• Hybrid

Votes: 1,420 85.9%
  • Standalone console and/or handheld

Votes: 234 14.1%

• Total voters

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
If it meant that the machine would be more powerful, then yes I would definitely prefer it to be a standard console. I never use mine in handheld mode, so...

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked their previous handhelds and consoles, but now I think the hybrid route is here to stay. There's not much difference to me between portable and console games anymore. So I like having a console I can take on the go.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hybrid till the day they die. They can be their own thing and really set themselves apart from the competition. It also should bring in more games with less drought.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I think they should carry on the "Switch" and "Switch Lite option for handheld" model, but with better build quality.

I can't see them going back to the home console market, and the hybrid form factor is just too good.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
i hope they stick to the formula, as they can grab almost all gaming player types and focus on developing games and gathering support for one platform.
However, I can totally see Nintendo expanding their gaming devices under one ecosystem, like having the Switch, or whatever comes next, having hybrid, handheld only and home game only

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never played a switch in portable mode, and have zero intention of ever doing so, I would be fine with a stronger console with games built with a larger screen in mind, while Nintendo also expands more into the mobile sphere where my phone will always be a superior hardware option than any dedicated handheld device Nintendo will ever come up with.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
There are times where I mostly play handheld/tabletop and other times where I mostly play docked. Sometimes I go back and forth. What I like is flexibility. So stick with the hybrid. It best suits my playstyle.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate the hybrid system because I'm not a portable gamer, and being hybrid equals underpowered systems, performance and graphics. Not a deal for me.
The perfect scenario should be a Switch + a traditional console with more power, something like the Series X / Series S. Until then Nintendo is a big noooope for me.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I realize Im in the minority here but dammit I miss Nintendo's old handhelds and I want the dedicated line back. The Lite just doesnt feel the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
I would prefer for them to have a 1080p handheld that docks to your tv. The dock could be sold seperately. In the dock would be another gpu that could output 4k.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I always loved the Nintendo handhelds more than their consoles and honestly with the switch there are far too few games that give me that handheld feeling, when playing in handheld mode most games just feel like watered down console experiences.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Switch feels more like a handheld. And unless they match sony and microsoft in power they should just stay with the hybrid model.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I enjoyed having the DS and 3DS to play older styles of games, or games more tailored for handheld play. It was a great way to get lower budget games that probably wouldn't sell enough to make sense as a console release. Also the Switch has always felt a little too large for my tastes.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I hope they just keep iterating on the Switch concept, but given how it's Nintendo, they'll probably get bored and do something else in a few years that most people beyond Nintendo die hards don't like.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
They CANT go back to the way things were after this. Hybrid has shown how powerful the format is. Keeping all their devs on one platform is great and the switch is selling millions and millions.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Would you personally like Nintendo to go back to TV console and Handheld = I'm not remotely interested in what you want.
Do you think Nintendo should go back from a business/success perspective = Engaging content.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not. Having everything on one system and choosing which way you'd like to play is the best of both worlds

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Hybrid to avoid splitting development resources. Or situations where games are not playable on TV even though we want them to be.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't care as long as I can play on the big screen in a proper (1080p +) resolution and 60fps.

Not a fan of blurry 720p games in choppy 30fps in 2020.

And if they make a hybrid again, they should make sure to adjust ALL games to the tiny screen, text size, user interface and all. The current generation of games is horrible in this regard. Most games are simply made for TV mode and then slapped onto a tiny screen without any adjustements whatsoever.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the problem of having all sorts of hardware as long as they keep the libraries shared. Obviously they should never go back to having distinct lines with separate releases, but otherwise rolling out a stationary console that plays the same games expect at 4k+bells and whistles, or whatever, sounds fine.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
God no. Unless they suddenly got the urge to compete on power, the Switch model is exactly what I need from Nintendo. I really don't like playing handhelds, so I missed out on a lot of great DS and 3DS experiences because I find it to be a really uncomfortable experience. With the Switch there's no fear of missing out on great games, plus I have a handheld available for plane rides or the few other scenarios where I want one.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The hybrid concept is here to stay at least for the foreseeable future.
What I believe will happen though is that Nintendo will introduce down the road a new kind of platform separated from the main line of consoles (the Switch line) even if it could reuse some components/tools.
My guess is that Nintendo will try their hand with a AR based console platform in a not so distant future.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't care as long as I can play on the big screen in a proper (1080p +) resolution and 60fps.

Not a fan of blurry 720p games in choppy 30fps in 2020.

And if they make a hybrid again, they should make sure to adjust ALL games to the tiny screen, text size, user interface and all. The current generation of games is horrible in this regard. Most games are simply made for TV mode and then slapped onto a tiny screen without any adjustements whatsoever.
Blame the developers, not Nintendo.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.
They are eating everyone's lunch atm, next-gen won't move the needle very much this year either.

There will be more Switch form factors, but the days of discrete consoles vs handheld with their own bespoke games are over.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, the hybrid model is the best thing to happen to video games (in terms of methods of delivery etc.). I always loved things like the Super Game Boy, which let me play Pokemon on my TV and then bring it on the go etc. - and the Switch is basically the ultimate fulfillment of that idea.

To see Nintendo revert back to what they were doing would be deeply upsetting lol. This is something I've always wanted and the Switch is basically my dream system.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
With the current resouces needed for HD Development, I don't think this would be a succesfull strategy. Fans already complain about their output when they have 1 main platform to support, imagine if they had to distribute resouces.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Unless they decide they want a dedicated VR platform (and I don't think they do), I agree.
yeah I guess that'd be the only caveat to my thinking unless they heavily relied on third party support which is similar to how PS Vr operates (while also having quality first party software mind you)

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
I will never forget the way people used to get roasted for asking that Nintendo commit to a hybrid. Goes to show that fans know what they want sometimes huh.

They should stick with the hybrid model until the wheels fall off.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
No.. the only reason I was interested in the Switch was the hybrid factor. I have no interest in a Nintendo Console (pretty much everything I want to play will be done better on xbox or Playstation) and I like handhelds that can do more console like quality games (so the hybrid factor of Switch has finally had Nintendo make a handheld I'm interested in).

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, and many other Japanese developers, just don't make games anymore that are impossible on handheld systems. Hybrid is what makes the most sense for their market.

The only logical next step is a docked experience that outputs a signal that doesn't look like shit on 4K TVs.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I definitely would not prefer if they went back to their old ways. I haven't turned my 3DS or Wii U on at all since I bought Switch. The form factor is literally perfect. If they just keep finding ways each gen to make it better and to be close enough to the other consoles' power to get some decent ports then I'm sold.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
the only reason i'm sticking with the hybrid model is that the alternative is only worth it if nintendo focused on power with their consoles again. but if nintendo's not going to bother with making their consoles compete in terms of power with sony and MS, they may as well stick with the hybrid.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hybrid all the way. Even though I barely use the portable mode, just the option of being able to *snap* switch if I want to adds a lot of novelty and uniqueness to the Switch and is what makes the switch.....the switch. Keep the hybrid. More options and flexibility for both sides.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
No. I really like the hybrid nature of the Switch and I would rather buy one machine to play Nintendo's games instead of two.