IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
im-954574

Source: WSJ

Comcast's NBCUniversal is prepared to pay an average of about $2.5 billion a year to air a package of National Basketball Association games, as rival Warner Bros. Discovery WBD 0.49%increase; green up pointing triangle makes last-ditch efforts to keep those rights, say people familiar with the situation.

Warner's TNT is one of the league's oldest television partners and has paid an average fee of $1.2 billion under its current deal. Warner was unable to reach a new pact with the NBA before an exclusive negotiating window expired last week, which allowed NBC to make a bid.
The package NBCUniversal is bidding on would include playoff and regular season games that would appear on the NBC network, as well as its Peacock streaming service. NBC has discussed carrying two prime-time games a week, something Warner can't offer because it doesn't own a broadcast network.

Sports rights are coveted assets for both traditional media companies fighting to keep cable subscribers and streamers trying to attract and retain customers. The league's discussions with partners for the new round of media-rights deals—which would kick in after the 2024-2025 season and last about a decade—are in the advanced stages.

Disney, the parent of ESPN and ABC, is the other major TV partner and is expected to pay an average per-year fee of about $2.6 billion to renew its deal, the people familiar with the situation said, up from about $1.5 billion a year now.
Each TV partner would air fewer games under their new deals than under the current pacts. The league took some games away from its TV partners during this year's rights negotiations to create a package for a streaming partner. Amazon's Prime Video has already reached the outlines of a streaming rights deal with the NBA.

The league's negotiations with its streaming and TV partners are fluid, and the parties are still haggling over who gets rights to air the most high-profile games and series. Amazon is likely to get a share of the Conference Finals alongside the other partners, and Disney's ABC is on track to retain the rights to the NBA Finals, some of the people said.

Warner's TNT has the ability to try to match rival offers, people familiar with its pact said.
For Warner, the loss of the NBA would be a blow to the strength of its TNT cable network at the same time it is being hurt by cord-cutting and a shrinking advertising marketplace.

TNT still has a heavy roster of sports, including the NCAA March Madness college-basketball tournament, the NHL and Nascar. Without the NBA, though, Warner could have a harder time charging distributors as much for carriage of its channels. Warner's networks currently bring in about $3 a month per cable customer, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Warner Chief Executive David Zaslav has emphasized cost savings and had indicated on calls with analysts that while securing NBA rights is important, the company would be disciplined in its approach to a new deal.
If Warner loses NBA rights, that would injure the planned sports-streaming venture the company is launching alongside Disney and Fox. Carrying NBA games was to be one of its key selling points.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't really care who has the national coverage. What has to happen for me to get my home team's games back on local TV stations? Fuck Bally.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I love Roundball Rock as much as the next guy but losing the TNT guys to whatever talking heads NBC would come up with would be terrible.

Plus doesn't Fox have the rights?

Etter25

Oct 27, 2017
If NBC brings over the Inside the NBA crew and Kevin Harlan, then fine. Otherwise, stay away. Losing Inside the NBA would be a net negative for the league.

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine Warner matches because losing the NBA would make their joint sports streaming venture with Fox and Disney pointless.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If NBC brings over the Inside the NBA crew and Kevin Harlan, then fine. Otherwise, stay away. Losing Inside the NBA would be a net negative for the league.
That's pretty much what Warner did with the NHL on NBC crew when NBC dropped the NHL rights. I would hope they would recognize part of the appeal of the NBA on TNT has been Inside the NBA, and not just in name but the entire crew there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I love Roundball Rock as much as the next guy but losing the TNT guys to whatever talking heads NBC would come up with would be terrible.

Plus doesn't Fox have the rights?
Not for the nba.

Couldn't NBC just buy out Chuck, and the team? Not sure how the contracts work.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More nba games on broadcast would be nice. Haven't seen an nba game on tnt since I dropped cable.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if worst comes to worst, Inside doesn't even require airing the games. They can just be a show talking about the games on another network.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
More nba games on broadcast would be nice. Haven't seen an nba game on tnt since I dropped cable.

That's the weird thing to me.

ABC doesn't air that many games on their network, and they have ESPN to offset that. What does NBCUniversal have? They're not airing regular season basketball games twice a week. Unless this is a really expensive contract mainly for Peacock or something.

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I adore that theme and hearing "This is the NBA on NBC! The 1996 NBA Finals…." Would give me great joy. Inside the NBA is the greatest sports panel show of all time and losing that is worse than gaining Tesh.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A few NBC RSNs already have team rights, I imagine most of their games would be on cable.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's so back, Marv is getting ready to bite people again.

This would be a boon for Peacock and a huge hit to Max's desire to charge extra for sports.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I agree with the general sentiment here: I cannot imagine the NBA without "Inside the NBA" on TNT.
I'll watch Inside late at night without ever caring about the preceding regular season games. I watch old YouTube clips of the show - just as funny as ever.

I watch ESPN/ABC on mute. Don't like the pre-game, don't like the in-game commentary, don't like the post-game.
I wonder if Ernie, Chuck, Shaq, and Kenny would be willing to make the move to Disney? How many of their amazing producers/staff could come, too? Not the ideal outcome, but it would be amazing to see the best crew in sports covering an NBA Final.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's the weird thing to me.

ABC doesn't air that many games on their network, and they have ESPN to offset that. What does NBCUniversal have? They're not airing regular season basketball games twice a week. Unless this is a really expensive contract mainly for Peacock or something.
article says they'll do two nbc games a week. I'd guess that they'd put other games on USA and peacock like they do for the prem.
If you got Max they air there
Haven't had max in a minute, they got their live tv channels streaming there? Or just sports games

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Roundball Rock is not worth losing Inside the NBA.

As a compromise enjoy listening to Kevin Hart humming and dancing to it on that Draft Kings commercial that's already being spammed in the playoffs lol

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Would suck to lose Inside the NBA for this. Even if Chuck, Ernie and crew went over to NBC, would they let them operate to like they do now?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
NBA going to NBC or Amazon would probably be a huge boon for AEW, as WBD would have a lot more money to invest in a TV deal and considerable reason to put it in a live sports-adjacent show immediately to tie to their networks.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Come to think of it, we could see cable networks starting to get squeezed out of sports TV deals as streaming sites and broadcast networks throw money at them to bolster declining ratings.