• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spaceships

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I drink lots of the stuff. I think I've been drinking it for about a decade now. It's not new but it is riding the tail waves of kratom to increasing popularity.

It's somewhere around alcohol and benzos. It stimulates you in just a way that makes things like reading, writing, and coding easier and more enjoyable. Just slightly though, just slight enough to notice. I go to the kava bar to read and I drink at home to write.

Occasionally, it'll hit hard and you'll just irrationally find everything funnier. I don't like drugs or alcohol but I do like kava, but I wouldn't miss it

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I forgot about kava! I drank this stuff in college before I turned 21. Always wondered if the effect was a placebo since it wasn't as intense as alcohol/weed, but I guess it's legit.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lot of people jump from this to Kratom. Kava is known to be addictive over time, Kratom is very addictive over time and a favorite for heroine/opioid users.

Not to derail, but careful with Kratom. I went through hell trying to recover from my addiction and people swore left and right how it wasn't addictive, blah blah.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kava was popular for like 5 minutes in the 90s.
Unless what is available now is dramatically different than what was available then, I can't imagine this being any more than either another fad or a niche thing, at least when it comes to recreational usage.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I had it once and I didn't feel anything after 3 drinks. And then their square reader wouldn't work so I couldn't pay. And the owner made me use their ATM which charged me on top of that. Overall, Kava has given me a shit experience.

Crayons

Oct 25, 2017
Theirs always some new under the radar drug.

I bought 2oz's of some stuff called Phenibut a few months back but Im afraid of it. Supposedly you need to take like 1g of it or it can get you FUCKED up...and Ibhave 2 BIG bags..So it sits in my cabinet collecting dust lol

"Phenibut, sold under the brand names Anvifen, Fenibut, and Noofen among others,is a central nervous system depressant with anxiolytic and sedative effects which is used in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia for the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, and a variety of other indications. Elsewhere in the world, it is sold on the Internet without a prescriptionas a "supplement", and is used as a "nootropic" and recreational drug.
Phenibut is used in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia as a pharmaceutical drug to treat anxiety and to improve sleep (e.g., in the treatment of insomnia). It is also used for various other indications, including the treatment of asthenia, depression, alcoholism, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, post-traumatic stress disorder, stuttering, tics, vestibular disorders, Ménière's disease, dizziness, for the prevention of motion sickness, and for the prevention of anxiety before or after surgical procedures or painful diagnostic tests.

[Recreational us- recreationally due to its ability to produce euphoria, anxiolysis, and increased sociability. Because of its delayed onset of effects, first-time users often mistakenly take an additional dose of phenibut in the belief that the initial dose did not work. Recreational users usually take the drug orally; there are a few case reports of rectal administration and one report of insufflation, which was described as "very painful" and causing swollen nostrils."
Phenibut is very recreational and addictive. I remember I took a large dose once and I felt hammered and I had to leave class and go home

Don't recommend

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had some in the South Pacific way back long ago. It's not bad. Tastes gross. Didn't know it was a thing hipsters in America do now.

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I live in Portland, Oregon AKA Hipster Central, and I haven't heard of this yet. I don't think it's that popular yet? Maybe I'm wrong? How odd though.
If you're interested check Bula Kava House in SE. Tried it over a year ago, not really a fan. But wouldn't mind if it was offered. My buddy from the Peace Corps is all about it though. Reminds them of their time serving in Fiji.

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up in Hawaii and been to plenty of Pacific nations where people had kava, many many years ago.

Yeah, it's dirt water in terms of taste. Yes, you need to drink tons of it to really feel anything. No, I'm not a fan.

Then again I don't like poi or poke or kimchi either so I guess I'm not a real Hawaiian resident.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't really enjoy the one time I tried it. The feeling was nice, but subtle. Afterwards I got pretty nauseous and that wasn't worth it. Guess I'd say try it once, but that's enough for me.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, I live in the PNW and have never heard of this. But I also don't frequent those circles. My friends are at best hipster lite

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of my boutique avocado toast chef friends here in Los Angeles care for it.

But for real I had it a few years ago and it wasn't notable.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
Was unfortunately tricked into drinking this once. Tasted terrible, had no noticeable effect on me.

Nomad Blue

Oct 30, 2017
Cardiff, UK
There's two types of kava i think, the tourist stuff that's powdered, tastes like muddy water and isn't that strong, and then kava the proper way which is chewed up kava root that's spat (i think the saliva causes a reaction in the kava) into some material or leaves or something to be filtered and then drank(I've had the tourist stuff, i wasn't going to drink other people's spit!). I'd assume this'd be the tourist type!

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
It's like with absinthe. All the cool Victorian era kids were into it, thinking it's super strong and makes them super high, when really....it was just 50% alcohol. My grandpa's rakija was stronger (at 78%!!!!!).

The same hipsters who are into kava now were probably the same kids who snorted Pixie Stix in middle school. XD

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
There's a kava bar in NYC's East Village called Kavasutra that I've been to a few times with my old English professor and his friends. They sell the powdered version and the liquid version. I had a few eggshells and didn't feel anything because it's supposed to be a reverse tolerance as opposed to drinking booze. It always comes with a pineapple slice to kill the dirt taste.

Going during their happy hour makes it significantly cheaper than going during non-happy hours but the place is tiny. I thought about going back on a date someday but then again, a six pack of Trader Joe's beer is way cheaper.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my gf wanted to try this stuff when we were in denver

it tastes like complete shit and did absolutely nothing to me

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember this from a trip to Fiji, its completely tame and harmless. If memory serves it has a very similar but very low dosage natural occurrence of prozac.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Came in with a curiosity for what kava is, and left learning a ton of new technical terms and lots of drug names... Never have I felt more old and uncool in my life. (full disclosure, never done anything besides alcohol and like 10 shots of my inhaler when I was 8. Not against adults having access to most things besides meth and opiods, those straight up ruin lives, seen that first hand).

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Kava was a fad a couple years ago around here. I tried it once and I didn't care for it. It was like drinking muddy water.

What's alcohol content of a normal bowl of Kava? Less then beer like 3%?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I tried some Kava pills in Vegas and it made me feel like a Vegas tourist who just wasted his money on some bullshit.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Kava was a fad a couple years ago around here. I tried it once and I didn't care for it. It was like drinking muddy water.

What's alcohol content of a normal bowl of Kava? Less then beer like 3%?
None? Kava is its own thing and not something you pound to get thrashed.

If you went to a bar you might have had a drink without much kava in it. But again, it's nothing like being drunk.