• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah hospitals dont play with HIPAA. That being said I feel bad for the staff involved (that didnt look at the info). Staffing is going to be a nightmare for weeks.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Good that is how the system works. Every time I go to the doctor HIPPA is drilled int my head, so health care people should know it

Healthcare workers have to recertify for HIPAA every year. You literally have to take a class that says "DONT DO THAT".

So yeah, these people are idiots.

Good to know that there are 50 doctors out there that doesnt care about their patients privacy.

Nurses aren't doctors.

Many people have access to the records system, including medical assistants and technicians. Scheduling and billing people have access. So do managers and research staff.

Doctors probably care the most, considering they have the most responsibility in cases like this. The story itself only mentions 2 nurses.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just earmark such a prolific file thereby blocking access to it in a foresighted effort to curb against human curiosity and you now retain fifty employees instead of losing them?

If those people are willing to break the law over curiosity about a celebrity, they'll probably break the same law when an ex-boyfriend / girlfriend comes in for treatment. The celebrities serve as a useful honeypot to weed out the untrustworthy.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
The only thing that protects peoples information... is not being famous and even then people are still "you won't believe what this patient..."

Was the same stories of friends who worked at credit card companies and would look up celebrities and their purchases all the time until they had to lock it down.

Stuff like HIPAA or "privacy" means fucking nothing when people are curious. The people who get caught and fired for such abuses are the vast minority of people who gleefully will look through your medical records and charts for gruesome pics and what not.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Then get an administrator to give it to them. I can't even change different source code files without going up the chain.

A patient could literally die in the time it takes for an admin to change privileges.

PPI is paradoxically too important to be easily accessible but benefits strongly from being easily accessible in an industry where time is of the essence and people can be quickly shuffled around. HIPAA allows this free-flowing system to exist while placing the onus on employee discipline to prevent abuse.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely the correct decision, going by the article. People are among their most vulnerable when they visiting hospitals and they absolutely don't need to have to deal with the worry that hospitals staff are acting with anything but the utmost professionalism.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The people who get caught and fired for such abuses are the vast minority of people who gleefully will look through your medical records and charts for gruesome pics and what not.

Straight up fear mongering.

I'm a doctor and I've worked in numerous hospitals. No one is going through everyone's chart looking at pictures. No one has time for that. The vast majority of healthcare workers take their jobs seriously, and that includes privacy.

I've seen people fired simply for looking at a friend/family member's chart. These electronic medical record systems have automated flagging for people doing things funny.

Anonymized pictures ARE used in educational activities, such as morbidity and mortality conferences where we discuss things that went wrong or could have been done better during patient care. These sorts of uses are legally allowed and very necessary to educate other health care professionals and improve patient care quality.

Are there abuses of the system? Yeah, a few, here and there. That's true of any system, any system. But it's not the norm, not even close.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Kind of stupid that they now have to spend the resource to retrain 50 people. They could have hand out displinary actions.

I worked for a call center. You usually only get fired for this stuff if you are stupid to tell it outside of the company (post it or tell some client info to your family) I used to check Seinfeld's account and know how many cable boxes he had.
I got fired from a call centre for having my phone in my pocket within the office. However admittedly that's because I was too honest to lie to their face when asked during a random check.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, as someone who works in a hospital, those rules are in place for a reason. I mean they drill it into your head everyone chance they get.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Straight up fear mongering.

I'm a doctor and I've worked in numerous hospitals. No one is going through everyone's chart looking at pictures. No one has time for that. The vast majority of healthcare workers take their jobs seriously, and that includes privacy.

I've seen people fired simply for looking at a friend/family member's chart. These electronic medical record systems have automated flagging for people doing things funny.

Anonymized pictures ARE used in educational activities, such as morbidity and mortality conferences where we discuss things that went wrong or could have been done better during patient care. These sorts of uses are legally allowed and very necessary to educate other health care professionals and improve patient care quality.

Are there abuses of the system? Yeah, a few, here and there. That's true of any system, any system. But it's not the norm, not even close.

I work in medical claims billing. I hear about shit all the time.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
HIPAA is straight up brutal. We hear about it all the time in Med school. Wouldn't even dream of it at this point.

We can't even look ourselves up lmao.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's great that they take this stuff seriously, but shouldn't the access to these records be way more strict to prevent this from happening in the first place?

It's crazy to me that dozens of employees could simply pull up a celebrities private medical records out of "curiosity." Like even when I try to do a simple price match at Best Buy it requires a manager to come over and authorize it. I would expect hospitals to be way more secure.
At the hospital I work at we have what's called "break the glass". Whenever a high profile medical record is pulled up, before you can access it, you have to state the reason you are accessing it and electronically sign.

Anyone who accesses and shouldn'tbe accessing, gets automatically fired.

So there are some protections in place for celebs and high profile people to make double sure people don't go reading their stuff. At least at the hospital I work at

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I work in medical claims billing. I hear about shit all the time.

And I'm a doctor and in 4 years of being in hospitals taking care of patients I've never seen any health care worker just randomly looking through charts. Does it happen? Yeah, there are a few stories out there. Is it common? Not at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I work on medical software. We log basically everything a user does and it never gets deleted to comply with HIPAA. You might not get caught looking into someone who isn't famous, but that record will last forever.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This. Anyone in the medical field will tell you this is the real deal. If you ignore HIPAA, no matter how little the offense, that's on you. Grown adults should know how to rise above the gossip and rumors by this point instead of constantly wanting to be a part of it.

I hope violating someone else's privacy which you have legally sworn to uphold was worth losing your job over. Morons.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
And I'm a doctor and in 4 years of being in hospitals taking care of patients I've never seen any health care worker just randomly looking through charts. Does it happen? Yeah, there are a few stories out there. Is it common? Not at all.

At hospitals? Maybe not, in offices where you are totally unconnected with any face to face interactions with patients and are just some rube in a sea of cubicles who gets bored? I'd wager a lot more than you'd think.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
At hospitals? Maybe not, in offices where you are totally unconnected with any face to face interactions with patients and are just some rube in a sea of cubicles who gets bored? I'd wager a lot more than you'd think.

So people who aren't healthcare workers, just anyone with access to the EMR? Well, ok.

Then just like the nurses in the stories, they're idiots and putting their jobs at risk.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

How would they even know where to start looking for pictures in charts though? Just look through everyone?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
So people who aren't healthcare workers, just anyone with access to the EMR? Well, ok.

Then just like the nurses in the stories, they're idiots and putting their jobs at risk.

I guess its how you define "healthcare worker" I would argue the people who are billing your medical claims and has access to your information are health care workers as well.

How would they even know where to start looking for pictures in charts though? Just look through everyone?

Depends on the system I guess but you just search. Was the same when I worked tech support or friend who worked credit card stuff, can just search.

In terms of the pictures, usually its something they should be working on but "oh this picture is fucking nuts!"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They could have done what most nurses do, have their specific nurse pull up the file and everyone just gathers around the screen instead of a bunch of different people accessing it. Like it or not, when there is a famous person on the floor this is what happens.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good thing.

Hospitals are required by law to do this, but many companies that deal with the public have similar policies in place.

If you're pulling up private information without authorization, you're not protecting client privacy.

HIPAA is a federal law. Any organization that handles health info has to follow it, public or private.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Working in health insurance....yeah HIPAA is no joke. You could get fucked for so much shit. They should have known better. Way to throw your career away.

At my job I'm in charge of sanctions on providers and reviewing cases brought up in state. It may not be the norm, but it's not exactly minimal either.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yup already said its HIPAA. We in health care have been told over and over not to do this. These people can also each be sued as well. And I believe receive a 2000 fine as well.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of stupid that they now have to spend the resource to retrain 50 people. They could have hand out displinary actions.

I worked for a call center. You usually only get fired for this stuff if you are stupid to tell it outside of the company (post it or tell some client info to your family) I used to check Seinfeld's account and know how many cable boxes he had.
Knowing how many cable boxes Seinfeld has isn't nearly as profitable as knowing his medical records

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
They knew better and choose to do it regardless of the consequences. Hospitals take patient confidentiality very seriously. I don't feel sorry for them.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I worked on prison phone systems for a few years and they blocked certain celebrity (and notorious criminals) calls from being accessed. This started when someone accessed Paris Hilton's calls in my office and may have sold things to the pap. I remember being strictly told to stay away from the jails Michael Vick and Hulk Hogan (or was it his kid?) were in "just in case".

Now I just deal with billing. I've had Bill Nye and Robert "T-1000" Patrick read me their credit card numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I was just discussing this with a colleague. We use Epic as well.

We also assumed they didn't use the "break the glass" on his chart. Surely 50 people didn't bypass the gate. I'm not sure of the logistics on that side of the fence, but is the hospital at risk of legal ramifications for not implementing the extra security measure?

It's possible they were maybe only using a read only screen or directory? Could be less security.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
HIPAA is a federal law. Any organization that handles health info has to follow it, public or private.

I know that, which is why I said it is required by law for hospitals. HIPPA doesn't apply to all PII though (just medical records), but it is still a firing offense at many companies that are not covered by HIPPA.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Has everyone skipped over the fact someone in this thread accessed private information at their workplace to see how many cable boxes Jerry Seinfeld has.

Regarding the medical staff, good. HIPAA violations are serious and I'm glad action was taken immediately. HIPAA is in place for a reason and no matter who you are you should expect the utmost privacy with your medical history.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Idiots. Not only is HIPAA drilled into the heads of everybody that works in these fields, but so is the fact that everything you do is electronically tracked.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
beyond deserved, lmao

they shouldn't be looking up some serial killer's private medical info if they aren't involved with their care, never mind this moron

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Northwestern uses Epic for its electronic medical records. For famous patients, hospital IT can implement an UI obstacle ("break the glass"), which requires typing in the user's password a second time, as well as selecting a reason for accessing the medical chart. It really does hinder impetuous curiosity. With 50 fired, doesn't seem like this gating mechanism was used (in time).
Interesting, my hospital org uses Epic as well and I've only ever seen break the glass used for psych purposes.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
You can set up BTG in all sorts of ways. I've seen it done with patient classes, sexual assault documentation or just a VIP. it's up to how your org wants to leverage it.

we actually go one step further and feed our EMR logs to another system that uses AI to identify breaches prematurely - family members, coworkers, people who live on your street, etc. these things happen all the time when humans are involved.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of a story my friend told me about. A guy who got a job he was not qualified for in hospital administration from a family friend was fired on his second day because he wanted to look up famous people in the hospital system.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, some people are (rightfully, apparently) paranoid about accessing Epic at my job since we usually only have an ancillary need to use it. In a way it sucks because when I do need to use it, I don't know a lot of its functions/navigation and nobody else around me knows either. Then I end up spending extra time looking for what I need and it's all being logged that I'm clicking all these extraneous pages… 😰

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
If you ask any medical professional, they will tell you that #1 career suicide move is to fuck with HIPAA. Malpractice doesn't even come close. I am glad it exists.
Yep. I can theoretically commit straight up wanton murder in the operating room and my hospital's lawyers will defend me in court. I violate HIPAA, I'm on my own.

I guarantee some of the employees that searched his data were doctors. I bet good money none of them will be fired.
Maybe not in this example, but I personally know one doctor who was terminated immediately due to violating patient privacy.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, some people are (rightfully, apparently) paranoid about accessing Epic at my job since we usually only have an ancillary need to use it. In a way it sucks because when I do need to use it, I don't know a lot of its functions/navigation and nobody else around me knows either. Then I end up spending extra time looking for what I need and it's all being logged that I'm clicking all these extraneous pages… 😰
My tip to you: the search bar in the top right corner is extremely helpful. It will search the entire patient chart for whatever you enter. If you are not in a patient chart, you can use to to search for different activities associated with your account without digging through a dozen sub-menus.

Signed, your friendly IT pharmacist.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
This is so stupid of them. Just because you know you're curious, doesn't mean you should. You just don't fuck around like that

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that, which is why I said it is required by law for hospitals. HIPPA doesn't apply to all PII though (just medical records), but it is still a firing offense at many companies that are not covered by HIPPA.
Yup, fucking around with personal info at pretty much any job that handles personal information is fireable.