent console, their output is far better when it's focused on a singular platform. Given I mostly buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo titles, I think it's best that they just release all their titles in one place.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Personally I would prefer a dedicated home console since right now I'm paying for features I rarely use and at the same time sacrificing performance.

Obviously from a business and development stand point it doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to go back to that model.

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
I'm just not a mobile gamer anymore. Personally, I'd rather they make a home console.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
If they did they would share the same library, so really it would just be two different form factors.

Nintendo is never going back because handhelds are now powerful enough to run the kinds of games Nintendo usually makes. Nintendo realized this when their 3DS games got way too similar to their Wii U games. Other Japanese developers ran into the same conclusion on the PSP and Vita.

The Switch feels like the logical conclusion of all non-AAA Japaese gaming.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Although the Switch isn't as "portable" as previous handhelds, the fact that I can easily play "home console" games at work is one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me. I don't ever wanna go back!

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Unless Nintendo has something really unique to give us in the home console space that absolutely can't be done in handheld mode (mind control or something and even then you could do it if the controller acted as wireless headphones), hybrid gaming is the perfect market to compete in. The only thing they need to compete against is cloud gaming.

To do a home console it'd have to:

- Be compatible with all Switch games
- Be very close to whatever is currently in the market home console wise, even if they have to use DLSS to match things 1:1, but essentially have teh capability of getting third party support without having to spend much time on it and still get the same results. Rather than Witcher 3 where it was a long time and cost lots of money
- Be unique in some way that separates itself from the rest, like I said mind control or something.

Otherwise, just give me Switch consoles and peripherals.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I always buy both of their systems, and they're always underpowered anyway, so may as well be a hybrid.

My only concern about the hybrid model, though, is complacency from Nintendo with the amount of games they're releasing. The Switch has some serious droughts, which was normal before. But since I owned both the handheld/console, there was usually something out on one or the other. This hybrid model was supposed to unify their development, which I assumed would be more productive. Instead, I feel it's the opposite.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I only play Switch docked so if a standard console is what will get me the most visually pleasing Nintendo games then that's what I want.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always buy both of their systems, and they're always underpowered anyway, so may as well be a hybrid.

My only concern about the hybrid model, though, is complacency from Nintendo with the amount of games they're releasing. The Switch has some serious droughts, which was normal before. But since I owned both the handheld/console, there was usually something out on one or the other. This hybrid model was supposed to unify their development, which I assumed would be more productive. Instead, I feel it's the opposite.

Complacency??? They've massively expanded, and they still put out more games per year almost every year than any other publisher.

The problem is any gains in unifying development were probably spent on 1) the higher development requirements for a hd console game Vs 3ds and 2) The expectation that almost any big title has ongoing development after launch. Mario odyssey, breath of the wild, xenoblade 2, splatoon 2, new horizons, Pokémon, arms, so on... All have varying levels of post release support where most of the predecessors could push the retail release out and then move on to the next project, which isn't the case any more.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Complacency??? They've massively expanded, and they still put out more games per year almost every year than any other publisher.

The problem is any gains in unifying development were probably spent on 1) the higher development requirements for a hd console game Vs 3ds and 2) The expectation that almost any big title has ongoing development after launch. Mario odyssey, breath of the wild, xenoblade 2, splatoon 2, new horizons, Pokémon, arms, so on... All have varying levels of post release support where most of the predecessors could push the retail release out and then move on to the next project, which isn't the case any more.

I only played two games from Nintendo first party this year (Animal Crossing and Paper Mario). And I don't recall anything new coming out later in 2020 either. Two notable releases within a year is pretty abysmal.

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
Why not both? I mean we got the switch lite this gen and a digital only switch "pro" would be awesome for people who dont care about portable. I hope the next console by nintendo is the switch 2 followed by switch lite 2 and switch pro 2.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
They are. This is the only place in the world where a good number of people exclusively play their Switch docked.
I mean I play mine docked a lot man, but I know I CAN undock it if I need to

I buy lots of indies and multi platform games at a lower quality just so I can have the option of portable. It's the best.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The great thing about the hybrid model is the game library parity. Nintendo handheld consoles usually get amazing support while the consoles lagg behind a little bit.
On the other hand, the hybrid model also comes with downsides. They can't really go all in with power since they need to balance it for handheld mode.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
things would be way worse if they split again.

portable devices are at a point they need HD-level budgets for their top of the line games. a bunch of late 3DS games only existed because of their super low budget.

also, there's the fact that having both machines in 1 means you no longer have the limitation of being locked to the device's screen. with Switch, it doesn't matter if the actual screen is that good or too tiny since you can just play on TV if the portable isn't enough.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Hybrid.

I don't want Game Freak to have the excuse of saying it's a handheld game only for their low quality products.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
A dedicated home console would likely have increased performance so that would benefit me more as I don't enjoy playing the Switch in handheld mode.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
No way!! Switch is a great platform and very innovative. Going back to separate consoles would be stupid.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Why choose when you could have both?
- An affordable handheld device.
- An hybrid device.
- A TV device with enhanced graphics.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hybrid all the way. The fact that I can paly on my TV, take the console out to the kitchen if I want to make a cuppa and then bring it back with barely any interruption in play is near enough gaming perfection.
A friend of mine argued that you can get mobile gaming on the PS4 with Remote Play, but I told him that whilst he's struggling for a network connection, I'm playing Skyrim on top of a mountain with a snowboard strapped to my feet (true story).

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo going hybrid is the best thing that has ever happened in the industry except mayve game pass.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The hybrid concept is the best hardware idea Nintendo has had in a long, long time. I hope they continue to make hybrids for the foreseeable future.

Oct 29, 2017
I voted hybrid, but I would not be against them releasing a TV-only switch. I never use my switch portable, so I have zero need for a screen or battery. Give me a small box like the nvidia shield and ship it with a pro controller.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
We'll eventually end up with Switch, Switch Lite and Switch Pro this gen, and I'm all for them offering that choice from the get go next time.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Hybrid all the way.

Until something like VR/AR glasses (actual glasses sized, not the current full on headsets) becomes a mainstream commodity, I'd say that's the way Nintendo should go forward with all their future consoles.

Love the benefits of the Switch. Having Nintendo's home console software as a true on-the-go experience when needed, but as the full TV/projector experience otherwise is glorious. Having software Nintendo would otherwise release for their handhelds (Pokemon...) on a stationary TV platform as well as in a handheld experience is also glorious.

That's not to say that I'm against branching out their platform to handheld only (Switch Lite) and stationary only, non-handheld (hypothetical "Switch home"?) "sister devices". But for me, the hybrid capability must be at the center and in general, the software must be playable on all of the device variations the same way.

And while they're at it... I believe it's also the time Nintendo didn't start developing a software library from scratch with every new hardware generation they release. PS5 and Series X/S make backwards compatiblity with improvements a central selling point and I feel Nintendo ought to do it as well. Bring on a Switch 2, that can render Breath of the Wild (+ Sequel) and the rest of the Switch library at 4k 60fps, please!

Last edited:

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
We already have two home console. Nintendo offers something unique and different with the switch and I hope they continue to do so. It offers so many benefits. You can play it anyway you wish, a good software selection, the best elements of their most successful console (wii), a home for Indies, its a great console.

I can understand people wanting a more ergonomic handheld, (I don't mind it personally), it is something they can probably further develop with the lite range.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'd like them to come up with an architecture that allows multiple SKUs / target builds. Give me a hybrid that can have a real boost when connected to a premium dock.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
If they did that, I'd probably stop playing videogames all together like I did after 2012. The hybrid concept literally brought me back.
Yep, I played a little bit on PS4 for a while but I never managed to finish anything give or take a few games. Nintendo going back to consoles doesn't really make sense for Nintendo as they are dependant on unique ideas rather then horsepower. A docked Switch is pretty much what you would expect from a console only Nintendo so the handheld part is what makes it stand out for me.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
i dont see a point in returning to an arms race and having three consoles that do the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Hybrid, only because I don't play handhelds but I want to play the games that release on handhelds. Hybrid is the perfect model for that since I get to play all of those games on my TV not some small ass screen.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 hardwares running the same games. Portable only, Hybrid and TV Only. I hate to pay for a hybrid model that barely achieves 1080p.