• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
I'm not seeing why people are cheering going public, they will have to increase monetisation to become profitable. Being acquired was the best option, at least then it was more likely to be unchanged.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Good for MS. Spend that 10B on something else.

And other than "boy I'm glad MS didn't get it" going public is not really good news for current users. Once the monetization train gets going people might not exactly be happy with the results.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll get more aggressive with the Nitro subscription (or additional tiers) if they stay on-course for their IPO.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
Now I wish we'd get nice integration of Discord in all 3 consoles.
Dream scenario
Spend that 10 billion on something else please.
still want discord on the Xbox though as an app
Phil: "I'd like to change my order to one Capcom please."
I can see it going public and some basic free features that we takes as granted right now going behind a paywall, which is what probably will happen.
One hundo percento
EjT2KcpXsAIIOFd

Sorry, had to lol.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I cannot emphasize how horribly Nitro was advertised and promoted. It was wrapped in gamer speak and points when it was legitimately competitive with Slack and Zoom in terms of features. Maybe it's improved, but there is a lot of room for growth if they start marketing towards more industries. But if they limit people to only being able to create/join a limited amount of servers before charging a fee I don't think it's going to be the worst case scenario people are imagining. I feel like they have options before they jump to bombarding everybody with ads.
They have options, try to turn more free users into paying ones, make more money out of the ones that are already paying, or make money out of the free users through ads. But I don't think any of these options can be big enough changes to make it profitable without significantly changing how you use the platform. Bombarding people with ads at least might keep some stuff free, but otherwise, or concurrently, they gotta start turning some basic free features into paid ones, or at least turn them to some extent into paid ones (as you mentioned with limited servers).

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
this is going to be "microsoft buys mojang" type thread but in reverse

someone will find this in 2023 and have a giggle i bet

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
good, going public is a preferred resolution
Good, going public was always the better choice.
good, going public is the better outcome.
good, going public is a better path
good, going public will always yield better results
Are we so sure about that? Going public means they need to find new ways to make money. Discord ain't a charity and I wonder whether that's better than them being bought by someone that can leverage their network for something else then maximizing discord profit and keeps the platform ad free for example.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Future thread in 12 months: Why are there so many ads in Discord? What other service do you use?

Unless they can figure out a way to get a higher percentage of people to pay. It's gonna be hard to convince people to pay the equivalent of a game pass subscription for custom emojis and server boosts. They used to have a game library that came with Nitro which was actually kinda cool, but they canned that. When that happened I got a refund for my nitro as they offered them unconditionally.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Pinterest, TikTok, and now Discord. This is the third time in the span of year Microsoft has tried (and failed) to get a social network.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Are we so sure about that? Going public means they need to find new ways to make money. Discord ain't a charity and I wonder whether that's better than them being bought by someone that can leverage their network for something and keeps the platform ad free for example.

sorry but going public is the righteous path

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Going public concerns me more but i guess we will see how they monetize it more in the future. Could be a far worse platform being public than being part of microsoft.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really care about weather ot not they sell to MS. I cared that they sell to someone tho. Going public is by far the worst option for the consumer and im shocked that people here think the opposite. Oh well, discord had a good run.

Yeah I was hoping for a big company to buy them (preferably not a 1st party console manufacturer though). With an IPO, they'll need a path to profitability pretty quickly.

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
If we like a product, we should pay for it. The fact we're getting discord for free is insane right now. What's the big deal with using money to pay for a service you like?

~moral god because I finally paid for WinRAR

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Righteous because you want them to sell all your information and bombard you with ads, or righteous because they stuck-it to Microsoft and you have a bone to pick with them

i pick both. fuck ads, fuck PCs, and fuck being a private company

ppl i'm being very sarcastic rn and im trying very hard to convey that without an /s

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People who believe that somehow MS would have kept Discord Ad-free.

Windows-10-Default-Start-Menu.png

*Shifty Eyes*

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I'm ready for the tons of random TOS updates that will happen in the next few months.

Gimme those updated agreements, Discord!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
10 billion always seemed like a ridiculous user acquisition cost considering how many of those users are probably already in the Microsoft Windows/XBOX ecosystem to begin with. I don't know which ways, but I'm sure there are plenty of better ways to spend 10 billion on acquiring new customers.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm not seeing why people are cheering going public, they will have to increase monetisation to become profitable. Being acquired was the best option, at least then it was more likely to be unchanged.
I don't know if an acquisition was necessarily the best option.

I just think people are fooling themselves if they think Discord isn't going to see significant (and generally undesirable) changes as a public company.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People who believe that somehow MS would have kept Discord Ad-free.

Windows-10-Default-Start-Menu.png

*Shifty Eyes*
They can ham my ass up with ads, I really just don't want features that are free right now go behind a paywall. I think both were going to happen either way, but going public is the one that definitively will have the most aggressive form of both.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Christ, they rejected $12 billion? Yeah, not sure what they are planning but if they think they get a lot more by going Public, there will be some major changes coming in how it does business.
Exactly. It's very unlikely they will have that market cap as they are right now so major changes will very likely be coming.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Discord already has premium features behind a paywall, why are some of you acting like it would be a first? 60fps streaming is also worth it if you use it a lot with friends.

I guess they will move more free stuff behind that sub of course.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Good, now they can stick to their initial plan.

I'd rather that than another corporation buy them and ultimately distort the vision.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Discord already has premium features behind a paywall, why are some of you acting like it would be a first? 60fps streaming is also worth it if you use it a lot with friends.

I guess they will move more free stuff behind that sub of course.
Doing a quick search showed they made an estimated $130 million in revenue by some analysts, mainly off of Nitro, in 2020. No idea what there final earnings were, but they just rejected an offer that was nearly 100x their current revenue. That is a pretty aggressive statement from the company in saying they believe they will make way more money in the future and that going public is the best way to capture that value for themselves.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Clubhouse is valued at $4B based on A16z betting on a declining usage platform. They likely locked in the value quick and A16z is left holding the bag here. They likely got a term sheet signed in like 48 hours over someone enjoying using it.

No one got money out.

CH is already falling off a cliff from usage and downloads and rooms are overwhelmed with MLM.

$10B in cash is way different than a $4B paper value. You can't really sell paper value.

For sure. I'm just saying that since audio is so hot right now and with investors overhyping similar companies, Discord could ask for more. I think yesterday Casey Newton and Zuck were discussing the deal on Discord and it seemed like they both felt that amount was on the low end considering whats going on at the moment.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Always seemed like a weird fit. MS largely already has equivalent tech (Whether they're using it well or not), so this felt like buying a userbase. Price must not have been right for that.

Edit: Oof, 12 billion? I do not see Discord being worth more than that. They're tech isn't something special, and they don't have any obvious revenue streams.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Discord is gonna have to turn itself into a profitable venture, either by selling user data or having ads.
That's my concern too.

Right now as a user it's a service that's almost too good to be true.
  • Free to use
  • No ads or paywall
  • Powerful feature list
  • Great customisability
  • Lots of scope for self-made and third party bot integrations
  • Pretty much identical experience regardless of whether you're on mobile or desktop (this is a huge plus for me personally as I'm a power user)
Something's got to give if Discord is going to turn unto a profitable business (and I'm absolutely not qualified enough to make a guess as to what that could be). I highly doubt Nitro and channel boosts are capable of keeping it afloat.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Folks saying Discord going public is the better path are gonna regret when they find they're gonna need to sub to have the features they currently use for free.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Not looking forward to seeing the methods by which they increase profitability once going public.