• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I was insanely lucky that I built my PC when I did. Basically right after I finished building my PC the initial graphics card prices skyrocketed because of the cryptomining and it sounds like it never truly got back down to what it was when I was building mine.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
My fear is how this effects next gen consoles. I was hoping for 24+GB RAM, but not at these prices. Bulk buying or not, Sony and Microsoft will both have to pay extra for RAM this time.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Got the pro, will just cop a 1x. I'm thinking about getting another gaming laptop instead though. A 1060 would definitely last me till PS5 and it's only a band($1,000). I spent 700$ on my 960M gaming laptop 2 years ago so in this case, I actually think that might be a good deal.
Yeah a gaming laptop seems like my only logical choice if I want to get into some PC gaming right now. Some decent prices out there for under a $1000.00 with 1050ti/1060.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's sad but true.

Bought 16 GB of DDR4 3000CL15 back in early 2016: ~90€.
Same kit today: 210€

Asus GTX 1080 Strix in early 2017: 570€
Same GPU today: 665€

Motherboards also went up.

T

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was already going to, and given the exuberant prices, the X would be great value for a 4K TV (Not monitor).

It has back compat and everything.
I'm loving that people are jumping on you for no reason and jumping on the "hurdur stop shit posting train", it's almost like they didn't even read the thread.

Anyways, I'd say go for it since you already have a 4k tv.

I doubt prices are going to go down any time soon, they didn't even that much on black friday.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Eh that depends on who you ask. Ask the guy or something.
He already said: "I'll wait." So, not done with it.

I'm loving that people are jumping on you for no reason and jumping on the "hurdur stop shit posting train", it's almost like they didn't even read the thread.

Anyways, I'd say go for it since you already have a 4k tv.

I doubt prices are going to go down any time soon, they didn't even that much on black friday.
Which part of "I'll wait" you didn't understand?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Honestly you would be hard pressed to build a PC that will outperform the X for $500. This isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Well if prices for PC parts were normal at the moment, you could about match it for about $500. A budget 1060 + g4560 build. It looks like Nvidia's new GPus might be around the corner though, so those might be reasonably priced for the performance, at least for a little while.

Last edited:

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You can't just blame apple for the nand flash shortage, everything needs it and the industry is transitioning to new technology. Not to mention EVERY smartphone needs it, as do game consoles, pre-built PC's, smart thermostats, ect. Apple makes a good whipping boy, but it isn't close to their fault.
You are right. That's wasn't fair of me - and it is a bit of a cheap shot. On the other hand, the sheer volume of NAND chips that Apple buy, combined with the premium of the iPhone probably makes Apple the single actor with the largest pricing power.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
My fear is how this effects next gen consoles. I was hoping for 24+GB RAM, but not at these prices. Bulk buying or not, Sony and Microsoft will both have to pay extra for RAM this time.

I don't think it'll be a problem for too much unless there's a lack of raw materials to produce ram. The amount of devices that need ram is only growing in number and the market will have to respond by increasing production at some point. It's nothing like the GPU market where a there isn't an expanding range of devices needing them.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to upgrade from my GTX 960 after a monitor upgrade to 3440x1440, there's basically nothing out there that's a worthy upgrade and in stock and not $400-$500 more from a reseller.

The specific 1080ti I want I saw go for $1400 yesterday. It's completely asinine. Newegg can't keep any 1080ti in stock for longer than 5 minutes. For nVidia, most of the 1060 stock and all of the 1070/1070ti/1080/1080ti is out of stock and high in price. For AMD, anything 570 and above is just gone (aside from the Vega Frontier Edition which I would rather avoid).

OP
OP
Chief Malik
Okay, so I'm definitely just going to get the gaming laptop at this point. A 1060 is definitely enough to match XB1X plus I'll be getting a CPU that might be like 2 generations ahead or some shit. This laptop is cheaper than an actual dedicated rig with that same GPU and I'm cutting cost on the build by going with things like a 100$ ryzen or whatever.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The OP said he wanted to get an X, what's the confusion?
Get an X and be done? No. OP will wait and is a good thing to do IMO.

Okay, so I'm definitely just going to get the gaming laptop at this point. A 1060 is definitely enough to match XB1X plus I'll be getting a CPU that might be like 2 generations ahead or some shit. This laptop is cheaper than an actual dedicated rig with that same GPU and I'm cutting cost on the build by going with things like a 100$ ryzen or whatever.

Could you tell us the laptop and link, please?

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
Gahhh. I didn't realize it was this dire. I want to build my fiancee a PC, but it stings to pay about the same as my current 2+ year old build for the same or less performance. Any sign of prices returning to sanity?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
16GB memory cost me £200, ridiculous. Almost as much as my motherboard. Definitely some price fixing going on.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I literally won't even consider upgrading my RAM until the prices go down.

That includes my Cpu and a new SSD as well... But I'm still playing all my games at 60fps or higher so that is fine.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
He was already going to, and given the exuberant prices, the X would be great value for a 4K TV (Not monitor).

It has back compat and everything.

It's crazy how folks are trying to jump on you considering the OP even references getting an X. Really not that big a deal.

In regards to OP, I feel ya. Keeping my GTX 970 for now and enjoying my pro/switch for console.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
trend.ram.288dimm.ddr4_3200.4x4096.577e53cf234f777a1df4f3846c8b352d.png

~ https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/

Absolutely ridiculous.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to grab a new GTX 1080 FTW2 a week ago for less than 600, which was surprising to me. It looks like 1070s and below have jumped while 1080s and Tis have streamlined in price. This could have changed though.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Holy balls! I could sell my 1070 for how much?

We definitely need another crypto scandal to hit.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I thought I was smart for waiting out to buy a PC but it looks like my dream of waiting a few years more may not pay off anymore. Guess I'll just buy a monitor only for movies and game on consoles only :(. Mining won't end anytime soon. As long as more types of coins come the demand will be there.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy right now, but I'm willing to wait another year if I have to. My 970 is still doing alright.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
X1X has been an amazing console I'm glad console prices are not as volatile as off the shelf PC parts

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
Samsung will be ramping up ram production with a new plant this year so hopefully prices will even out.
Ryzen 2 will be available in the next few months so I keep looking for a reason to retire the 4790k but ram prices have held me back. The price and component scene should be clearer by June.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd advise no one to build a gaming PC right now, maybe never again. Get a switch or PS4 (or both) and be happy. I picked up a PS4 slim this x-mas season instead of trying to begin to piece together a complete system overhaul.

Intergrated GPUs are better than ever and the sheer number of high quality, non resource intensive games is also more than ever before. PC gaming doesn't require a GPU that takes 2 8 pin PCIe power anymore.

The major issue is this, I'm seeing GTX 1050ti's going for $180+ online and in microcenter, before shipping. That's the fat lady singing on affordability in the PC gaming market. It was only a few short years ago that a GTX750 ti could be found for $110.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't drive by a shit posting no longer a thing?

As for the OP yeah, it's prolly the worst time as to build a PC due to the horird places caused by cryptocurrency.

I wanted to build a PC for one of my buddies buy we decided to wait till summer to see how prices fair out by then.

Its not a drive by since that is exactly what the OP said he was going to do.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Got the pro, will just cop a 1x. I'm thinking about getting another gaming laptop instead though. A 1060 would definitely last me till PS5 and it's only a band($1,000). I spent 700$ on my 960M gaming laptop 2 years ago so in this case, I actually think that might be a good deal.

I bought a laptop with a 1070 last year and only have 1080p displays, this thing will last me 3-4 years easy if nothing else goes wrong. This latest gen of laptop GPUs are such a huge upgrade over what we had before, it's a great time to have a "gaming" laptop.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Built a new Ryzen 7 system with 64 GB DDR4 last summer. The RAM was the single most expensive component of the whole build. Since I'm not using it for gaming, I went ahead and put a Zotac 1050ti in it figuring I'd upgrade it sometime later if need be.

At this rate, it doesn't look like I'll be upgrading it anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, I will be sticking my 1070/7600k for a while if prices don't go back to normal.

I mean, it's a beast now so it's fine, but I don't want PC hardware to stay expensive for a long time.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Holy hell I just looked at them and it's insane. The 1080 ti has amost doubled in price since I bought it just about 4-5 months ago. And graphics cards were already inflated from last year when I bought mine.