Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picking this up tonight. How possible/easy is it to create your own stables / storylines and potentially let matches play out automatically? Like the old VGCW stuff.
This is what I'm wondering about. I'm more interested in the random/wacky nonsense that can happen than in the gameplay/playing it.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the appeal. Having just played the phone version, the game is rough, but it is enjoyable if you have the right mindset. There's a quote out there, along the lines of "if you get wrestling, nothing needs to be said, if you don't get it, nothing i can say will change your mind". And I think it applies here... there's a lot to criticize, but it offers a functional (albeit weird) wrestling game engine (admittedly, one that might work better than the recent clusterfuckery that WWE has been up to), and it offers a ton of variety and things you'll see nowhere else, both because of how random and madcap it is, and because no licensed product will touch some of the IRL issues that this game will lay on a folding table and dive headfirst onto.

I really do hope it comes to other consoles.
I love wrestling games. I've been obsessed with Fire Pro Wrestling for the past few months since the move craft dropped. So I definitely see some appeal here.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I'm making my way through the career mode and this is like the Deadly Premonition of wrestling games. Its janky exterior might make it look bad initially but in reality it is an incredibly ambitious and unique game. The controls are legitimately more intuitive than any WWE game in recent memory and the engine really reminds me of No Mercy in some ways.

And it goes without saying that the game is fucking hilarious. The career mode specifically throws some truly wild shit at you, like podcast appearances with a fake Joe Rogan/Jesse Ventura stand-in and contract negotiations that you can fail by asking for a bit more money or creative control. I actually just signed with the WWE-equivalent promotion after beating "Ripper Ace" and they immediately changed my gimmick to something WAY worse and told me to eat shit for not liking it and now Ripper Ace wants his win back, which might be the most faithful representation of that company ever.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making my way through the career mode and this is like the Deadly Premonition of wrestling games. Its janky exterior might make it look bad initially but in reality it is an incredibly ambitious and unique game. The controls are legitimately more intuitive than any WWE game in recent memory and the engine really reminds me of No Mercy in some ways.

And it goes without saying that the game is fucking hilarious. The career mode specifically throws some truly wild shit at you, like podcast appearances with a fake Joe Rogan/Jesse Ventura stand-in and contract negotiations that you can fail by asking for a bit more money or creative control. I actually just signed with the WWE-equivalent promotion after beating "Ripper Ace" and they immediately changed my gimmick to something WAY worse and told me to eat shit for not liking it and now Ripper Ace wants his win back, which might be the most faithful representation of that company ever.

Ha, Steph and HHH signed me then immediately after, told me to beat up Bray Wyatt backstage.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
This is great, but I have two questions. These may be answered in the tutorial, but that's as wonderfully rough as the rest of the game.

1) How do you throw an opponent into the ropes?
2) How do you get out of a pin or submission? I was mashing everything and nothing seemed to have an effect. I had to take control of my manager and come into the ring to smack my opponent to get me out of a bear hug, lol.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, can't believe I forgot about it already. Definitely gonna buy this, but may be a while as I'm working my way through BOTW.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is great, but I have two questions. These may be answered in the tutorial, but that's as wonderfully rough as the rest of the game.

1) How do you throw an opponent into the ropes?
2) How do you get out of a pin or submission? I was mashing everything and nothing seemed to have an effect. I had to take control of my manager and come into the ring to smack my opponent to get me out of a bear hug, lol.

1) Grapple and a direction in the grapple
2) It is mashing, but sometimes you'll just be in there a while. Hold the left stick towards the ropes to get the break if you can.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you simulate matches? I'm about to buy it as soon as my switch charges enough

Kinda. Just pick a character to play as and if you hit ZL and ZR, you'll change who you're controlling. I'm pretty sure you can just control nobody, but if that doesn't work, just become a manager or a commentator.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What do I do in Campaign mode when my wrestler is exhausted between matches. Their bar is all red.

Swap to a different wrestler? Or do I need to heal them up?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What do I do in Campaign mode when my wrestler is exhausted between matches. Their bar is all red.

You just have to deal with it. It's not a game about winning every match, just doing the best you can.

Sometimes the boss will say you look like shit and give you the option of having the day off. Other times they'll force you to wrestle with an injury.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Definitely need a few beers while playing, looks like a hoot.

OIP.EU455jd1sblq9GAaJrEz2wHaHa

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I just had this happen in my career. I came down sick, I was offered the night off, but decided to work anyway to improve my attitude. Lost to Roman Reigns with an instant armbar. Now I'm back in their office because they struggled to put together a card and want me to work twice in one night with no health!

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I just had this happen in my career. I came down sick, I was offered the night off, but decided to work anyway to improve my attitude. Lost to Roman Reigns with an instant armbar. Now I'm back in their office because they struggled to put together a card and want me to work twice in one night with no health!

Similar thing happened to me where some manager paid me to rough up someone backstage and I had literally zero health, so I just came up to them looking completely exhausted and they knocked me out in a single punch. I laughed so goddamn hard.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Similar thing happened to me where some manager paid me to rough up someone backstage and I had literally zero health, so I just came up to them looking completely exhausted and they knocked me out in a single punch. I laughed so goddamn hard.
Hahaha. Was it not possible to find a weapon and attack them from behind with it?

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Oh shit, there's even a demo?

Nice surprise

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You just have to deal with it. It's not a game about winning every match, just doing the best you can.

Sometimes the boss will say you look like shit and give you the option of having the day off. Other times they'll force you to wrestle with an injury.

Ah, right!

I was also spending all of my 'green energy' on upgrading my wrestler between every match. Should I be doing that? Or is that a health bar too?

This game is great!

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017
I partnered up with a guy to be my mentor. I wrestled in a match where after the time limit who ever had the last pin wins. Despite me winning like 4 pins to 1 I still lost because I got pinned at the very last second.

The ref is like "nahhh redo it". This time I won. Then the Boss is like "hey we need you out for another match tonight " so I go out and it was against my mentor.

However I had no health so I got clocked by a bat and lost.

This game is great

krpiper

Oct 28, 2017
That being said does someone have a more detailed control list or anything like that? I see video of moves being chained together

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That being said does someone have a more detailed control list or anything like that? I see video of moves being chained together

That's not a sequence of buttons, it's random chance. If you have a higher skill level, you're more likely to just follow up with a submission hold or if you hold grapple while someone doves off the top rope, you have more chance of reversing it.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Just watched a video and for some reason they couldn't pin the AI who had no life yet. Is there a trick or is the game needs work?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched a video and for some reason they couldn't pin the AI who had no life yet. Is there a trick or is the game needs work?

Hit them with a bigger move and keep trying. Sometimes it will just happen. Not having energy is not a guaranteed victory, the game is quite random and unpredictable by design, it's not something you're supposed to win at every week, just experience the career journey.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
This game looks hilarious. Can you sim a Universe in this? Set it up with custom belts and rings and have the AI do the matches and angles?If so I'm sold

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks hilarious. Can you sim a Universe in this? Set it up with custom belts and rings and have the AI do the matches and angles?If so I'm sold

You can't... Yet. His other games have had a booking mode added in later, so hopefully this does too. Still not totally AI driven as you have to book it, but it's neat.

resultant

Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
My favorite video game memory is from the Android version of this game, Wrestling Revolution. I was playing career mode, and had become champion. Since you can control your character during their entrance, I made it a thing where I would get on the top rope and taunt before each match. As soon as I became champ, I changed my finish to an arm-bar since the guy I defeated used it as his finish (I was a heel, if you couldn't tell). My next match was a rematch against him, and I planned to use his own finish against him to cement myself as the champ. I got in the ring, went to the top rope to do my taunt, but randomly fell off to the outside before the match even started (damage from the last match carried over, and you have a chance of falling over when you are hurt, randomly). It was a no DQ match, so my opponent went outside, and immediately put me in an armbar. I tapped.

That type of completely dynamic storytelling might sound corny to some people, but it is the closest thing to having a real "wrestling feel" I have ever seen in a game.

As someone who has probably a hundred or so hours on Android, this game is definitely the most competent, complete game MDickie has made. The only thing I feel is missing is a dedicated counter button. The tutorial references counters a lot, and I know they can happen, but I think it's random which is funny but sort of lame. Otherwise, I am not kidding when I say this is the best wrestling game, probably ever. The level of goofy mishaps, dynamic moves and storytelling, and customization is unmatched by any other game in this genre. If you are at all on the fence, but love wrestling, please play this.

I don't want to ignore the possible bad politics that MDickie has (alleged earlier in the thread) but I can't find anything substantial to back that claim up, so I am willing to just enjoy the game for what it is, I suppose.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God, I was Universal Champion and I had a challenege to get my popularity up. I failed and I got fired, but then a thing came up that saying Federation Online's reputation had been decreased as Hasney showed up at wrestling school with the title!

Are first blood matches bugged? I can't seem to win or lose them.

They have to be really bleeding. Cave their face in with a chair repeatedly.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My manager called me out, sick of being on the shadows apparently and demanded a match. Her new client interfered, but I still got the win and injured my former manager.

I would have loved to have seen it that played out in the future but... I may have killed her.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone seen anyone lose limbs? I've had two instances where there were explosives, but everyone made it out intact.