Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I wonder if they'll even take the soft pity from Genshin / HSR. Around pull 75 in the Hoyo games your odds shoot up and you rarely ever go all the way to hard pity.

Kuro's other gatcha, PGR, on the other hand has a hard pity of 60. When they say 60 they mean 60. In my year+ with it I've never gotten anything before that.

On the other other hand PGR is structured around being able to get every character FTP.

Good news about the weapons banner though. Among the countless fucky things in gacha, banners like those are… in like the top 5.

I think that's just unlucky irt PGR. I haven't played in a while, but when pulling the like 3 times I did for banner, I got them all relatively fast (I think I got RoboTank Nanami on like the first 10 pull).

This game has been mega hyped. I pre-registered but I never got very far in Genshin Impact. I found that I enjoyed Star Rail a lot more. Smaller worlds, turn based easier for me on mobile. That has me more interested in Etheria Restart since that's turn based

Etheria Restart has my attention too, especially with Dislyte shitting the bed the past year. a CC I like, Zoxas, dessscribed it as akin to Code Lyoko while he was streaming it and that was such a hard sell on me, haha.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's just unlucky irt PGR. I haven't played in a while, but when pulling the like 3 times I did for banner, I got them all relatively fast (I think I got RoboTank Nanami on like the first 10 pull).
On the flipside I think you're just extremely lucky!

I'm not trying to say my anecdotal bad luck makes the case but I've never heard of anyone putting forth the idea that odds grow passed pull 50 or anything like in Hoyo games. As far as I know it's equal odds until 60.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
my body and blade is ready and i hope Kuro is as well

on topic of numbers these pre reg numbers never really mean much even more so for milestones well known most games fudge them for hype which having said that i am hyped for this lol

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Might give this a shot. Are characters more flexible in this than Genshin? I hate 'building' characters in Genshin and how restrictive party compositions can be.

Personally, I greatly dislike Genshin's combat system. This games combat is miles better. Combat is a bit more....DMC-ish.

Traversal is also much improved from games like Genshin.

The dash of a Pokémon collection element with the echos is also a nice touch I think.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they count these insane pre-registration numbers? O:
While I will definitely at least give it a try, I'm not a big fan of what I have so far seen of the game.
I do however hope it'll become a big success with or without me, because after almost 4 years Genshin could use a real competitor, lol. That'll do everyone good.

Off topic but is Genshen a genuinely fun game for someone who is strictly a single player guy looking for an open world game similar to maybe BotW? Or does it have a lot of gacha, rogue, paywall elements to it?

I am a "strictly single player guy" too, open world games are my favorite type of game, and after The Witcher 3 Genshin is my favorite open world game. So this means something.
Yes, it has a lot of similarities to BotW (like the complete openess and traversal system), it was inspired by it after all, however there are also plenty differences. It's more like a JRPG (with a party, and very story driven). As if you crossed something like the Tales of games with BotW if that makes any sense.
The open world, which gets constantly expanded, is by now absolutely massive and absolutely gorgeous.
For over three years I've been documenting my journey in photographs here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/genshin-impacts-incredible-scenic-beauty.424625/

In terms of rogue elements or paywalls. There are none of those. But there is of course gacha! That's how you obtain the vast majority of playable characters. You get plenty characters for free (and those characters get you no problem through the entire game), and you can save up to earn every character for free, but the people who are willing to pay, and pay a lot, will of course get their favorite character instantly, and their coolest looking weapon on top of that. Some really leave astronomical amounts of money in the game...

Last edited:

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
On the flipside I think you're just extremely lucky!

I'm not trying to say my anecdotal bad luck makes the case but I've never heard of anyone putting forth the idea that odds grow passed pull 50 or anything like in Hoyo games. As far as I know it's equal odds until 60.

Actually, yeah, you're right, Gacha's bullshit so i definitely got lucky, not the other way around, haha. I don't think it has soft pity, unless it's mentioned since they have to do that now (for example, Reverse1999 does and is mentioned on the probabilities tab, but Limbus Company doesn't).

Personally, I greatly dislike Genshin's combat system. This games combat is miles better. Combat is a bit more....DMC-ish.

Traversal is also much improved from games like Genshin.

The dash of a Pokémon collection element with the echos is also a nice touch I think.

I feel like it can't be emphasized enough how much someone who 's looking for good combat should not look to Genshin for it. The boss battles are fun enough, but the core combat is so ridiculously flawed.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
So uh, what are we expecting in regards to the controller support on launch? Some half-assed barely working stuff or well done one? Haven't been keeping up with the game and will continue to ignore it if they don't have good controller support worked out on launch.

OP
OP
CrazyHal

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
The thing with Genshin's combat is that it requires little actual skill. Whether you win or lose depends almost entirely on your team composition. You can brute force pretty much all content with OP teams.

Wuthering Waves on the other hand is like the complete opposite where having strong characters probably won't really matter if you don't memorize attack patterns and don't make effective use of dodges and parries.

There were no hit boss videos with just one character as soon as the first technical test if I recall lol.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Juts posting these so you know what to expect from both sides and don't fall in their traps (they just popped up for me):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTqDIENQpQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9HqGlvBEbw

I won't lie, I will enoy seeing comparisons between both games and even fans fighting which is betetr buy I hope this won't devolve into war.
You can enjoy both without being a fanboy of a side. this is what I gonna do anyway, Each oen will have its own strong and weakpoints and probably healthy competiton will make both games better.

One thing Wuthering Waves has disadvantage for is not launching on PS4/5 day one. I really don't want to play this on crappy phones or crappy laptop.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Off topic but is Genshen a genuinely fun game for someone who is strictly a single player guy looking for an open world game similar to maybe BotW? Or does it have a lot of gacha, rogue, paywall elements to it?

Genshin is a fantastic open world game. I like it more than BotW but they honestly are pretty different, especially as you get further. You will interact with gacha for sure, but you don't really need to pay for it. As a new player, jumping in now, you will earn a TON of the currency for rolling on characters just by playing the game.

The thing with Genshin's combat is that it requires little actual skill. Whether you win or lose depends almost entirely on your team composition. You can brute force pretty much all content with OP teams.

Wuthering Waves on the other hand is like the complete opposite where having strong characters probably won't really matter if you don't memorize attack patterns and don't make effective use of dodges and parries.

There were no hit boss videos with just one character as soon as the first technical test if I recall lol.

Generally this is true for every open world game. And while Wuthering Waves does have challenging encounters, the overworld exploration will not be part of that.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Juts posting these so you know what to expect from both sides and don't fall in their traps (they just popped up for me):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTqDIENQpQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9HqGlvBEbw

I won't lie, I will enoy seeing comparisons between both games and even fans fighting which is betetr buy I hope this won't devolve into war.
You can enjoy both without being a fanboy of a side. this is what I gonna do anyway, Each oen will have its own strong and weakpoints and probably healthy competiton will make both games better.

One thing Wuthering Waves has disadvantage for is not launching on PS4/5 day one. I really don't want to play this on crappy phones or crappy laptop.

I can't take that second thumbnail seriously (especially in a post talking about not starting a war lol), even though it's probably just clickbait, but yeah, there's been lame turf war stuff between these 2 games and it's, as usual, pretty wack.

Gershin's flaws exist outside of the existence of other games and, ideally, both sides should want Wuthering to succeed in any capacity since MHY actually having competition can only be a good thing. Hardcore Genshin fans have already staked their claims to the game as their forever game and if Wuthering is somehow able to convince them to leave, that's only a positive imo, because it means WW is doing something right.

Likewise with WuWa, it'll ultimately live or die by its own merits, so warring with Genshin is beyond pointless as they don't listen anyway, lol. For better or worse, Genshin is a known quantity at this point AND it has a severe monetary lead to boot. The hardest part for them will be launch since people are less and less patient these days.

Genshin is a fantastic open world game. I like it more than BotW but they honestly are pretty different, especially as you get further. You will interact with gacha for sure, but you don't really need to pay for it. As a new player, jumping in now, you will earn a TON of the currency for rolling on characters just by playing the game.

Generally this is true for every open world game. And while Wuthering Waves does have challenging encounters, the overworld exploration will not be part of that.

Genshin's combat flaws extend further than the encounters down to the core mechanics themselves. The game is generally pretty smooth, but you have so little actual control over the character that you have to work 'against' the game a lot of the time to be optimal, which is annoying. No Lock on, Overly aggressive autotargeting and the lack of a consistently readable dodge are just a few of the baseline issues.

Also, despite all the currency you get, you also have to deal with the incredibly lackluster intro chapters in Genshin as a new player (I'd argue the story doesn't even get interesting until Sumeru, though that's of course subjective) and you can't skip ANY of the overly long, meandering cutscenes.

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
I'm curious to see how the game will end up being. I already play Genshin and Star Rail though, so I don't think I'd add a 3rd gacha to the mix lol.
I'll definitely keep an eye on that and Zenless Zone Zero though.

Jun 17, 2023
YT content around it has admittedly been a bit weird lol. There's been some drama in the gacha community over it actually because it does feel like there is a part of the community that just doesn't want the game to do well and wants everyone to just glaze ZZZ instead or something idk.
Enjoy the next few weeks of fighting. Probably even months.
J1vdfUD.gif

'Cuz I know I am.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Genshin for over 2 years now. I've only spent roughly $35 on it, I think? Maybe even less than that. I have all the OP characters, got a ton of weapons including 5 star ones and have a good bit of content to go through still that gives you gem since I haven't done most of the new areas they've added in the last 2-3 patches + the character specific quests/hangouts.

In terms of actual in-game content like story parts, character quests, open world section, etc nothing is beyond a paywall. You can play the entire MSQ and side content in the open world without needing to even engage in the Gacha part of it (and you'll easily get enough gems to at least get 10-15 five star characters by the time you've gone through most of the contents in the game, maybe even more tbh).

The only things behind literal paywalls are premium tier of Battle Pass (which is not worth it imo), character skins (there aren't that many) and the gacha system. The first two you need to just pay with your money straight up, but for the gacha system like I said, you can easily get over a dozen 5 star character just by playing through the content that is in the game and pulling for them with the gems you earn from playing. And again, that's me low balling it, especially if you catch up and start doing events as well.

As for grind which is something that a lot of people probably think about, it does exist but not in a way that you might think/imagine. Again, there is no gate keeping for story stuff (both side stories and main story). You can do as much of that as you want, same for open world exploration stuff, you are free to do as much of that as you want. What you'll be grinding for the most part is materials that you'll use to upgrade your characters and weapons and equipment to put on characters. Character and weapon upgrade grind is nothing, they are fairly easy and fast. The equipment part tho... That's the most annoying thing. There is RNG involved there and you really can't brute force it even with money, so it's a system designed to keep you engaged with the game over time as you can only get a certain number of tries per day to get equipment from certain challenge arenas in the game.

Overall, I'd say both Genshin and Star Rail are a lot more single player story focused JRPG that you might think. They are also some of the most high budget games in the genre in terms of production values and just the level of content in them, which is again, alsmot all of it is available for free. So if you are not someone who might fall into the gacha trappings of the game and can be okay with possibly not getting characters when they release, I'd say definitly give these games a try.

Last edited:
Web Event New

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
CrazyHal Can you please threadmark this or put it in your OP?
There is a web even running for quite some time (there is still time to get the full rewards): https://www.reddit.com/r/WutheringWaves/comments/1cfvdov/comment/l3cayfd/?context=3
It can give you an echo to start with plus extra rewards if you unlock more echos in the gallery: https://wutheringwaves-echoes.kurogames-global.com/?lang=en

Choose carefully which echo you gonna lock. Tbh, I don't know what is the best echo to choose.:p I know they are like upgrade materials but how they work or their cost and rarity: zero idea. :p

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
I've been playing Genshin for over 2 years now. I've only spent roughly $35 on it, I think? Maybe even less than that. I have all the OP characters, got a ton of weapons including 5 star ones and have a good bit of content to go through still that gives you gem since I haven't done most of the new areas they've added in the last 2-3 patches + the character specific quests/hangouts.

In terms of actual in-game content like story parts, character quests, open world section, etc nothing is beyond a paywall. You can play the entire MSQ and side content in the open world without needing to even engage in the Gacha part of it (and you'll easily get enough gems to at least get 10-15 five start character by the time you've gone through most of the contents in the game, maybe even more tbh).

The only things behind literal paywalls are premium tier of Battle Pass (which is not worth it imo), character skins (there aren't that many) and the gacha system. The first two you need to just pay with your money straight up, but for the gacha system like I said, you can easily get over a dozen 5 star character just by playing through the content that is in the game and pulling for them with the gems you earn from playing. And again, that's me low balling it, especially if you catch up and start doing events as well.

As for grind which is something that a lot of people probably think about, it does exist but not in a way that you might think/imagine. Again, there is no gate keeping for story stuff (both side stories and main story). You can do as much of that as you want, same for open world exploration stuff, you are free to do as much of that as you want. What you'll be grinding for the most part is materials that you'll use to upgrade your characters and weapons and equipment to put on characters. Character and weapon upgrade grind is nothing, they are fairly easy and fast. The equipment part tho... That's the most annoying thing. There is RNG involved there and you really can't brute force it even with money, so it's a system designed to keep you engaged with the game over time as you can only get a certain number of tries per day to get equipment from certain challenge arenas in the game.

Overall, I'd say both Genshin and Star Rail are a lot more single player story focused JRPG that you might think. They are also some of the most high budget games in the genre in terms of production values and just the level of content in them, which is again, alsmot all of it is available for free. So if you are not someone who might fall into the gacha trappings of the game and can be okay with possibly not getting characters when they release, I'd say definitly give these games a try.
I was going to answer that poster's question but you pretty wrote everything I was thinking of.
I cosign this post.

Oct 25, 2017
What are people seeing in this exactly that Genshin isn't already providing? I get that there's a hunger for some competition for Hoyo, but to then flock to an identical looking game? Is there a different combat feel or something?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What are people seeing in this exactly that Genshin isn't already providing? I get that there's a hunger for some competition for Hoyo, but to then flock to an identical looking game? Is there a different combat feel or something?

the only thing I see is that 4 or 5 combos of characters in Genshin (or even Honkai Star Rail) gives a feeling of playing Vergil from DMC but Wuthering Waves pushes thing further by making almost all characters Vergils. hell they even referenced the vergil chait mod in the game https://www.reddit.com/r/WutheringWavesLeaks/comments/1atzoz0/dmc_5_vergil_chair_reference/

Vegil will always stay the blackbeast of many action games they long to copy. XD

Last edited:

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

Deeper/challenging combat, as beyond said, and less yammering dialogue (hopefully). Wuthering could just as easily devolve into rubbish like Genshin has, imo, always been, but Wuthering is new, I generally like PGR well enough and, if I lose interest in a cutscene, I can just skip it if need be.

Also, if something is messed up in WuWa, Kuro might actually do something about it. The fact that Dehya and Xinyan still exist in the states that they do in Genshin is abhorrent (to me).

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

The combat is the highlight change for sure. But smoother traversal, better combat, updated graphics, and generally better gacha rates and rewards are the big incentives for a lot of people.

I personally am a big pokemon fan too and the concept of echos makes the concept of "grinding" gear a lot more enjoyable.

I also personally like the character design and art direction more.

No Paimon. Already a huge plus.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Also UE4>>>>>>>>>>>>>Unity in both graphics and performance. UE4 can run on old crappy laptops while Unity makes them crash all the time. Impossible for me to play any Unity games like Fallguys, Genshin and Honkai on my old laptop cus they crash on start while playing UE4 and even UE5 games in fine way. I hope a lot of of the enw gachas will drop unity for UE5 and this is already what is going to happen. I saw good looking upcomign gachas using UE5.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Genshin's combat flaws extend further than the encounters down to the core mechanics themselves. The game is generally pretty smooth, but you have so little actual control over the character that you have to work 'against' the game a lot of the time to be optimal, which is annoying. No Lock on, Overly aggressive autotargeting and the lack of a consistently readable dodge are just a few of the baseline issues.

Also, despite all the currency you get, you also have to deal with the incredibly lackluster intro chapters in Genshin as a new player (I'd argue the story doesn't even get interesting until Sumeru, though that's of course subjective) and you can't skip ANY of the overly long, meandering cutscenes.

I would agree that the game doesn't give a good first impression. It took a 2nd try for me to finally get into it as the first area is kind of an extended tutorial of sorts. It was also my first gacha game, so I was pretty behind on understanding how progression worked and stuff like that. I would have to disagree with the combat completely however. I don't really care about being optimal though, so maybe that has something to do with it. It is very responsive and I never had any issues with controling characters. It is very fun to try charaters and teams out but as mentioned it can take a while for you to really understand what the combat is even all about.

Kuro Games is known for Punishing Gray Raven which makes the combat combination of Bayonetta and Bejeweled work and work extremely well.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Beta impressions (and obvious Genshin comparisons):

Negative:

I can only talk from the Beta, but the issue with WW I had there is, that while it is "Vergil" when you are several levels under the bosses, it just becomes button mashing when you are at a similar level.
If you are underleveled, you have to parry and evade. If you are on a similar level, it gets far easier.
Environments are mostly boring. I explored the whole available map but everything feels like "been there, saw that". There was some swamp, some boring mine, a few smaller islands. The best looking part was the main city with its mix of chinese architecture and scifi.

Positive:

Gameplay is fluid.
Far better traversal than Genshin.
The pokemon element was cool.
Technically it seems far more modern than most other gacha titles.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I can only talk from the Beta, but the issue with WW I had there is, that while it is "Vergil" when you are several levels under the bosses, it just becomes button mashing when you are at a similar level.

If you are underleveled, you have to parry and evade. If you are on a similar level, it gets far easier.

Oh I see what you mean. So the challenge is when you are under leveled. I will try both situations and check. Thanks for the tip.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

I saw there was endgame and weekly bosses that really challenge and are above player max level in several videos from CBT2. Is that not the case?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
No to the first one, Yes to the 2nd. If you're looking for a BOTW itch to scratch, this is not the game. The similarities are superficial

YMMV but I find the open world very fun to explore. Even if you're a pure free to play player you'll have no trouble clearing all the story and quests in the game. You get a sizeable amount of the in game currency just from playing and you can use that to pull for limited characters. However, the game does a good job of creating FOMO making you want to pull for more characters and weapons. If you can resist that pull and just be satisfied with a smaller roster of playable characters, there is a huge open world for you to enjoy with puzzles to solve all for free.

As a certified Genshin hater, what are you looking for in regards to the open world? It's only surface level comparable to BOTW as the interactivity is leagues below BOTW, as there are no real physics at play. The combat 'exists' but the real fun of it is largely dependent on who you happen to roll, imo, as the free units they give you, like Amber or Lisa, have kits that work but aren't very interesting.

There is no paywall outside of, again, the combat fun, as some characters, especially the later on they were developed, just straight up have more fun kits to use. They've increased the banners you can pull from recently, but you're dependent on who is 'on' banner at the time for the majority of the higher tier units in the game.

As someone who cares a lot about fun combat and at least somewhat decent story pacing, Genshin is not a good game, but if exploring beautiful vists is what you're looking for, I can't deny that Genshin has that in spades. There are times where I'll come across environmental setpieces and be genuinely impressed at how they look.

I wonder how they count these insane pre-registration numbers? O:
While I will definitely at least give it a try, I'm not a big fan of what I have so far seen of the game.
I do however hope it'll become a big success with or without me, because after almost 4 years Genshin could use a real competitor, lol. That'll do everyone good.

I am a "strictly single player guy" too, open world games are my favorite type of game, and after The Witcher 3 Genshin is my favorite open world game. So this means something.
Yes, it has a lot of similarities to BotW (like the complete openess and traversal system), it was inspired by it after all, however there are also plenty differences. It's more like a JRPG (with a party, and very story driven). As if you crossed something like the Tales of games with BotW if that makes any sense.
The open world, which gets constantly expanded, is by now absolutely massive and absolutely gorgeous.
For over three years I've been documenting my journey in photographs here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/genshin-impacts-incredible-scenic-beauty.424625/

In terms of rogue elements or paywalls. There are none of those. But there is of course gacha! That's how you obtain the vast majority of playable characters. You get plenty characters for free (and those characters get you no problem through the entire game), and you can save up to earn every character for free, but the people who are willing to pay, and pay a lot, will of course get their favorite character instantly, and their coolest looking weapon on top of that. Some really leave astronomical amounts of money in the game...

In terms of actual in-game content like story parts, character quests, open world section, etc nothing is beyond a paywall. You can play the entire MSQ and side content in the open world without needing to even engage in the Gacha part of it (and you'll easily get enough gems to at least get 10-15 five star characters by the time you've gone through most of the contents in the game, maybe even more tbh).

Thanks all! It sounds like it's worth trying at least since it's free to download. Also I didn't so much mean BotW as far as physics and puzzles and stuff (although that would be awesome), but more just the world itself and that it reminded me of it. I do hope it has puzzles and good exploration, but yeah I think I'll try it out and see. Thanks again!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna give this game a shot. I dunno if I will really have the time to juggle both this and Genshin daily, but at least itll be nice to have something to play during Genshin downtime.

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
Thanks all! It sounds like it's worth trying at least since it's free to download. Also I didn't so much mean BotW as far as physics and puzzles and stuff (although that would be awesome), but more just the world itself and that it reminded me of it. I do hope it has puzzles and good exploration, but yeah I think I'll try it out and see. Thanks again!
The first region (Mondstadt) is a lot smaller than the areas after, but it's a good sort-of tutorial area. Like you said, it's free, it's worth giving it a shot.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt play that much to reach those bosses you mean, just the normal story bosses. I saw people in the discord talking about those harder bosses, so it might still be valid.

I wantot know how is the co-op in this game. I barely use the co-op in Genshin, most of the players who join are trolls that hinder the boss battles instead of helping, let alone joining your world for normal quests, they just harass to join then do nothing or stall or troll.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Granted I've never played these types of games, so I've never heard of this one, but 30 million seems like a crazy impossible number.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know, you missed years of events and rewards, but you can still make it and enjoy the game. Don't waste time anymore. Honkai Impact was out since 2016 and I missed it so I felt it was already late to start it now. Don't waste as much time for Genshin and even Honkai Star Rail.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CrazyHal Can you please threadmark this or put it in your OP?
There is a web even running for quite some time (there is still time to get the full rewards): https://www.reddit.com/r/WutheringWaves/comments/1cfvdov/comment/l3cayfd/?context=3
It can give you an echo to start with plus extra rewards if you unlock more echos in the gallery: https://wutheringwaves-echoes.kurogames-global.com/?lang=en

Choose carefully which echo you gonna lock. Tbh, I don't know what is the best echo to choose.:p I know they are like upgrade materials but how they work or their cost and rarity: zero idea. :p

I locked a wolf looking thing because it looks cool, yolo

m7AumdN.png

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

The world itself is one of the best the genre has to offer, but it does start off slow. Lots of talking, lots of tutorials and the initial area hadn't seen Mihoyo hit their stride yet.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Honestly you are probably better off starting Wuthering in a week than you are starting Genshin now. Gachas and MMOs are usually easier to get into when they start up rather than years down the line.

Like you, I gave Genshin another chance late last year after being all caught up in Star Rail, and found the game meanders a lot and found the game feeling intimidating to get into, especially feeling like I was missing out on events since I was not in the areas or cleared the MSQ prerequisite to do them. And it feels bad when it happens. I got to Inazuma and by the end I just couldn't take the combat, traversal, or Paimon anymore.

That said, if Genshin art style appeals more to you, I cannot fault you for that.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
How is that even impossible when the fame of this game is skyrocketing even before release. The game is so popular, it has many cosplayers and fans in big events like animecon and it isn't even released: https://www.reddit.com/r/WutheringW...od_imagine_cosplaying_this_for_an_unreleased/

Yeah totally, again, im not well versed in the numbers associated with gotcha games. Its just seems crazy to me at first glance. When a game sells 30 million copies it's one of the best selling games of all time. But I can see how that number can be much higher when it's free to download.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Combat look better than Genshin, but the world looks very bland. I guess they're trying to go for a bleak setting, but it doesn't look very engaging.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah totally, again, im not well versed in the numbers associated with gotcha games. Its just seems crazy to me at first glance. When a game sells 30 million copies it's one of the best selling games of all time. But I can see how that number can be much higher when it's free to download.
Pre-registering is free and these games are huge in China, which has a big population but usually isn't really much of a target market for the big AAA console games you might be thinking about.
For reference, Honkai: Star Rail launched to a pre-registration number that was just shy of 33 millions, with 23 million from China and 10 from the rest of the world. Also there's no real "security" against people registering with multiple emails and what have you, or them just manipulating the numbers however they want.
Those 33 million pre-registrations resulted in ~12 million downloads on mobile in its first month though + an unknown amount of PC downloads and they've announced 100 million downloads across all platforms after a bit over 9 months, which is probably a slightly more reliable metric.
These games are big.